Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SOFT NEWS BARBRA, JOAN, JERRY, AND OTHERS, ALL MADE OF TRASH Artist Jason Mecier sculpts the rich and famous out of
+ Reply to Thread

BARBRA, JOAN, JERRY, AND OTHERS, ALL MADE OF TRASH Artist Jason Mecier sculpts the rich and famous out of

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/2679...f70d-207490117

Artist Jason Mecier sculpts the rich and famous out of detritus
    By Marjorie Ingall
    August 6, 2018

As a child, artist Jason Mecier was an obsessive scrapbooker, whipping up portraits of his fave TV stars from issues of TV Guide. He grew up to create portraits of celebrities in dried beans and noodles (“They don’t call me the Macaroni Monet for nothing!”) and moved into more diverse media such as pizza crusts, hair-dye applicators, pompoms, orthodontic retainers … basically all the detritus you can name. As Mecier gained fame as a portraitist, he also gained access to celebrities’ own trash. Phyllis Diller sent him 40 boxes of junk, including pine cones and prescription bottles, which he’s turned into three portraits–thus far. “My aim is to blur the line between high and low in both art and pop culture,” he writes in the intro to his dizzying, giggle-and-gasp-inducing Pop Trash: The Amazing Art of Jason Mecier. “I like applying a down-to-earth, arts and crafts approach to representing flashy subjects.” He’s conjured David Bowie out of makeup, glitter, and feathers; Clint Eastwood out of bits of wood, nails, bullets, bone, leather scraps, and a stun gun; Kevin Bacon out of (of course) bacon; and Snoop Dogg out of (of course) weed.

As this is Tablet magazine, we focus on the Jews. Our faves:

Barbra Streisand in cassette and 8-track tapes, record sleeves, embroidery, feathers, corn-cob holders and a Macy’s charge card, 2012. (I also spy doll parts, a Covergirl mascara tube, a Ricola cough drop, and metal eyelash curlers.)

Jerry Seinfeld, various breakfast cereals, 2000. As all Seinfeld watchers know, the man loves his breakfast cereal. In Mecier’s portrait, Seinfeldian character names are spelled out in Alpha-Bits.

So do these works trigger thoughts about the empty calories of celebrity worship, the evanescent nature of fame, the strictures of performative femininity? Sure. But they’re also just super fun.
    Attached Images

Albert Einstein in puzzle pieces, electronics, comb, feathers, and a compass face, 2014. (I also spot a tiny plastic skull and wishbone, a watchband, portraits of Charlie’s Angels and Marilyn Monroe.)

Joan Rivers in skin cream and pain reliever packaging, hair spray, CDs, scissors, broken plate, and gefilte fish, 2014. “I made this one primarily from leftovers of other comedians’ junk portraits (Phyllis Diller, Margaret Cho, Rosie O’Donnell, Ricki Lake),” Mecier writes. (You may also find Botox packaging, Accent flavor-enhancing seasoning, Monistat yeast-infection cream, a Jolen bleach box, an “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” lid, Metamucil, and latex glove packaging.)
    Attached Images

http://www.broadwayworld.com/amp/c.p...-Week-20180814

Art Bureau Mosaic Portrait Of Michelle Obama Is On View In Harlem By Artist Lennox Commissiong At Dwyer For Harlem Week

Aug. 14, 2018
    Art Bureau Mosaic Portrait Of Michelle Obama Is On View In Harlem By Artist Lennox Commissiong At Dwyer For Harlem Week
    A dramatic portrait of former First Lady Michelle Obama by artist Lennox Commissiong, a mosaic comprised of thousands of colorful paper dots, is on view in the WIZARDHANDS exhibition at Harlem's Dwyer Cultural Center, 258 St. Nicholas through August 26. "Michelle Obama comported herself with grace and dignity through one of the most racially troubled periods in recent times," said Commissiong.

"Each color dot represents the millions of women, of every race, creed religion, she inspired along the way." The Michelle Obama portrait, created in the pointillism art technique, is part of Commissiong's WIZARDHANDS exhibition. His subjects range from cultural and political figures to jazz musicians.

Over 20 artworks in the exhibition range from pointillism portraits of cultural legends like Tupac Shakur, Bob Marley, Muhammad Ali and Thelonious Monk to abstracts, water colors and pencil drawings.

"I use an exacto knife and ruler to cut little pieces of museum quality Color-Aid paper," the artist explains. "Each little piece is maybe one-centimeter square." Pointillism is a technique of neo-impressionist painting, using tiny dots of various pure colors, which become blended in the viewer's eye. Commissiong has mastered this technique using small pieces of Color-Aid paper, instead of paint. Each portrait takes him about 300 hours to complete.

"Lennox's unique style and fundamental understanding of the use of color draws one into his work and leads you through an exploration of the individual pieces," said Minerva Diaz, WIZARDHANDS curator and director of programs and operations at Dwyer Cultural Center.

"A few years back I attended his first show where I was drawn to his "Ali" piece and found myself exploring the tiny pieces of colored paper that captured the essence of his subject. His work introduced me to his unique twist on the style of pointillism and I've been talking about his work since."

Lennox Commissiong was born on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, his family moved to Brooklyn when he was age 14. He grew up in Brooklyn and is a graduate of Brooklyn College. His exhibitions include: "Reflections of Monk" Exhibition Wilmer Jennings Gallery; "Pushing Paper: Realizing the Potential of the Medium" at the Barrett Art Center in Poughkeepsie; "Foundation" at Expressions Art Gallery in Harlem and "Black History Month Presents: Exhibition of the Artwork of Lennox Commissiong" at Bay Shore-Brightwaters Library in Long Island, Brookdale Hospital Gallery in Brooklyn and the Harlem Fine Arts Show.

WIZARDHANDS is on view during HARLEM WEEK. The exhibition is open to the public on Fridays from 5:00pm - 8:00pm or by appointment at thedwyercc@gmail.com. There will be a closing reception on Sunday, August 26 from 2:00pm-5:00pm. For more information on WIZARDHANDS art, please check out http://wizardhandsart.com
    Attached Images

Picture of Madonna son composed entirely of photos of Madonna

http://Www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ans-Queen.html
    Attached Images