Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Hurricane Hurricane Hector may gain additional strength into the weekend and may pose a threat to at least part of
+ Reply to Thread

Hurricane Hector may gain additional strength into the weekend and may pose a threat to at least part of

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/0...tly-overnight/

Hurricane Hector regains strength as it continues march toward Central Pacific

Star-Advertiser staff August 3, 2018 Updated August 3, 2018 11:20am

With maximum sustained winds of 105 mph, Hector is on track to become a major hurricane Saturday and continue its westward march at that strength for a few days, according to officials at the National Hurricane Center.

Although Hurricane Hector weakened slightly overnight, weather officials still expect the storm to strengthen into a major hurricane this weekend.

Packing maximum sustained winds of 90 mph, Hector was located 1,770 miles east-southeast of Hilo and 1,980 miles east-southeast of Honolulu as of 5 a.m., according to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center. The storm is moving west at 12 mph.

Forecasters expect Hector to start regaining strength tonight. Hurricane-force winds extend outward from Hector’s center up to 15 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-hector-hawaii

Hurricane Hector May Become a Major Hurricane This Weekend; Hawaii Threat Next Week Remains Uncertain

By Jonathan Belles2 hours agoweather.com

Hurricane Hector may gain additional strength into the weekend and may pose a threat to at least part of the Hawaiian Islands later next week.

After rapidly intensifying Wednesday into early Thursday, Hector's small inner core appeared to have been disrupted, but Hector is now restrengthening.

Hector is currently centered around 1,700 miles east-southeast of the Big Island of Hawaii, moving west.

Hector is expected to get pushed westward along the southern periphery of high pressure, gaining strength to become a major hurricane (Category 3 or stronger) this weekend.

Hector is increasingly likely to gain some latitude this weekend, which could bring it close enough to Hawaii for some of its punch to be felt.
    Attached Images

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1KP03P

Hector vs. Kilauea: Hurricane on track to skirt past Hawaii's erupting volcano

Reuters) - Two of Mother Nature’s most potentially devastating forces - a major hurricane and an erupting volcano - appear headed for a close encounter on Hawaii’s Big Island next week, weather forecasters said on Friday.

Hector was on a trajectory that could brush the southern coast of the Big Island late on Wednesday morning, the NHC said.

That would put the storm on a virtual collision course with Kilauea Volcano, situated on the southern portion of the island. The volcano is in the midst of a 3-month-old eruption of lava from vents on its eastern flank while its summit crater continues to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by peacewithin View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1KP03P

Hector vs. Kilauea: Hurricane on track to skirt past Hawaii's erupting volcano

Reuters) - Two of Mother Nature’s most potentially devastating forces - a major hurricane and an erupting volcano - appear headed for a close encounter on Hawaii’s Big Island next week, weather forecasters said on Friday.

Hector was on a trajectory that could brush the southern coast of the Big Island late on Wednesday morning, the NHC said.

That would put the storm on a virtual collision course with Kilauea Volcano, situated on the southern portion of the island. The volcano is in the midst of a 3-month-old eruption of lava from vents on its eastern flank while its summit crater continues to collapse.

what could possibly go wrong?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Upgraded to a Cat 4

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurrica...ay-2018-08-04/

CBS/AP August 4, 2018, 11:54 PM

Hurricane Hector becomes Category 4 storm, heads toward Hawaii

Hurricane Hector strengthened to a Category 4 storm on Saturday as it churned toward the Central Pacific. The National Hurricane Center said the Hawaiian Islands should monitor the storm's progress.

As of 11 p.m. ET Saturday, Hector was located 1,395 miles south of Hilo, Hawaii. It had maximum sustained winds of 130 mph and moving at 12 mph.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 30 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 105 miles, the National Hurricane Center said.

Under the current forecast track, Hector is expected to pass south of the Big Island of Hawaii late Wednesday or Wednesday night. The center of Hector will pass just south of the Big Island by about 150 to 200 miles, close enough to the Big Island to bring enhanced showers and thunderstorms and gusty winds.

Forecasters also said Hector is expected to maintain major hurricane strength for the next two to three days, CBS Honolulu affiliate KGMB reports.

Hector will bring increased surf and a high risk for dangerous rip currents to east- and south-facing beaches of the southernmost islands, especially the Big Island and Maui during next week.

Oddly enough, as of Sunday afternoon the USGS Web site (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/) abruptly quit listing scads of 2.5-or-greater events associated with the Kilauea eruption. Either the USGS simply gave into not cluttering the site with those events (since they were something like 95% of all the events listed and it took some small amount of concentration to find the non-Hawaii events) or the volcano has gone mostly quiet in terms of seismic events. I don't see any reason why lava needs a 2.5-or-greater seismic event to flow, so it could be that the lava is still flowing but the parts where stuff gets tossed hundreds of feet into the air has stopped (for the moment).

For those curious about Hector, it has passed the Hawaiian Islands without initiating a sci-fi disaster movie merger of hurricane and volcano into an epic mega-disaster. But weirdly enough, the USGS is still reporting only a very few 2.5-or-greater events associated with the Kilauea eruption.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Oddly enough, as of Sunday afternoon the USGS Web site (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/) abruptly quit listing scads of 2.5-or-greater events associated with the Kilauea eruption. Either the USGS simply gave into not cluttering the site with those events (since they were something like 95% of all the events listed and it took some small amount of concentration to find the non-Hawaii events) or the volcano has gone mostly quiet in terms of seismic events. I don't see any reason why lava needs a 2.5-or-greater seismic event to flow, so it could be that the lava is still flowing but the parts where stuff gets tossed hundreds of feet into the air has stopped (for the moment).
    How hard is it to color code this? All the Hawaii stuff is in green, the rest of the major stuff is in blue. Give a big legend at top and bottom of screen for all the sheep. I like knowing exactly what Mother Nature is doing, without havng to guess because .gov as parent decides I don't need to see something. /rant off.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker22 View Post
    How hard is it to color code this? All the Hawaii stuff is in green, the rest of the major stuff is in blue. Give a big legend at top and bottom of screen for all the sheep. I like knowing exactly what Mother Nature is doing, without havng to guess because .gov as parent decides I don't need to see something. /rant off.
    While there are a few here and there, I'm still not seeing anything in quantity for Hawaii since last Sunday. I'd be happy just being able to ratchet the bottom magnitude up to at least 4.0 since that would have dropped most of the Hawaii events and also everything I'm not interested in even in my own backyard. My rule in including an earthquake event in my notes is 7.0 or bigger anywhere in the world, 5.0 or bigger for the Northeast, 4.0 or bigger for the PNW (this is of local interest to me) and West (or otherwise very unusual places), or when >1,000 people died.