Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP question for retired (older) folks that prep
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Old socks make good dust rags, just pull one over your hand and go at it.

I do have a rag bag, but when it's full, I toss extra material. Again, it's about setting whatever limits work for you.

I surprised myself and recently had a use for odd socks. I broke my small toe and ended up wearing a post op shoe for 8 weeks - in the winter - which really exposed my toes to the cold. A post surgical Shoe is short, open toed, with velcro straps, hard sole, and no insulation whatsoever.

Dug out those single socks and layered them up to keep the foot warm. :-) It was helpful to have them in various sizes and styles, some days I wore the brightest red to make the foot the most visible possible when I was in crowds and worried about someone stepping on my foot.

I too subscribe to the "buy a dozen of the same style crowd" and only store 12 or so odd socks, but was really glad to have them at the time and wouldn't dream of getting rid of them now.
    2redroses

I am redoing my house right now.

What I've done is to empty a room completely, paint walls and redo the flooring, and then only put back what I want and need. It's sort of like moving, but one room at a time. Each room takes a while, heck I'm old and doing this myself. I have been sorting and tossing or recycling to SA as I go. Much easier this way. I don't have any off site storage or sheds or outbuildings, never have. I have limited storage in the house, as the basement is a den. Obviously, I will always keep my LTS food and my water. But it's the junk in my life that is leaving, may someone else enjoy it.

Motivation? I'm older now and I don't want to leave a mess for my kids. On the plus side, it's beginning to look nice here, I've done one bathroom, one hallway and almost done one bedroom. I will be done this two bedroom plus den and single garage home by next winter, chugging along as I can. Just doing something daily. I know if I were younger, had less stuff, and was more physically fit, this could be done in a couple of months. But chugging along works too, my objective is to live in a clutter and crap free home.

I also have redone every single bit of plumbing (hired this out), it was just time. Pipes were cleaned out, new toilets and sinks etc. I had postponed this so long, we were using the toilet in one bathroom, but had to wash up in the other one, ugh.

The plumbing did set me back $2k, but had never been done other than an odd faucet over the years. I got the paint as "oops" cans at lowes or home depot for the past couple of years. The flooring is vinyl planks from Ollie's. Nothing is costing me much, it's the effort is mainly.

Everyone asks if I'm going to be selling, nope. Just going to live in a clean and well functioning home.

This approach is working for me. I wasn't a hoarder, but rather a "collector", and I will keep what is necessary to be prepared for an unsure future. But I want to be free of the "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    Who said anything about money. The money is already spent, it's sitting there in the piles of junk everyone is hanging onto and NOT using.....

Based on many responses in this thread, this is probably a selfie of many of the houses:

Just saving that stuff, well, because it might just be needed in 10 years. Yep, I bet they're "preppers".
    Well this is not how my house looks , just so you know.

This is how my moms house looks in every room.

When I go over their and look around I wounder how she can live like this, and she is getting realy old , so it won't be long and I will be having many big bomb fires.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Our CT home was to be the retreat for our clan of 20 in a SHTF due to location and sustainability. It was pretty well organized except for the attic, which had family "heirlooms" that were 200+ yo. Many unidentified photos were tossed.

When we retired I donated what I could to schools, colleges, historical soc, and SA. I divided the preps to the clan and packed 3 foot lockers for our new home in SC. The rest went into the 16' dumpster.

When we unpacked and organized hubby, who is a sweety, asked if there were any preps we needed. I looked things over and said we needed a better water filter system. And he went out and got it!

Do to age and health we will not be trying to survive decades, but we do have a nice MAG group to help in a crises.

PS: The bag of single socks made the trip south! LOL
    Maybe I can find a one-legged pirate retirement home down here.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post

When I go over their and look around I wounder how she can live like this, and she is getting realy old , so it won't be long and I will be having many big bomb fires.
    This picture is scary, my office is approaching this. The picture didn't copy.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    Its really hard for me throw away stuff that has any kind of use to it. I am drowning in stuff. This morning I ran across a laundry hamper full of odd socks. I want to get rid of things like this but just can't bring myself to do so. This is just one example. What do you think?

Judy

Find some puppy litters for sale or for free and start donating socks

Put the socks in with the litter for a few days
    When each puppy is given away also give a sock

The sock will smell like the sibling litter and work like a comfort blanket to the now lonely puppy

I see only three reasons to save things. Because it has prepping value, because you are being frugal, or because there is a hoarding situation. The first two reasons work very well together and third reason never works at all.

One of the things that make us human is our propensity to generate garbage. Have you ever noticed that you can come home from the grocery with a dozen bags that neatly fit in the trunk of your car but at the end of the week, those groceries have somehow multiplied and divided and now fill up two of those new green dumpsters. It is really amazing.

And you know archeologist love to find the dump of the "lost city of gold" because that is where you find all the the broken relics that give a picture of the culture and life of that civilization.
    Yes, they find it at the dump.

Except for King Tut. That guy had a ****ing garage full of shit. Old boats, Old Chariots, Old Slaves. And when he died his relatives showed up to clean up the estate. And they opened the door and said "oh god, you smell that? no ****ing way I am going in there. that's a level 5 environmental hazard". So they got a bunch of rocks and covered it up.
    <excerpt from making of the pyrimids, Vol I>

Do something useful for mankind. Donate your stuff to an archeological archive - the dump.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    Its really hard for me throw away stuff that has any kind of use to it. I am drowning in stuff. This morning I ran across a laundry hamper full of odd socks. I want to get rid of things like this but just can't bring myself to do so. This is just one example. What do you think?

Judy
    Judy, when the clutter is keeping you from finding things you need and use, it's no longer prepping. It's hoarding. I use the two year rule. If I haven't used or even thought of something for two years, out it goes. I try and donate what I can...one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. I was going through some stuff the other day and I found an old suitcase full of college textbooks and class notes...from the '70's! I had forgotten that they were even there. Out they went because they had been there since we moved into this house in 1983 and never looked at. I'm entering the autumn of my life here. I really don't want my kids to have the burden of having to deal with my junk because it IS junk to them.
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

Quote Originally Posted by Redcat View Post
    This approach is working for me. I wasn't a hoarder, but rather a "collector", and I will keep what is necessary to be prepared for an unsure future. But I want to be free of the "stuff".
    That's truly awesome and a sensible way to do it!

If i didn't want it,or need it i would not have bought it.If i needed it once,chances are i will need it again someday.Keeping it secure from deterioration is my only goal.When tshtf,overstock problems will quickly take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    Find some puppy litters for sale or for free and start donating socks

Put the socks in with the litter for a few days
    When each puppy is given away also give a sock

The sock will smell like the sibling litter and work like a comfort blanket to the now lonely puppy
    Very cute, love it!
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Out they went because they had been there since we moved into this house in 1983 and never looked at. I'm entering the autumn of my life here. I really don't want my kids to have the burden of having to deal with my junk because it IS junk to them.
    This is a VERY important point.

There are many on this board that are older. They might think all the "stuff" laying around has value, even if it hasn't been touched for many years.

Do your kids a favor, throw all the junk away, so they don't have to deal with it when you're no longer there. It's just JUNK!!!

I went through this situation when I had to sell my father's house out of state. First weekend there, I filled a 30 yard dumpster of crap that he "saved". The next time I went for the weekend, I filled another 20 yard dumpster of old crap that was "saved". We also donated a box truck full of furniture and 3 pickup truck loads of household items were given to a local friend.

I've you haven't used it in a while, stop stepping over it every day and throw the junk out. Your kids will thank you for it!!
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River

It's a disease dogmanan. There's no rhyme or reason and to them, they don't see it because it's a "comfort" believe it or not, so go gentle and respectful as you encourage them to get help. If not, it'll only be traumatic and/or drama for them and you when you go in to clean.

I hate to recommend TV shows but watch a few "Hoarders," then you'll get the picture.

The key is to adopt the "6 month Rule". If you haven't needed it or touched in in 6 months, out it goes.
    That's pretty much the antithesis of prepping...LOL! Doesn't even allow for storing seasonal clothing...unless I wear snow boots in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    It's a disease dogmanan. There's no rhyme or reason and to them, they don't see it because it's a "comfort" believe it or not, so go gentle and respectful as you encourage them to get help. If not, it'll only be traumatic and/or drama for them and you when you go in to clean.

I hate to recommend TV shows but watch a few "Hoarders," then you'll get the picture.
    Their is know help for my mom any more she has been like that for over thirty years, shit she has a around four can garage that the celings are 12 foot high and it is filled to the top you can't even open the door to get in it, the basement is the same way.

Her sister was even worse when she died my uncle and his two sons so far have filled 15 20yard dumpesters and they are only half done.
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

We visited a musician friend at his home today. Today was first time we visited his home, 2 huge Grand pianos (not babies), a harp. cello, an organ, an accordian. All in a beautiful 16x50 room with both parallel walls having 9 shelves of bookcases 10 feet high! OK my first thought was this thread, especially since they have no children. They may not be hoarders but have too much stuff at their age 65+. Oh did I mention he and his wife are painters with artwork floor to ceiling in the other rooms! I hope they have their final plans made! We did have a wonderful visit.

I have reached a point where stuff is overrated
    Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
    Has the captain let go of the wheel?
    Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
    I see the road to tomorrow in the haze - Queensryche

Quote Originally Posted by dstraito View Post
    I have reached a point where stuff is overrated
    I am the same way. I really enjoy clean and spacious much more

As Doz says, "Mindset, skillset then toolset' And I pride myself in being able to McGuyver anything and any situation; having piles of stuff hampers my creativity

But all my junk is good stuff. The kind that one can also recycle. Granted I have a few to many trucks and cars etc.. But those too are recyclable.

With base metals up, the piles of steel, aluminum, copper, brass, and scrap clean metals are close to be traded/exchanged in for more compacted, and vary valuable PMs.

Their is know help for my mom any more she has been like that for over thirty years, shit she has a around four can garage that the celings are 12 foot high and it is filled to the top you can't even open the door to get in it, the basement is the same way.

Her sister was even worse when she died my uncle and his two sons so far have filled 15 20yard dumpesters and they are only half done.
    one must have a tender, gentle, spirit able to sit and talk for endless hours full of comfort and nurture to appropriately deal with these folks.

of course it also helps if you are a pick pocket and sneak thief with an advanced case of OCD and a fascination with trinkets which have no intrinsic value.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

I am, and have been for 60 years, a model airplane builder. About 7 years ago a fine man from Uruguay mentioned on one of the model boards that I read that he was helping some youngsters build models. He could get almost no supplies in country so I sent him a few things. He was very appreciative. A year or so later my wife said that when I died she would probably just burn my model stuff as she would not know what else to do. That started me mailing a LOT of my stuff to him. 6 of the youngsters that he started building models years ago have now gone on to careers in aviation or engineering in their country. I like to think that some of the equipment that I have sent may have had a small impact on that success. As a bonus my wife will not have nearly as big a bonfire to light.

Quote Originally Posted by teedee View Post
    I am, and have been for 60 years, a model airplane builder. About 7 years ago a fine man from Uruguay mentioned on one of the model boards that I read that he was helping some youngsters build models. He could get almost no supplies in country so I sent him a few things. He was very appreciative. A year or so later my wife said that when I died she would probably just burn my model stuff as she would not know what else to do. That started me mailing a LOT of my stuff to him. 6 of the youngsters that he started building models years ago have now gone on to careers in aviation or engineering in their country. I like to think that some of the equipment that I have sent may have had a small impact on that success. As a bonus my wife will not have nearly as big a bonfire to light.
    Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by teedee View Post
    Great story

teedee, thanks for your story, I hope our friend finds a musical group for his stuff.

I'm finding the preps for me and my family of ten years ago are no longer appropriate at this stage of life. Having had to help take care of a close relative's estate I do not want to leave a mass of clutter for the kids to sift thru like some archeology site.

Now I'm slowly tossing, donating or selling whats not needed. It is a very freeing experience. It dose take certain level of ruthlessness and many reality checks. It is not happening fast but it is happening.

*A sock of appropriate length put over a wine bottle may help prevent it from breaking during travel.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

What a great question and thread in response...

I'm not going to throw rocks because I will go out into "my" garage with the intention of "cleaning up" and find many things that truthfully I haven't used in years. Often, I can recall times when I HAVE used various things and essentially use it as an excuse to hang onto some of my "stuff". I have had the rag/sock showdown and admit to keeping some of the rags or socks that would be good cleaning cloths.

We're getting out of a storage unit this spring/summer and I think that will be a major win as long as we actually get rid of most of what's in there.

To be clear, you can make your way around our house and garage very well, but there are things that I understand folks having issues parting with. A purge of two of our attics is coming up too...

Jeff B.
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
    Plutarch (Roman Philosopher and Statesman)

Who said anything about money. The money is already spent, it's sitting there in the piles of junk everyone is hanging onto and NOT using.....

Based on many responses in this thread, this is probably a selfie of many of the houses:

Just saving that stuff, well, because it might just be needed in 10 years. Yep, I bet they're "preppers".

I have seen a number of homes that look like this ^^^ and I'm doing what I can to keep my wife from doing it to us. I here to tell you the woman is a packrat.

My neighbor is a hoarder. Her hoard often ends up in my hedges. Her car is full of her hoard above the level of the windows but not yet blocking her view. She has two homes both full. Next door house has a double garage that she has not been able to use for at least 20 years. Also, a shed behind the house that is full and hasn't been opened in probably 20 years. She doesn't allow anyone access to her home and the one time I saw inside the back door (which is now blocked by a pile outside the door) there was a layer of trash 4" deep on the inside steps. A plumber found dead animals in the house and I asked if he'd reported it and he said no. I asked if he would do so next time he was in there to fix something. He said that he was NEVER going in that house again. The outside of the front door is also blocked with her hoard. Being buried by stuff is a very sad way to live.

Seeing all that next door has encouraged me to not add to what I have and I'm getting rid of stuff although not wholesale. I paid money for my stuff and if I perceive a potential use for the item I keep it. I am ruthless about getting rid of items worn beyond their use. I recently found a bag of socks that I'd saved "just in case" and I bravely tossed the bag in the trash. Unfortunately, I've also lately had to throw away quite a bit of food storage that was 10 years outdated. I'm now trying to be more conservative about my food storage and am saving to buy more freeze dried foods for long term storage rather than stocking grocery store items beyond regular use.

I go between I'm 75 and how much to I need to survive and, my mom is 96 and still living independently so maybe I do need to plan more than a week ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago I quit gunsmithing (got a real job) and I kept all the supplies and tools. Many years later I started selling many of the gun parts on Ebay when I saw how much more the parts were then worth. I sold a lot of my parts. Then I started looking at what I had left over and first built me a nice 22 rifle. Next I built a .32 mag rifle, which is now one of my favorite firearms. Both of those rifles were built using stuff in my junk pile (I did have to buy a chamber reamer for the .32).
    So saved junk can turn out to be both valuable and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Many years ago I quit gunsmithing (got a real job) and I kept all the supplies and tools. Many years later I started selling many of the gun parts on Ebay when I saw how much more the parts were then worth. I sold a lot of my parts. Then I started looking at what I had left over and first built me a nice 22 rifle. Next I built a .32 mag rifle, which is now one of my favorite firearms. Both of those rifles were built using stuff in my junk pile (I did have to buy a chamber reamer for the .32).
    So saved junk can turn out to be both valuable and useful.

WOW would love to have a 32 rifle that shoots 32 long colt, I have a couple of 7 shot revolvers I uses 32 long colt shells in that a lever action 32 rifle would be good to have

WOW would love to have a 32 rifle that shoots 32 long colt, I have a couple of 7 shot revolvers I uses 32 long colt shells in that a lever action 32 rifle would be good to have
    I had purchased a pair of 32 mag Ruger Single Sixes and wanted a rifle to match. Marlin did make a few in that caliber but very few and the price now reflects that fact. So being a cheap skate I made own. I almost chambered the rifle in .327 mag so it could shoot an additional caliber but at the end I stuck with .32 mag. It still shoots .32 mag, .32 S&W long and short, and .32 auto.

As for the 32 Colt you could find a Marlin lever (like a Model 92) that was made to shoot 32 rimfire or 32 Colt with just s witch of the firing pin. My brother had one and though it came with the rimfire firing pin when he bought it, I made him a centerfire firing pin so he could shoot cheaper, reloadable ammo in it.

The first thing we did to quell the influx of "stuff", was to let the extended family know that we didn't want anything for Christmas -anymore. Hubby has a large family that liked to go all out on the gift giving. Every year we'd come home with a pile of gifts, and sadly, a lot of stuff that we didn't really want or need.

When we first moved into our last house I'd innocently bought myself a little rooster ornament that looked cute in the kitchen. Oh Lord, MIL told everyone I collected chickens! I ended up with so much chicken themed junk!! At the time, we were stationed close enough that they could come and visit so I felt obligated to have it all on display. Thankfully, now that we are out of visiting range I've been able to offload most of it. We don't have trash pick up out here so I wait for a nice day then set any good things out in front of the dumpsters and hope they'll bring pleasure to someone who does want a chicken vase or barn shaped cookie jar. But when you've been raised to appreciate gifts given to you, it almost feels like a sin to take them to the dumpsters.

MIL's now moved on to those little solar powered ornaments at the dollar store!!!!! Arghh! One was cute. ten, not so much!

I've been recycling the out of date food preps. Some gets eaten (depending on the condition, type of food and how far out of date), some gets tossed, some get composted and most gets fed to the fur balls or chickens. Some of the preps are replaced, some not depending on how realistic it is we are likely to use them.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

I moved out of my 30' 5th wheel RV, selling it. Got rid of a lot of stuff at the womens resource center. Had to many good bath towels, they said they don't get enough of those. Gad, how many towels can one person use any how. Only have 3 now.

All the rest of my stuff is in storage for now. Then when I get my new used class C RV , I will move into it and probably get rid of some more things. Sure work like a charm for me to ditch stuff. I still have some of my prep stuff that I will keep though.

I tried to feed my adult daughter some of my out of date canned vegies, green beans, and she had a sh$t fit. Their DGI's. Her hubby tried to throw them away so I pulled them out of the trash and put them in the storage place. They were in 6 packs and only a year old for God sake.
    Guns, Grub, and God!

Quote Originally Posted by anna43 View Post
    My neighbor is a hoarder. Her hoard often ends up in my hedges. Her car is full of her hoard above the level of the windows but not yet blocking her view.
    I had a neighbor that kept his car literally FILLED with his hoard. It was packed up to the headliner in the car. And what was really sad - he would go around the neighborhood on Wednesdays and ask people for their coupons (which arrived each Wednesday).