Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON Canadians boycott US products, cancel vacations to America
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post
    "CTV is pro-liberal, pro-Trudeau. I am calling this fake news."

gotta agree

cdns don't hate trump

they hate Trudeau

rainbow socks and all
    No doubt about that. He’s a complete embarrassment.

Here, I believe is the original CTV story which created this thread

Angry Canadians are shopping 'Trump free' after attacks on Trudeau

Jeff Lagerquist, CTVNews.ca Writer
    @jefflagerquist
    Published Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:41AM EDT

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau may be taking a “cooler heads” approach to the barrage of insults from U.S. President Donald Trump and his top aides as Canada-U.S. trade tensions thicken, but consumers north of the border are proving less stoic.

Scores of shoppers and travellers are mounting strikes against America’s pocketbook by boycotting U.S. goods and trips to the States. On Twitter, hashtags including #BuyCanadian, #BoycottUSProducts and #BoycottUSA are spreading tips on using purchasing power to defend Canada’s honour.

Trump’s trade rhetoric turned personal after Trudeau’s closing news conference at the G7 summit in Quebec last Saturday. Trudeau said he had pushed back against the Trump administration’s tariffs on steel and aluminum, and insisted Canada would “not be pushed around” on trade.

Those comments prompted a Twitter tirade from Trump in which he referred to Trudeau as “dishonest” and “weak,” and later said Trudeau’s remarks would cost “a lot of money for the people of Canada.” Top Trump aides followed his lead. White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said “there’s a special place in hell” for Trudeau. A remark he later called a “mistake.”

In response, one Ottawa man proudly tweeted a photo of a cart of “Trump free” groceries on Sunday. Others are refusing to buy Kentucky bourbon, California wine and Florida oranges, and ignoring major U.S. brands such as Starbucks, Walmart, and McDonald's.

Trudeau appeared to acknowledge the swell of support at an event for supply-managed farmers near Parliament Hill on Tuesday.

"There's a bit of a patriotic boost going on these past few days," he said to laughs from a table of stakeholders gathered under a tent.

Summer vacations have also been a focal point for patriotic protestors, with numerous commenters bragging about cancelled voyages to the U.S. in favour of keeping travel dollars at home.

“F*** you Trump. We just booked a $3,000 vacation to beautiful British Columbia. Happy anniversary to us. #Canadastrong #BuyCanadian #F***Tariffs,” tweeted one angry user.

The number of same-day and overnight trips to the U.S. by Canadian residents rose 2.7 per cent in 2017 to 42.1 million, according to Statistics Canada. In 2016, Canadian tourists spent US$19.8 billion on visits to the U.S.

“Patriotic Americans should vacation in Canada this summer and step up our purchases of Canadian products and services. #BuyCanadian #AcheterCanadien #VacationCanada #VacancesCanada,” wrote another user.

While Canadians may take pride in putting down their Jim Beam whiskey in favour of J.P. Wiser’s Deluxe rye from Windsor, Ont., a group representing Canadian retailers warns there are limits to such substitutions.

Still, there is little denying Canada’s importance when it comes to U.S. exports. Canada is the most important market for U.S. goods, importing a total of US$98.9 billion in the first four months of 2018, according data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The extent to which Canadians are willing to do without American products has yet to be seen. But if the online fervor for punishing Trump at the checkout line persists, it may serve as a reminder of Canada’s economic heft.

“Fellow Canadians. Now is a good time to #buylocal. Now is a good time to #boycottUSproducts,” wrote Twitter user Mary M on Monday. “It’s time to send a clear message to all the meek republican politicians and Trump voters #BoycottUSA #buyCanadian.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/angr...deau-1.3971632

As I have said "CTV is pro-liberal, pro-Trudeau. I am calling this fake news"

First Where is the scientific data to back up the claim "Angry Canadians are shopping 'Trump free' after attacks on Trudeau" not there

Second Scores of shoppers and travellers are mounting strikes against America’s pocketbook by boycotting U.S. goods and trips to the States

How many people are a score?

From Google

Score is an old word for the number 20. It is used in the famous expression from the "Gettysburg Address": "Four score and seven years ago..." = (4*20+7)years = 87 years. And in the Bible: “three score years and ten” meaning: “seventy years old” (3*20+10) (Psalm 90).

Scores are not thousands or even hundreds

NW

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    I have friends who live in BC and they travel to Palm Springs to play golf 3 months out of the year. No way is he going to give up his golfing trips or their beloved trips to Trader Joes.
    Yeah... I'm guessing there won't be any shortage of Canadian license plates in a small town at the nearest ski slopes (and probably not in Vermont, either) this winter. The summer tourist traffic doesn't seem to be down any, either, although I wasn't looking at license plates when we went through the other day... just trying to not run over the obliviots that are window shopping and crossing the street at the same time!

Summerthyme

Even if some of the Canadians do boycott, it won't last long. Meh, I figure it will stop around November, when the winter hits in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Even if some of the Canadians do boycott, it won't last long. Meh, I figure it will stop around November, when the winter hits in Canada.
    I don’t know about that. .... we Canadians are friendly people until you piss us off, we don’t forget for a long time. I stand corrected on my last post.... Canadians are pissed off!

My Facebook feed is full of anti Trump/American posts. Even from the Trump loving Trudeau bashers. They’re turning on Trump. I’ve gotta say I was a huge Trump fan before this all went down. Before he went on threatening this was going to cost ALL Canadians and treating our PM the way he did...and then in the next breath praising that idiot dictator from North Korea. Mostly because he’s too thin skinned and can’t handle a bit of criticism! That stung. Yeah, most of us think Trudeau is a tool, but after reading all the news rhetoric today, I gotta say, it’s uncool. ( I’m going through chemo, a little behind on my news)

There is a big push started not to buy anything made in the US if at all possible. They’re pretty pissed off at Trumps treatment of Trudeau and the Canadian people as a whole. I don’t see this going away any time soon by the tone of it.

That said.... they know most Americans really don’t give a rats ass about us Canadians. That isn’t helping.

Don't see this happening. Florida will be full of Canadians as usual this winter.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    I don’t know about that. .... we Canadians are friendly people until you piss us off, we don’t forget for a long time. I stand corrected on my last post.... Canadians are pissed off!

My Facebook feed is full of anti Trump/American posts. Even from the Trump loving Trudeau bashers. They’re turning on Trump. I’ve gotta say I was a huge Trump fan before this all went down. Before he went on threatening this was going to cost ALL Canadians and treating our PM the way he did...and then in the next breath praising that idiot dictator from North Korea. Mostly because he’s too thin skinned and can’t handle a bit of criticism! That stung. Yeah, most of us think Trudeau is a tool, but after reading all the news rhetoric today, I gotta say, it’s uncool. ( I’m going through chemo, a little behind on my news)

There is a big push started not to buy anything made in the US if at all possible. They’re pretty pissed off at Trumps treatment of Trudeau and the Canadian people as a whole. I don’t see this going away any time soon by the tone of it.

That said.... they know most Americans really don’t give a rats ass about us Canadians. That isn’t helping.
    I think to make the circle complete, they should also boycott assembling cars destined for America at the GM and Chrysler plants there. Yep, go on strike and stay home. Deprive us of new cars.

That's not always true. If it means smaller crowds at Walt Disney World and other Florida attractions in February and March, then we'd care - a lot. I would love to see the lines shorter at Florida theme parks during the time we visit.

Just ignore all of this and travel anywhere you want. DON'T allow Politicians dictate your life.

LOL... Canadians are pissed at Trump. Oh no! I guess they won't be voting for him or paying US taxes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    I think to make the circle complete, they should also boycott assembling cars destined for America at the GM and Chrysler plants there. Yep, go on strike and stay home. Deprive us of new cars.

That's not always true. If it means smaller crowds at Walt Disney World and other Florida attractions in February and March, then we'd care - a lot. I would love to see the lines shorter at Florida theme parks during the time we visit.
    In addition to the dairy and timber tariff issue, there is the issue of transportation and other subsidies in Canada that do not create a level playing field. Add to that the "pass through" schemes to set up foreign subsidiaries and intermediaries in Canada just to evade tariffs on the true point of origin and you really have a situation where the US is being robbed. Trump apparently offered to bilaterally remove all tariffs and subsidies on all G7 trading partners in exchange for them doing the same and was turned down.

Canadians can't hide behind their false umbrage. They got called on unfair trade practices and are all in a huff when Trump promises tit for tat to level the playing field.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Our Park had 3500 people in it.....40% were Canadian......

And there will be at least 1500 of them back this winter.

Canadians love Americans, at least the ones who spend winters there and appreciate their hospitality and the good shopping. Our dollar conversion isn't so bad now - it was around 44% at one time.

Love the cheap gas too.....ours is pushing $7 gallon Cdn.
    True North Strong and Free

here's a double whammy - currently 23 movies & TV series filming in Toronto/ON >>> another 18 in Vancouver/BC .... shut them all down >>>> a hit on Hollyweird and Canada at the same time .... move everything back south onto US territory and bring the $$$$$ home ....
    Illini Warrior

Americans make movies in Canada because of the lower cost with the dollar exchange.....and the scenery of course......

Want to stop voluntary capitalism?
    True North Strong and Free

Well, the boycott must not have started yet. During a 30 minute trip on the interstate today, I saw more Canadian cars than usual (and a few motor cycles), and they were heading South.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.