Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Ongoing Kilauea Hawaii Volcanic Event
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Posting bits, more at link.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-hawaii-island

Evacuations, sulfur gas and staying tuned: What you need to know about the Big Island eruption

Wednesday, May 2nd 2018, 5:05 pm PDT
    Friday, May 4th 2018, 1:13 pm PDT

PUNA, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) -
    A dramatic eruption of Kilauea's eat rift zone has triggered evacuations in Leilani Estates and a call for all residents to remain on alert.

New Kilauea eruption triggers house fires as hundreds evacuate area
    Here's a look at what we know so far:

Which communities are under evacuation orders?

All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivisions in the Big Island's Puna region are under mandatory evacuation orders.

Some 1,700 people live in the area, and officials estimate there are approximately 800 structures. There are also a number of vacation homes in Leilani Estates, and Red Cross officials estimate that about 30 percent of the 20 people who stayed overnight at the Keaau emergency shelter are visitors.

So far, no other communities have been told to leave their homes — but officials warn that could change and that residents in communities downrift of Puu O'o crater remain at risk for additional lava outbreaks.

What kind of damage has the lava already left in its wake?
    Big Island Mayor Harry Kim said Friday that lava had damaged at least two homes in Leilani Estates, and that additional homes are under threat.

The lava, spewing more than 100 feet in the air in places, has also covered roads, carved paths through forest land and devoured utility lines.

The eruption is sending sulfur gas into the air. Does that pose a threat to other areas?

Fire officials say noxious sulfur dioxide has been recorded at dangerously high levels in the evacuation area.

"The high levels detected are an immediate threat to life for all who become exposed," Hawaii County Civil Defense said. "First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate."

There hasn't been any indication, however, that sulfur gas levels are dangerously high outside the evacuation area, but officials said residents should remain vigilant and get out of an area where they smell sulfur gas.

Should residents and visitors in other Big Island communities be concerned?

Hawaii County Civil Defense officials say their message is one of vigilance: Stay tuned to get the latest on the lava threat.

As of Friday, only Leilani Estates is under evacuation orders, but first responders warn that could change — and fast.

That said, Big Island communities far outside the danger zone are not at high threat of any issues.

Are earthquakes still rattling the Big Island?

Yes, a series of small earthquakes continue on the Big Island. More than a dozen small earthquakes had rattled the region from midnight to 6 a.m.

There's no way to tell how long earthquakes will continue, or whether the eruption could trigger another larger earthquake — like the 5.0 magnitude that shook Hawaii Island on Thursday morning.

Before the eruption Thursday afternoon,

The tally just keeps growing. Observatory officials say swarms of eight to 10 tremors an hour are being felt in some Puna communities. And in recent days, hundreds have been recorded in the area. The biggest of those quakes was a 5.0-magnitude tremor that happened about 10:30 a.m. Thursday

When is the last time lava inundated a Big Island community?

In 2014, lava threatened Pahoa for weeks, destroying several structures and closing roads.

But Hawaiian Volcano Observatory experts say the seismic activity and eruption being seen from this event is more similar to an eruption of Kilauea more than six decades ago. That eruption started in February 1955. And over a three-month period, 24 volcanic vents opened and lava covered 3,900 acres of land.

The Kilauea Volcano Eruption of 1955 - Volcanic Explosion in Hawaii
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Af1mSGux_Ug
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Um.......... not looking good.

-----------------

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
    ‏Verified account @TulsiPress
    3h3 hours ago
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Retweeted Hawaii News Now

Just landed in Hilo and headed to Civil Defense for update from emergency management leaders. First responders have been working through the night to keep this community safe -TG

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
    ‏Verified account @TulsiPress
    5h5 hours ago

Please stay alert and follow instructions from our civil defense agencies to keep you and your ‘ohana safe. You can sign up for civil defense messages and alerts via text and email here:
    http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

Kīlauea EcoGuides
    ‏ @KilaueaEcoGuide
    3m3 minutes ago

Dangerous Levels of Sulfur Dioxide Gas Reported on the East Rift Zone of #kilauea Volcano

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...-gas-reported/
    Attached Images
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

NICK FRANKEL // LIVE NEWS SCANNER
    ‏ @LiveNewsScanner
    1m1 minute ago

#BREAKING NEWS: A fourth eruption has exploded in the Leilani Estates area of Hawaii

Dang. Just never thought about preppers maybe digging out gas masks in the event of a volcano. Would a typical mask even protect against that?

I don't like earthquakes, nor fires.
    I think I'd rather be caught in a flood.

Prayers for people's safety.

ETA: That road looks like it just might open up and swallow the next person who drives over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Dang. Just never thought about preppers maybe digging out gas masks in the event of a volcano. Would a typical mask even protect against that?

I don't like earthquakes, nor fires.
    I think I'd rather be caught in a flood.

Prayers for people's safety.
    Nah, you don't want that either.

There is no nice way to croak, unless you just drift off in your sleep.....

Al Boe BREAKING NEWS
    ‏ @AlBoeNEWS
    30m30 minutes ago

#BREAKING: 4th volcanic eruption confirmed in Hawaii; residents urged to "leave while they still can"

Two more quakes just happened. Initial report is both were 5.6.
    Shook hell out of my place on the other side of the island.
    Grow fish and you will have vegetables
    hawaiimicroaquaponics.blogspot.com

I think the big Vog warnings this last April that made me so sick may have been a big precursor to this.

Never have I been hit so hard as this last month on Kauai.

My FB friends here can just look at some pics that my husband's cousin Carol posted, to see how haggard I was and how relaxed my husband is in the pics.

The Vog was The Worst! V

Nick Harper
    ‏ @NKDHarper
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING USGS | M 5.3 - 18km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...6411#executive

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...6411#executive

Prayers for the wonderful people of Hawai'i. We have many happy memories of that beautiful island and her people.

Edited to add: I wonder if any of the other volcanoes will also awaken.

The emergency warning system just broke across the tv saying the big Island had a 5.0 earthquake and there will be no tsunami.

Hold on Lei!

Issy

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Two more quakes just happened. Initial report is both were 5.6.
    Shook hell out of my place on the other side of the island.
    Lei, stay safe!!!

Doesn't matter to me that your on the other side of the island, you never know when or where those old lava tubes will get fired up.

I'm most likely wrong about that but I just still worry. V

BNO news

Update: Magnitude of earthquake at the Kīlauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island upgraded to 5.7 - USGS

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Nick Harper
    ‏ @NKDHarper
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING USGS | M 5.3 - 18km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...6411#executive

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...6411#executive
    From the link I posted above:

Could the eruption and seismic activity trigger a localized tsunami?

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is getting a number of calls from residents worried that seismic activity and a growing eruption on Hawaii Island could trigger a localized tsunami.

So, could it?

The answer is a little complicated but put simply — maybe, if the shaking is strong enough. That's why officials are urging residents statewide to stay tuned for updates from monitoring agencies.

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Boy Howdy, first the epic flooding on Kauai this last month and now the lava and earthquakes on the Big island!

All we need now is a plague of locusts and boils! Sheesh! V

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    From the link I posted above:

Could the eruption and seismic activity trigger a localized tsunami?

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is getting a number of calls from residents worried that seismic activity and a growing eruption on Hawaii Island could trigger a localized tsunami.

So, could it?

The answer is a little complicated but put simply — maybe, if the shaking is strong enough. That's why officials are urging residents statewide to stay tuned for updates from monitoring agencies.
    Thank you Be Well. Kinda crazy around here with other stuff. Just had a mongoose attack a hen with her brand new 10 chicks out back. She now has 4 chicks. (feral, but still so sad)

Issy

Issy, are you on the Big island? I can't remember.

If not, are you feeling the earthquakes on your island? V

BAIL BAIL BAIL BAIL BAIL

Hawaii News Now
    ‏Verified account @HawaiiNewsNow
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: 5th eruption reported in Leilani Estates as lava continues to threaten homes:
    https://bit.ly/2FLkeGv #HNN

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-evacuate-area

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    BAIL BAIL BAIL BAIL BAIL

Hawaii News Now
    ‏Verified account @HawaiiNewsNow
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: 5th eruption reported in Leilani Estates as lava continues to threaten homes:
    https://bit.ly/2FLkeGv #HNN

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-evacuate-area
    OMG!

I hope they got Everyone out of there And Their Furkids!!!! V

Quote Originally Posted by Issy View Post
    Thank you Be Well. Kinda crazy around here with other stuff. Just had a mongoose attack a hen with her brand new 10 chicks out back. She now has 4 chicks. (feral, but still so sad)

Issy
    Hawaii needs peacocks! They go after mongoose.

Are you in Puna?

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    Issy, are you on the Big island? I can't remember.

If not, are you feeling the earthquakes on your island? V
    Maui, upcountry outside of Pukalani in the country. We haven't felt any of the quakes. They must be very shallow. I'll be able to see if we have a tsunami. I can see both coasts.

Cousin is in Pahoa...just to the west of Leilani.
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Hawaii needs peacocks! They go after mongoose.

Are you in Puna?
    Be Well, Maui, upcountry. Yes! Peacocks. My husband just sighs, but I feel so bad for those mama hens. This is the first time I have watched the attack. And the poor hens just scream.

Issy

Maui, upcountry outside of Pukalani in the country. We haven't felt any of the quakes. They must be very shallow. I'll be able to see if we have a tsunami. I can see both coasts.
    Pukalani, I love it up there. Used to live in Haiku, many years ago.

OK , another earthquake , bigger than any of the others.

Pukalani, I love it up there. Used to live in Haiku, many years ago.
    Wow, we could have been neighbors. I have friends in Haiku. They have an orchid farm "Exotic Orchids of Maui". Been there many years...sorry thread drift..

Awesome!

So glad your up country!

My sister Shirin is seriously looking to buy in Wailea over in the Wailea Kai neighborhood.

I always prefered up country, I love Kula, nice and cool and the views! V

the mongoose were brought in to go after the RATS
    There are two types of people in this world.
    1) Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Last shake was 6.0 . No tsunami expected.

6.9 just now.

Quote Originally Posted by echo19 View Post
    6.9 just now.
    that's a BIG eq

When I lived in Hawaii many years ago I took a geology class at the University of Hawaii. We learned all the Island were still volcanic and connected. Any one of them could become active but it would be a very slim chance. The Big Island was considered the most likely to really blow and create more land. Seems to be what is happening. Other than stay safe what else can be said. I don't know how one would prep for a volcano going off. It is always hard to tell how big a volcano will become and they are usually dormant or at minimal for so long people forget what they are living on.

Yes I was going to University of Hawaii on Oahu while BO's mother was a student on campus. No I did not know her nor would I remember if I meet her.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

They are rockin', big time, with quakes right now. Wow!

6.9 just now.
    That is getting serious. I don't know what kind of structure are there now but back in the day they were not very well made.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

6.9 just now.
    6.9 earthquake, 16km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii. 2018-05-04 12:32:55 at epicenter (35m ago, depth 5km). j.mp/2wdCkBC

Just wow. That is a big one

Quote Originally Posted by Intestinal Fortitude View Post
    the mongoose were brought in to go after the RATS
    Yup. Turns out the feral cats work best.

I see there is a number of new earthquakes after the 6.9. Biggest after the 6.9 is a 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Wisconsin View Post
    6.9 earthquake, 16km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii. 2018-05-04 12:32:55 at epicenter (35m ago, depth 5km). j.mp/2wdCkBC

Link?
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So crazy............
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Wisconsin View Post

Yes, getting very serious. Ring of Fire? Mt Rainier in WA? OK, getting ahead of myself.