Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

USA 14 boys, no regrets: Michigan family happy the way they are
+ Reply to Thread

14 boys, no regrets: Michigan family happy the way they are

A Michigan couple has 14 boys and no regrets, regardless of what online opinion-givers have to say about it.

"There are some really mean people in the world. And it doesn't matter," said Jay Schwandt, the father of the boy brood. "We happen to be this great big family with 14 boys that has so much fun every second that we're together. And we still get horrible comments."

Some comments focus on whether Schwandt and his wife, Kateri, 43, are capable of giving each child enough attention, a criticism their fourth son, Brandon, dismisses.

"It's just what we grew up with. I don't know how to explain it. It's just life. It's our life," said Brandon Schwandt, a 19-year-old hockey standout who recently signed to play with a junior team in Florida.

Brandon's mom describes life at home in the Grand Rapids suburb of Rockford as "organized chaos." While his dad, a 44-year-old lawyer and owner of a land surveying business, sees it this way: "Crazy. Chaotic. Noisy. Messy. But, we enjoy it. If we didn't, we wouldn't have continued to have this many children."

High school sweethearts Jay and Kateri Schwandt had three children while they were students at Ferris State University, starting with Tyler, their oldest, who now is 25. The newest Schwandt, Finley Sheboygan, entered the world in April.

The newborn's middle name is inspired by a tale Kateri's dad — himself the father of 14 — tells about an American Indian chief who was the father of many boys. The chief believed his last child would be a girl, but when the baby was a boy, the chief named him Sheboygan. As in "she is a boy again."

"So, we decided to have a little fun with it," Kateri Schwandt said. "He's got a lot of brothers standing behind him, so if anybody wants to make fun of his name, they can try."

Mom, dad, all 14 boys, and several of the older ones' girlfriends recently met up at the family farm in rural Lakeview, where they crowded around the table to enjoy dinner supplied by members of their church before scattering.

Gabe, 11, took off for a spin around the 200-acre property atop a four-wheel ATV. Francisco, 3, lounged on the carpet, watching cartoons on a flat-screen TV. Drew, 21, battled Brandon in a game of 8-ball while 6-year-old Luke looked on. The most popular activity was hugging, kissing, or holding baby Finley, which it seems just about every Schwandt did at one point or another.

"I have said, steadfastly, that we are done having children," Jay Schwandt said. "But I have been reminded that I said the exact same thing after Tucker (who's now 4). And after Francisco. It just feels like we're done."

There may or may not be a 15th child in the Schwandts' future, but a first grandchild is nearly here.

Drew and his girlfriend, Anelene Mellin, are expecting — a girl.

"I'm really excited about it," said Mellin, a student at Central Michigan University. "She'll be extremely loved and probably spoiled."

Her due date is Friday

https://www.yahoo.com/news/14-boys-n...050832669.html
    "Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

As long as they pay their own way.......

Good for them. Sadly, I know far too many "families" who can't seem to handle 1 or 2 kids.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Of course they have no regrets! How could they possibly choose to give a few of them up? My husband and I have half that many kids together, I can’t imagine life without every one of them. And yes, we pay our own way, even when it hurts.

I have one boy, 6, he destroys everything. His mom comes unglued, I just fix what gets broken. Boys break things, boys play rough. I waited too long to start having children, needed to make sure I could provide for them properly. 1,000 a month for private school, I could only afford to pay for two at the same time, so that's all we had. I would have loved to have been able to position my family sooner so we could have popped out another couple. I would have been happy to fix more stuff =)

More power to them but 14? Wow....just wow. Candidates for sainthood if they can manage that brood.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

We had 6 boys before we had the princess -- I would have rather had 6 more boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Altura Ct. View Post

A Michigan couple has 14 boys and no regrets, regardless of what online opinion-givers have to say about it.

"There are some really mean people in the world. And it doesn't matter," said Jay Schwandt, the father of the boy brood. "We happen to be this great big family with 14 boys that has so much fun every second that we're together. And we still get horrible comments."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/14-boys-n...050832669.html
    I don't get their comment, "there are some really mean people in this world." Why did you bring 14 humans into this world just so that people can be mean to them? Why are you even on line looking for comments that you may or may not like? If I had 14 children, I wouldn't find time to sit down at a computer and look for mean comments. But you raised them right, "Drew and his girlfriend, Anelene Mellin, are expecting — a girl." Didn't you teach your children to marry, have jobs, a home and then have a kid? I still think that children born out of wedlock are called bastards. Call me old fashion, but there's still that stigma. Put yourself out there and you will get judged. /just saying
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

You don’t need social media for people to be mean about having a large family, or judging them. My son and his wife are expecting number 6, he’s 30, she’s 29, and you can’t believe the remarks family, total strangers, friends make to them. My kids never instigate remarks, people just seem to offer them freely. And your judging how they raised their 14 boys by one child, who has free will, getting his girlfriend pregnant.

Addressing the “as long as they can take care of them” comment, I have several friends with 10 plus children and they can take care of their children just fine. They conceived these children out of love of God and love for each other. They didn’t go into marriage thinking, oh this one will get me food stamps, this one will get me free medical care. Many of the large families I know moved to rural areas, spending their entire summers canning food, growing their own meat, to feed their families. They’ve taught their children to be self sufficient, to work together. I’ve seen far more benefits of raising well rounded children from large families then I’ve seen with some people raising one or two. There’s a lot of self sacrifice bringing up a large brood.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

=marymonde;6908974. And your judging how they raised their 14 boys by one child, who has free will, getting his girlfriend pregnant.

Addressing the “as long as they can take care of them” comment, I have several friends with 10 plus children and they can take care of their children just fine.
    There's a difference in "free will" and doing the right thing. Anyone can spread their legs and start conceiving and say "I have free will, screw the future."

There's plenty of people around doing just that and the next thing we read is they're in jail for child abuse. Remember this lovely "free will" family?

New charges filed against Perris couple accused of abusing their 13 children

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...223-story.html

I'm still looking for the black woman who "free willed" herself into popping out 18+ children and demanded that we take care of them. IIRC they were living in a hotel room in squalor.

Don't want negative comments about your family, don't put them out there to receive them. /just saying
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by marymonde View Post
    You don’t need social media for people to be mean about having a large family, or judging them. My son and his wife are expecting number 6, he’s 30, she’s 29, and you can’t believe the remarks family, total strangers, friends make to them. My kids never instigate remarks, people just seem to offer them freely. And your judging how they raised their 14 boys by one child, who has free will, getting his girlfriend pregnant.

Addressing the “as long as they can take care of them” comment, I have several friends with 10 plus children and they can take care of their children just fine. They conceived these children out of love of God and love for each other. They didn’t go into marriage thinking, oh this one will get me food stamps, this one will get me free medical care. Many of the large families I know moved to rural areas, spending their entire summers canning food, growing their own meat, to feed their families. They’ve taught their children to be self sufficient, to work together. I’ve seen far more benefits of raising well rounded children from large families then I’ve seen with some people raising one or two. There’s a lot of self sacrifice bringing up a large brood.
    I totally agree!! It seems like many (not all!) people who have only 1 or 2 children raise those kids to be more "spoiled." And in large families, the older kids are expected to help take care of the younger ones. And that's not a bad thing at all! I was the oldest of five kids and we all grew up just fine! I learned at a very young age to do a lot of the house stuff that some of my friends barely learned by the time they were graduating. I consider it a blessing to have grown up in a medium sized household.
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    There's a difference in "free will" and doing the right thing. Anyone can spread their legs and start conceiving and say "I have free will, screw the future."

There's plenty of people around doing just that and the next thing we read is they're in jail for child abuse. Remember this lovely "free will" family?

New charges filed against Perris couple accused of abusing their 13 children

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...223-story.html

I'm still looking for the black woman who "free willed" herself into popping out 18+ children and demanded that we take care of them. IIRC they were living in a hotel room in squalor.

Don't want negative comments about your family, don't put them out there to receive them. /just saying
    Good grief, of course there’s people who have children for the free ride. Who doesn’t know that. And the parents never said they didn’t want or expect the negative comments, only that they get them. They were only stating a fact. I’m sure they are more than well aware if they post a family photo on Facebook that people are going to say exactly what they say to their faces when they’re out in public. So what? You read a lot into this family by one small article.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy55 View Post
    I totally agree!! It seems like many (not all!) people who have only 1 or 2 children raise those kids to be more "spoiled." And in large families, the older kids are expected to help take care of the younger ones. And that's not a bad thing at all! I was the oldest of five kids and we all grew up just fine! I learned at a very young age to do a lot of the house stuff that some of my friends barely learned by the time they were graduating. I consider it a blessing to have grown up in a medium sized household.
    Exactly Sammy. Children receive responsibilities to take care of their other siblings, it makes them more empathetic and caring. I think it’s a beautiful thing.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

So what? You read a lot into this family by one small article.
    That's all we here have to go on is the article. Whining about negative comments from people, and bringing illegitimate children into this nasty world of mean people. I wouldn't say anything to these people other than "better you than me."

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    As long as they pay their own way.......
    My feeling, as well. Otherwise, they need their tubes tied. And, yes, they shouldn't be making noise on social media if they don't have thick skins.

Seems to me they are truly and richly blessed.

NOTE - this from OCT 2015
    ================================

http://www.dioceseofgrandrapids.org/...x#.WyExu_ZFx-E

Save that pew! Jay and Kateri Schwandt bring faith, fun to raising 13 boys
    by JoAnn Fox | Photography by Holly Dolci

The Schwandt family has getting to Sunday Mass down to a science. While dad Jay likes the thought of attending 9 a.m. Mass, he and his wife, Kateri, agree that 11 a.m. is much more practical for their family of 15. Living just a few minutes from Our Lady of Consolation Church in Rockford helps, especially with four teenagers who have an appreciation for sleep. “We have a pretty good routine,” says Jay. "Everybody gets up and I leave with whoever’s ready, usually all the younger ones. I take one of the older boys to help me – and then we’re guaranteed a pew.” “And I bring up the rear,” says Kateri, who’ll arrive a little closer to 11 a.m. with the older boys.

While the idea of getting 13 boys fed, cleaned up, dressed and ready for church may seem daunting, the Schwandts take it in stride. They don’t see themselves as all that different from other Catholic families – they just do things on a larger scale, with a bit more planning and preparation.

Even so, the family made national and local headlines last spring as they awaited the birth of their youngest child after a run of 12 boys, prompting People magazine to ask: “Boy or Girl? Family with 12 Sons Awaits Baby No. 13.” The answer – a boy – arrived on May 13.

After a few weeks in the spotlight, things returned to normal at the Schwandt household, where Jay and Kateri bring a light-hearted, faith-filled approach to marriage and parenting. The expression of their family’s faith, Kateri and Jay say, is intertwined with being together. Each day, opportunities for lessons in love, patience, service and forgiveness present themselves.

“Every single one of those boys is different personality-wise,” says Jay. “The best thing we ever did was when we sent them to Catholic school because they go to church, they start every day with a prayer.”

“Everything they do [at school] is centered on what we instill at home,” Kateri adds.

High school sweethearts
    High-school sweethearts, Kateri and Jay did not plan on a double-digit family when they married in 1993 at age 18. During marriage preparation, they discussed having children. Jay thought three or four kids seemed like a big family; Kateri hoped for five.

During the early years, Jay and Kateri went to college and had little money. “But we didn’t need much to be happy,” recalls Kateri. As their family grew, Kateri went back to school for her master’s in social work and Jay attended law school, while running his own surveying business. “Sometimes we look back and [ask ourselves], ‘how did we do that?’” Jay recalls.

When it came to children, they have placed their trust in God, thoughtfully welcoming new life. Their boys are: Tyler, 23; Zach, 19; Drew, 18; Brandon, 16; Tommy, 14; Vinny, 12; Calvin, 10; Gabe, 8; Wesley, 7; Charlie, 5; Luke, 3; Tucker, 2; and 3-month-old Francisco, born on the feast of Our Lady of Fatima and named for one of three Portuguese children who received the apparition of Our Lady in 1917.
    When their two youngest children arrived, media attention opened up the Schwandts to public comment that included words of support – and some criticism.

Jay distinctly remembers an email from a catechism subscription soon after Tucker’s birth. It asked: “How many children should a Catholic family have?” His answer: “As many as God wants you to have and as many, realistically, as you can handle financially.”

The Schwandts handle day-to-day life – whether grocery shopping, mealtimes, laundry, family camping or attending Mass – with aplomb. Their home, nestled in the woods a few miles outside downtown Rockford, is the perfect stomping ground for the boys, who build forts and can safely ride their bikes. Jay fondly calls it the “Brady Bunch House.”

Plenty of faith, love to go around
    With 13 boys, commotion and chaos occur, and disputes and disagreements arise. Kateri, the second youngest in a family of 14 children, recognizes this as part of the ebb and flow of family life.

“It’s so much fun to have older brothers and sisters in a big family,” says Kateri. “That’s all I’ve ever known. So to raise a big family just seems natural. And to have the chaos and the commotion and the mess.”

“And that’s where I struggle a bit,” Jay says. He grew up with one sister and admits that sometimes he throws his hands up in frustration. “We’ve been married for 22 years and have 13 children, but it still
    baffles me sometimes – the chaos, the mess, the commotion, the going in four different directions.”

“In the midst of all that I think ‘it’s going to settle down’ because it always does,” Kateri laughs. “I’ve always felt God equips us with what we need in the situation that he puts us in.”

Jay refers to Kateri as the “spiritual pillar” of the family. Kateri has been a catechist at the parish for 12 years and she and Jay participate in perpetual adoration.

“I look forward to it because of just life and raising a family and everything that comes with it,” she says. “When I miss [perpetual adoration] I feel like I’m running on low.”

Jay usually schedules an hour of adoration on Monday morning at 2 a.m., a time when he can be fairly assured of few to no interruptions.

Now in their early 40s, the goodhumored couple catch up with each other during what they call “stolen moments” – short walks down the driveway, or 10 minutes together on the back porch while the older boys watch the younger ones.

“Marriage, like anything else, evolves,” says Kateri. “Just like professionals have to do their continuing education, you constantly have to feed your marriage.”

They’re purposeful in making time to connect and try to do it in ways that include their faith. Setting a good example for their children includes participation in Sunday Mass.

“I think that we are very fortunate,” says Jay. “We get people all the time who tell us, ‘Oh my goodness, these boys are so good.’” Though meltdowns inevitably occur, with the older boys to lend a hand and help set an example, the younger children quickly learn that Mass is the focus.

“By the time they’re 4 or 5 years old, when it’s time to stand, they stand; when it’s time to kneel, they kneel,” says Jay. “They’ve learned that’s how you act in church.”
    Their older teenagers, Brandon and Drew, participate in youth group and have gone on mission trips to North Dakota and New Jersey.

Their oldest son Ty’s recent engagement causes Kateri and Jay to think about the cyclical nature of family life and their early days as a couple. They’re often asked what’s so great about having a big family. For them, it’s the together time.

“That’s always been a part of us – the children,” says Jay. “Whether financial or timewise, we manage. And when they’re old enough to make their own decisions, we’ve at least shown them the right path spiritually, faithfully.”

Photo descriptions: (above) Jay and Kateri at home with their family in Rockford; (mid-page) The Schwandt family - Jay, Kateri and their boys: Tyler, 23; Zach, 19; Drew, 18; Brandon, 16; Tommy, 14; Vinny, 12; Calvin, 10; Gabe, 8; Wesley, 7; Charlie, 5; Luke, 3; Tucker, 2; and 3-month-old Francisco.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I wouldn’t BE here, neither would my mother, my sister, her two kids, my three kids, nor my thirteen grandchildren if my Grandmother had not had that SEVENTEENTH kid (my mom) of the EIGHTEEN she had, as a faithful Catholic, trusting and obeying God, believing each child to be a blessing from God! They were legal immigrants from Czechoslovakia, poor, way beyond anything so called “poor” people TODAY even know or taste of real poverty. Yet, they were God fearing, and law abiding (except my grandpa fed practically the whole village with deer meat during the Depression and even the game wardens looked the other way) when the people (coal miners) were near starving, and coal mines shut down, in extreme rural NW Pennsylvania. None of their 18 children were ever arrested or troublemakers. All the boys served in WW2 except Andy, who was diabetic.
    You who SEEK revenge,or JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

I only have one problem with the whole group

Dad is a L A W Y E R. Never trust lawyers

That said, having 14 sons give him a squad +. If his head isn't shoved up in SJW / snowflake stuff, then that is a strong family to survive with.

And every time one of the boys marries if things work out the family gets stronger.

Get off all social media and focus on building your clan stronger and developing the family synergy. Make the family wealthy

Pay your own way.

If they aren't sucking the public tit, then it is only their business. World has to many busybodies.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Containment Area for Relocated Yankees - former Pittsburgher
    One doesn't have to go online to find mean people. When I was carrying my third, someone at the bowling alley asked if I was going to be "fixed" since the baby would be my third. Like I was a damned dog. I was too stunned to even give my usual response to someone like him.

People get into other people's business too much. Unless people are being abused/hurt, mind your own business.
    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Someone reported us for running an illegal daycare to the State - 7 kids.
    I showed DCF birth cert. of the gang of 7. There are other stories also... Having a large family can cause all sorts of issues with gov't.

Too bad people wouldn't get as upset about aborting your baby as they do about having a large family.
    Happy is the Nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalm 33:12

Since the article is rather scant, but indicates they are self-supporting, I'm going to be a real witch and state my first thought: Good! Maybe these people will help put a little slowing on the engineered disappearance of people of pale color.

I saw a very pretty young mom today at a grocery store
    She had 4 really cute and quiet well behaved kids

I thought how lucky she was and hope she knows it
    I Pray Blessings and success on her lovely family

Hear! Hear! Bravo! Well said
    Excuses are the tools of the incompetent. ~ Thirsty Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    I wouldn’t BE here, neither would my mother, my sister, her two kids, my three kids, nor my thirteen grandchildren if my Grandmother had not had that SEVENTEENTH kid (my mom) of the EIGHTEEN she had, as a faithful Catholic, trusting and obeying God, believing each child to be a blessing from God! They were legal immigrants from Czechoslovakia, poor, way beyond anything so called “poor” people TODAY even know or taste of real poverty. Yet, they were God fearing, and law abiding (except my grandpa fed practically the whole village with deer meat during the Depression and even the game wardens looked the other way) when the people (coal miners) were near starving, and coal mines shut down, in extreme rural NW Pennsylvania. None of their 18 children were ever arrested or troublemakers. All the boys served in WW2 except Andy, who was diabetic.
    Celine Dion, the singer was the baby of 14. Her parents thought the twins # 12 & #13 were it, and her mom considered abortion when she became pregnant again. The local priest talked the mom out of it (she was probably in shock, not really planning on abortion), but without baby #14, we'd never have to listen to "MY Heart Will Go On" in elevators. LOL There are lists on the internet of famous or brilliant people who were long down the list of kids. I think Benjamin Franklin was #16? And the mother of John Wesley had quite a few, with a wastrel husband.
    Excuses are the tools of the incompetent. ~ Thirsty Rollins

My g-grandparents has 12. Three sets of twins. Arg. But all were successful and it was a great family. Now we are doing only children bc of the economic status. However there are advantages to that also. We are talking Farm living v. Town. Makes a difference in what you can raise yourself and all that. ‘‘Tis ok though. The onlies get a lot of parental time and attention so perhaps Idiocracy is not in their future. I’d like to see more children but I suppose it is what it is sadly.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

At least they haven't paraded themselves and all the kids before "reality" TV cameras for the past 15 years!

They seem like a normal, large family, just amazingly unique in that they're all boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post

Here ya go...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqjZ0KZCa0