Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Are Prison Inmates a Bigger Problem Than We Think?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Prison Inmates a Bigger Problem Than We Think?

Not the original title, but the main point. This guy's got a video here detailing how we're all going to be killed by prison inmates in an SHTF situation.

He's got a point, but this sounds like a load of defeatist nonsense from someone who hasn't had the Golden Horde theory properly debunked. See what you think, and check it out.

Video details a situation, post-SHTF, in which prison inmates with their superior fighting skills and complete amorality will utterly overrun most preppers. Video is 10:45 in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqI-eK0FsYA

How do they get out of prison? "Offenders" cannot have cell phones, computers, etc. All doors are electronically controlled by corrections officers in an armored central post, cell doors are also controlled electronically. Guards have no fondness nor regard for inmates, so in a grid down I think the offenders may be at a great disadvantage.
    "Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference." Gladius Republicae!
    "...use gold like it's gunpowder..."

That concept may work for them until they meet up with a tight nit community that is expecting trouble and geared up to fight back and if need be after the first attack go hunt the rest of them down.

I used to tell a great neighbor as he stopped by occasionally on his way to work as a guard at a prison
    : "You need a trunk full of ammo, one day you'll need to turn ALL the lights out as you leave." IIRC that was a line from a fictional book, maybe one Jim Rawles wrote. Neighbor moved on to better pay and working conditions. Surely, our goobmint has contingency plans for a shtf event. If they can't manage this problem Lord help us.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

We were going to clear the pods on the way out. 2400 bodies left for the buzzards.

the vast majority of the prison employees are locals - have not only their own families but also friends & neighbors to consider >>>> these employees know just how vicious, cruel, dangerous and uncivilized these animals are - and most of the employees aren't namby pamby liberal types with a soft heart ....

the prisoners aren't making it out the front door ... period

Last I checked, (former) inmates are just as susceptible to dying from a .308 as anyone else is.
    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
    the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission;
    which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
    -Ayn Rand

There were/used to be, rumors that in a shtf situation, federal inmates would be "taken out" and that fed prisons were designed to do this. Probably via a gas. Don't know how true, but if you are level 4 and above, you do not see the light of day again...
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    the vast majority of the prison employees are locals - have not only their own families but also friends & neighbors to consider >>>> these employees know just how vicious, cruel, dangerous and uncivilized these animals are - and most of the employees aren't namby pamby liberal types with a soft heart ....

I think this^^^ says it all.

If you worked in a zoo would you open the cages of lions, bears, wolves, and tigers if your kids were there?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There were/used to be, rumors that in a shtf situation, federal inmates would be "taken out" and that fed prisons were designed to do this. Probably via a gas. Don't know how true, but if you are level 4 and above, you do not see the light of day again...
    The video says that's "YouTube bulls**t,"actually. The notion of a gas failsafe, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Voortrekker View Post
    How do they get out of prison? "Offenders" cannot have cell phones, computers, etc. All doors are electronically controlled by corrections officers in an armored central post, cell doors are also controlled electronically. Guards have no fondness nor regard for inmates, so in a grid down I think the offenders may be at a great disadvantage.
    The theory was that, in an SHTF situation, the inmates' "loved ones" would go to the prisons themselves and break out the inmates, possibly even by trucks tearing down fences.

The grid goes down long enough they'll escape!
    As long as the mighty stag in the forest is erect and strong, its enemies are held at bay. But at the slightest sign of weakness, the wolves move in for the kill.

Any Guard that walks out at end of shift was allowed to live by the prisoners

A scenario with a COMPLETE breakdown of civil authority is highly unlikely. Even Venezuela still has military and police...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

When they built those Federal Prisons to bring high wage jobs to distressed regions the planners did not factor in the inmate families. Relocating

Many counties have gone belly up bankrupt trying to supply the services (Medicaid housing EBT schools) required for the families who moved to the prison camp towns to be cLose to their baby daddy or father or husband
    Knowing there were no jobs available

And ETA ->
    These same Welfare prison families having never contributed a penny towards theie new address counties revenue
    Last edited by NC Susan; 07-12-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    The grid goes down long enough they'll escape!
    If the grid goes down like that, they won't be ABLE to get out - you gotta have power to open any of the access points.

We have neighbors that work in a prison, and the have mentioned that it takes them 15 or 20 minutes to get to their duty stations when everything is working normally... Nobody is getting out if the grid fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post

I have heard the same. And the police are also locals and well acquainted with who is who and how they tick. They too will be defending their ground.

While criminals are savage and violent- they are also stupid and impulsive. A man defending his family and his own life can certainly be a real force to be reckoned with. Throw in a whole community of men defending themselves when there is no real rule of law......I wouldnt be too pessimistic.
    "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness"

More worrisome is the fact that for every bad guy in jail there are several that have never been caught. Add to that are the countless ones who have never really committed a major crime because they were held in check by the threat of incarceration. In a real SHTF scenario that threat would be gone and those people would let themselves go and do all the things they had been dreaming of for all their lives.
    So worry about the ones on the outside rather than the ones that are behind bars.

I disagree.

Doors and walls and fences are only going to slow an inmate down. While the prison is staffed with people doing rounds you will catch the inmate knocking a hole in their concrete wall, floor, or ceiling. While doors these days are electronic, that does not slow em down. Give me a cattle latch and a padlock, I know it won't roll accidently from a power surge or anything else. I also know that padlock needs broken or picked or the attachment method of putting the cattle latch on the door broken. And yeah, inmates kicking doors over years will bend and eventually break the latch itself or the welds. Now we have electronic locks in the doors, that bolt or whatever you want to call it that rolls out to secure the door gets bent when they kick the doors.

Think of all the gang bangers. Or baby mommas or kids or whatever else. Sure the community might think it is ready, but people might be busy filtering water, cutting wood for heat, tending the garden, or a zillion other things. Communication break down means the community might not realize a dozen or hundred vehicles are coming to break the prison fences and walls down til they are in the community.

Think someone is going to go door to door shooting inmates, I guess there are some individuals who might say they will be I have seen people have trouble shooting bambi. A human is a tad bit different.

There are all sorts of security levels as well. One inmate in a max cell, sure when he is acting up you can usually get a tazer aimed and shoot him. Lower levels of inmates often cell together and this is not as easy as some folks may think it would be. Heck, go low enough and there might be a building where you physically can not lock an inmate in his cell, they have free egress to go to the bathroom for that walk. This is where the inmates you usually see out working are housed. Just a chain link fence with some razor wire keeping em in that area if you remove the officers and armed mobile patrols.

I did not watch the video. I honestly don't think people have a clue as to what could happen. Prisons are like a small town in many respects, look up the population for some near you if you know of any.

I will pick 2200 inmates for this example. If the grid fails, got some awesome monster generators but only enough fuel for a couple days maybe. Gonna chew up a ton of fuel if any more is brought in. Food, got enough for a couple days maybe. Water and electricity come from the community systems that got beefed up when the prison was built and the anticipated load was considered.

Some of the doors officers go through are "traps" where electronically you open one and then close that one. Then open another one. Often these doors have large plexiglass windows. Bust that out and inmates go through window opening.

You can play on youtube or whatever and search out riots and stuff. Often the little "riot" takes over an area. Perimeter of that area is secured cause it takes time to get through the layers of security built into the system. If no one is there, they just keep going through walls.

For those who say they don't have a sledge hammer or something to go through concrete, a lot of the furniture is metal and they can use dental floss and toothpaste to work on cutting it up. It breaks off the walls as well.

A prison is not going to remain secure if it is not staffed. Going in or coming out, those fences and doors and walls are only there to slow people down so someone can respond to the noise, sensor, or what they see happening.
    working on unplugging.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    More worrisome is the fact that for every bad guy in jail there are several that have never been caught. Add to that are the countless ones who have never really committed a major crime because they were held in check by the threat of incarceration. In a real SHTF scenario that threat would be gone and those people would let themselves go and do all the things they had been dreaming of for all their lives.
    So worry about the ones on the outside rather than the ones that are behind bars.
    The locals & the police already know who the local " uncaught " criminals are, where they live etc. I suspect if TSHTF, they will be dealt with " preemptively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    If the grid goes down like that, they won't be ABLE to get out - you gotta have power to open any of the access points.

We have neighbors that work in a prison, and the have mentioned that it takes them 15 or 20 minutes to get to their duty stations when everything is working normally... Nobody is getting out if the grid fails.
    Course, if you've already got "loved ones" breaking down gates, how long before one of them brings in a generator, or even hooks up a car battery to the system to provide enough juice for one last open?

Western Rifle Shooters Association
    The post-WW2 world is kaput. You are either part of a gang or part of a gang's menu.
    -- https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I appreciate the video posting, but the speaker is just being a defeatist. As stated above, all you’d need is one corrections officer, cop, etc left when “the end comes” and they’ll end it. I think the Stephen King novel, The Stand, gives a good picture.

In a super max, someone will torch the place, poison the last meal, go cell to cell, etc.

In the local jail, maybe, just maybe, some will get let out, but, tell you what, my neighbor is a corrections officer, I’ll run this scenario by him...he’ll get a good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Course, if you've already got "loved ones" breaking down gates, how long before one of them brings in a generator, or even hooks up a car battery to the system to provide enough juice for one last open?
    A long time.....
    This is a post-collapse scenario. Inmate's families are not preppers, and are not prepping for a prison break.
    The average inmate at the prison 2 towns over has a 7th grade education. Wiring much of anything is beyond them and their loved ones. There is the rare genius, but they'd have to take charge of the other, more volatile prisoners.
    Neither a standard generator, nor a car battery would do anything to power the normal prison grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Voortrekker View Post
    Yes and no.....

If the guards hold them in the cells, then all would be well. They would either get fed or starve, but there would be no problem.

If the guards let them out, then the areas around the prison would have a significant problem. It really would only take 3-4 of the hard core convicts to organize and things would go bad.

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After
    Matherson is forced to lead several battalions of college kids into battle against the cannibalistic Posse. In the process the college’s resource officer is killed and the students’ numbers are reduced to two thirds of what they were before. After the battle the Posse leader is hanged on the interstate and John releases the several remaining Posse members, claiming that they weren’t going to do any more harm.
    Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbin View Post
    "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After

Dobbin
    I would never let them go. Bury them, yes. Let go, no.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    If there ever was a time period of no-rule-of-law then this^^^ would be the Only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    The amount of calories expended or the amount of gas or diesel used would make that ill-advised. Post 5 gave the most realistic answer. Not one to be joked about or enjoyed. Not one to be considered unless as a last resort. Buzzards
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Bottom line, some will get out and will have to be dealt with ruthlessly and without remorse....

True SHTF scenario there would not be enough buzzards to keep a town cleaned up..

If you fix a problem permanently, you never have to deal with it again.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

If things get that bad you have far more to worry about from the people who live near you than you do from a possible an escaped prisoner. In a SHTF situation does it really matter if the person trying to kill you and take your stuff was a prisoner?

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    The amount of calories expended or the amount of gas or diesel used would make that ill-advised. Post 5 gave the most realistic answer. Not one to be joked about or enjoyed. Not one to be considered unless as a last resort. Buzzards
    No one is going to "Bury them" and, if they are in their cages no Buzzards are getting them either. It will all be Bactrial action and it is going to smell very bad for very long.

There are a lot of variables as to whether they get out.

Time TSHTF. If it is 2A.M. few or none of them are getting out-everyone will be locked in their cages.

Daytime, maybe-I did 30 in Florida County. There was only one way to escape if TSHTF and everyone was not locked in and it would be difficult. The "Outdoor Red area was 3 walls of the building with one wall of 18' cement and another 10' of fencing with Concertina.

No excess windows anyone was going to break and crak thru including inside unless you could squeeze thru a 4" slit.

Worked in two stages of Prison construction in Florida-cement plant where we built cages. No one is going to chisel their way out-thecages are composed of steel cable [[1"]] pulled to 22k pounds wrapped in what we called "Slinkies". A spring-looking deal that was pulled along the caBLES THEN TIED TOGETHER WITH STEEL WIRE-THERE MIGHT BE A 4 TO 6" SPACE FOR SOMEONE TO GET THRU BUT THOSE WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THREE FEET OF SOLID CEMENT-THE GOOD STUFF YOU NEED A jACKHAMMER TO BUST UP. bY THE TIME SOMEONE WITH NO FOOD OR WATER MIGHT DIG THRU ALL THAT WITH WHAT IS ON HAND IN THEIR CAGE THEY BE A GHOST.

Stupid capslock.

The prisonI built was Medium security but even there-no major windows, no plexiglass-slits and cameras and 4' thick walls of steel reinforced cement.

Families might try to get in but they'll be carving them out by hand against steel doors. Not likely smart enough to figure it out and not everyone is going to have family or buddies on the outside and sure not going to be lots of them inside trying to free everyone else out of kindness.

Plus with no power there will be almost no light even in the daytime-when I worked in the cells we used flashlights because it was pitch black.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    True SHTF scenario there would not be enough buzzards to keep a town cleaned up..
    coyotes gotta eat too.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

The places that I worked at always had to game and document procedures for various levels of potential disaster where there were long-term breakdowns of personnel, water, heat, electricity and outside resources. We sure didn't advertise some of our worst case "solutions", but TPTB approved them.

I'm guessing prisons are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    The places that I worked at always had to game and document procedures for various levels of potential disaster where there were long-term breakdowns of personnel, water, heat, electricity and outside resources. We sure didn't advertise some of our worst case "solutions", but TPTB approved them.

I'm guessing prisons are no different.
    I have never worked in a prison. But I would seriously believe that they have some contingency plans in place. If not, they would be negligent in their duties, to themselves, the govt they are employed by, and the surrounding community !

Well when shit hits the fan I think prisons and the people in them will be the least of are worries.

Their will be literaly millions of people who will be a problem to us good folks.

All the citys of medium size and up to major ones.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Yep. Anybody who works in a public utility setting, medical facility, educational facility, industry, transportation, public services...just about anyplace you can think of...I guarantee there is a SHTF procedure manual. You may not have been in on the planning, and you my not even know where the "plan" is on what shelf, but there are a good bunch of people working with you that do. Especially after 9-11, this stuff got sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I have heard this as well. It came from someone who would know.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.