Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Ongoing Kilauea Hawaii Volcanic Event
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ongoing Kilauea Hawaii Volcanic Event

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/02...-possible.html

HONOLULU – Dozens of earthquakes were rattling Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano on Wednesday as underground magma moved into a new area east of the Puu Oo (POO'-oo OH'-oh) vent.

Officials with the U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said the increased activity is associated with the collapse of the crater floor at Puu Oo, which is an open vent below Kilauea's summit crater and lava lake.

There were about 50 small quakes detected in the area on Wednesday morning alone.

Scientists say the activity could trigger a new eruption and people are being told to stay away. USGS is sending two ground crews into the area Wednesday to install new monitoring equipment.

The Hawaii Department of Education said a school near the volcano has been closed due to the ongoing seismic activity.

The Big Island's mayor's office released a statement saying county, state and federal officials are making preparations for a possible eruption. "The preparations include the identification of shelters, mobilization of police and other security personnel to ensure residents' safety, and road crews to ensure access to evacuation routes," the statement said.

"Should an eruption occur, residents along the East Rift Zone may have little warning," said Civil Defense Administrator Talmadge Magno. "Residents in that area should be prepared to evacuate."

The Puu Oo crater floor began to collapse Monday, triggering a series of earthquakes and pushing the lava into new underground chambers.

Lava has moved down the east slope of the volcano and into the Big Island's Puna District. USGS geologist Janet Babb said the magma may have already gone under Highway 130, which leads to a popular volcano access point.

"Overnight it continued to push farther to the east, and so it's still very much an ongoing situation," Babb said. "Highway 130 crosses right over the East Rift Zone, so our best estimate is that it has extended beyond the area of Highway 130."

USGS crews have not seen any changes to the ground or roads in the area where the lava is flowing below the surface. A new crack with some seeping lava was found west of the Puu Oo vent Tuesday, but Babb said the opening did not take much pressure off the situation to the east. "Very, very little lava was issued from that crack."

Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency closed the area to visitors on Tuesday and ordered private tour companies to stop taking people into the region.

"Residents should heed all advice offered by Civil Defense and take the actions recommended by Civil Defense to prepare for a possible eruption," Babb said. "An eruption is possible because magma is clearly moving through the East Rift Zone and it could come to the surface. The possibility is definitely there, I can't give you a probability."

Babb said similar activity has been recorded prior to previous eruptions in the area. In mid-April the observatory issued an alert when scientists noticed Puu Oo was inflating and becoming pressurized.

If the magma breaks through the ground, lava fountains could shoot skyward and spread rock and other volcanic debris around the area. "Typically when an eruption first starts it's pretty vigorous," Babb said.

Most of Kilauea's activity has been nonexplosive, but a 1924 eruption spewed ash and 10-ton (9-metric ton) rocks into the sky, leaving one man dead.

Puu Oo's 1983 eruption resulted in lava fountains soaring over 1,500 feet high. In the decades since, the lava flow has buried dozens of square miles (kilometers) of land and destroyed many homes.

In 2008, after a series of small earthquakes, Kilauea's summit crater opened and gushed lava and rock over 75 acres (30.35 hectares) of the mountain, damaging a nearby visitor overlook.

Last week, the lava lake at the volcano's summit rose and spilled over the crater edge, marking the largest lava inflation since it erupted in 2008. The latest activity at Puu Oo does not appear to have changed the summit lava lake.

In 2016, lava from Puu Oo crept down the east side of the volcano and reached the ocean for the first time in several years. The flow created new land along the shoreline, some of which later collapsed, opening a giant "firehose " lava stream.
    When you care to send the very best, send an Army Ranger!

"The Puu Oo crater floor began to collapse Monday, triggering a series of earthquakes and pushing the lava into new underground chambers."

There have been an amazing amount of quakes on the southeast end of the big island, scattered over a big area. I'd doubt that the crater floor caused the eruptions, more than likely the quakes caused the collapse of the crater floor, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjeep View Post
    "The Puu Oo crater floor began to collapse Monday, triggering a series of earthquakes and pushing the lava into new underground chambers."

There have been an amazing amount of quakes on the southeast end of the big island, scattered over a big area. I'd doubt that the crater floor caused the eruptions, more than likely the quakes caused the collapse of the crater floor, IMO.
    I also read an article that talked about Easter Island and quakes there having something to do with it. But I'll be dipped I can't find the piece now.

KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO
    ‏Verified account @KNX1070
    19m19 minutes ago

#Kilauea #volcano in #Hawaii could erupt after hundreds of small earthquakes

Last Updated May 2, 2018 6:20 PM EDT

PUNA, Hawaii -- Residents of the Puna district on Hawaii's Big Island are being urged to remain alert after hundreds of small earthquakes at the Kilauea volcano's east rift zone, CBS Honolulu affiliate KGMB-TV reports. The quakes, which hit in recent days, indicate an eruption could be imminent.

A volcano watch for Kilauea has been issued, which means the volcano is showing "unrest" with a heightened potential for eruption.

Quakes continued to shake Puna overnight, and seismic activity appears to be moving eastward toward Kapoho, a small town on the Big Island. "Many events were felt by residents and there have been reports of nearly constant ground vibration in some areas," the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said Wednesday morning.

USGS said the region downrift of Puu Oo, a vent on the volcano, is the most likely location for a possible outbreak.

KGMB-TV reports that more than 45 small quakes hit Kilauea from midnight to 10 a.m. Wednesday local time. Most of them were about magnitude 2.0.

In total, over 250 small temblors have been recorded in recent days, including a magnitude 4.0 tremor.

#Kilauea update: #PuuOo erupted red ash when crater collapsed (webcam is coated).
    + 61G flow sluggish, but active.
    + 1km-long #groundcrack uprift of PuuOo
    + Summit unaffected by ERZ activity
    Update: https://t.co/sfajMPjR8Z
    Images: https://t.co/gU4wYZM10M#Hawaii #volcano pic.twitter.com/FyzlrSWb8w
    — USGS Volcanoes🌋 (@USGSVolcanoes) May 2, 2018

Janet Babb, a Hawaiian Volcano Observatory geologist, said residents in the area should remain vigilant, as the seismic activity means "lava could break to the surface, and it could do so fairly quickly."

"It's a situation worth monitoring very closely," she said, KGMB-TV reported.

Lava last threatened Puna in 2014, when a flow shut roads down for weeks, claimed several structures and prompted evacuations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kilauea...l-earthquakes/
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

I was there less than a year ago, there was nothing going on and wasn't much to look at then. The park service is way too protective

If anyone has any local links let me know. I have many friends in Puna.

ETA:

Found just a couple so far, from yesterday.

New Volcano Notice: Earthquakes Increase After Pu’u O’o Collapse
    http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...notice-issued/

The article below has lots of scientific type info and charts and graphs for those interested.
    Volcano Activity Update 7: Shallow Earthquake Activity Increases
    https://bigislandnow.com/2018/05/01/...oor-collapses/

UPDATE 7, May 1, 2018, 4 p.m.

The Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory reports increased shallow earthquake activity for Kilauea Volcano below Pu‘u ‘Ō’ō in Puna District.

This means an outbreak of lava in a new location could occur. While it is not possible to predict where an outbreak could occur, the area east of Pu‘u ‘Ō’ō is a possible location.

Due to the increased seismic activity, the following are issued:

Department of Parks and Recreation has shut down the lava viewing area in Kalapana due to the proximity to the increased hazardous activity.

Lower Puna area residents are advised to stay informed by signing up for civil defense messages and alert via text, email and RSS feed.

Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatories and Hawai‘i County Civil Defense will continuing to monitor the situation throughout the night.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Good to see you posting Maric.

Prayers for the people in harms way.
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

Who is Q?

Wow, was there a few years ago. Hope they throw up some pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by maric View Post
    I also read an article that talked about Easter Island and quakes there having something to do with it. But I'll be dipped I can't find the piece now.
    I didn't know Easter Island was geologically active.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Hmmm....

This may explain all the fainting spells and 'head swirling' several of us experienced last week while in Kapa'a, Kauai.

My husband's cousin Carol and her husband came to stay with us and the next morning after their arrival, she said to me, "I was standing right here in the kitchen this morning and was ready to get some coffee when I completely fainted! I went down and woke up next to the round table here by the sliding glass door! I went out like a light". So that afternoon, I was getting really bad vertigo even while sitting on the couch.

So that late afternoon (last Wednesday) we all went to the Oasis bar (it's at the Waipouli Beach Resort) to hear our friend Aldrine play as he does every wednesday and my husband's 'like a brother' buddy and his new girlfriend sauntered over from their condo and he's got this really nice ripe black eye like Tam gave him a right hook.

Apparently, she said that he'd been drinking vodka, turned the corner from the kitchen and the laundry area on the way to the bedroom and his mind went forward but his body hit the flo'.

She thinks it's the vodka but she doesn't really know him as well as I and I think he fainted just like Carol did.

Carol posted the pics and tagged me on my FB page so my friends here may have seen the pic of the guy with the huge black left eye.

At the time, I had the fleeting thought, "I wonder if we're going to get an earthquake?".

This type of scenario played itself out when the islands were having swarms and my friend's husband fainted while seated at Ono's for breakfast and then her son's very athletic girlfriend fainted and hit the flo' the next day.

The docs wanted to blame it on dehydration but we were hearing others having unexplained fainting spells as well. V

Who really cards about the volcanoes in Hawaii or the fault lines in California????

Let the volcanoes level Hawaii and the quakes send California into the ocean and we would all be better off....

Texican....

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    Who really cards about the volcanoes in Hawaii or the fault lines in California????

Let the volcanoes level Hawaii and the quakes send California into the ocean and we would all be better off....

Texican....
    The people who live there care. And so do family & friends. Just because you live in a 'liberal' area doesn't mean you are one.

Kīlauea is a shield volcano. Rather than blow when they erupt, they tend to flow or ooze.

If your house is in the way of the ooze it could be bad but you'd have time to remove your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    I didn't know Easter Island was geologically active.
    Had to look it up as I was unaware of it myself.

https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=356011

I knew of one volcano, but it apparently has three primary volcanoes, with the last eruption over 2000 years ago.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...dw7i#executive

Yesterday, they had a 6.0 in the area.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Lot Big Island news at this link and many Puu Oo updates, I'll look for the HI National park site as that always has updates, and also email some Big Island friends and report back if anything interesting.

https://bigislandnow.com/category/news/

A couple of updates:

Volcano Overflight: ‘Lava on the Move!’
    https://bigislandnow.com/2018/05/02/...a-on-the-move/

May 2, 2018, 6:12 PM HST (Updated May 3, 2018, 6:44 AM

The complete collapse of the active vent on Kīlauea’s east rift zone on Monday, April 30, 2018, sent an amazing ash plume skyward, and blanketed a three-mile-long swath of the current eruption in red dust, said the Paradise Helicopters crew.

They said: “61g looks like Mars! Yesterday, in very inclement weather, we managed some shots of the ash plume roiling away. Today, under stunningly beautiful skies, we were able to see inside the vent. Hundreds of feet deep, we saw no lava in the vent at all—just cinders and rubble. Additionally, a half-mile-long line of steamy fissures runs west from the vent.

“It is eerily reminiscent of the fissure eruption seven years ago,” said videographer and photographer Mick Kalber. “As nearly everyone on the island knows, earthquakes have been nearly continual from the vent to Kapoho… lava is obviously on the move!”

Will Pele stay underground, or will a surge of lava downrift start a new eruption? Time will tell.

Hawai‘i County Civil Defense and the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory advise residents of the Puna District to remain alert, review individual, family and business emergency plans, and watch for further information about the status of the volcano.

Puna District Road Closes Due to Damage
    https://bigislandnow.com/2018/05/03/...due-to-damage/

May 3, 2018, 7:13 AM HST (Updated May 3, 2018, 7:19 AM)

The Hawai‘i Civil Defense issued a Road Closure Message for Wednesday, May 2, 2018, at 9:30 p.m.

The Hawai‘i County Department of Public Works reports the section of Pāhoa-Pohoiki Road between Highway 132 (Kapoho Road) and Leilani Avenue in Leilani Estates, Puna District, is closed in both directions due to road damage.
    Detours through Highway 132 and Leilani Avenue are in place.
    Other cracks within Leilani Estates have also been reported.
    Area motorists are advised to be on the alert for roadway damage.

Hawai‘i Volcano: Civil Defense Discloses Areas That May Be Affected
    https://bigislandnow.com/2018/05/02/...y-be-affected/

May 2, 2018, 2:19 PM HST (Updated May 2, 2018, 2:19 PM)

Hawai‘i County Civil Defense issued the following message for Wednesday May 2, 2018 at 2 p.m.

The Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory reports continuous low-magnitude earthquake activity along the east rift zone in lower Puna to the coastal area of Kapoho.

Due to this activity, HVO indicates an eruption is possible.

Because it is not possible to predict where an eruption could occur, the areas that could be affected are Nanawale Estates, Leilani Estates or Kapoho.

Due to the possibility of an eruption, the following are issued:

Prepare and review your emergency plans in case you need to evacuate.

Stay informed by listening to local radio stations for Civil Defense updates or call civil defense at (808) 935-0031.

[I used to live in Nanavali and Leilani - have good friends in Leilani - wow...]

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Wow, was just there last September (2017) - watched lava spurting 100 or so feet into the air.

HB
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

Interesting about an Easter Island connection. There was just a M4.9, followed by a M6.0 earthquake there.

https://watchers.news/2018/05/02/sha...island-region/

A strong and shallow earthquake registered by the USGS as M6.0 hit Easter Island region at 06:32 UTC on May 2, 2018. The agency is reporting a depth of 10 km (6.2 miles). EMSC is reporting the same magnitude and depth.

According to the USGS, the epicenter was located 390.6 km (242.7 miles) NW of Hanga Roa, Chile (population 3 304).

There are no people living within 100 km (62 miles).
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

ABC7 News
    ‏Verified account @abc7newsbayarea
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: 4.6 earthquake shakes #Hawaii after hundreds of small quakes near volcano.

Thursday, May 03, 2018

The U.S. Geological Survey reports a 4.6-magnitude earthquake has struck Hawaii's Big Island.

The temblor Thursday is the latest and largest in a series of hundreds of small earthquakes to shake the island's active volcano, Kilauea, since the Puu Oo vent crater floor collapsed and caused magma to rush into new underground chambers. Scientists say a new eruption in the region is possible.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the earthquake centered about 3.5-miles deep on the south flank of Kilauea was not strong enough to trigger a tsunami.

Earthquakes in the region have been happening consistently since the Puu Oo crater collapsed on Monday.

Hawaii County officials reported Wednesday that a road in the Big Island's Puna District was closed after it was damaged by earlier quakes.

http://abc7news.com/46-earthquake-sh...lcano/3425395/

There was a 5.0 there today on the Big Island......

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...dxhr#executive
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post

Texican....
    And may a tornado flatten your house. /just saying

Pretty but deadly:
    Attached Images

If the volcano erupts, it will be a big boom for tourists. I can see the cruise line with an excursion to go see the lava. Disasters help the economy one way or another. Some lose and some win. Was in Hawaii in January, we hit all the islands.

I just called a good friend in Hilo who farms out near the active area (between Pahoa and the Opihikao Rd in case anyone is familiar with that area) and he said no one's getting upset about this. Yet.

ETA: About the economy. People who live in the affected areas of potential flows do feel negative impact; their houses or properties may get covered with lava, or may get cut off due to roads getting covered. Businesses may close; when the recent flows got into Pahoa, many businesses closed; I don't know if they all re-opened. I had friends who were buying a house there but it had to get postponed for a long time due to uncertainty and the bank wouldn't do the loan until the entire event was over. I know three people there with decent sized farms - one has a lot of acreage - and there is always danger of losing one's livelihood.
    Last edited by Be Well; 05-03-2018 at 09:48 PM.

The Vog was really bad this last April and I was sick with a bronchitis type ailment from the Vog.

I'm sure it's 1000X worse right now. V

4 Breaking News!

Lava flows detected in subdivision.

Civil Defense ordering mandatory evacuations.

Kilauea OnGoing | MultiView Volcano Live | 24/7 | 4K Stream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScrGXxf7Gk
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Fair Use Cited
    ----------------
    Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Begins to Send Lava into Communities on the Big Island; Mandatory Evacuations Ordered

By weather.com and the Associated Press·
    less than an hour ago·

At a Glance

▪ Cracks in roadways began to spew lava Thursday afternoon on the eastern end of the Big Island.
    ▪ Activity at the Puu Oo vent on Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano hinted at an eruption earlier this week.
    ▪ Similar activity was followed by eruptions of the volcano, scientists said.

Mandatory evacuations have been ordered in the Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivisions on the eastern side of Hawaii's Big Island following an eruption of lava from the Kilauea Volcano.

"Hawaii County Civil Defense is urging residents in the Puna community, home to about 10,000 residents, to get out now", according to Hawaii News Now.

Hawaii County spokeswoman Janet Snyder told the Associated Press that "red lava emerged on Mohala Street in the Leilani Estates subdivision. The county is ordering evacuations for homes from Luana Street to Pohohiki Road."

Several roads in the area have been closed by the Hawaii County Civil Defense.

Several earthquakes and the collapse of a crater floor at the Puu Oo vent on Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano have signaled that the Kilauea volcano is waking up since Monday.

Several 3.0 magnitude or larger earthquakes shook the Big Island on Thursday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, including one 5.0 magnitude earthquake late Thursday morning. The USGS and residents on the eastern side of the island reported a short-lived ash plume shortly after the 5.0 magnitude earthquake.

A Hawaiian Volcano Observatory overflight saw this plume of ash following the 5.0 earthquake Thursday morning.
    (Kevan Kamibayashi/USGS)

"Elevated earthquake activity continues in the area of Kîlauea Volcano's East Rift Zone from Highway 130 eastward towards Kapoho," according to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory on Thursday morning. Lava flow does not seem to threaten any communities according to the USGS.

Several cracks were found on Wednesday in Leilani Estates on the Big Island, but steam and ash did not erupt from those cracks until Thursday afternoon.

Previous eruptions followed similar activity in the area, USGS geologist Janet Babb told the Associated Press. The observatory issued a volcano activity alert in mid-April when the Puu Oo vent was seen inflating and becoming pressurized.

“We knew that change was afoot and we’ve seen this in the past, and so we have been kind of waiting and watching for whatever change that was going to happen to happen,” Babb said. “It happened yesterday afternoon.”

When the earthquakes and collapse occurred and the pressure within the Puu Oo vent was released, an “intrusion” of lava was sent into a new area of the volcano and spread throughout the night.

“Magma has now migrated into a lower part of the East Rift Zone,” Babb said. “The concern is that the intrusion migrated about 10 miles down rift into the area where Highway 130 is.”

In this April 23, 2018 photo provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, a helicopter view of Kilauea Volcano's Halemaumau crater shows the extent of the largest overflow (silver gray) of the lava lake in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii's Big Island.
    (C. Parcheta/U.S. Geological Survey via AP)

There are homes in that area of the Big Island and Highway 130 leads to a popular access point where people can hike or bike into the lava viewing area.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency sent out an alert Tuesday morning warning residents in the area to monitor the situation and be prepared for the possibility of a new lava flow.

Spokeswoman Kanani Aton said that the agency is “planning ahead for a worst-case scenario” by reviewing emergency plans and monitoring the activity in conjunction with USGS officials.

All public access from the island’s Puna District near Kalapana has been shut down and visitors have been warned to stay away in case of an eruption. Private excursions including boat and hiking tours have also been suspended.

“It’s been closed due to the possibility of an eruption and security has been posted to ensure that no unauthorized persons enter,” Aton said, adding that anywhere from 500 to 2,000 people visit the site each day. “It is important to note that although there is increased seismic activity in the area, the magnitude is not large enough to cause concern for tsunami.”

(MORE: This Was the Deadliest Type of Weather in 2017)

Geologists flew over the area and observed a layer of red ash covering the ground near the Puu Oo vent. The ash was spread throughout the area when the crater floor collapsed.

Most of Kilauea’s activity has been nonexplosive, but a 1924 eruption spewed ash and 10-ton rocks into the sky, leaving one man dead.

Puu Oo’s 1983 eruption resulted in lava fountains soaring over 1,500 feet high. In the decades since, the lava flow has buried dozens of square miles (kilometers) of land and destroyed many homes.

In 2008, after a series of small earthquakes rattled the island, Kilauea’s summit crater opened and gushed lava and rock over 75 acres of the mountain, damaging a nearby visitor overlook.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-0...lcano-activity
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

Saw this just posted on FB from a Kauai group,"10,000 residents now being evacuated from Leilani Estates on the Big Island as an eruption is happening...send prayers to all those in the Puna area...."

Sooo glad I'm home! Phew! V

Well that certainly sucks for those residents.

Still trying to determine the full extent and direction of movement.

Up to 10,000 residents may be affected.

Live,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScrGXxf7Gk
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Well that certainly sucks for those residents.
    Kinda like living on the Gulf Coast.

Some peeps wouldn't trade it for anything....hurricanes badamned.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

CIVIL DEFENSE MESSAGES and ALERTS

Civil Defense Messages and Alerts RSS Feed

Lava Eruption from Mohala Street in Leilani Estates Subdivision, Thursday May 3 at 5:30 PM

This is a Civil Defense update for Thursday May 3, 2018 at 5:30 PM.

Department of Public Works reports steam and lava emissions from a crack in Leilani Subdivision in the area of Mohala Street.

Due to the eruption, the following are issued:

◾All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions are required to evacuate.

◾The Pahoa Regional Community Center near the new Pahoa Regional Park is open for shelter.

◾Keaau Community Center is to be opened for additional shelter needs.

◾Residents evacuating should ensure to bring your emergency evacuation supply kit including necessary medicine, food, and necessary items for your comfort if possible.

◾The intersection at Highway 132 and Pohoiki Road is now closed to allow evacuation efforts to proceed.

◾Puna Geothermal Venture is executing their emergency plan and starting to shut down operations at this time.

◾Avoid travel to the evacuation area for everyone’s safety.

Hawaii County Civil Defense, Police, Fire and partners continue to assist evacuation efforts and monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety.

Thank you for listening. This is your Hawai’i County Civil Defense Agency.

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Kinda like living on the Gulf Coast.

Some peeps wouldn't trade it for anything....hurricanes badamned.
    True. Though I don't think much of the wisdom, or lack thereof, for those people either.

ETA, there is a difference in them to be fair. One leaves the ground intact when the storm passes, the other burns the ground making it uninhabitable for many years.

I was at Kilauea with a Girlfriend in 2011....she was highly asthmatic and had to be hospitalized because the VOG was causing a serious asthma attack...she was hospitalized for three days.

Its a huge crater and I wish I was there to watch the eruption.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Another pic
    Attached Images
    Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security.

Wishes are for the people in the path of the eruption,
    to be able to successfully evacuate.

This eruption, along with many other volcanic erruptions,
    are needed in order to take the Earth,
    into the much needed, grand solar minimum.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.

Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

The eruption isn't actually coming out of the crater, but rather fissures are showing up randomly all over the place. From these fissures the lava is bubbling and spewing up to 150' in the air. There is no way to predict where the fissures will come. The plume yesterday was from ash when the crater floor collapsed.

News is showing drone video as well as video from phones of the fissures. Amazing!

Issy

I wish I could hop a plane and be there for the eruption =(

Live streaming coverage,

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/198303/livestream

Lava spewing out of the ground higher than the telephone poles.
    Attached Images

Hawaii Island eruption leads to evacuation of Leilani Estates

May 3, 2018

2018-0503A

HAWAII ISLAND — Hawaii County Civil Defense has called for an evacuation of all residents of the Leilani Estates subdivision on Hawaii Island as a result of steam and lava emissions in the area of Mohala Street.

The intersection of Highway 132 and Pohoiki Road had been closed to allow evacuations to proceed.

The Pahoa Regional Community Center near the new Pahoa Regional Park is open as a shelter. Evacuating residents should bring emergency evacuation supplies, including food, medicines, and items necessary for personal comfort, if possible.

Puna Geothermal Venture has begun executing its emergency plan and is commencing shutdown procedures.

Hawaii County Civil Defense, police, fire, and partners continue to assist evacuation efforts and monitor the situation. Addition information will be provided as available.

http://dod.hawaii.gov/hiema/hawaii-i...ilani-estates/

Quote Originally Posted by JF&P View Post
    I was at Kilauea with a Girlfriend in 2011....she was highly asthmatic and had to be hospitalized because the VOG was causing a serious asthma attack...she was hospitalized for three days.

Its a huge crater and I wish I was there to watch the eruption.
    I can only imagine what she went through!

I had constant coughing and hacking for 3 1/2 weeks straight this last month on Kauai and I finally stopped coughing after taking Delsym 12 hour cough medicine and then finally landing at SeaTac this last thursday. V