Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Ongoing Kilauea Hawaii Volcanic Event
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

RT reporting a 6.9.

That'll jiggle your morning Kona blend.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    HI volcanoes are shield volcanos and very rarely have explosive eruptions. In fact almost never. Mostly just have lava flows, and sometimes fountaining lava, I've seen both. Gas and ash can cause explosive looking stuff but the kind with serious explosions are not what happens in HI. I think (IIRC, someone correct me if I"m wrong), only once that they know of did HI volcanoes have an explosive eruption. The lava flows can be huge and fast of course.
    Well in 1790 this volcano had an eruption that was the size of MT St Helens. BTW - The written records show 400-600 earthquakes in the 6 days leading up to the eruption. The largest earthquake was guessed to be around 7.4

If an eruption happens of that size again it will have a major impact on the island and probably kill a number of people.

Just because it’s been a slow eruption since 1983 doesn’t really mean anything. That is a very short history in geological time.

This volcano does have a history of explosive eruptions. A very long history

Here is a couple of documentaries on Hawaii’s volcanos

Run time 45 minutes- mega disasters

https://youtu.be/RrCnK5ljhb8

Run time about the same - I think this one is National Geographic

https://youtu.be/CDKamMNyW_8

That'll jiggle your morning Kona blend.

There's a lot to be said for geological stability. Living on top of some of the oldest rocks on the planet is OK by me. Y'all can have the young stuff - even if it is paradise otherwise. Four seasons suits me.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

^^^^ yup, I "like" this. ^^^^

If I looked at the data right there have 453 earthquakes on the big Island in the last 7 days

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Dang. Just never thought about preppers maybe digging out gas masks in the event of a volcano. Would a typical mask even protect against that?
    Particulate masks wouldn't do a thing, and that's what most preppers probably have. There's people out there wearing surgical masks, like as not, and those don't even filter particles.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Wisconsin View Post
    Well in 1790 this volcano had an eruption that was the size of MT St Helens. BTW - The written records show 400-600 earthquakes in the 6 days leading up to the eruption. The largest earthquake was guessed to be around 7.4

If an eruption happens of that size again it will have a major impact on the island and probably kill a number of people.

Just because it’s been a slow eruption since 1983 doesn’t really mean anything. That is a very short history in geological time.

This volcano does have a history of explosive eruptions. A very long history
    Is there historical evidence of another besides the 1790 eruption? From living in HI for years and in fact going up to the Kilauea vol park numerous times and reading whatever was around, I thought that 1790 eruption was the only one not a typical shield type eruption; didn't know it was as big as Mt. St. Helens. If I have time I'll look around the HI volcanoes site.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    Is there historical evidence of another besides the 1790 eruption? From living in HI for years and in fact going up to the Kilauea vol park numerous times and reading whatever was around, I thought that 1790 eruption was the only one not a typical shield type eruption; didn't know it was as big as Mt. St. Helens. If I have time I'll look around the HI volcanoes site.
    Shield is a type of Volcano.

Types of eruptions.

https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/HCV/kil-hist.html

There was another eruption of the 1790 type in 1924.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

I looked up on the HI Volcano site and found I was wrong! Seems Kilauea has had alternating types of eruptions. Link to long historical and geological discussion of Kilauea's history for those interested, copying just the first two sections:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...t_summary.html

Kīlauea Volcano Erupts in Explosive and Effusive Cycles

Kīlauea Volcano is a shield volcano located on the eastern slope of Mauna Loa Volcano on the Island of Hawai‘i. The volcano is considered to be in the shield-building stage of Hawaiian volcanism.

There is a lack of old exposed rock at Kīlauea, which makes it difficult for geologists to piece together its complete eruption history. Only about 10 percent of Kīlauea's surface consists of rock older than 1,000 years. The other 90 percent of the volcano's surface is covered by lava flows younger than 1,000 years, and about 20 percent of those flows are less than 200 years old. The Hilina Basalt formation, exposed in Hilina fault scarps on Kīlauea's central south flank, includes the oldest lava flows found above sea level, which erupted around 50,000 to 70,000 years ago.

Older rocks have been recovered from Kīlauea's submarine slopes and drill cores, providing some clues to the volcano's origin. Estimates for the age of Kīlauea's first-erupted lavas continue to evolve as more samples are collected and various dating methods are used. Current research indicates the first alkali-basalt lava flows erupted onto the ocean floor between 210,000 and 280,000 years ago, and the volcano transitioned from its pre-shield to shield-building stage about 155,000 years ago.

Geologic mapping and dating of Kīlauea's surface tells of cyclic eruption styles

Long periods of explosive (tephra-dominated) and effusive (lava-flow-dominated) activity have alternated at Kīlauea for the past 2,500 years. Scientists infer that the eruption style is determined by the amount of magma being supplied to the volcano. When magma supply is high, the summit caldera fills and feeds voluminous lava flows from summit and rift zone vents. When the magma supply drops, the caldera collapses. When the caldera floor is deep enough to be at or near the water table (about 500 m (1640 ft) deeper than present), water can seep into the vent to trigger steam explosions. Eventually magma supply increases, and effusive eruptions dominate as many lava flows fill the caldera and erupt from the rift zones.

Prolonged periods of explosive eruptions at Kīlauea may require the presence of a caldera to sustain them. Scientists estimate that during Kīlauea's past 2,500 years a deep caldera has existed about 60 percent of the time, which included two long periods of sporadic violent explosions. One lasted 1,200 years, ending in about 1000 CE; the other lasted 300 years, between about 1500 and 1800 CE.

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Be Well, what you posted has sent chills up my spine. Lava has vacated the vent just like your picture shows. If it dropped below the water table, look out!

More interesting history and volcano info at the link, I don't have time to copy it all here. If I hear anything from friends on the BI I'll post it. I hope some of the members here on the BI report what they are hearing or reading. Can't find much new news today so far.

Since we're talking about gloom and doom, here's something I read decades ago that should be interesting...

Hilina Slump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slump

The Hilina Slump is a 5,000 cubic mile (20,000 kilometre³) section of the Big Island of Hawaii on the south flank of the Kilauea volcano. Between 1990 and 1993, Global Positioning System measurements showed a southward displacement of the south flank of Kilauea up to approximately 10 centimeters per year. The slump has the potential of breaking away at a faster pace in the form of an underwater landslide. In Hawaii, landslides of this nature are called debris avalanches. If the entire Hilina Slump were to slide into the ocean at once, it could cause an earthquake in excess of a 9 in magnitude, and a megatsunami. Previous megatsunamis in Hawaii 110,000 years ago caused by similar geological phenomena may have created waves 1,600 feet (500 m) tall.

Geology
    The Hilina slump is sliding seaward on top of the southern flank of the Kilauea volcano, at an average speed of 10 cm/year. Kilauea is the southeastern portion, about 13.7%, of the Big Island of Hawaii. Compared to the 25,000 to 35,000 km3 volume of Kilauea, the submarine slide is between 10,000 and 12,000 km3, making up about 10% of the island. Model results based on present day slope and sea level suggest that earthquake accelerations stronger than about 0.4 to 0.6 g are enough to exceed the static friction coefficient resulting in a slip along a failure surface. However, recent undersea measurements show that an undersea "bench" has formed a buttress at the forefront of the Hilina Slump, and "this buttress may tend to reduce the likelihood of future catastrophic detachment."

As the Pacific plate is being pushed to the west/northwest, it is traveling over a hot spot that is erupting silica poor basaltic magma. The Big Island of Hawaii is the youngest of the chain of Hawaiian shield volcanoes that have penetrated and scarred the overriding Pacific plate. Located on the eastern side of the Big Island, Kilauea and Mauna Loa are believed to be the only Hawaiian volcanoes still being fed on a large scale by the magma chambers below. Since the northeastern flank of the Hilina slump is still growing, the sliding southern flank of the slump may be experiencing friction resisting slope failure as the northeastern flank is pushing upwards. Once the northeast flank becomes inactive, and the resisting frictional force decreases, the Hilina slump may be more susceptible to submarine landslides caused by earthquakes.

Earthquakes
    1868 Hawaii earthquake
    April 2, 1868, an earthquake in this area with a magnitude estimated between 7.25 and 7.75 rocked the southeast coast of Hawaii. It triggered a landslide on the slopes of the Mauna Loa volcano, five miles (8 km) north of Pahala, killing 31 people. A tsunami claimed 46 additional lives. The villages of Punaluʻu, Ninole, Kawaa, Honuapo, and Keauhou Landing were severely damaged. According to one account, the tsunami "rolled in over the tops of the coconut trees, probably 60 feet (20 m) high ... inland a distance of a quarter of a mile in some places, taking out to sea when it returned, houses, men, women, and almost everything movable."

1975 Hawaii earthquake
    On November 29, 1975, a 40-mile (60 km) wide section of the Hilina Slump slid 11 feet (3 m) into the ocean, widening the crack by 26 ft (8 m). This movement caused a 7.2 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami that reached a maximum height of 47.0 feet (14.3 m) at Keauhou Landing. Oceanfront properties were washed off their foundations in Punaluʻu. Two deaths were reported at Halape, and 19 other persons were injured. The shoreline at Keauhou Bay was dramatically altered.

Mega Tsunami: Hawaii.mov

This movie shows a physics-based computer simulation of a Kilauea Flank Collapse landslide and Mega Tsunami. Local wave heights exceed 300 meters. Such events happen in Hawaii about every 200,000 years.

RunTime: 4:02

Nuuanu (Hawaii) Mega Tsunami.mov

1.5 Million Years ago, a 5000 cubic km piece of NE Oahu Hawaii fell into the sea. This computer simulation models a similar event on today's topography. A mega tsunami over 500 meters tall is produced. Run ups on North America exceed 100 meters.

RunTime: 5:10

Water rushing into the volcanoes vent is the big problem. It would be similar to what Krakatoa did in 1883. Krakatoa was already a dome volcano when it blew its top and the sea rushed into the caldera. The result was thousands of people dead by the blast and Tsunami that followed and the entire weather pattern for earth was altered for 5 years. I am not saying this event is on the scale of Krakatoa but the results of water rushing into the empty caldera would give out a real blast probably more than several times the nuke dropped on Hiroshima. It would give the Island a Big Earth Quake with resulting Tsunami. It is a lot to deal with and other than leave I can only say stay safe.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

From my cousin:

Yesterday we experienced a 6.9 rocking of the earth. So far we have not found any cracks in our cement, 15K gallon water tank or the main house that is built on a cement foundation... several days ago I felt uneasy and had all the dishes and art taken down and put on the floor. The foundation is cement in the kitchen 4' high so hopefully the lava would not penetrate. Breathing is the main concern. The plumes are 3 miles away effecting the air. Both Jon and I have oxygen concentrates but others have not... friends have evacuated and other friends lost all. I have packed all that is valued... food, the ceramic water filters, guns, tools, camping equipment, battery's, personal papers and...... Life is what happens while your making other plans.... we just built a structure for a work space etc. hope it is still standing to use. This is not an over quick situation... earth quakes will go on for weeks, lava could flow through the tubes anywhere in this area...I am no longer scared, a very strong woman and we will be ok what ever comes... we have one another, friends and family that love us . We have a friend who lives up country on the coast and have been offered a place long as we need. Thank you all for you concern. Will keep you posted. NAMASTE
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Annieosage - is your cousin in Leilani subdivision or someplace else?

She’s in Pahoa which is slightly west of Leilani Estates. Maybe a couple miles?

Quote Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
    She’s in Pahoa which is slightly west of Leilani Estates. Maybe a couple miles?
    So people in Pahoa are evacuating too? Not just in Leilani and the other one mentioned next to it, must be the bad air. I know the least time I was on the Big Island (about a year, in 1999) I could not handle the sulfur smell at the park, my asthma just kicked in big time; whereas years before when I lived there it didn't bother me.

Annieosage, thank you for posting from your cousin. Prayers they will be ok.

Looks like they had eruption 6 this morning and 7 just a bit ago.

Thank you for the info from ItsJustMe. Very good. Scary as heck, but good to know.

Issy

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...where-they-are

There are 8 active lava fissures in Puna. Here's where they are

Friday, May 4th 2018, 8:00 pm PDT
    Saturday, May 5th 2018, 1:45 pm PDT

PUNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -
    Since Saturday morning, eight active lava fissures have opened in Leilani Estates, where lava is covering roads in places and threatening homes.

The fissures are scattered across the large Puna subdivision, home to about 1,700 residents who are now under mandatory evacuation orders.

The extent of the damage is not immediately known, but officials have confirmed that at least two structures have been significant damaged.

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said lava spatter is accumulating "primarily within a few tens of yards of each vent."

No significant flows have yet formed.

The Kilauea crater is on the south side of the Big Island, and the east rift zone sweeps down toward Leilani Estates — about 25 miles away.

The locations of the volcanic vents are:

Makamae Street
    Kaupili Street
    Mohala Streets
    Kahukai Road
    Pohoiki Road

Videos and photo galleries at link.

Anniesage, so glad your cousin is out of harm's way!

"several days ago I felt uneasy and had all the dishes and art taken down and put the floor."

Wow!

Her *internal warning system* was right on target there!

I was on *pins and needles* the whole of April when I was at my place in Kapa'a, Kauai, couldn't wait to get back to the mainland which is not like me, and left my husband's relatives at our home there.

They don't leave til this monday but, I have to wonder if that is what I was picking up?

I wonder how many of your cousin's friends/neighbors *felt* the same thing as she did? V

Here’s a recent update from the @USGSVolcanoes HVO staff presented at a Community Meeting about the current Kilauea crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5-nJ1tpdo&sns=tw

Run time 10:32

Thanks for the link, I watched it and on my third video, lots right there. Much better than the regular news sites so far. ETA: Interesting point made by the police chief Ferrara - that people are making up total crap and posting on FB etc and freaking people out.

It is currently 12:30 pm local time in Hawaii.
    ----------------------
    Eruption Update for Saturday May 5 at 10:00 AM

This is a Civil Defense update for Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms the volcanic eruption continues in Leilani Subdivision in the Puna District. Active volcanic vents are located on Makamae, Kaupili, Mohala, Kahukai Streets and Pohoiki Road. Two new vents have opened near Makamae and Leilani, and on Kahukai Street. There is no activity at Puna Geothermal Venture at this time.

All residents of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision are on evacuation notice. Police, Fire and County agencies along with the National Guard are assisting with evacuation.

Due to the eruption, the following are issued:

◾Department of Water Supply reports an Emergency Water Restriction is now in effect for Leilani Estates, Kapoho Beach Lots, Lanipuna Gardens, Pohoiki Bay Estates, Green Lake Farm Lots, Vacationland and all customers on Pohoiki and Kalapana Kapoho Beach Roads. ALL Water Supply customers must immediately restrict water use to health and safety needs only.

◾Water spigots have been installed near the entrance of Lava Tree State Park and a water tanker has been placed in Vacationland for the public to access.

◾Hawai’i Police Department reports Leilani Estates remains inaccessible to the public. Checkpoints have been set up in the surrounding perimeter at: 130/132, 132/Ka Ulu Laau Rd., 132/137, 137/Pohoiki, 130/Kamaili, 130/12mm, 130/14mm, 132/Pohoiki. Residents should consult with the police officers on duty for road accessibility, as conditions are subject to change.

◾United States Postal Service announced that evacuated residents can pick up their mail at the Pahoa Post Office. In addition, the downtown Hilo Post Office is closed until further notice due to structural damage from yesterday’s earthquake.

Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of Sulfur Dioxide gas in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with compromised respiratory systems are especially vulnerable.

◾The high levels detected are an immediate threat to life for all who become exposed. First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate.

◾The area continues to be unstable with multiple volcanic eruptions happening. No one is allowed into the area. Do not attempt to return to your home at this time.

◾All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been placed on evacuation status. The Pahoa Community Center is available as a pet friendly shelter, and the Kea’au Community Center has been established as an alternative pet friendly evacuation center farther away for those sensitive to vog. Call Civil Defense at 935-0031 for any emergency needs.

◾Residents evacuating should bring an emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.

County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.

This is your Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency.

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Official update

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/hans_...14:11:07-07:00

HAWAIIAN VOLCANO OBSERVATORY DAILY UPDATE
    U.S. Geological Survey
    Saturday, May 5, 2018, 11:54 AM HST (Saturday, May 5, 2018, 21:54 UTC)

KILAUEA VOLCANO (VNUM #332010)
    19°25'16" N 155°17'13" W, Summit Elevation 4091 ft (1247 m)
    Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING
    Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE

Summary: Active eruption of lava and gas continues along Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone within the Leilani Estates subdivision. Additional fissure vents producing spatter and small lava flows developed early this morning, and additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop. There is no active lava in the Puʻu ʻŌʻō area. Aftershocks from yesterday's M6.9 earthquake continue and more should be expected, with larger aftershocks potentially producing rockfalls and associated ash clouds above Puʻu ʻŌʻō and Halemaʻumaʻu Crater.

Photos and maps of activity will be posted to the HVO web site as soon as possible. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...hronology.html

Residents of the Puna District should remain alert, review individual, family, and business emergency plans, and watch for further information about the status of the volcano.

Hawaii County Civil Defense messages regarding conditions, warning, and evacuations may be found at http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts/.

Summit Observations: Deflationary tilt at the summit continues. In concert, the summit lava lake is dropping. Tremor amplitude is fluctuating with lava lake spattering. No large rockfalls or ash plumes related to rockfalls into the lava lake, such as occurred yesterday during the large earthquake sequence, have occurred. Elevated summit sulfur dioxide emission rates persist. Gas emissions remain elevated. Current webcam views are here: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...a_webcams.html

Puʻu ʻŌʻō Observations: Seismicity remains elevated at Puʻu ʻŌʻō but tiltmeters near the cone show no significant deformation overnight. No lava is active in the area and the 61g lava flow is no longer being fed. The summit crater of the cone will likely continue to collapse intermittently producing small plumes of ash. Yesterday, there were several vigorous episodes of ash emission in response to collapse, including immediately after the nearby M6.9 earthquake.

Hazard Analysis: Additional fissure outbreaks producing spatter and lava flows are likely. Locations cannot be forecast with certainty, but new outbreaks thus far have been preceded by ground cracking, then strong steam and volcanic gas release. Areas uprift and downrift of the current fissure zone are the most likely to see further outbreaks.

Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. Currently, lava flows from active fissures are sluggish and not moving very quickly or far. The general area of the Leilani subdivision remains at greatest risk. However, as the eruption progresses, other areas of the lower East Rift Zone may also be at risk.
    High levels of volcanic gas including sulphur dioxide are being emitted from the fissure vents. In addition, smoke from burning houses and burning asphalt is a health concern and should be avoided.

As the lava lake level inside Halemaʻumaʻu drops, rockfalls from the enclosing walls may increase in frequency prompting explosions of spatter from the lake onto the nearby crater rim and lofting plumes of ash. Dustings of ash from these events can occur downwind. Yesterday's strong earthquakes were responsible for some of these plumes and associated ashfall, both from Kīlauea Volcano's summit lava lake and the Puʻu ʻŌʻō vent.

Additional aftershocks from yesterday's M6.9 earthquake are expected and some may be strong. Residents are advised to review earthquake preparedness by consulting available resources such as: https://www.shakeout.org/hawaii/dropcoverholdon/

Not sure when she posted this, but you HAVE TO click on the video. The sound is appalling.

milekalincoln
    Verified

Leilani Estates, Hawaii
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    1,160 likes

milekalincoln#BREAKING #LeilaniEstatesEruption #HAPPENINGNOW • ʻOhana & concerned residents & friends, please excuse my delay in getting something out to you all, I haven’t gotten much rest & was finally catching up on some sleep — but here’s what we know so far... • At least one other eruption and fissure has opened within the #LeilaniEstates evacuation zone and this flow is moving with more intensity and speed than prior breakouts. Access into the subdivision is now blocked off from the Kapono-Pohoiki Rd. & Highway 130 and all other entry points. I’m on my way & will be going LIVE as soon as possible! Please be safe out there!! More details as they develop on @HawaiiNewsNow #HINews #HawaiiNews #HNN #HawaiiNewsNow (Video: Ikaika Marzo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiaID6gg2RW/
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Not sure when she posted this, but you HAVE TO click on the video. The sound is appalling.

milekalincoln
    Verified

Leilani Estates, Hawaii
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    1,160 likes

milekalincoln#BREAKING #LeilaniEstatesEruption #HAPPENINGNOW • ʻOhana & concerned residents & friends, please excuse my delay in getting something out to you all, I haven’t gotten much rest & was finally catching up on some sleep — but here’s what we know so far... • At least one other eruption and fissure has opened within the #LeilaniEstates evacuation zone and this flow is moving with more intensity and speed than prior breakouts. Access into the subdivision is now blocked off from the Kapono-Pohoiki Rd. & Highway 130 and all other entry points. I’m on my way & will be going LIVE as soon as possible! Please be safe out there!! More details as they develop on @HawaiiNewsNow #HINews #HawaiiNews #HNN #HawaiiNewsNow (Video: Ikaika Marzo)

Even if that was shot with a zoom lens, that person was too close to the action.

milekalincoln
    Verified

Leilani Estates, Hawaii
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    1,160 likes

WOW! That's very impressive and there's no moving that lava in the future that's for sure. Anyone who has property there it's a goner.

milekalincoln
    Verified

Leilani Estates, Hawaii
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    1,160 likes

WOW. It was almost like it has a heartbeat.
    Psalm 147:11
    The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by TorahTips View Post
    Even if that was shot with a zoom lens, that person was too close to the action.
    You think he was to close? Check out this guy

#BREAKING This is video just into our newsroom. It was shot 5 acres in on Makamae St. on the Kalapana side. #Kilauea

https://twitter.com/allysonblairtv/s...588539392?s=21

CWWstaff just tweeted

182 magnitude 2.5+ earthquakes today alone in the area of #Kilauea, pressure is getting out, but not nearly enough.

https://twitter.com/usafshortwave/st...494181888?s=21

Hawaii: amounts to 10 thousand evacuated by an earthquake and the eruption of a volcano. OUR SOLIDARITY ... of the #Outlander family. Kilauea, one of the most active in the world, erupted on Thursday and produced a series of tremors. One of them, 6.9 on the Richter scale

Link to tweet
    https://twitter.com/mariajosefinan8/...352372224?s=21

Latest advisory

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...ea/status.html

HAWAIIAN VOLCANO OBSERVATORY DAILY UPDATE
    U.S. Geological Survey
    Saturday, May 5, 2018, 11:54 AM HST (Saturday, May 5, 2018, 21:54 UTC)

KILAUEA VOLCANO (VNUM #332010)
    19°25'16" N 155°17'13" W, Summit Elevation 4091 ft (1247 m)
    Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING
    Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE

Summary: Active eruption of lava and gas continues along Kīlauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone within the Leilani Estates subdivision. Additional fissure vents producing spatter and small lava flows developed early this morning, and additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop. There is no active lava in the Puʻu ʻŌʻō area. Aftershocks from yesterday's M6.9 earthquake continue and more should be expected, with larger aftershocks potentially producing rockfalls and associated ash clouds above Puʻu ʻŌʻō and Halemaʻumaʻu Crater.

Photos and maps of activity will be posted to the HVO web site as soon as possible. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...hronology.html

Residents of the Puna District should remain alert, review individual, family, and business emergency plans, and watch for further information about the status of the volcano.

Hawaii County Civil Defense messages regarding conditions, warning, and evacuations may be found at http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts/.

Summit Observations: Deflationary tilt at the summit continues. In concert, the summit lava lake is dropping. Tremor amplitude is fluctuating with lava lake spattering. No large rockfalls or ash plumes related to rockfalls into the lava lake, such as occurred yesterday during the large earthquake sequence, have occurred. Elevated summit sulfur dioxide emission rates persist. Gas emissions remain elevated. Current webcam views are here: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...a_webcams.html

Puʻu ʻŌʻō Observations: Seismicity remains elevated at Puʻu ʻŌʻō but tiltmeters near the cone show no significant deformation overnight. No lava is active in the area and the 61g lava flow is no longer being fed. The summit crater of the cone will likely continue to collapse intermittently producing small plumes of ash. Yesterday, there were several vigorous episodes of ash emission in response to collapse, including immediately after the nearby M6.9 earthquake.

Hazard Analysis: Additional fissure outbreaks producing spatter and lava flows are likely. Locations cannot be forecast with certainty, but new outbreaks thus far have been preceded by ground cracking, then strong steam and volcanic gas release. Areas uprift and downrift of the current fissure zone are the most likely to see further outbreaks.

Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. Currently, lava flows from active fissures are sluggish and not moving very quickly or far. The general area of the Leilani subdivision remains at greatest risk. However, as the eruption progresses, other areas of the lower East Rift Zone may also be at risk.
    High levels of volcanic gas including sulphur dioxide are being emitted from the fissure vents. In addition, smoke from burning houses and burning asphalt is a health concern and should be avoided.

As the lava lake level inside Halemaʻumaʻu drops, rockfalls from the enclosing walls may increase in frequency prompting explosions of spatter from the lake onto the nearby crater rim and lofting plumes of ash. Dustings of ash from these events can occur downwind. Yesterday's strong earthquakes were responsible for some of these plumes and associated ashfall, both from Kīlauea Volcano's summit lava lake and the Puʻu ʻŌʻō vent.

Additional aftershocks from yesterday's M6.9 earthquake are expected and some may be strong. Residents are advised to review earthquake preparedness by consulting available resources such as: https://www.shakeout.org/hawaii/dropcoverholdon/

Hawaii News Now is reporting

#BREAKING Hawaii Volcanos National Park: The lava lake inside the Halemaumau Crater continues to drop. Officials don't expect any slow down in activity. Residents should also anticipate aftershocks for days to weeks from yesterday's 6.9 quake. #Kilauea

milekalincoln
    Verified

Leilani Estates, Hawaii
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    1,160 likes

One of the earlier rifts / videos of it had the reporter describing the sound as being "like the ocean."

Pretty accurate.

An "ocean" of melted rock.............
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

They have not evacuated yet but are ready to on a moment's notice. She just posted a couple photos about an hour ago but looks like they are from this morning. They live rural and have spotty coverage so have been waiting for another update.

Mileka Lincoln
    ‏Verified account @MilekaLincoln
    26m26 minutes ago

#BREAKING #LeilaniEstatesEruption: Residents inside the #LeilaniEstates evacuation zone are reporting a new eruption has just broke out at Luana Street on the Malama side of Leilani Avenue. More details as soon as they develop on @HawaiiNewsNow at 10 PM #HINews #HawaiiNews
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one big "little bit" now several inches taller than me