Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


Earth Chgs Fukushima Has Now Contaminated Over 1/3 Of The Worlds Oceans (And It’s Getting Worse)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sandhills North Carolina
    Posts
    33,770

    Fukushima Has Now Contaminated Over 1/3 Of The Worlds Oceans (And It’s Getting Worse)

    http://anonhq.com/fukushima-now-cont...getting-worse/

    Fukushima Has Now Contaminated Over 1/3 Of The Worlds Oceans (And It’s Getting Worse)
    By hqanon - March 6, 2018

    Most people do not realize the repercussions that disasters like the Fukushima nuclear meltdown have on the world. When it happens the media is all over it, and then soon they trickle off and nobody ever thinks about it again.


    But the fact is, even though nobody is talking about it, it does not mean that the trouble is gone. Quite the contrary actually, the Fukushima disaster is still affecting the world today. Almost one-third of the globe is thought to have been contaminated from the leak out from the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster.

    More than 80% of the radioactivity from the damaged reactors ended up in the Pacific Ocean, far more than reached the ocean from Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. Of this, a small fraction is currently on the seafloor, the rest was swept up by the Kuroshio Current, a Western Pacific version of the Gulf Stream, and carried out to sea where it mixed with the vast volume of the North Pacific.

    These materials, primarily two isotopes of cesium, only recently began to appear in the Eastern Pacific. For example, in 2015 we detected signs of radioactive contamination from Fukushima along the coast near British Columbia and California. While these amounts are trace, the danger of radioactive material in any amount cannot be underestimated. Every possible exposure, in any small amount, adds up.
    So what should we take from this? That it is incorrect to say that Fukushima is under control when levels of radioactivity in the ocean indicate that the leaks are ongoing. More than 1,000 tanks brimming with irradiated water stand inland from the Fukushima nuclear plant. Each day 300 tonnes of water are pumped through Fukushima’s ruined reactors to keep them cool.
    The company that owns the plant, TEPCO, has deployed a filtration device that has stripped very dangerous isotopes of strontium and cesium from the flow. The water in the tanks still contains tritium and isotope of hydrogen with two neutrons. Tritium is a major by-product of nuclear reactions and is difficult and expensive to remove from the water.

    Now, Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority has launched a campaign to convince a skeptical world that dumping up to 800,000 tonnes of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean and is a safe and responsible thing to do.
    I say, that any further dumping is done, the IAEA and Tokyo Electric Power Co., need to consider the impact that it is having on the environment. Entire livelihoods could be affected as well as the long-tern health of the region and eventually the global community

    Click here to follow us on steemit.com, the decentralized social media platform with no censorship and get paid for your posts, likes and comments!
    Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    http://anonhq.com/fukushima-now-cont...getting-worse/

    Fukushima Has Now Contaminated Over 1/3 Of The Worlds Oceans (And It’s Getting Worse)
    By hqanon - March 6, 2018

    Most people do not realize the repercussions that disasters like the Fukushima nuclear meltdown have on the world. When it happens the media is all over it, and then soon they trickle off and nobody ever thinks about it again.


    But the fact is, even though nobody is talking about it, it does not mean that the trouble is gone. Quite the contrary actually, the Fukushima disaster is still affecting the world today. Almost one-third of the globe is thought to have been contaminated from the leak out from the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster.

    More than 80% of the radioactivity from the damaged reactors ended up in the Pacific Ocean, far more than reached the ocean from Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. Of this, a small fraction is currently on the seafloor, the rest was swept up by the Kuroshio Current, a Western Pacific version of the Gulf Stream, and carried out to sea where it mixed with the vast volume of the North Pacific.

    These materials, primarily two isotopes of cesium, only recently began to appear in the Eastern Pacific. For example, in 2015 we detected signs of radioactive contamination from Fukushima along the coast near British Columbia and California. While these amounts are trace, the danger of radioactive material in any amount cannot be underestimated. Every possible exposure, in any small amount, adds up.
    So what should we take from this? That it is incorrect to say that Fukushima is under control when levels of radioactivity in the ocean indicate that the leaks are ongoing. More than 1,000 tanks brimming with irradiated water stand inland from the Fukushima nuclear plant. Each day 300 tonnes of water are pumped through Fukushima’s ruined reactors to keep them cool.
    The company that owns the plant, TEPCO, has deployed a filtration device that has stripped very dangerous isotopes of strontium and cesium from the flow. The water in the tanks still contains tritium and isotope of hydrogen with two neutrons. Tritium is a major by-product of nuclear reactions and is difficult and expensive to remove from the water.

    Now, Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority has launched a campaign to convince a skeptical world that dumping up to 800,000 tonnes of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean and is a safe and responsible thing to do.
    I say, that any further dumping is done, the IAEA and Tokyo Electric Power Co., need to consider the impact that it is having on the environment. Entire livelihoods could be affected as well as the long-tern health of the region and eventually the global community

    Click here to follow us on steemit.com, the decentralized social media platform with no censorship and get paid for your posts, likes and comments!
    That article is pure bullshit. The image comes from a NOAA Tsunami wave amplitude model and has absolutely nothing to do with spread of 'radiation'/contamination.

    https://nctr.pmel.noaa.gov/honshu20110311/


    ETA

    https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global...n_volumes.html

    Total volume of the North and South Pacific Ocean:
    660,000,000 km^3 or 410,104,987 miles^3

    It'd take several hundred fukushima's to appreciably contaminate that volume of water.
    Last edited by Rayku; 04-15-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    14,127
    The person(s) who started the fake story went to all the trouble of deleting names and numbers on the graphic but then left in the triangles and the legend on the top of South America. As if radiation has ever been measured in centimeters! So I give them a B- for creativity and a F for lack of attention to details.

    By the way, this is something like the fourth or fifth time this fake story and graphic have been posted on the forum and it's been debunked each and every time.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    The person(s) who started the fake story went to all the trouble of deleting names and numbers on the graphic but then left in the triangles and the legend on the top of South America. As if radiation has ever been measured in centimeters! So I give them a B- for creativity and a F for lack of attention to details.

    By the way, this is something like the fourth or fifth time this fake story and graphic have been posted on the forum and it's been debunked each and every time.
    They know most won't read and understand it, or most importantly question it.
    It seems about half the internet is click bait now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    They know most won't read and understand it, or most importantly question it.
    It seems about half the internet is click bait now.
    Exactly.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sandhills North Carolina
    Posts
    33,770
    http://www.spiritualwisdome.com/fuku...-to-get-worse/

    FUKUSHIMA RADIATION HAS CONTAMINATED THE ENTIRE PACIFIC OCEAN – AND IT’S GOING TO GET WORSE
    Mystic Reader April 6, 2018 1 comment

    The nuclear disaster has contaminated the world’s largest ocean in only five years and it’s still leaking 300 tons of radioactive waste every day.



    What was the most dangerous nuclear disaster in world history? Most people would say the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Ukraine, but they’d be wrong.

    In 2011, an earthquake, believed to be an aftershock of the 2010 earthquake in Chile, created a tsunami that caused a meltdown at the TEPCO nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan.

    Three nuclear reactors melted down and what happened next was the largest release of radiation into the water in the history of the world. Over the next three months, radioactive chemicals, some in even greater quantities than Chernobyl, leaked into the Pacific Ocean.

    However, the numbers may actually be much higher as Japanese official estimates have been proven by several scientists to be flawed in recent years.
    If that weren’t bad enough, Fukushima continues to leak an astounding 300 tons of radioactive waste into the Pacific Ocean every day. It will continue do so indefinitely as the source of the leak cannot be sealed as it is inaccessible to both humans and robots due to extremely high temperatures.

    It should come as no surprise, then, that Fukushima has contaminated the entire Pacific Ocean in just five years. This could easily be the worst environmental disaster in human history and it is almost never talked about by politicians, establishment scientists, or the news.

    It is interesting to note that TEPCO is a subsidiary of General Electric (also known as GE), one of the largest companies in the world, which has considerable control over numerous news corporations and politicians alike.

    Could this possibly explain the lack of news coverage Fukushima has received in the last five years?
    There is also evidence that GE knew about the poor condition of the Fukushima reactors for decades and did nothing. This led 1,400 Japanese citizens to sue GE for their role in the Fukushima nuclear disaster.



    Even if we can’t see the radiation itself, some parts of North America’s western coast have been feeling the effects for years. Not long after Fukushima, fish in Canada began bleeding from their gills, mouths, and eyeballs.

    This “disease” has been ignored by the government and has decimated native fish populations, including the North Pacific herring. Elsewhere in Western Canada, independent scientists have measured a 300% increase in the level of radiation.

    According to them, the amount of radiation in the Pacific Ocean is increasing every year. Why is this being ignored by the mainstream media?

    It might have something to do with the fact that the US and Canadian governments have banned their citizens from talking about Fukushima so “people don’t panic.”

    Further south in Oregon, USA, starfish began losing legs and then disintegrating entirely when Fukushima radiation arrived there in 2013. Now, they are dying in record amounts, putting the entire oceanic ecosystem in that area at risk.

    However, government officials say Fukushima is not to blame even though radiation in Oregon tuna tripled after Fukushima.

    In 2014, radiation on California beaches increased by 500 percent. In response, government officials said that the radiation was coming from a mysterious “unknown” source and was nothing to worry about.

    However, Fukushima is having a bigger impact than just the West coast of North America.

    Scientists are now saying that the Pacific Ocean is already radioactive and is currently at least 5-10 times more radioactive than when the US government dropped numerous nuclear bombs in the Pacific during and after World War II.
    Attached Images

  7. #7
    It might have something to do with the fact that the US and Canadian governments have banned their citizens from talking about Fukushima so “people don’t panic.”
    The fact you were able to post that proves there is no "ban" on talking about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    FUKUSHIMA RADIATION HAS CONTAMINATED THE ENTIRE PACIFIC OCEAN – AND IT’S GOING TO GET WORSE
    Mystic Reader April 6, 2018 1 comment

    The nuclear disaster has contaminated the world’s largest ocean in only five years and it’s still leaking 300 tons of radioactive waste every day.
    Once again, BS. The first and most obvious problem with that is 300 tons a day of radioactive waste.
    Let's assume for the moment a unicorn pose in that every ounce is 'high' level waste. Let us also assume a straight eight years at 300 tons a day. 2,982 days at 300 tons a day. That would be 876,000 tons or 1,752,000,000 pounds. The first problem there would be where 300 tons a day came from.
    You cannot magic into existence matter where there was none.
    On average, a cubic yard of concrete weighs 4,050 pounds, or 150 pounds per cubic foot. At that weight the entire plant along with part of the countryside would have had to melt into the sea. But just for giggles, let's carry on.

    https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global...n_volumes.html

    Total volume of the North and South Pacific Ocean:
    660,000,000 km^3 or 410,104,987 miles^3

    On average, one cubic mile of water equals 1.1 trillion gallons, 147.2 billion cubic feet, or 3.38 million acre-feet, and weighs 9.2 trillion pounds (4.6 billion tons). 9.2 trillion pounds... just in one cubic mile of water.
    Multiply that by 410,104,987.
    3,772,965,880,400,000,000,000,000 pounds. That's how much ocean we are to believe has been contaminated.... Not even the entire main island of Japan slagged into radioactive waste would be enough to make that entire volume 'contaminated'.

    BS pure and simple.
    Last edited by Rayku; 04-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Once again, BS. The first and most obvious problem with that is 300 tons a day of radioactive waste.
    Let's assume for the moment a unicorn pose in that every ounce is 'high' level waste. Let us also assume a straight eight years at 300 tons a day. 2,982 days at 300 tons a day. That would be 876,000 tons or 1,752,000,000 pounds. The first problem there would be where 300 tons a day came from.
    You cannot magic into existence matter where there was none.
    On average, a cubic yard of concrete weighs 4,050 pounds, or 150 pounds per cubic foot. At that weight the entire plant along with part of the countryside would have had to melt into the sea. But just for giggles, let's carry on.

    https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global...n_volumes.html

    Total volume of the North and South Pacific Ocean:
    660,000,000 km^3 or 410,104,987 miles^3

    On average, one cubic mile of water equals 1.1 trillion gallons, 147.2 billion cubic feet, or 3.38 million acre-feet, and weighs 9.2 trillion pounds (4.6 billion tons). 9.2 trillion pounds... just in one cubic mile of water.
    Multiply that by 410,104,987.
    3,772,965,880,400,000,000,000,000 pounds. That's how much ocean we are to believe has been contaminated.... Not even the entire main island of Japan slagged into radioactive waste would be enough to make that entire volume 'contaminated'.

    BS pure and simple.
    Actually, it is your "technical analysis" that is "BS pure and simple".

    Let's see what the argument really states. 300 tons per day of contaminated waste is not solids. It is radioactive particle-laden water.
    300 tons per day = 12.5 tons per hour
    Water weighs 8.3 pounds/gallon
    1 ton = 2000 pounds

    The argument states that 12.5 tons per hour flows into the ocean.
    12.5 x 2000 = 25,000 pounds = 3,012 gallons per hour = 50.2 gallons per minute

    That is a very small stream.... easily accounted as groundwater flow under the reactors and compounded by regular rain runoff at the surface. I see no problem with that figure.

    Just because some unskilled "journalists" cannot assemble (due to lack of official information) a decent chart of contaminated waters and the flow/dispersion thereof, does not mean the problem is a hoax. Your claim that this is a hoax needs to follow with proof that there is no contamination of this major disaster going into the Pacific. What evidence to you offer besides your pompous assertion?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    Actually, it is your "technical analysis" that is "BS pure and simple".

    Let's see what the argument really states. 300 tons per day of contaminated waste is not solids. It is radioactive particle-laden water.
    300 tons per day = 12.5 tons per hour
    Water weighs 8.3 pounds/gallon
    1 ton = 2000 pounds

    The argument states that 12.5 tons per hour flows into the ocean.
    12.5 x 2000 = 25,000 pounds = 3,012 gallons per hour = 50.2 gallons per minute

    That is a very small stream.... easily accounted as groundwater flow under the reactors and compounded by regular rain runoff at the surface. I see no problem with that figure.

    Just because some unskilled "journalists" cannot assemble (due to lack of official information) a decent chart of contaminated waters and the flow/dispersion thereof, does not mean the problem is a hoax. Your claim that this is a hoax needs to follow with proof that there is no contamination of this major disaster going into the Pacific. What evidence to you offer besides your pompous assertion?
    Umm you didn't read the original article did you?
    However, the numbers may actually be much higher as Japanese official estimates have been proven by several scientists to be flawed in recent years.
    If that weren’t bad enough, Fukushima continues to leak an astounding 300 tons of radioactive waste into the Pacific Ocean every day. It will continue do so indefinitely as the source of the leak cannot be sealed as it is inaccessible to both humans and robots due to extremely high temperatures.
    Tell me where that specified a liquid? As for the numbers, it takes X amount of mass A, to contaminate mass B, regardless of its state (gas, liquid, solid). Think parts per billion.
    Using your 8.3 weight, and your leak rate we get 26,385,120 gallons per year ×8.3 pounds =218,996,496 pounds per year, or

    3,012×24
    =72,288 gallons

    72,288×365
    =26,385,120 gallons

    26,385,120×8.3
    =218,996,496

    218,996,496÷2,000
    =109,498.248 tons per year.

    109,498.248×7
    =766,487.736 tons assuming a constant over the intervening years.

    No matter how you cook the math, it doesn't add up to;
    FUKUSHIMA RADIATION HAS CONTAMINATED THE ENTIRE PACIFIC OCEAN – AND IT’S GOING TO GET WORSE
    From the second 'article' being responded to.

    Just because some unskilled "journalists" cannot assemble (due to lack of official information) a decent chart of contaminated waters and the flow/dispersion thereof, does not mean the problem is a hoax.
    Alternatively, it doesn't mean it's true either. Your working from confirmation bias.

    Get hostile all you wish, it will not make it true.

    You might also try to remember there are natural radionuclides in the ocean just like any other part of the earth.
    https://inis.iaea.org/search/search...._q=RN:31034871

    Conflating natural background with Fukushima leaks is a mistake. Also ask yourself what constitutes 'contaminated' to begin with?
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1502/ML15021A530.pdf

    THE FACTS: BOTTOM LINE The available evidence continues to lead the NRC and other Federal, State and local governments to conclude the low levels of radiation leaking into the ocean from Fukushima Daiichi fall well short of posing any U.S. health or environmental risk.

    https://eos.org/articles/iaea-affirm...ity-monitoring
    Then the reference study by IAEA
    https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/f...port270717.pdf

    Bottom line is the histrionics are not supported by hard data. There are reasons the areas that did show elevated levels have declined, and there is a reason the data shows the vast majority of the Pacific did not show levels above natural background. Two words: dilution and decay.

    People are free to think whatever they want, but the premise that the entirety of the Pacific Oceans was contaminated is 100% debunked by hard data. It's not my problem if any given person doesn't believe. It is what it is. Those making counter claims are long on opinion and short on fact, and as evidenced by the OP article have taken to outright forgery to support an already debunked claim.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Umm you didn't read the original article did you?
    Uh, yeah, I did. Did you?


    Tell me where that specified a liquid?
    Oh, boy. You really insist on being dense. A little piece of information for you: the ocean is liquid. Water is liquid.

    Here is an excerpt to point out that we are talking about LIQUID contamination-
    [That it is incorrect to say that Fukushima is under control when levels of radioactivity in the ocean indicate that the leaks are ongoing. More than 1,000 tanks brimming with irradiated water stand inland from the Fukushima nuclear plant. Each day 300 tonnes of water are pumped through Fukushima’s ruined reactors to keep them cool.
    The company that owns the plant, TEPCO, has deployed a filtration device that has stripped very dangerous isotopes of strontium and cesium from the flow. The water in the tanks still contains tritium and isotope of hydrogen with two neutrons. Tritium is a major by-product of nuclear reactions and is difficult and expensive to remove from the water.

    Now, Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority has launched a campaign to convince a skeptical world that dumping up to 800,000 tonnes of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean and is a safe and responsible thing to do. ]


    As for the numbers, it takes X amount of mass A, to contaminate mass B, regardless of its state (gas, liquid, solid). Think parts per billion.
    Using your 8.3 weight, and your leak rate we get 26,385,120 gallons per year ×8.3 pounds =218,996,496 pounds per year, or

    3,012×24
    =72,288 gallons

    72,288×365
    =26,385,120 gallons

    26,385,120×8.3
    =218,996,496

    218,996,496÷2,000
    =109,498.248 tons per year.

    109,498.248×7
    =766,487.736 tons assuming a constant over the intervening years.
    I guess you never did a calculation of stream or river flows. There are surface streams and underground rivers. The millions upon millions of tons of water rained onto the land largely find their way to the seas.

    No matter how you cook the math, it doesn't add up to;
    What numbers? What in the devil do you think you are counting?

    From the second 'article' being responded to.

    Alternatively, it doesn't mean it's true either. Your working from confirmation bias.

    Get hostile all you wish, it will not make it true.
    Oh I do get hostile with ignorant people who insist they are speaking wise and knowledgeable things.
    Here are some facts for you. Just 6 months after the 3-11-11 event ALL the bluefin tuna which hatched in the west and traveled across the ocean toward the Americas were contaminated with Ce134. We had nuclear reactors melt down and are leaching into the ocean continuously through groundwater rivers. The contamination of the ocean has gotten worse because the flow has not stopped. Government agencies have pretended to ignore this hazard with no public warnings. Even the Jap govt denied its hazards.

    You might also try to remember there are natural radionuclides in the ocean just like any other part of the earth.
    https://inis.iaea.org/search/search...._q=RN:31034871

    Conflating natural background with Fukushima leaks is a mistake. Also ask yourself what constitutes 'contaminated' to begin with?
    These remarks are obfuscation of reality. Who do you work for?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1502/ML15021A530.pdf

    THE FACTS: BOTTOM LINE The available evidence continues to lead the NRC and other Federal, State and local governments to conclude the low levels of radiation leaking into the ocean from Fukushima Daiichi fall well short of posing any U.S. health or environmental risk.
    Available evidence? What determines "available evidence"?
    Did you read the article YOU referenced here? I will post a small section for you-
    In November 2014, WHOI scientists found trace amounts of Fukushima contamination about 100 miles (150 km) due west of Eureka, California [11]. The amount of radioactivity reported in this offshore data is 1,000 times lower than EPA drinking water standards. In December 2014, Canadian scientists published a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences [12] discussing Fukushima contamination. The paper concludes that radioactive Cesium from the Fukushima accident reached the continental shelf of Canada in June 2013, and by February 2014 had reached a level equal to that found by WHOI. Using the latest ocean circulation models, the Canadian paper estimates that future contamination levels could double in the 2015 to 2016

    The best "evidence" you can find is more than 3 years old?


    Here is a little excerpt from that link...
    The IAEA began working with Japanese labs in 2014 while acting in a support role to the Japanese government’s marine monitoring program.
    The best you can get from the Japanese government is worse than what you get from TEPCO. Maybe you like to smile. Then you will have no trouble with radiation.


    Then the reference study by IAEA
    https://www.iaea.org/sites/default/f...port270717.pdf

    Bottom line is the histrionics are not supported by hard data. There are reasons the areas that did show elevated levels have declined, and there is a reason the data shows the vast majority of the Pacific did not show levels above natural background. Two words: dilution and decay.

    People are free to think whatever they want, but the premise that the entirety of the Pacific Oceans was contaminated is 100% debunked by hard data. It's not my problem if any given person doesn't believe. It is what it is. Those making counter claims are long on opinion and short on fact, and as evidenced by the OP article have taken to outright forgery to support an already debunked claim.
    Who said that 100% of the Pacific was contaminated? Nice straw argument. You show fine skills as a government agent.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Apparently, it doesn't matter what the source of information is, if it doesn't confirm your bias, it must be untrue. Have fun with that.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Apparently, it doesn't matter what the source of information is, if it doesn't confirm your bias, it must be untrue. Have fun with that.
    Nice try. Show me an independent unbiased and qualified source. Testing needs to be done at many levels. There are rivers of flow within the ocean with various boundary layers of salinity and thermoclines which can carry varying levels of contamination. Waiting until you have cancer because of something you ate will not help.... in fact, people will almost never trace the cause of cancer back to this.

    Here is my bias: I like clean air & water. I like seafood. I won't touch anything from the Pacific Ocean now.... and that pisses me off. I have learned that the government is not in power to care for me. It takes my money at gunpoint, tells me lies, and is controlled by evil people doing evil things with the money it robbed from me.

  16. #16
    These remarks are obfuscation of reality. Who do you work for?
    So is all the hysteria over the radioactivity.

    If they have one gram of Tritium in 300 tons of pure water, they count it all as "radioactive waste".

    Accusing someone of "working for" anyone just because you can't accept reality is pretty lame, and is done all to often.

    If it were as bad as some love to imply, there would be no life in the ocean now, which is obviously not the case at all.

    Save the hysteria until there's a real problem to panic over.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    14,127
    Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    Show me an independent unbiased and qualified source.
    Does forum member shane's son count? As I recall, his son was on a boat in the Pacific in the months after Fukushima with one of shane's NukAlert-ER meters and he never found any unusual levels of radiation at any point in his trip. I think they even ate the fish they caught. shane's never posted anything about how his son grew a third eye in the middle of his forehead or anything that relates to radiation poisoning.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Does forum member shane's son count? As I recall, his son was on a boat in the Pacific in the months after Fukushima with one of shane's NukAlert-ER meters and he never found any unusual levels of radiation at any point in his trip. I think they even ate the fish they caught. shane's never posted anything about how his son grew a third eye in the middle of his forehead or anything that relates to radiation poisoning.
    I really don't know. I suppose it would depend on WHERE he was and WHEN. Now you tell me.... would the US Navy count?
    ==========================================
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/20...fukushima.html
    When the USS Ronald Reagan responded to the tsunami that struck Japan in March 2011, Navy sailors including Quartermaster Maurice Enis gladly pitched in with rescue efforts.

    But months later, while still serving aboard the aircraft carrier, he began to notice strange lumps all over his body. Testing revealed he'd been poisoned with radiation, and his illness would get worse. And his fiance and fellow Reagan quartermaster, Jamie Plym, who also spent several months helping near the Fukushima nuclear power plant, also began to develop frightening symptoms, including chronic bronchitis and hemorrhaging.

    They and 49 other U.S. Navy members who served aboard the Reagan and sister ship the USS Essex now trace illnesses including thyroid and testicular cancers, leukemia and brain tumors to the time spent aboard the massive ship, whose desalination system pulled in seawater that was used for drinking, cooking and bathing. In a lawsuit filed against Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the plaintiffs claim the power company delayed telling the U.S. Navy the tsunami had caused a nuclear meltdown, sending huge amounts of contaminated water into the sea and, ultimately, into the ship's water system.

    “At our level, we weren’t told anything,” Plym told FoxNews.com. “We were told everything was OK.”

    Now, Plym, Enis and dozens of others wonder if their service to their country and to Japan has left them doomed.

    “I get so angry," Plym said. "They said as long as the plume was avoided we would be fine. But we knew then that something was going to happen. Common sense tells you that the wind would blow it everywhere. You don’t need to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out.”

    San Francisco Attorney Charles Bonner,who is representing allegedly cancer-stricken sailors, initially filed a federal suit in the Southern District of California more than a year ago on behalf of a dozen sailors. The lawsuit was initially dismissed, when the court ruled that any ruling would hinge on interpreting communication between the Japanese and U.S. governments, which could violate the separation of powers. But Bonner is amending the suit to add new allegations that would fall under the court's jurisdiction. And the number of plaintives has more than quadrupled as more service members come forward with radiation-related illnesses, he said.

    “They went in to help with rescue efforts," said Bonner, who plans to refile the suit on Jan. 6. "They did not go in prepared to deal with radiation containment.”

    The plaintiffs don't blame the U.S. Navy, which they believe acted in good faith, Bonner said. It was the plant's operators who sat on the meltdown information during the crucial hours following the March 11, 2011 disaster, he said.

    “TEPCO pursued a policy which caused rescuers, including the plaintiffs, to rush into an unsafe area which was too close to the [Fukushima nuclear power plant] that had been damaged,” Bonner charged in an April filing now being updated to add more plaintiffs. “Relying upon the misrepresentation regarding health and safety made by TEPCO, upon information and belief, the U.S. Navy was lulled into a false sense of security.

    “The officers and crew of the U.S.S. Reagan (CVN-76) and other vessels believed that it was safe to operate within the waters adjacent to the FNPP, without doing the kinds of research and testing that would have verified the problems known to the defendant TEPCO at the time.”

    Nathan Piekutoski, 22, who served aboard the USS Essex, which was in the same deployment as the Reagan, said sailors had no choice but to trust what they were told.

    “They did say it was safe at the time,” Piekutoski said. “We had to take their word for it.”

    Piekutowski says he suffered from leukemia and, while he is currently in remission, Doctors have told him that he may need a bone marrow transplant.

    “Within a few months I started getting all these weird symptoms," he recalled of the months following the disaster response. "Night sweats. Not sleeping. I started losing a lot of weight.

    “It’s one of those things," he added. "You’re angry that it happens but we had to go. It was our duty. I joined the military to help people in need.”

    A spokesperson for the Department of Defense declined to comment on the pending lawsuit, but told FoxNews.com the Pentagon has been monitoring and collecting data on radiation exposure in the region.

    TEPCO officials did not respond to requests for comment. But a recent admission before members of the Japanese press on Dec. 12 during a meeting at the Tokyo Press Club, former Prime Minister Naoto Jan said the first meltdown occurred five hours after the tsunami, not the next day as reported at the time.

    Bonner alleges that the statement means that the Japanese government knew radiation was being leaked and did not inform the U.S. Navy.

    “They knew there was an active meltdown and they deliberately hid it from the public as well as the Navy,” Bonner said. “Those sailors went in there totally unaware and they were contaminated as a result.”

    Plym says she is prepared to have her symptoms question in court, should the case go to trial. But with so many U.S. sailors coming forward, she believes justice will prevail.

    “People will say that out lawsuit is fake and that we are doing this for money, but it’s really about getting the correct information out there,” Plym said.

    Perry Chiaramonte is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @perrych
    Published December 20, 2013
    ================================================== =============================
    and what kind of "nuke alert" did the carrier have? Nuthin? Hmmm... sounds like something does not make sense.

    We have 3 major nuclear reactors melt down and go into the ground through the containment vessel and people think this is not a serious contamination event?

  19. #19
    We have 3 major nuclear reactors melt down and go into the ground through the containment vessel and people think this is not a serious contamination event?
    No one said it's not "serious"
    It's just not nearly as bad as some like to imply.

    The example you gave above is about people who "spent several months near Fukushima".
    It's hardly proof the whole Pacific or "1/3 of the world's oceans" are contaminated at harmful levels.

    The truth is in the middle.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sandhills North Carolina
    Posts
    33,770
    http://m.phys.org/news/2018-03-citiz...fukushima.html

    'Citizen scientists' track radiation seven years after Fukushima

    March 11, 2018
    by Sara Hussein

    Japanese priest Sadamaru Okano is one of the 'citizen scientists' collecting radiation readings in the Fukushima region
    Japanese priest Sadamaru Okano is one of the 'citizen scientists' collecting radiation readings in the Fukushima region
    Beneath the elegant curves of the roof on the Seirinji Buddhist temple in Japan's Fukushima region hangs an unlikely adornment: a Geiger counter collecting real-time radiation readings.


    The machine is sending data to Safecast, an NGO born after the March 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster that says it has now built the world's largest radiation dataset, thanks to the efforts of citizen scientists like Seirinji's priest Sadamaru Okano.

    Like many Japanese, Okano lost faith in the government after the nuclear meltdown seven years ago.

    "The government didn't tell us the truth, they didn't tell us the true measures," he told AFP, seated inside the 150-year-old temple.

    Okano was in a better position than most to doubt the government line, having developed an amateur interest in nuclear technology two decades earlier after learning about the Chernobyl disaster.

    To the bemusement of friends and family, he started measuring local radiation levels in 2007, so when the disaster happened, he had baseline data.

    "The readings were so high... 50 times higher than natural radiation," he said of the post-disaster data.

    "I was amazed... the news was telling us there was nothing, the administration was telling us there was nothing to worry about."

    That dearth of trustworthy information was the genesis of Safecast, said co-founder Pieter Franken, who was in Tokyo with his family when the disaster hit.

    Franken and several friends had the idea of gathering data by attaching Geiger counters to cars and driving around.

    A geiger counter operated by the Safecast group is attached to a fence near the stricken Dai-ichi power plant
    A geiger counter operated by the Safecast group is attached to a fence near the stricken Dai-ichi power plant
    "Like how Google does Street View, we could do something for radiation in the same way," he said.

    "The only problem was that the system to do that didn't exist and the only way to solve that problem was to go and build it ourselves. So that's what we did."

    Making informed choices

    Within a week, the group had a prototype and began getting readings that suggested the 20 kilometre (12 mile) exclusion zone declared around the Fukushima plant had no basis in the data, Franken said.

    "Evacuees were sent from areas with lower radiation to areas with higher radiation" in some cases, he said.


    The zone was eventually redrawn, but for many local residents it was too late to restore trust in the government.

    Okano evacuated his mother, wife and son while he stayed with his flock.

    But a year later, based on his own readings and after decontamination efforts, he brought them back.

    He learned about Safecast's efforts and in 2013 installed one of their static counters on his temple, in part to help reassure worshippers.

    "I told them: we are measuring the radiation on a daily basis... so if you access the (Safecast) website you can choose (if you think) it's safe or not."

    Japanese teacher Norio Watanabe work with Safecast to teach his pupils how to measure radiation
    Japanese teacher Norio Watanabe work with Safecast to teach his pupils how to measure radiation
    Forty kilometres away, in the town of Koriyama, Norio Watanabe was supervising patiently as his giggling teenage pupils attempted to build basic versions of Safecast's Geiger counter.

    Dressed in blazers and tartan skirts, the girls pored over instructions on where to place diodes and wires.

    Watanabe has been a Safecast volunteer since 2011, and has a mobile Geiger counter in his car.

    In the days after the disaster evacuees flocked to Koriyama, which was outside the evacuation zone, and he assumed his town was safe.

    "But after I started to do the measurements, I realised there was a high level of risk here as well," he said.

    'You can't ignore it'

    He sent his children away, but stayed behind to look after his mother, a decision he believes may have contributed to his 2015 diagnosis with thyroid cancer.

    "As a scientist, I think the chance that it was caused by the Fukushima accident might be 50-50, but in my heart, I think it was likely the cause," he said.

    His thyroid was removed and he is now healthy, but Watanabe worries about his students, who he fears "will carry risk with them for the rest of their lives."

    "If there are no people like me who continue to monitor the levels, it will be forgotten."

    Schoolgirls check an app connected to a geiger counter to measure radiation in a classroom in Fukushima prefecture
    Schoolgirls check an app connected to a geiger counter to measure radiation in a classroom in Fukushima prefecture
    Safecast now has around 3,000 devices worldwide and data from 90 countries. Its counters come as a kit that volunteers can buy through third parties and assemble at home.

    Because volunteers choose where they want to measure at random and often overlap, "they validate unknowingly each other's measurements," said Franken, and anomalies or exceptions are checked by Safecast staff.

    The NGO is now expanding into measuring air pollution, initially mostly in the US city of Los Angeles during a test phase.

    Its radiation data is all open source, and has been used to study everything from the effects of fallout on wildlife to how people move around cities, said Franken.

    He says Safecast's data mostly corroborates official measurements, but provides readings that are more relevant to people's lives.

    "Our volunteers decide to measure where their schools are, where their workplaces are, where their houses are."

    And he believes Safecast has helped push Japan's government to realise that "transparency and being open are very important to create trust."

    "The power of citizen science means that you can't stop it and also that you can't ignore it."


    © 2018 AFP

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Asylum 23
    Posts
    8,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    No one said it's not "serious"
    It's just not nearly as bad as some like to imply.

    The example you gave above is about people who "spent several months near Fukushima".
    It's hardly proof the whole Pacific or "1/3 of the world's oceans" are contaminated at harmful levels.

    The truth is in the middle.
    I don't fall for that compromise crap you like to push. You repeated the straw argument Rayku pushed: the whole Pacific is contaminated. When you twist a story and point at that twist as your evidence for an argument, you are dishonest.

    The real story is that something serious has happened and you won't know until it is too late. People & animals getting cancer, having heart attacks or organ failures will not be linked to this. They will just suffer and die as everyone walks on.

    In the same way, the Pacific has been getting polluted by China & Korea with lead, cadmium, mercury, and tons of other industrial chemicals. It is in the water, the fish, the kelp. The concept of dilution makes it OK, is only good for short term exposure. These contaminants are not short term. They don't go away.

  22. #22
    I don't fall for that compromise crap you like to push. You repeated the straw argument Rayku pushed: the whole Pacific is contaminated
    I don't fall for your hysteria.
    I guess we cancel each other out.

    Who said that 100% of the Pacific was contaminated?
    See Post # 6
    FUKUSHIMA RADIATION HAS CONTAMINATED THE ENTIRE PACIFIC OCEAN – AND IT’S GOING TO GET WORSE
    Those comments came from other posts first.
    One claimed "1/3 of the world's oceans contaminated".
    That would be about right for the whole Pacific.

    Others claimed the radiation had spread all the way to California.
    That pretty much implies the rest of the water in between must also be contaminated.


    When you twist a story and point at that twist as your evidence for an argument, you are dishonest.
    That's pretty much what I said.
    Much of the reporting about Fukushima is twisted facts and dishonesty.

    The real story is that something serious has happened and you won't know until it is too late.

    People & animals getting cancer, having heart attacks or organ failures will not be linked to this. They will just suffer and die as everyone walks on.
    So it will be the same as it ever was.
    People have always died from those things.

    We've only had nuclear power for a few generations.
    We know about it.

    What do you propose to do about it?

    In the same way, the Pacific has been getting polluted by China & Korea with lead, cadmium, mercury, and tons of other industrial chemicals.

    It is in the water, the fish, the kelp.

    The concept of dilution makes it OK, is only good for short term exposure. These contaminants are not short term. They don't go away.
    So are you saying it's "in the whole ocean"?
    I thought that was a "straw man".

    Those are all natural elements.

    They have been around forever and will be here when we are all gone.

    I bet all those things are inside the computer you're using right now to complain about them.

    Again, what do you propose to do about it?
    Last edited by Snyper; 04-18-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Typo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.