Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT My contract is over Sept 1st - UPDATE, post 82
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Do you want to stay in Austin? Texas?

Adding my prayers for you that you find a job you love that starts when you want it to start and pays more than you want it to pay.

HD

I hope you find an equally good position really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    That’s pretty funny. You must not know what software developers make (heh). Let’s just say that’s a tad on the low side...

Sorry. No offense intended. Didn't know your skill level. Son of a friend of mine was a software developer in Ca. Made $millions.

No offense taken at all. It was kinda humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by bev View Post
    Do you want to stay in Austin? Texas?
    Yes, if I can. Huge hassle to move.

Don't get many offers out of Austin but I get two or three solicitations out of Dallas every week and I am not seeking a new position they have just found an old copy of my resume online or my profile in linked-in. I just ignore them as I have no desire to relocate and definitely don't want to move from bad traffic to worse traffic.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.

--Benjamin Franklin

Prayers for your job search.

Susan

Smokin' economy they say. Employers should be falling all over you. Yet they're not. Trying to do a move to another place and get a job too. Unless I'm a trucker, I'm not, I'm not getting any bites, one call and one interview with nearly two dozen resumes out. Problem is I'm outta state and they want nuttin' to do wif me.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-wo-di View Post
    Good luck Dennis. I have been out of work for a year and at age 68 it is not looking good.
    Prayers sent up here for both situations.
    2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of Godó 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. - 2 Tim 3 NIV

Sending prayers your way. You are an amazing person and there is a job out there for you.

Prayers going up!

Hello Dennis,

Adding my prayers for that next job - better than you've had!

The Lord knows your needs and He will provide!

A blessing for you (my Scottish heritage):

May there always be work for your hands to do.
    May your purse always hold a coin or two.
    May the sun always shine upon your window pane.
    May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
    May the hand of a friend always be near to you and
    May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Prayers sent. Keep us posted on how it goes. Good Luck.

My first interview is tomorrow. I don't have much confidence that I'll generate an offer. I'm not even in "job interview" mode yet. You have to psyche yourself up for all that crap.

Thanks for the kindness everyone. I'll let you all know how the hunt goes.

My first interview is tomorrow. I don't have much confidence that I'll generate an offer. I'm not even in "job interview" mode yet. You have to psyche yourself up for all that crap.

That alone should be a sign. You posted this yesterday. Two days later you've got an interview.

Prayers up and fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by connie View Post
    If you are open to moving, check the Midland-Odessa area. Area is booming because of oilfield.. Prayers that you find something soon.
    Housing costs are ridiculous, though!

What's ridiculous in terms of modest home rental?

Just remember where you were a little more than seven years ago, Dennis, and where you are now. I have a feeling you'll be fine.

Prayers from this corner. I won't be surprised if you need to pack up and move to the Des Moines Metro. IT is taking off here.

Prayers and completely confident you will find something.
    Annie
    "A dog wags its tail with its heart"

One good thing I know about you, you will not be leaving your pup behind because "you have to move" like so many do.
    Annie
    "A dog wags its tail with its heart"

Had my first interview today. It seemed to go well. The headhunter will try to get back to me today.

That sounds like a positive start! Looking forward to a good news report any minute now.

That’s pretty funny. You must not know what software developers make (heh). Let’s just say that’s a tad on the low side...

That's more than a tad on the low side and I'm not even a software developer I'd be considered a lower position than that........

Dennis, if they have any brain cells connected, they'll know that you're a winner... Keep on, until YOU get the result you desire!

OA
    Romans 10:8-10 (ESV)
    8 But what does it say? ďThe word is near you, in your mouth and in your heartĒ (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Had my first interview today. It seemed to go well. The headhunter will try to get back to me today.
    Good! Hoping for the best!
    Sapere aude

You're going to be ok. A good job will pop up, maybe sooner than you expect.
    No worries, big guy!

Well, you are living in Liberal Lalaland there so get Soros to pay you to protest. You can wear a spiffy mask, stay in the back of the group and quietly Dumpster a few here and there-cull the herd a bit each time. Paid to have fun-my kinda work.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Prayers going out for you Dennis.
    Jack
    Always Remember

Adding my prayers!

Thatís pretty funny. You must not know what software developers make (heh). Letís just say thatís a tad on the low side...

That's right my son is making $105,000 in Philly and he is software engineer. He just got his Masters and wants 160,000. That is what they make folks

Dennis get yourself in touch with a Recruiter. Let them deal with what you want in salary. Yep you may have to move but so be it.

Works every time for my son. He throws out a high number, they negotiate and he gets what he wants. He is 34 so I told him to save because once you get older they seem to ease you out.

By the way in this industry businesses are bringing IT people from India because they take lower wages. And then once they get into management they bring their people over from India.

Happen to a family member working in California for Intel he could not take it any more and went on his own. He has many contacts with Apple and other IT companies but he had enough at age 59.
    Storm

Yep, that is the only way to go.. You multiple Recruiters not just one. You have lots of value.
    Storm

Dennis talk to these people:

rdx warrendale pa

remote database experts.
    I still work there but not for long retiring end of year: 45 years on mainframe sites is enough.

You can put down I told you/ sent you/ recommended you, whatever.
    I am not looking for a referial fee. Don't need the cash.

When I started there there were only 20 people, now over 300.
    My attitude is half a loaf is better than none.
    You got nothing to lose, fill out an apt, you will be working remote from home.
    Good Luck

bobby.knight nbc (not basketball coach)

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    I could not find a full time job in Texas for three years. I ended up in Indiana.
    Indiana is good for IT. That is why I tried to go that route, but just trying to figure out OOP and other basic programming concepts just was too much. Too tedious for me. That being said, four relatives, three good friends all work in IT here in central Indiana. They all have jobs likely paying $70K/year to $150K/year depending on responsibilities. Even $70K/year as a single person in Indiana can allow one a very nice, comfortable life.

Sending up prayers..

Prayers for a great new job!
    God is pro-life!

RK, your background isn’t software development. Because of that, you have a great deal more to learn than many who’ve spent their lives at it. Also, it takes a certain personality type to do that work. My oldest son tried it, and failed miserably. He just didn’t have the attention to detail that’s required.

Yes you do. Unfortunately that can take a few interviews.