Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WTF?!? Mom detained in Dubai after drinking complimentary glass of wine on Emirates flight
+ Reply to Thread

Mom detained in Dubai after drinking complimentary glass of wine on Emirates flight

Mom detained in Dubai after drinking complimentary glass of wine on Emirates flight
    Kathleen Joyce
    7-9 minutes

A mother from Kent, England, and her young daughter were jailed in Dubai for three days – where she was allegedly denied water and forced to clean toilets – after she admitted to drinking a glass of wine on the incoming Emirates flight from London.

It’s illegal to drink alcohol or be intoxicated in public in Dubai, one of the seven emirates of the United Arab Emirates.

Ellie Holman, a 44-year-old dentist originally from Sweden who resides in Britain with her husband and their three children, was arrested on July 13 after landing in Dubai with her 4-year-old daughter, the Press Association reported.

Upon arrival in Dubai, an official reportedly told Holman she needed to return to the United Kingdom immediately because of an invalid visa, at which point she took out her phone and started filming the encounter, according to human rights group Detained in Dubai.

Holman said the official was “dismissive and rude” to her, and asked if she had been consuming alcohol. She admitted to the official that she had a complementary glass of wine on the Emirates flight.

Holman, unaware that it was an offense to film the encounter, and illegal to drink alcohol, was taken into custody, Detained in Dubai reported. The mother and her daughter also had their passports and electronic devices confiscated.

Holman said in a statement to Detained in Dubai that the prison guards also attempted to pull out her hair extensions, and the prison facility was “hot and foul-smelling.” She claimed she and her daughter were forced to sleep on a “filthy mattress” and to clean toilets.

“My little girl had to go to the toilet on the cell floor. I have never heard her cry in the same way as she did in that cell,” Holman said in a statement.

Holman added that she was given food that “smelled like rotting garbage.” She said her husband and friends tried to visit her in jail, but they were not allowed to see her.

Holman was released on bail days later, but could face “being detained in Dubai for up to a year while awaiting a court hearing,” The Guardian reported. Her passport was confiscated until the case is finished, and she claims to have already lost thousands of dollars in missed wages and legal costs.

Her daughter returned to the United Kingdom with her husband.

Holman was initially traveling to Dubai with her to daughter to visit friends for a few days. She has been in the country before.

A representative for Emirates was not immediately available to answer questions regarding the consumption of alcohol on flights entering Dubai.

Radha Stirling, Detained in Dubai’s chief executive, said it is “wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant, and if breathalyzed, that person will be jailed."

However, Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade says that being intoxicated, and not neccessarily just having a small amount of alcohol in your system, is what's actually forbidden, according to News.com.au.

“It’s illegal to drink alcohol or be intoxicated in public,” the department states. “You can be arrested. Foreigners have been arrested on arrival after becoming intoxicated on incoming aircraft or while in transit.”

Kathleen Joyce is a breaking/trending news producer for FoxNews.com. You can follow her at @Kathleen_Joyce8 on Twitter.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...es-flight.html

This actually made me laugh out loud. All that's missing is her telling the customs person, "Don't you know who I am?" What's next? Hiking in the mountains of Iran? Westerners are so arrogant.

Why the **** were they served wine by the Arab airline who know full well the rules................

At first I was ready to feel sorry for her but no. She brought it on herself starting with pulling out her phone to record the customs guy denying her entry. How is it she thought that would be okay. You have little to no rights in these countries and she's a woman in a Islamic country as well. We know how they treat women.

Reminds me the other story a year or so back of the woman got caught bringing pain pills into Egypt. Lucky if she'll ever see the light of day again. What are they thinking.

I'm sorry but if it were a problem for a tourist to be drunk in Dubai half those in the country would be under arrest. She pissed someone off about something.

Invalid visa and liberal arrogance is what got her arrested not a glass of wine. Act like an asshole and you get treated like one.
    vienna 1683.

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his.

In a right-thinking world the UK's ambassador would quickly deliver a note to the Dubai government to the effect that the UK's Prime Minister would be pleased to see the British national and her daughter immediately released - and given a $50,000 parting gift by way of apology - to avoid the unpleasantness of sending Special Boat Service commandos to free them. It would also avoid the unpleasantness of freezing UAE financial and shipping assets.

We won't see that of course because the UK was corrupted decades ago by Arab oil money and suffers a severe testosterone deficit.

Best regards
    Doc

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why the **** were they served wine by the Arab airline who know full well the rules................
    That's what I was thinking! She very well may have been have been acting like a jackass in general but serving alcohol on their plane and then arresting people who partake because they are "intoxicated in public" sounds a little bit like entrapment to me. And who the heck get's schnockered on one glass of wine? Especially one glass of the size they would serve on an airplane.
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

Perhaps people should be a bit more selective on where they decide to vacation and if they decide to go to some of the less friendly locales like the middle east, perhaps they should become a bit more familiar with the laws and penalties before arriving and having a less than stellar vacation.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.

--Benjamin Franklin

where's that stupid a-hole Muslim London mayor when you need him ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by rlm1966 View Post
    Perhaps people should be a bit more selective on where they decide to vacation and if they decide to go to some of the less friendly locales like the middle east, perhaps they should become a bit more familiar with the laws and penalties before arriving and having a less than stellar vacation.
    Actually Dubai is filled with debauchery.. lol it's quite free unless you make someone mad or act like an idiot.

Did anyone else catch... “they tried to pull out my hair extensions”. Maybe they she was smuggling something in???

Has to be more to this than we are told. Not planning to visit any Muslim country myself but she apparently has been there before so she knows the rules. She might have pissed off her friends who, once they heard she was coming, called the Dubai authorities and set her up.

Or she was being an ass.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Snowflake move to try to snap picture of the custom officer. You be in another world now.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

My daughter has gone to Dubai with her husband on a business trip. They even took their baby with them … and no, I wasn't thrilled but his contacts helped with "boundary behavior" type issues. First … don't drink. Ever. Not even if you are offered something. Second, my daughter stayed in her hotel room unless her husband was with her and they only went to major tourist attractions. Everyone adored our grand daughter … and laughed at my son in law's red hair and kept reminding him to stay out of the sun.

Dubai is about as modern as they come in the middle east. They've got some hang ups but overall it isn't impossible to travel there and there are major western cruise companies have it as a major port to visit on a regular basis.

However, like any place, use of common sense and cultural courtesy are an absolute necessity. The ding bat drank on an in-bound flight and then started taking pictures without permission and had a serious attitude. Three strikes and you are out.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

no thanks, why support with any tourist dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    where's that stupid a-hole Muslim London mayor when you need him ....
    Why, he's off plotting the demise of all Europe. That's where he is.
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm