Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WTF?!? Woman complaining of 'electric shock' in her legs had tapeworm in spine
+ Reply to Thread

18 Woman complaining of 'electric shock' in her legs had tapeworm in spine

Woman complaining of 'electric shock' in her legs had tapeworm in spine
    6-7 minutes

When the 35-year-old woman arrived at a hospital in France, she told doctors it felt like electric shocks were running down her legs. What's more, she felt weak and had experienced a number of falls recently.

The woman's unusual symptoms turned out to have a surprising cause: Tapeworm larvae lurking in her spine, according to a new report of the case, published July 11 in The New England Journal of Medicine.

The woman lived in France and told doctors that she hadn't been out of the country recently. But she said she did ride horses and have contact with cattle. In addition to her other symptoms, the woman said that over the last three months, she'd had difficulty riding her horse, according to the report, from doctors at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Dijon in France.

An MRI revealed a lesion on her spine, at her ninth thoracic vertebra, which is located in the middle of the back, the report said.

The woman needed surgery to remove the lesion, and tests revealed that it was caused by an infection with Echinococcus granulosus, a small tapeworm that's found in dogs and some farm animals, including sheep, cattle, goats and pigs.

This tapeworm can cause a disease called cystic echinococcosis, also known as hydatidosis, in which the larvae form cysts that grow slowly in a person's body, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

These cysts typically grow in the liver or the lungs, but they can also appear in other parts of the body, including the bones and the central nervous system. However, infections of the bones, including the spinal column, are rare, making up just 0.5 to 4 percent of cases of this disease, according to a 2013 paper on cystic echinococcosis.

The life cycle of Echinococcus granulosus is somewhat complex: The "adult" form of the worm lives in the intestines of dogs and can grow to be 6 millimeters (0.2 inches) long, according to the CDC. Tapeworm eggs are passed in the dogs' stool, and other farm animals become infected when they ingest food or water that's contaminated with the tapeworm eggs. Once ingested by farm animals, the eggs develop into larvae, but they cannot develop into adult worms until they are again ingested by dogs (which can happen if dogs are fed slaughtered livestock, according to the CDC.)

Humans become infected with Echinococcus granulosus when they ingest the tapeworm eggs, which can happen if people consume food or water that's contaminated with stool from infected dogs, according to the CDC. For example, a person might become infected if they consumed plants or berries gathered from fields where infected dogs have been. Humans are considered "accidental" hosts, because they aren't involved in transmitting the disease back to dogs, according to the World Health Organization. (The worms can't grow into adults in humans.)

In addition to surgery, the woman was treated with an anti-parasitic medication. Nine months later, she had no lingering symptoms of her infection or signs that it was coming back, the report said.

Original article on Live Science.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...-in-spine.html

EEEeeeeeuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Paging Dr. House.

Show this article to as many Snowflakes as you can. Make sure you tell them there are no safe spaces out in flyover country. The worms are coming...for you! And it's gonna hurt. Bwwwwaaaaa!!
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Lol! My dd has her cat at the vet this minute and I was talking about worms. How could he have worms? She says. I know she was rolling her eyes. So I was happy when this popped up and I could vindicate myself from eye rolling that I did not see but could hear from miles away. Bawahaha! God is good.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by FireDance View Post
    Lol! My dd has her cat at the vet this minute and I was talking about worms. How could he have worms? She says. I know she was rolling her eyes. So I was happy when this popped up and I could vindicate myself from eye rolling that I did not see but could hear from miles away. Bawahaha! God is good.
    God the Father has your back, Dad. That eye rolling thing has a vibe all of its own, doesn't it?
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Son's cats who were living with us had tapeworm, I was super freaked out until I learned that we would have to eat an infected flea in order to get it. Still totally disgusting. Blech. And soon and his wife didn't seem terribly concerned, well, maybe because they weren't sleeping in your bed, the cats slept with us. Long story, son and family finally moved out. Praise God. But still,yuck.

She's lucky they found it so quickly.. and not years down the line

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced hillbilly View Post
    Son's cats who were living with us had tapeworm, I was super freaked out until I learned that we would have to eat an infected flea in order to get it. Still totally disgusting. Blech. And soon and his wife didn't seem terribly concerned, well, maybe because they weren't sleeping in your bed, the cats slept with us. Long story, son and family finally moved out. Praise God. But still,yuck.
    Pretty much but remember...fleas are small and they can jump really hight. Imagine you're sitting there eating some soup and one of them hitched a ride then SPRINGS into your food.

Oh and it is said a person swallows a numbver of spiders in their lifetme while asleep-imagine how much EASIER it is to catch a few fleas like that.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    Pretty much but remember...fleas are small and they can jump really hight. Imagine you're sitting there eating some soup and one of them hitched a ride then SPRINGS into your food.

Oh and it is said a person swallows a numbver of spiders in their lifetme while asleep-imagine how much EASIER it is to catch a few fleas like that.
    I know an old lady who swallowed a fly.

oh my something else to dread!
    Sapphire

myopically challenged