Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Are Great Pyrenees talkers/yappy?
+ Reply to Thread

5 Are Great Pyrenees talkers/yappy?

I ask this because Hairy never shuts up. High-pitched yaps, growls and barks constantly emanate from his beak. I was just wondering if any of you GP owners saw that in them when pups. Or adults for that matter.

Mine is Yellow Lab/GP mix. He won’t hesitate to let out a bone chilling bark at the slightest unexpected noise, but he wasn’t yappy as a puppy.
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3408&dateline=1366774  232
    20 rounds of 7.62x39 $16 - 20 rounds of .308 Tactical $31
    The ability to drop dead an attacker with a weapon that can be concealed under your clothes Priceless. FerFAL (modified)

I'm tellin' ya,

There was a husky in the woodpile.

He'll never shut up...

and keep Aja wound up too.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I had one. Quiet inside but always will bark when he went outside as if to tell the world I am watching this place

My understanding is that they bark to announce that they are guarding the property. That is adult pyrs, maybe Hairy is practicing like youngsters do?

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

I have 2 GP's one is fairly quiet till he goes outside where he challenges anything he finds interesting ( people walking, cars, birds, satellites, frogs farting in the next county......) The other one is still a puppy at 17 weeks but she is acutely more verbal. Yaps, growls, barks (big barks for such a young puppy)......until she goes outside then she is quiet, almost passive.

ibetiny, that describes Hairy perfectly.

My great Pyr lab mix and great Pyr austrailian sheppard mic have different sounds. They know a lot of different words.

They know deer when we say we are going out to feed the deer.

They know baby which is the fawn of the deer.

They know squirrel.

They know are you hungry?

They know kitty.

They have separate barks which represent each of those words so I know what they are barking.

The great Pyr are among the most stubborn dogs I have ever encountered.

I have one that is almost impossible to give medicine to, she always knows and avoids it.

They are very sweet and loving, but very stubborn.
    Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
    Has the captain let go of the wheel?
    Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
    I see the road to tomorrow in the haze - Queensryche

dstraito, that was Hermione too. Stubborn, smart, and toward the end knew that I was giving her pills, no matter what I put them in. She’d eat the wrapper and leave the pill. I ended up having to stuff the pills down her gullet.

For our GP/border collie mix we used pill pockets from the Costco pharmacy. He would howl like a blood hound when hubby would leave the house. And yep, he was a talker/Barker. A great bear dog and he learned to stay away from the elk.

The really don't shut up once they learn they can bark. Ours spent hours as a pup barking at his echo. The first time he gave an adult bark he scared himself. They bark to stake territory and alert you to dangers they receive. They love to sing to sirens. The also like it when you talk to them after they have alerted you. It seems to give them a good feeling of job well done. They will respond easily to this praise.

Ours is asleep right now getting ready for the night watch. Tom Cat is about 10 feet away in his the typical watching position while his partner takes a snooze. Tom cat always is nearby when the Pry takes a nap. Never underestimate their senses. The slightest different sound or smell and they will let you know. We have been dealing with Mountain Lions and Bears lately maybe more due to the drought. It is comforting to know someone is taking care of business. You will get use to it in time. They never quit dragging you around. I might add the French used them at various positions around the Castles to warn of invaders.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

The GP we have only barks if someone is within her sight. If it is at night she will bark if she smells, sees or hears something near. They along with anatolians use their bark as an offense against predators.

I have had three Anatolian/ Great Pyr crosses - one almost pure GP, one mostly Anatolian Shepherd one 50/50. All were outside dogs. All barked ALL night long. Great dogs but did not do well with strangers or other dogs.
    "Be Prepared" - Boy Scouts Motto
    "And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus Christ, Mk 13:37
    "Don't worry, be happy" - Bobby Mcferrin
    "Take a chill pill" - Mongo

Yes, they bark. Almost all night long. As someone else posted, their barking warns off would-be predators. I have two, and wouldn't be without them. They keep my dairy herd safe.

Right now the Pry is barking or talking to horse. From what I understand in Pry he is telling him to watch out and he will be on guard for him. Horse takes it in stride and likes his company. I asked him if he was guarding horse and he barked back in a different tone 3 times as if to say "yes I am." I have been to long on this mountain. Maybe I need a vacation to some place quite like Hawaii.

Did I tell you they bark.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Our full blooded GP sleeps like a log all day - unless there's even the slightest hint of thunder or heavy rain, then he's climbing the walls- but as soon as we turn off the lights and go to bed he starts. It's just low wufs in threes: wuf, wuf,wuf. then he listens before the next three.He'll settle down if I assure him that everything's ok and " it's bed time, close your eyes and go to sleep" but we're having bear problems at the moment and some nights he just never lets up! We're all walking around with both eyes in the same hole lately!

i had a girlfriend that had one she could never get her to stop barking .but then again she always yelled at the dog v.when i was around i talked to her and praised her when she barked for the right things .i have always been of the mind that you never tell a dog to shut up if you do not know what they are barking .
    now the other thing that happened was my girlfriends dog became my dog .and she would let me know it was bed time and that meant in the bed room not on the couch .and she would sleep next to the bed near the door .

we've had our GP for, geeze, must be 7 or 8 years now. don't remember her barking a lot as a puppy, but dang sometimes she goes off all night long. outside. under our bedroom window. on and on. fortunately that is rare and i believe armadillo-inspired.

what she does do that pisses me off to no end is dig. dig. dig more and dig. i swear we could bury volkswagon buses out here! not just one bus, lots of buses!
    "The Creator does not deduct from our allotted time the hours spent birding." -Chinese Proverb

"Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws." - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Yes, they talk. And the more you talk to him and teach him things, the more he will talk too. It does depend on the personality though, I have had several that only barked outside to alert, but my Beau Sampson talked about everything.

He also would bite me on the butt almost everyday when he was a pup and I was outside working. I finally realized he was just trying to hold on to me, like a little kid holds their Mom's hand. I wore almost exclusively painters pants a the time and I showed him he could hang onto one of the straps instead of biting me. He would hold onto that strap and off we would go to work on everything around the place. He outgrew it when he was about a year old, maybe a little older. He used to howl when I left for work, but was so very glad to see me every afternoon!

GPs also have WONDERFUL sense of humors too. When Beau and his mother were in the house, they would take my little Lhasa Apso/terrier mix's toys. One would get on one side of her, one on the other, and they would throw them back and forth to each other over her head!! She of course would cry and scream until I made them give them back to her. Then she would take her toys (her "babies) and hide them under the cushions of the couch!! Once, when Growlie, the LA claimed a foam mattress as "her" bed, while we were visiting my parents, Beau's Mom, Bonnie, waited until Growlie left her bed and then tore it all to pieces!! She sat there with a grin on her face when Growlie came back and let out a series of awful cries because Bonnie had torn up her bed!!

I could tell you all kinds of stories about GPs!!
    There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."Theodore Roosevelt-1907.

Hairy loves to dig. I hate digging!

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I'm tellin' ya,

There was a husky in the woodpile.

He'll never shut up...

and keep Aja wound up too.
    That's what I thought, too, when I saw his photos...looks like some husky markings there!

I've never noticed the puppies being talkative, but the only Pyr we ever had in the house was an adult when we got her. The others all lived outdoors since they were working livestock guardian dogs. They did all bark at night to 'mark' their territory. I could have gotten used to it, but it bothered some of the neighbors who didn't realize what kind of dog they were and why they were left outdoors and barking. I wouldn't keep one in an area with close neighbors again (not as a working dog outside, anyway). I like the LGD I have now. Cameo is half Maremma and half Akbash, and she only barks if there's something out there, not just to mark her territory.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45