Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR Iceberg tsunami warning: Greenland fishing village on red alert as locals gripped by fear
+ Reply to Thread

Iceberg tsunami warning: Greenland fishing village on red alert as locals gripped by fear

A massive iceberg bearing down on a tiny coastal village in Greenland has triggered a state of emergency, as locals fear it could cause a tsunami.

The tiny village of Innaarsuit is situated in northwestern Greenland, facing out over the frigid waters of Baffin Bay. The enormous iceberg crept closer to the village for days, before becoming grounded in shallow water on Thursday, according to local media outlet KNR.

The village’s inhabitants have been told to evacuate and make for higher ground, as the iceberg towers over the village’s cliffside houses. “There are 180 inhabitants and we are very concerned and afraid," local politician Karl Petersen told CBC News.

With the iceberg halted, the danger is far from over. Chunks of ice have begun to fall off the iceberg, and if a large chunk splits away and falls – a process called ‘calving’ – it could cause a tsunami. A small piece of the iceberg has already become dislodged.

Heavy rain is forecast in the region over the weekend, which could increase the likelihood of the iceberg calving. Even if a tsunami doesn’t occur, calving could send a surge of water up rivers near the village, causing flooding.

The coastal area in danger is home to several elderly residents, as well as the village’s shop and power plant. Residents are now hoping for the wind to pick up and dislodge the iceberg, letting it float away from their village.

Last June, the village of Nuugaatsiaq, around 100 miles south of Innaarsuit, was hit by flash flooding caused by a landslide. Four people were killed and 11 more injured as houses were washed away into the sea.

As well as causing landslides and tsunamis when they melt, rogue icebergs can float into North Atlantic trade routes, causing havoc for shipping.

https://www.rt.com/news/432956-green...unami-warning/
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Wow. Something else we've never prepped for. An iceburg tsunami.

You can see where a big chunk on the left side is splitting, wow.

Perhaps a disaster of Titanic proportions in the making.
    Possibly a "socially retarded" redneck rebel!

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    As well as causing landslides and tsunamis when they melt
    I refuse to believe that an iceberg can cause a tsunami by melting.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Ice burg "calving"
    When it breaks in Two

It may splash enough to create a riptide

..... So many new words ..... the old ones were clear enough .....

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Watch this, it might make a believer out of you. I've seen small calving from a glacier, but if the one in Greenland goes, it could possibly wipe out that island you see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TSpO1mgnk

4:22 minutes long
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Yeh, I never saw that one coming.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Watch this, it might make a believer out of you. I've seen small calving from a glacier, but if the one in Greenland goes, it could possibly wipe out that island you see.
    Calving is where big or small chunks fall off. Big splash, waves, crowd ooohs and aaaahs. Melting is where a chunk of ice gets smaller and smaller and smaller and eventually isn't there any longer.

Remember "Who wants to be a Millionaire"--calving was the answer to the million dollar question on one episode--an answer that I knew.

Another million dollar question was "What does the Messier list pertain to" and the answer is astronomy. Knew that one too.
    Been reading for years, just now starting to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    I'm not going to worry about it. I live in Ohio.
    If you aren’t making the time to get fit, get to the range and get your head wrapped around taking care of yourself in the future-is-now American Serbia, you are not paying attention. -BB

I don't disagree on the face of it about melting alone causing a tsunami, but I suggest you read the article again carefully, and this time keep in mind that 90% of an iceberg is below the water level. The article mentioned that the iceberg has "grounded." Now, use your imagination and think about what might happen should there be high seas, strong wind, and enough melting or calving to change the center of balance of that berg. Yes, those people are in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    I don't disagree on the face of it about melting alone causing a tsunami
    Great! And since I was disputing that melting causes tsunamis, I guess we're on the same page.

I suggest you read the article again carefully, and this time keep in mind that 90% of an iceberg is below the water level. The article mentioned that the iceberg has "grounded." Now, use your imagination and think about what might happen should there be high seas, strong wind, and enough melting or calving to change the center of balance of that berg. Yes, those people are in danger.
    Don't need to read it again; got it the first time. Sure they're in danger. Bergs can disintegrate catastrophically. A grounded berg is subject to new pressures that can collapse it at any time. Big berg, small village, tricky situation.

But a melting hunk of ice is approximately as exciting as watching paint dry. This is not complicated.

Would you believe a really big wave?
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    Would you believe a really big wave?
    Next time your glass of iced tea launches a tsunami on your porch table, please let me know. Upload video.

It is kind of funny to hear the radio playing in the background and not understanding what they are saying until the wave head's inland, Then , in English, you hear "Donald Trump" (1:07) ...... Poor guy gets blamed for everything ..lol

It is sunny here in Arizona :)

Fascinating video of the glacier, Bardou......thanks!

Calving is where big or small chunks fall off. Big splash, waves, crowd ooohs and aaaahs. Melting is where a chunk of ice gets smaller and smaller and smaller and eventually isn't there any longer.

"Splittin' hairs" over proper word usage.....MEH

Here, this is classic footage of a tsunami caused by glacial calving......also in Greenland - 58 dead

1:27 length
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7Y313BUBA

Ok it does look big. But what's wrong with getting some big tugs and start pushing that thing out of there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ku Commando View Post
    "Splittin' hairs" over proper word usage.....MEH
    If communication is the point, use commonly understood words in their accepted sense. If you want to obfuscate, pretend that old words have brand-new meanings. When they're talking about calving scrap iron at the mill, I'll be interested in hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    Ok it does look big. But what's wrong with getting some big tugs and start pushing that thing out of there?
    I wold believe trying to tug a fragile calving grounded iceberg would rapidly accelerate the disaster.

But, what do I know, there's no icebergs here in the middle of the pasture.

Welcome to the Year of the Dog. If you are gonna tangle with the big dogs you must be BIG DOG.

Rage, RAGE against the Dying of the Light...
    and the Sound...and the Drums...and The Guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by flying screwdriver View Post
    I wold believe trying to tug a fragile calving grounded iceberg would rapidly accelerate the disaster.

But, what do I know, there's no icebergs here in the middle of the pasture.

Imagine a cowpie the size of a shopping mall.

You are correct, sir: "Gonna use your new tractor on that cowberg?"

(With all due respect to those who own tractors & pastures, of course.)

It is very, very expensive to operate those ocean going tugs.

The village probably doesn't have the money to get one started.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by mudlogger View Post
    Remember "Who wants to be a Millionaire"--calving was the answer to the million dollar question on one episode--an answer that I knew.

Another million dollar question was "What does the Messier list pertain to" and the answer is astronomy. Knew that one too.
    My wife calls me at work, somebody just won a million, maybe the first time. I ask what was the winning question, she says “the distance from the earth to the sun is...” I don’t even wait for the choices, “93 million miles”, just silence for a few seconds, then “HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!?!” It’s just one of those useless facts you don’t want to hear about.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.