Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR The Perseid meteor shower is here again!
+ Reply to Thread

The Perseid meteor shower is here again!

http://www.spaceweather.com/

A PERSEID IN THE PLEIADES: The Perseid meteor shower is intensifying as Earth moves deeper into the debris stream of giant comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. Observers with the International Meteor Organization are reporting 20 to 30 meteors per hour from dark sky sites. "Last night, I saw a lucky Perseid strike right through the heart of the Pleiades," says Pierre Girard of Milton Keynes, UK:

The rainbow-colored meteor was about 3rd magnitude--that is, similar in brightness to the stars of the Seven Sisters. Some Perseids are much brighter than that. On Aug. 9th, NASA's network of all-sky meteor cameras recorded 15 Perseid fireballs over the USA. Fireballs are meteors more luminous than Venus that can even cast shadows on a very dark night.

The Perseid meteor shower is expected to peak this weekend with 100 or more meteors per hour. The best time to look is during the dark hours before sunrise on Sunday, August 12th, and again on Monday, August 13th. At those times, the shower's radiant will be high in the sky, spewing meteors in all directions. [sky map]

It looks like we won't be able to see it here in S. Utah. We have a thick haze from the fires hanging over us. They are also call for thunderstorms thru next Wednesday. Hopefully we will get rain and not dry lightning.

Damn! Going to miss this. Right now we're lucky if we can see half a mile due to all the friggen smoke!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Clouds in Hill Country
    Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
    Has the captain let go of the wheel?
    Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
    I see the road to tomorrow in the haze - Queensryche

Not even going to try. Been cloudy for over a week now, day and night. Plus rain. AND I am not even alive at that time of the night, early morning. More like trying to get sleep under my belt. Gotta be more than 30 an hour to peak my interest anymore.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Saw a really bright one last night.
    I remember lying on a blanket on the grass as a kid watching the meteors also, it was one of the last summer things before getting new clothes for school.
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

They peak every year on our wedding anniversary 8/12. Twenty nine years this time. We lay out on therma rests that night every year and just enjoy the show.
    To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license. Nobody actually reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree." - unknown

Too smoky here as well.
    "I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Quote Originally Posted by Creedmoor View Post
    They peak every year on our wedding anniversary 8/12. Twenty nine years this time. We lay out on therma rests that night every year and just enjoy the show.
    Happy anniversary! Our 16th was just yesterday. But it was overcast last night and still that way this morning. Sigh.....

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by dstraito View Post
    Clouds in Hill Country
    Thunderstorms now and cloudy all week out on the Edwards Plateau. I really wanted to see this, maybe next year...
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

11. Perfectly clear skies here. We’re so excited! We have a bottle of wine and plan to head out to the beach to catch the show.

Perfect conditions in my location in the PNW. YES!!!

Rain here in Ky
    beardog

Take me as I am or don't take me at all

More like a meteor drip....... ��

Between clouds and smoke, my viewing window was short last night. I was disappointed to not see anything. Hopefully it'll be better tonight or tomorrow night.

http://spaceweather.com/

PERSEID METEOR UPDATE: Perseid meteor rates are climbing as Earth moves deeper inside the debris zone of comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. Observers with the International Meteor Organization are reporting as many as 40 meteors per hour from dark-sky sites. These rates could double or triple by the time the shower peaks on Sunday night-Monday morning. No matter where you live, the best time to look is during the dark hours before sunrise when the shower's radiant is high in the sky. Resources: photo gallery, sky map.

Well, it looks like it will be a "washout" here in Central Texas. But, I will certainly take the rain! We got four inches last night! Our tanks are looking really good now, and I hope the pastures recover. Last week we had to start haying, and so we carried a load to the sale barn. Time to cull.

Went out with kids and saw a few. They saw one bright one before I made it outside. Those I saw were small and somewhat dim. Will try again at 0330 when we try to catch the solar probe launch. We're about 90 mi N of Canaveral so hoping the trajectory is somewhat northbound.

Was hoping the smoke haze would clear it wasn't super bad but makes sighting meteors difficult. I was awakened at 3 am by one hell of a dry lightening storm. It got super windy, I went to my mom's at 3pm, and the air had cleared a lot, when I went back at 7pm there was a thick smoke bank that literally blocked the sun to the west-in 20 minutes the wind changed and the fire 3 miles away has blanketed the town in such thick smoke it looks like orange fog. No Perseid's for us.

Spent 3 hours on the river watching homes burn with the owners sometimes standing right next to me, very sad. I'm hearing observation planes (one is flying over right now) but they can't dump at night so the fires mostly burn and it's still breezy.

Sorry to derail the thread.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

We are under smoke here in MN as well. Sounds like it might clear today.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

About 11pm I saw one faint and one medium sized meteor. Anyone seeing anything good out there? I'll try again tonight.

http://spaceweather.com/

THE PERSEID METEOR SHOWER IS INTENSIFYING: Perseid meteor rates are swiftly climbing as Earth moves deeper into the debris zone of comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle. Forecasters expect as many as 100 meteors per hour when the shower peaks on Aug. 12th and 13th. The sky is getting so busy that astrophotographers are having trouble keeping meteors out of their exposures:

"On Saturday night, Aug 10th, a Perseid meteor streaked by my framed image of M27, the Dumbbell Nebula," says photographer Ric Babcock of San Juan Bautista, CA.

The Perseid meteor shower is always good, but this year it is extra-good. The Moon is nearly New during the shower's peak, providing a velvety-dark backdrop for the display. The best time to look is during the hours before sunrise on Sunday, August 12th, and again on Monday, August 13th. At those times, the shower's radiant will be high in the sky, spewing meteors in all directions:

For best results, get away from city lights. Dress warmly, lie down on a blanket in a safe, dark place, and look up. Perseids can appear in any part of the sky, although all of their tails will point back toward the radiant in the constellation Perseus.

My experience with meteor showers over the decades has been like fishing: You spend a lot of time and usually come back empty handed.