Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Marine snipers are really digging their new Mk13 rifle
+ Reply to Thread

Marine snipers are really digging their new Mk13 rifle

The rifle, round and optics make an excellent package.
    SS

'
    Marine snipers are really digging their new Mk13 rifle (VIDEO)
    5/16/18 | by Chris Eger

Moving away from the classic M40-series, Marine Scout Snipers have a new and improved precision rifle platform that is making it out to the Fleet.

The Mk13 Mod 7 rifle is based on the Accuracy International AICS long action system. Whereas the legacy Remington 700-based M40, used and extensively upgraded since the 1960s by the Marines, is chambered in NATO-standard 7.62x51mm, the new rifle brings .300 Win Mag to the Marines’ lexicon. Army snipers have long since upgraded to chamberings that offered more room to reach out and touch someone.

The .300 Winchester Magnum round will perform better than the current 7.62 NATO ammo in flight, increasing the Marine Sniper’s first-round probability of hit,” said CW3 Tony Palzkill, the Battalion Gunner for the Marine’s Infantry Training Battalion. “This upgrade is an incredible win and will allow snipers to engage targets at greater distances.”

First fielded with the Navy in older Mod 5 models, the Marine Special Operations units and the snipers of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines have been using the weapons for some time, with the feedback and lessons learned contributing to the more widespread adoption of the rifle.

Geissele last year was awarded a bid to provide triggers and engineering services for the rifles, a contract managed by Naval Surface Warfare Center’s Crane Division. Overall, the Marine Corps has budgeted $4.3 million to purchase 356 Mk 13 systems with a unit price of $12,042 a piece. Optics shown in recent imagery released by the Pentagon are by NightForce.

The M40A6, the most advanced version, will continue to be used in training while the semi-auto M110 and M107 platforms “will also remain as additional weapons within the scout sniper equipment set.”

http://www.guns.com/2018/05/16/marin...3-rifle-video/
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Wonder when WalMart will stock it.

Or better yet, Dick's. HA HA HA

Better yet, wonder if I'll ever be able to afford that for a rifle. Probably not, sure is nice to look at though.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Uphold the 2nd
    Molon Labe

They have needed a better cartridge than the 7.62x51 for a long time, but I'm not sure the 300 WM is the best they could do.

The .338 lapua would have been better but since they are the government, I sure they know what is best....

Quote Originally Posted by Bensam View Post
    The .338 lapua would have been better but since they are the government, I sure they know what is best....
    Yes, better ^^^^ or a chey-tac. I imagine a few of both will be utilized in special circumstances. For general issue, I see logic in the 300 W M.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Wow that's pricey.
    vienna 1683.

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his.

300 wm is a good pill .you can pretty much kill just about any thing on that walks the earth .

Nothing wrong with 7.62 x 51 175 grain ammo and 26 inch barrel out to a bit ove 1,000 meters. It is the point where the ammo goes sub sonic that makes it jumpy.

The 300 WM doesn't so much extend the range towards 1400 meters as it assures it stays supersonic out to 1,000.

I would like to see lake city match in .300 WM available for purchase.

I still prefer the older m40's that we had when I was in Marines.

Wonder why they have ll those rails on the barrel guard on that thing. Ya don't bolt anything but a good properlly shimmed up scope to a sniper weapon. If it is for stuff like IR or laser etc, then any weapon can work out to the max range of the sightint / lighting.

I could write more, but I"m happy that they have useful weapons. Still think that a designated marksman m14 is fine out to 600 to 800 meters.

Truth is that there is a finite number of folk capable of hitting stuff at extreme range.

Even less capable of taking a human life at that range.

pretty much if a trained usmc sniper decides you are dead, then you are dead. The prog lefties and others should pray that so far none have decided to take action. These "snipers" that ya read about in the fake stream news aren't.

I have taken more than one fellow interested in shooting at 1,000 meters and with a savage in .308 with a 26 inch barrel and either 175 grain or 169 grain ammo and reloads for the particular weapon taught them to get first round hits.
    A .300 wm with reloads or if they start making good quality match ammo will make it simpler with a bit shorter barrel.

It can be a lot of fun punching targets at that range.

Being able to crawl undetected to within 300 meters of a target and take a shot without being seen by trained observers is the greater art than training to take the shot.

Very few can do that.

When someone asks me about it the first thing I do is go find a skeeter infested mud hole and tell them to go lay in that during a steady rain for 24 hours with just a bit of water and nothing like bug spray that can be smelled.
    Yep, very very few can do that, and most won't even try.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreLibs View Post
    Wonder when WalMart will stock it.

Or better yet, Dick's. HA HA HA

Better yet, wonder if I'll ever be able to afford that for a rifle. Probably not, sure is nice to look at though.
    Buy one from their distributor, Mile High Shooting. A .338 Lapua runs $8,500 and a .308 is $7,500. Than add a couple of grand for optics and you are $2-3,000 cheaper than what the government pays.

The high unit price of government purchased firearms is always explained as being due to logistics, parts inventory and supply chain support. Blah, blah, blah.

A unit price of $12,042 a piece in this case.

Bladderwash IMO.

Amazon, for example, can ship anything almost anywhere in the world in a couple of three days.

In peacetime, just send a broken or worn out rifle back to the manufacturer via freaking UPS. Get a new rifle back in a few days. In wartime, reality and history dictates that you fight with what you have on hand.

No need to for the military to stockpile parts or establish laborious and expensive administrative procedures.

How many of these specialized rifles are fielded at the battalion level? Guessing maybe five or so? Fine, keep one rifle and scope as a spare.

It's time for military procurement to think outside of the box and to take advantage of practices that are common in the private sector.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The handguard rails are to add nightvision in front of the scope. The M40A5 also had forward rails for this reason. For the Army, this change came much earlier.

The last I heard, the typical range for most sniper engagements today are under 600m, engaging multiple targets, with a much larger sniper team (up to 5-6 men, mostly to provide 2 shooters and security). Usually, a 6-man sniper team will have 2xM4 rifles, 2xNM M16A4s, 1xlarge bore bolt gun or Barrett M107, and 2x7.62 rifles (M110 AR10s for Army and M40A5s for Marines).
    In Iraq and Afghanistan we had trouble keeping isolated small units from being surrounded and destroyed, so the size of sniper teams have increased.

Due to the usual envelope for employment, an accurized semi-auto, like the M110, makes much more sense for general issue than a new bolt gun. Having the ability to make faster follow up shots or engage multiple targets is key on today's battlefield. Keeping the Mk.13 in inventory and issuing one to a team makes sense, because there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and having the right hi-low mix is much more important. Additionally, the ability of all military rifles to be suppressed (like all of the current generation sniper rifles) is a worthy goal, one that the USMC is putting through trials currently.

In Iraq, big bore rifles were used much more often to destroy IEDs than to shoot people, substantially cutting our loss of EOD personnel.

Of course, I'm just an armchair commando.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensam View Post
    Economics: .300WM gives you most of what .338LM can do, with less weight and MUCH less per-shot cost.

It's time for military procurement to think outside of the box and to take advantage of practices that are common in the private sector.

Don't hold your breath ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html