Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Ongoing Kilauea Hawaii Volcanic Event
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Live TV reporting 6.9 quake in Hawaii near rift zone.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/198303/livestream
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Intestinal Fortitude View Post
    the mongoose were brought in to go after the RATS
    Which of course was a stupid failure since mongoose are active during the day and rats mostly at night.

What mongoose are good at is going after snakes. Maybe peacocks don't go after mongoose, I have read they go after snakes, even cobras.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Link?
    This is an active list of earthquakes
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    When I lived in Hawaii many years ago I took a geology class at the University of Hawaii. We learned all the Island were still volcanic and connected. Any one of them could become active but it would be a very slim chance. The Big Island was considered the most likely to really blow and create more land. Seems to be what is happening. Other than stay safe what else can be said. I don't know how one would prep for a volcano going off. It is always hard to tell how big a volcano will become and they are usually dormant or at minimal for so long people forget what they are living on.

Yes I was going to University of Hawaii on Oahu while BO's mother was a student on campus. No I did not know her nor would I remember if I meet her.
    She wasn't his mother but anyway...back to regularly scheduled thread!

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Wisconsin View Post
    This is an active list of earthquakes
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
    Try this link, it shows Hawaii. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...1000dyad%22%7D

I see there is a number of new earthquakes after the 6.9. Biggest after the 6.9 is a 5.4
    6.9 would get my attention even here in California. That's one big earthquake. Heard on the radio an interview of a resident who lives near by in a subdivison. He said lava was seeping up in the roadways. He also said he moved to Hawaii from California to escape earthquakes. So, wherever you go there you will be. He also said he had just enough time to grab some clothing and leave. I would not be surprised if the volcano blows what's left of the top off!

HI volcanoes are shield volcanos and very rarely have explosive eruptions. In fact almost never. Mostly just have lava flows, and sometimes fountaining lava, I've seen both. Gas and ash can cause explosive looking stuff but the kind with serious explosions are not what happens in HI. I think (IIRC, someone correct me if I"m wrong), only once that they know of did HI volcanoes have an explosive eruption. The lava flows can be huge and fast of course.

BNS
    ‏ @Breakingservice
    1m1 minute ago

#BREAKING Inspections at Hilo Int. Airport is complete. There is no damage to runways or facilities. Flights are resuming normally
    #Kilauea #earthquake

BNS
    ‏ @Breakingservice
    5m5 minutes ago
    BNS Retweeted Lynn Kawano

#BREAKING Total drain of volcano in #Hawaii not good

Lynn Kawano
    ‏Verified account @LynnKawano
    27m27 minutes ago

Just back from Pu’u O’o vent this made my heart stop... yesterday it was full of lava, today... it’s empty. As our pilot from Paradise Helicopters put it, it went somewhere... 😔

On top:

https://twitter.com/LynnKawano

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    Hawaii needs peacocks! They go after mongoose.

Are you in Puna?
    Just bring in cobras, the mongoose loves to kill cobras. Of course, there's a downside to that solution.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Sounds like a another eruption has started?!? Am I reading this right?

FVXX22 KNES 042246
    VA ADVISORY
    DTG: 20180504/2246Z

VAAC: WASHINGTON

VOLCANO: KILAUEA 332010
    PSN: N1925 W15516

AREA: HAWAIIAN.IS

SUMMIT ELEV: 4009 FT (1222 M)

ADVISORY NR: 2018/004

INFO SOURCE: HVO. HONOLULU WFO. SOCIAL MEDIA

ERUPTION DETAILS: NEW ERUPTION ARND 2133Z.

RMK: WE HAVE RECEIVED INFORMATION SUGGESTING A
    POSSIBLE VA EMISSION. WE WILL GATHER FURTHER
    INFORMATION AND ISSUE A FULL ADVISORY AS SOON AS
    POSSIBLE.

NXT ADVISORY: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH18/...18E042246.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    Just bring in cobras, the mongoose loves to kill cobras. Of course, there's a downside to that solution.
    I'm actually surprised some fool hasn't done that.

ETA: Puu Oo emptying like that is SO FREAKING BAD.

Got an email that my good friends in Leilani evacuated. I

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Dang. Just never thought about preppers maybe digging out gas masks in the event of a volcano. Would a typical mask even protect against that?

I don't like earthquakes, nor fires.
    I think I'd rather be caught in a flood.

Prayers for people's safety.

ETA: That road looks like it just might open up and swallow the next person who drives over it.
    A typical gas mask will afford some protection from hydrogen sulfide, so I think it would help sulfur dioxide also. I'm sure it will depend on the concentration of the gas.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

FVXX22 KNES 042246
    VA ADVISORY

POSSIBLE.

Updated text

FVXX22 KNES 042319
    VA ADVISORY
    DTG: 20180504/2319Z

ADVISORY NR: 2018/005

INFO SOURCE: GOES-WEST. NWP MODELS. HVO. HONOLULU
    WFO. SOCIAL MEDIA. VOLCANO WEB CAM

OBS VA DTG: 04/2300Z

OBS VA CLD: VA NOT IDENTIFIABLE FROM SATELLITE
    DATA WINDS SFC/FL100 090/05KT

FCST VA CLD +6HR: 05/0500Z

FCST VA CLD +12HR: 05/1100Z

FCST VA CLD +18HR: 05/1700Z

RMK: NEW VA EMS SEEN IN WEB CAM BUT NOT SEEN IN STLT
    IMAGERY DUE TO WX CLDS. WINDS ARE LGT AND VAR IN THE
    REGION. NWP MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES A W-WARD
    MOV. RPRTS ARE VA AT LEAST 2000 TO 3000 FEET ABOVE
    SUMMIT. ...KIBLER

NXT ADVISORY: WILL BE ISSUED BY 20180505/0515Z

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/ARCH18/...18E042319.html

FVXX22 KNES 042246
    VA ADVISORY

POSSIBLE.

Could this be what is meant?

Large quake causes explosion at Halema'uma'u Crater

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14...emaumau-crater

45 second phone video at link showing big explosive cloud from Halemaumau, from someone drive up there.

Large quake shakes Big Island, but residents as far away as Oahu felt it

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...s-oahu-felt-it

Friday, May 4th 2018, 3:06 pm PDT
    Friday, May 4th 2018, 3:18 pm PDT
    By HNN Staff

UNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -
    A 5.4-magnitude quake rocked the Big Island on Friday morning as Kilauea eruptions continued, but some areas as far away as Oahu could feel the tremor.

The large quake struck at about 11:30 a.m. near the south flank of Kilauea — about 18 kilometers southwest of Leilani Estates, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake did not generate a tsunami, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

No injuries or damage were immediately reported, but many Hawaii residents reported the shaking. A Moiliili resident even called Hawaii News Now to say that she felt it.

People also took to social media to document their experiences.

“Things fell off our shelves in Hilo,” Merle Gornick posted on Facebook. “My heart is still pounding!”

Axel Kratel also wrote, “Massive Earthquake, we have broken glass in the house, and we are in lower Hamakua, must have been much worse in Puna.”

And on Twitter, Andrew Buttrey said, “Felt some shaking on the other side of the island in Kalaoa also.”

Agent X @Agent__X01
    6m6 minutes ago

Fri 04 May 2018 #Hawaii <#BREAKING💥>: State Of Emergency Just DECLARED- National Guard Deployed [VIDEOS]

Bunch of stuff:

https://rightwingtribune.com/2018/05/04/just-declared/

I suspect with the big 6.9 EQ and many subsequent quakes, that some new lava fissures will develop at the surface.

Possible they may form in new areas not already impacted?
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

6.9-magnitude quake rocks Big Island as eruption continues

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-evacuate-area

Tuesday, May 1st 2018, 2:01 pm PDT
    Friday, May 4th 2018, 4:41 pm PDT

By HNN StaffPUNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Just an hour after a large tremor Friday morning, a 6.9-magnitude earthquake shook the Big Island on Friday afternoon, sending people fleeing from buildings and community centers and increasing concerns about new eruptions in Puna's Leilani Estates.

Bystanders said the latest quake happened about 12:30 p.m., and appeared to last about 15 seconds. It was centered on the south flank of Kilauea, about 16 kilometers southwest of Leilani Estates and at a depth of 5 kilometers, the USGS said.

It came about an hour after a 5.4 magnitude shook the Big Island Friday morning, which was followed by a fifth eruption spewing lava into Leilani Estates.

The temblor at about 11:30 a.m. was also centered near the south flank of Kilauea — about 18 kilometers southwest of Leilani Estates, the USGS reported. The quake did not generate a tsunami, but was felt across the Big Island from Hilo to Kona and as far away as Oahu.

The quake added to an already busy day for the Big Island, which is now grappling with five separate eruptions from two fissures in Leilani Estates.

On Friday morning, authorities said the situation in the Puna subdivision continues to get more dire.

And Hawaii County Civil Defense authorities have issued this ominous warning to households that choose not to heed mandatory orders to leave: "First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate."

The five eruptions, the latest of which started just five minutes after the large quake, are threatening several homes — and authorities have confirmed that at least two homes have sustained significant damage.

Dramatic images from the subdivision show lava bubbling up from the ground and soaring more than 100 feet in the air.

Residents described the sound of the eruptions as haunting — "hissing" and "like a freight train."

Active volcanic vents have been reported on Mohala Street,

About 11 a.m., officials confirmed a fourth breakout on Mohala Street, Kaupili Street, Makamae Street and near Kahukai Street and Leilani Avenue.

Civil Defense said all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivision residents are required to evacuate immediately.

In a news conference, Mayor Harry Kim said though the eruptions are mainly affecting this particular region of Puna, surrounding areas should also be on alert. "In regards to activity of lava itself, yes, we’re gonna monitor it very carefully and be ready to evacuate or identify different areas," Kim said.

In addition to the large quake, the Big Island continues to get rattle by smaller tremors.

Resident Ikaika Marzo said he could feel several quakes shake the area in the early morning hours before the second eruption around 1:30 a.m.

The new eruptions Friday come in the wake of the volcano's first fissure in the community on Thursday afternoon.

HVO said the first eruption that started in late afternoon Thursday ended about 6:30 p.m., after creating a fissure that sent lava soaring as high as 125 feet into the air. About 10:30 p.m., geologists confirmed the fissure (whose length was not immediately clear) was no longer erupting.

They stressed, however, that new lava outbreaks remain a possibility.

"The opening phases of fissure eruptions are dynamic and uncertain. It is not possible at this time to say when and where new vents may occur," the observatory said, in its latest update. "Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. At this time, the general area of the Leilani subdivision appears at greatest risk."

Two emergency shelters have been opened for evacuees — one at Pahoa Community and the Keaau Community centers — and a number of families had hunkered down at the facilities for the night.

Within hours of the eruption Thursday, Gov. David Ige had also activated the Hawaii National Guard and issued an emergency disaster proclamation. FEMA is also mobilizing resources.

In an interview with Hawaii News Now, Ige urged evacuees to "stay calm" and continue to stay tuned to emergency alerts.

Those residents fled their homes Thursday evening with few belongings — just what they could collect in the minutes they had to leave, as officers went door-to-door to ensure everyone got out. One resident said he grabbed his father's ashes as he ran out the door.

"My family is safe, the rest of the stuff can be replaced," another resident said. "When I bought here 14 years, I knew that this day would eventually come. But the reality is sinking in now."

Some residents seemed in disbelief at what they were seeing in their own backyards. In social media posts, they documented lava sputtering up from cracks in the roadway and then angrily boiling up higher and higher.

Marzo said he could see fountains of lava in the community topping 100 feet.

He was among the first people in Leilani Estates to spot the active lava. And as soon as he did, he started notifying anyone he could find.

"When we drove on that road, we heard a noise in the forest and it was like a little thump," he said. "Next thing, like three to five seconds after that, we smelled sulfur. After that, that's when there was tons of sulfur. Then we saw some lava popping out."

The lava outbreak Thursday was first reported about 4:30 p.m., some six hours after a 5.0-magnitude earthquake shook the Big Island Thursday morning. That quake came after hundreds of small tremors rattled the island since last week.

The first signs of trouble in Leilani Estates came about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, when residents reported plumes of smoke spewing from cracks in the road. On Wednesday, cracks were also reported on the road in Leilani Estates, but officials reported they did not pose a lava threat.

Still, the cracks added to residents' anxieties as the quakes didn't let up.

"Last night, we started having them ... about five a minute. It was like that just about all night long," said Chris Burmeister, who lives in Leilani Estates. "It'll rumble for a little bit. Rumble for a little bit. And then every now and then, you'll get just a heavy jolt."

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there were nearly 70 earthquakes of magnitude 2.5 or stronger from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Amid the quakes, scientists installed additional GPS monitoring equipment and deployed crews to put in even more monitoring tools.

Before Thursday's eruption, HVO research geophysicist Jim Kauahikaua said the seismic activity seen in recent days is similar to what happened before an eruption of Kilauea in February 1955. During that eruption, at least 24 separate volcanic vents opened up and lava covered about 3,900 acres.

Kauahikaua said coastal communities from Kalapana to Kapoho were evacuated and "sections of every public road to the coastline were buried by lava" before the eruption abruptly stopped in May 1955.

On Wednesday, amid fears of an eruption, Hawaii County has closed the Kalapana lava viewing area. The area can draw 500 to more than 2,000 visitors, depending on the level of volcanic activity.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has also closed off access to about 15,688 acres, which run from the Puu O'o vent to the ocean. The closure includes access to the gravel emergency access road from the eastern gate near Kalapana to the western gate at the end of Chain of Crater Road.

The Hawaiian Electric Company also confirmed Thursday that the Puna Geothermal plant was shut down, and that there would not be any rolling blackouts or power outages.

The last time lava threatened Puna was in 2014, when a flow closed roads for weeks in Pahoa, forced evacuations and claimed several structures, including one home.

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I suspect with the big 6.9 EQ and many subsequent quakes, that some new lava fissures will develop at the surface.

Possible they may form in new areas not already impacted?
    It could be the opposite too. The tunnel feeding the volcano lava could have collapsed. Only time will tell

Urgent News
    ‏ @UrgentNews911
    49s50 seconds ago

#BREAKING VIDEO: Massive Magnitude 6.9 #EARTHQUAKE #Hawaii (@TuiteroSismico)

Down a couple:

https://twitter.com/UrgentNews911

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    Like, your chickens are all dead, right/

Hawaii DOT

HDOT is surveying Hilo Airport runways following the #Kilauea #earthquake today. Flights are temporarily on hold during the inspection.

I’m guessing it’s fake but I just saw a video that shows the crater empty. Wasn’t the crater overflowing lava a short while ago?

Link to video

https://twitter.com/lynnkawano/statu...900987904?s=21

I’m guessing it’s fake but I just saw a video that shows the crater empty. Wasn’t the crater overflowing lava a short while ago?

Link to video

https://twitter.com/lynnkawano/statu...900987904?s=21
    It was full then it emptied.

ETA. See post 128
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Had to go SOMEWHERE!

Question is, is there a lava tunnel or tube somewhere else on that side of the Island into which the lava could be draining?

OR is there somewhere ELSE it might go?
    "The Spoor of an ELEPHANT
    is only RELEVANT
    to an ANT
    or a SYCOPHANT"

Well there was recently a 4.9 and a 4.6 earthquake

I guess things aren’t calming down

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...t%22%3Anull%7D

Hawaii news now

Hawaii volcano eruption: Over 14,000 people left WITHOUT POWER amid Kilauea evacuations

Dear Lord - what does it mean when all the lava empty's out??
    Maranatha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Sal View Post
    Dear Lord - what does it mean when all the lava empty's out??
    It means bad news somewhere else. What left will come up some where else. I doubt anyone has a clue. It could just dump out a tube into the ocean or begin to make a lagoon or new Island or push out existing flows with a lot more force. That 6.9 changed the flow pattern.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    It means bad news somewhere else. What left will come up some where else. I doubt anyone has a clue. It could just dump out a tube into the ocean or begin to make a lagoon or new Island or push out existing flows with a lot more force. That 6.9 changed the flow pattern.
    Or, could it connect to an older tube somewhere and pop up in Kona? V

3:52 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 (HST)
    Time in Hawaii

What in the hell is this?

Joe Bobosky
    ‏ @FITorion
    2m2 minutes ago

#Hawaii #Kilauea #volcano in #LeilaniEstates at Leilani and Kaupili Streets at 8:07 a.m. HST Photo by U.S. Geological Survey
    Attached Images

OMG, it must be the lava.

-----------------

HawaiiElectricLight
    ‏Verified account @HIElectricLight

Check out this photo of the #lava on Mohala Street in Leiliani Estates that was taken by our crew earlier today. Please be safe everyone!
    http://hwnelec.co/M3mq30jPmOX @NWSHonolulu
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    OMG, it must be the lava.

-----------------

HawaiiElectricLight
    ‏Verified account @HIElectricLight

Check out this photo of the #lava on Mohala Street in Leiliani Estates that was taken by our crew earlier today. Please be safe everyone!
    http://hwnelec.co/M3mq30jPmOX @NWSHonolulu
    When we were in Hawaii, we took a tour of one of the lava flows. The telephone/electric poles had cement barriers about 6 feet high around each pole to protect the poles from the lava flow. The flow almost encased a building and the loading docks. It was on the same island as the black beach. Our tour guide was a lame brain. We were suppose to get lunch on the tour but instead he passed around a bag of cut up pineapple. Then we had a handicapped person with us. Every time he put that wheel chair in the back I almost got hit in the head with it. Then to top it all off, he locked the friggin keys in the van with the van running! That was Bardou's big adventure in Hawaii...never again!

Time in Hawaii

Joe Bobosky
    ‏ @FITorion
    2m2 minutes ago

#Hawaii #Kilauea #volcano in #LeilaniEstates at Leilani and Kaupili Streets at 8:07 a.m. HST Photo by U.S. Geological Survey
    It looks like a tsunami of lava. So scary.

Intel dodge and others keep on tweeting this

Total lava drain, 1000ft loss, just as it did a number of days before the massive 9.1 earthquake in Japan back in 2011, as the pilots says ‘it went somewhere’ this ain’t good #HawaiiVolcano

Can anyone verify that this crater drained right before the Japan earthquake?

Currntly 4:30 pm in Honolulu

Eruption Update for Friday May 4 at 4 PM

This is a Civil Defense update for Friday May 4, 2018 at 4 PM.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms the volcanic eruption continues in Leilani Subdivision in the Puna District.

Active volcanic vents are located on Makamae, Kaupili and Mohala Streets. New vents have opened near Kahukai and Pohoiki Road. There is no activity at Puna Geothermal Venture at this time. PGV is secured.

All residents of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision are on evacuation notice. Police, Fire and County agencies along with the National Guard are assisting with evacuation.

Due to the eruption, the following are issued:

◾Department of Water Supply reports an Emergency Water Restriction is now in effect for Leilani Estates, Nânâwale Estates, Kapoho and Lanipuna Gardens. ALL Water Supply customers must immediately restrict water use to health and safety needs only.

◾A community meeting will be held tonight at Pahoa High School Cafeteria at 5:30 PM. Information will be shared about the status of the volcanic activity in Leilani Estates.

Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of Sulfur Dioxide gas in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with compromised respiratory systems are especially vulnerable.

◾The high levels detected are an immediate threat to life for all who become exposed. First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate.

◾The area continues to be unstable with multiple volcanic eruptions happening. No one is allowed into the area. Do not attempt to return to your home at this time.

◾All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been placed on evacuation status. The Pahoa Community Center is available as a pet friendly shelter, and the Kea’au Community Center has been established as an alternative pet friendly evacuation center farther away for those sensitive to vog.

◾Residents evacuating should bring an emergency evacuation supply kit including medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.

County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.

Thank you for listening. This is your Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency.

For your further information, go to the following helpful links and contact numbers:

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

Time in Hawaii

Joe Bobosky
    ‏ @FITorion
    2m2 minutes ago

Looks like some of the missing Lava. They would be very lucky if that is all it does. Unfortunately I think there has been a major disruption deep inside the volcano tubes with that 6.9 EQ. Anybodies guess what it will do. When the caldera emptied the first thing I thought was major quake coming.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Reporters did a good job of gathering useful information here,

Fair Use Cited
    ----------------
    Officials close Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, evacuations underway in light of earthquakes

By: Web Staff
    Updated: May 04, 2018 04:32 PM HST

PUNA (KHON2) - A massive earthquake was recorded on Hawaii island at approximately 12:32 p.m.

Viewers have called into the station to say tremors could be felt as far away as Oahu and Kauai.

According to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, the earthquake generated small sea-level changes in Hilo (20 cm amplitude), Kapoho (40 cm amplitude), and Honuapo (15 cm amplitude). At all locations the fluctuations have diminished.

The U.S. Geological Survey updated its earthquake report to say a magnitude 6.9 earthquake was centered in the vicinity of the south flank of Kilauea Volcano, 16 kilometers or nearly 10 miles southwest of Leilani Estates.

It was originally recorded at magnitude 6.0.

This is after a magnitude 5.6 earthquake struck the south flank of Kilauea Volcano at 11:33 a.m. Friday. No tsunami was generated from that quake.

As in all earthquakes, be aware of the possibility of aftershocks. If the earthquake was strongly felt in your area, precautionary checks should be made for any damages; especially to utility connections of gas, water, and electricity.

Officials have closed Hawaii Volcanoes National Park until further notice, and evacuations are underway in light of Friday's major earthquakes.

"There have been trees that are dropping on trails. There are collapses along the Kilauea caldera wall where there's been numerous rock falls dropping into the crater," said Jessica Ferracane, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park public affairs specialist.

"Here at Halemaumau, we've had the lava lake also drop suddenly yesterday, and that is causing explosions and rocks to fall into the lava itself, and creating big ash clouds, little explosions here at the summit, so it's not safe to be here right now and we made the decision this afternoon to go ahead and close," she added.

Ferracane noted that the seismic activity has caused cracks to appear on park grounds.

"These cracks are part of the reason why we decided to close. You don't normally see cracks around here near the Jaggar Museum where we are right now. These are a result of that increased seismic activity that you saw today," she said. "As that magma source is moving into the East Rift Zone, that's leaving the southwest part of the crater to settle into that... so these cracks have opened up that you saw earlier. There's no telling if there's lava or magma in them, but they're just a settling reaction to that movement out into the northeast."

Volcanic Activity

An emergency proclamation is now in effect at both the county and state levels as Hawaii County Civil Defense responds to a volcanic eruption in the lower Puna area.

Officials confirm the Leilani Estates Subdivision eruption continues Friday morning with active fountaining occurring.

Active volcanic vents are erupting on Makamae, Kaupili, Mohala, Kahukai, and Leilani Streets. All Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision residents are ordered to evacuate immediately.

Each outbreak has been preceded by ground cracking and strong gas emission. Activity consists primarily of vigorous spattering of lava and development of very short lava flows that have yet to travel more than a few tens of yards from the vent. Earthquake activity in the area remains elevated and ground deformation is continuing. High levels of volcanic gas are reported around the fissure vents.

Additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop.

All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions were required to evacuate. County officials say 1,700 residents live in the area.

Two homes have burned so far by the lava. The county is in the process of notifying the owners. There have been no reported injuries.

The American Red Cross opened shelters for affected residents at Pahoa Community Center, 15-3022 Kauhale Street, and Keaau Community Center, 16-186 Pili Mua Street.

Residents should bring a supply kit that includes medicine, food, and items for comfort if possible.

All residents in the Puna District are asked to remain alert, review individual, family, and business emergency plans, and watch for further information about the status of the volcano.

Community Alerts

Hawaii Electric Light Co. says Friday's earthquakes tripped power lines, initially cutting service to roughly 14,000 customers. Most of the customers were centered in Kaumana, however there were scattered outages throughout the Puna District.

As of 2 p.m., power was restored to about half of those customers, with 6,300 still out.

A spokeswoman says the rest of the island still has sufficient power, and there will be no rolling blackouts.

Due to the eruption, the Hawaii County Civil Defense notes the following for residents:

Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous conditions due to high levels of sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation area. Elderly, young, and people with compromised respiratory systems are especially vulnerable.

The high levels detected are an immediate threat to life for all who become exposed. First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate.

The area continues to be unstable with multiple volcanic eruptions happening. No one is allowed into the area. Do not attempt to return to your home at this time.

All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been ordered to evacuate. The Pahoa Community Center and the Keaau Community Center are open for shelter.

Residents evacuating should bring an emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.

The Hawaii Police Department reminds the public that a temporary flight restriction is in place for most of lower Puna. Drones can be confiscated in the Temporary Flight Restriction Area (TFR).

Pohoiki Road is closed from the intersection at Highway 132 down to Highway 137 to ensure safety away from dangerous gases and other hazards.

There will be a community meeting tonight at 5:30 p.m. at the Pahoa Community Center, 15-3022 Kauhale Street, with various government officials to discuss the events surrounding the eruption.

Hawaii National Guard response

About 70 Soldiers and Airmen of the Hawaii National Guard (HING) are on Hawaii Island assisting in emergency management efforts, after being activated by Governor David Ige to support Hawaii County Civil Defense. HING personnel are assisting Hawaii County with evacuations of residents, security of the neighborhoods and the monitoring of dangerous sulfur dioxide gas.

The Guardsmen will be in full uniform and using military tactical vehicles as they patrol and assist with evacuation and security in Puna. Residents may see also HING checkpoints assisting the Hawaii Police Department or on patrols in specific neighborhoods.

Because there have been reports during previous events of civilians wearing camouflage and impersonating military members to gain access to evacuated homes, the Hawaii National Guard is reminding the public that Soldiers and Airmen will be in military vehicles and carrying their military IDs. If there is a question at any time whether or not a person is with the Hawaii National Guard, look for their vehicle and ask to see their military ID.

The 93rd Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team (WMD CST), a 22-person HING unit that specializes in Chemical, Biological response and detection, will be assisting Hawaii Civil Defense. The 93rd sent six personnel to Hawaii Island in response to the sulfur dioxide near the fissures.

Closures

The earthquake activity has prompted the state Department of Land and Natural Resources Division of State Parks to close its Lava Tree State Monument and Mackenzie State Recreation Area until further notice. Gates to these parks will be locked and closure signs posted.

Kaiser Permanente closed its Hilo clinic. A spokeswoman confirms it has no power, water, or phone service.

Due to volcanic and seismic activity, the University of Hawaii at Hilo closed its Hilo campus facilities to allow students and employees to attend to personal business and priorities.

Individuals should feel safe to remain on campus in buildings, including students living in residence halls. All structures on campus were designed and built to resist seismic ground motion per County code and State requirements.

Campus will reopen Saturday, May 5, and continue with normal operations, including the library and student life center hours, if there is no additional seismic activity.

Hawaii Community College's Manono Campus was also closed. Students who had scheduled exams at the Hale Kea Advancement and Testing Center should contact their instructors.

The Department of Education closed multiple Puna schools Friday including:

Pahoa Elementary & Intermediate
    Pahoa High School
    Keonepoko Elementary
    Kua O Ka La New Century Public Charter School
    Ka Umeke Kaeo
    Hawaii Academy of Arts & Science Public Charter School

U.S. Postal Service Impacted

The Hilo Downtown Post Office, located in the Hilo Federal Building at 154 Waianuenue Avenue, has been temporarily closed. The entire building was shut down due to structural concerns in the wake of the earthquakes that have accompanied the eruption. Beginning Saturday May 5, and until further notice, Hilo Downtown’s PO Box customers are asked to pick up their mail over the counter at the Hilo Main Post Office at 1299 Kekuanaoa Street. A line in the Main Post Office’s lobby will be dedicated to those customers.

Due to the expansion of the eruption, residents of now-inaccessible Pahoa-Kapoho Road, Papaya Farms, Vacationland, Kapoho Beach, Kapoho-Kalapana Road, Seaview, Puna Palisades, Kehena, Kalapana Shores, Uncle Roberts, Kalapana-Pahoa Road, Chain of Craters Road, and Black Sands are now being asked to pick up their mail from the Pahoa Post Office at 15-2859 Pahoa Village Road.

The Postal Service had previously requested that residents of the evacuated areas of Leilani Estates, Lanipuna Gardens and Pohoiki Road pick up their mail from the Pahoa Post Office.

USPS also advises that all residents who have evacuated in response to the eruption, whether from the officially evacuated neighborhoods or other nearby areas, submit Change of Address forms so that their mail can be redirected to them in a timely manner.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news...ano/1155831630