Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Viking treasures discovered: 'Thor's hammer' among silver haul found on Baltic island
+ Reply to Thread

Viking treasures discovered: 'Thor's hammer' among silver haul found on Baltic island

Viking treasures discovered: 'Thor's hammer' among silver haul found on Baltic island
    5-7 minutes

An incredible trove of silver treasure linked to the era of a famous Viking king has been discovered on an island in the Baltic Sea.

Hundreds of 1,000-year-old silver coins, rings, pearls and bracelets have been found on the German island of Ruegen. The haul includes a piece of jewelry depicting “Thor’s hammer,” according to Ostsee-Zeitung.

Archaeologists said about 100 of the silver coins are probably from the reign of Harald Gormsson, better known as "Harald Bluetooth," who lived in the 10th century and introduced Christianity to Denmark. The king, who earned his nickname on account of a dead tooth that appeared blue, is a significant historical figure who unified parts of Scandinavia.

Harald Bluetooth was one of the last Viking kings of what is now Denmark, northern Germany, southern Sweden and parts of Norway.

Bluetooth wireless technology, invented by Swedish telecom company Ericsson to connect computers and wireless devices, is named after the king.

A single silver coin was first found in January by two amateur archaeologists, one of them a 13-year-old boy, in a field near the Ruegen village of Schaprode. The state archaeology office then became involved and the entire treasure was uncovered by experts over the weekend, the Mecklenburg-West Pomerania state archaeology office said Monday.

"It's the biggest trove of such coins in the southeastern Baltic region," archaeologists said, in a statement.

Other artifacts from the time of Harald Bluetooth have been found in the area. In the 19th century the “Hiddensee treasure,” a trove of stunning gold jewelry was found on a nearby island.

The Ruegen silver treasure is just the latest fascinating archaeological find from the Viking era. Last year, for example, an incredibly well-preserved Viking sword was found by a reindeer hunter on a remote mountain in Southern Norway. In 2016, archaeologists in Trondheim, Norway, unearthed the church where Viking King Olaf Haraldsson was first enshrined as a saint.

Also, in 2016, a tiny Viking crucifix was found in Denmark.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Follow James Rogers on Twitter @jamesjrogers

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/...ic-island.html

Thor's hammer amulets are common in grave sites. Some are heavy and elaborately made. After the Christians came, some Norse wore the hammer and the crucifix together. The Vikings were fond of intricate silverwork. They liked turtle broaches, shawl closures, beads, rings, bracelets, etc.

Etsy is actually a good place to get familiar with the silverwork. Many offerings are copies of museum pieces, and give the location found.

I am currently wearing a Navajo made silver cuff that is very much in the Viking style of the choker/arm band? in the pic above. Viking style was what drew me to it.
    Last edited by Faroe; 04-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Bah... Just the amulet.

I was hoping for:

Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Bah... Just the amulet.

I was hoping for:

Yes that would have been cool

https://www.ragweedforge.com/ThorsHammer.html

Thor's Hammers

Heilsa! Thanks for stopping by. Come in and look around.

Thor's Hammer is a symbol of the struggle against chaos and evil. It's the weapon used by Thor against giants, monsters, and other trollish folk who threaten the common good. It seems particularly appropriate in these troubled times. The Hammer was also important in the hallowing of hearth and home, in marriage ceremonies, and the invocation of fertility. There's an interesting article on the Hammer posted in Australia by Daniel Bray of Sydney University. http://www.mackaos.com.au/Articles/Mjol.html

Click on the images for an enlarged view.

They do not come with chains. There is such a variety of chains that I think you are better off buying one locally. You can get a far better selection, and a better price, at your local discount store than I could provide.
    /snip/
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Believe it or not, there was a merchant's "mold" for casting silver that had crosses on one side and Thor's Hammers on the other from this time period; or as my friend said when we were reenacting merchants and she was using a copy of it she said in a Norse type accent "We are equal opportunity merchants, Ja? We sell to everybody!"

That said, the other reason is it called Blue Tooth is one of the inventors (and writer of the first full instruction manual was my friend from the above story).

Or as I say to people, "there's a reason its called Blue Tooth, it is what happens when your engineers are also re-enactors" lol...

She loves it when little old ladies come up to her and say "dear, what do you do in your real life?" and in the right mood she will say "I have a Ph.D. in physics and I work in software engineering."

She never adds the Blue Tooth part their jaws have usually already dropped by that point.

Seriously this is a wonderful new find, the Norse preferred silver to gold in many cases and that Thor's hammer is a lovely example of a fairly common style; when husband was doing historical reproduction jewelry we had a version of it on the table.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Kinda looks like the Ban-hammer wielded by Olson the Curmudgeon.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Heheheheee...
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

I too wandered in hoping for a glimpse of THE hammer.

But, everything shown is rather more intricate and interesting than I expected. Thanks!
    We didn't elect Trump for his decorum; We elected him for our survival!

I think this is a reproduction of the mold in question, I'm sure the jewelry is but you can see what this looked like and I'm pretty sure it isn't the only one.

At least they didn't copy the Buddha statue that was found in one Norse grave (I'm not making that up) My hunch is that Houralf or Sigurd thought it was cool, not that a Viking Warrior decided to follow the 8 fold path.

There was a peacock in another grave, my husband jokes that his buddies were probably so relieved when they could send the noisy thing with "Olaf" to the Otherworld so they didn't have to listen to it anymore.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Oh no, only Sat wields the Banhammer2000™