Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Elderly in U.S. Are Projected to Outnumber Children for First Time
+ Reply to Thread

Elderly in U.S. Are Projected to Outnumber Children for First Time

Another marker of doom. Elderly will soon outnumber the young.
    Fewer babies being born. More elderly.
    That Social Security, that retirement, don't count on it, if there is nobody working to pay for it.

Also, by 2040, the rate of immigration will be twice the rate of births , adding to the population.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elderly...ime-1520967362
    a
    Elderly in U.S. Are Projected to Outnumber Children for First Time

Census Bureau predicts milestone will be hit within 17 years
    The nation’s aging has accelerated as baby boomers move into their senior years.

PHOTO: MATT ROURKE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
    By Paul Overberg and Janet Adamy
    Updated March 13, 2018 9:13 p.m. ET

People over 65 years old would outnumber children by 2035, a first in U.S. history, according to updated projections released by the Census Bureau on Tuesday.

The milestone would be the latest marker of the nation’s aging, which has accelerated with baby boomers’ move into their senior years and recessionary effects on births and immigration over the past decade.

The shift deepens challenges for fiscal policy and economic growth.

Trends in birth and immigration have also slowed the rate at which the country is becoming more diverse. Whites who aren’t Hispanic will begin shrinking as a group by 2024. They would drop below half of the population by 2045, two years later than the bureau estimated just a few years ago.

By 2020, less than half of those under 18 years old would be non-Hispanic white.

Falling Potential
    The U.S. Census revised down its estimatesfor population growth through 2060
    Source: U.S. Census Bureau

The Census Bureau projects the country would grow to 355 million by 2030, five million fewer than it had estimated three years ago. That is an annual average growth rate of just 0.7%, in line with recent rates but well below historical levels.

Unlike many European nations, the U.S. would continue to grow, reaching 404 million by 2060. It would rival fast-growing Nigeria as third-most-populous, after India and China, according to census and United Nations projections.

“This is a country that should be grateful for all the immigration it’s had over the last 25 years,” said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution. “These projections put even more of an exclamation point on it.”

Lower population growth could drag on economic growth. This year’s prime-age workforce—ages 25 to 54—is about 630,000 smaller than the Census Bureau projected it would be just three years ago. The bureau projects the prime-age workforce will grow 0.5% a year through 2030, down from a 2014 projected annual rate of 0.58% for the same period.

The growing elderly population will also put pressure on lawmakers to shift funding toward programs such as Medicare and Social Security, particularly because elderly Americans vote at high rates, said Kenneth M. Johnson, a demographer at the University of New Hampshire.

“The share of population that’s the working share is going to matter a lot,” said Steven Lugauer, assistant professor in the department of economics at the University of Kentucky. “If it’s going to be even fewer workers than previously thought, it’s going to weigh on growth even further.” However, advances in automation that allow robots to replace workers could help offset that, he said.

The projections are the first since 2015. They include revisions to birth and death and immigration rates, the key drivers of population growth.

In 2015, the latest year for which final data is available, the U.S. birthrate matched the low set in 2013: 62.5 births per 1,000 women ages 15 to 44. Preliminary data show the rate dropping to 62 in 2016, and to 60.6 in the year that ended in September.

The projections assume no major changes in immigration policies.

As the nation ages and birthrates remain historically low, immigration looms larger in shaping the future. The bureau projects that by 2030, net immigration would rival natural increase—the surplus of births over deaths—as a share of population growth. By 2040, immigration would be more than twice as large as the natural increase.

As a result, the share of Americans who are foreign-born, now about 13%, is expected to reach a record 14.9% by 2028, topping a mark set in 1890. That share would rise to 17.2% by 2060.

Write to Paul Overberg at paul.overberg@wsj.com and Janet Adamy at janet.adamy@wsj.com

Corrections & Amplifications
    The share of Americans who are foreign-born is expected to reach a record by 2028, topping a mark set in 1890. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said that mark was set in 1850. (March 13, 2018)
    "When you're dead, you don't even know you're dead.
    It's difficult only for others.
    It's the same when you're stupid."

White kids became a minority in US schools in 2014 ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Another marker of doom. Elderly will soon outnumber the young.
    Fewer babies being born. More elderly.
    Not only that, but the Millennial population is the LARGEST age group in the country right now (offspring of the boomers), but many aren't having kids, so it should be the first generation where their offspring generation will be smaller then their generation.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    Not only that, but the Millennial population is the LARGEST age group in the country right now (offspring of the boomers), but many aren't having kids, so it should be the first generation where their offspring generation will be smaller then their generation.
    I know!

And that's who's going to be taking care of us when we get old.

Snowflakes who scream at the sky. *sigh* V

Quote Originally Posted by vessie View Post
    I know!

And that's who's going to be taking care of us when we get old.

Snowflakes who scream at the sky. *sigh* V
    You really think they will take care of you? Most likely you will be farmed out to some home with substandard care while they take what you have built up over the years. I see these children leaching off their parents all day long. I really feel for those who buck the trend and work hard as the wheel is rolling towards the demonizing these hard working children in later years and it will result in a lot of hardship.

Also, expect the longer trend of 8% market returns to level off and begin to drop to negative numbers in later years. As the large majority of the stock holders are older than the average. As they age, they will cash out the stocks, but very little will be added by the younger generation. Too few investors as they are much better spenders. Granted government purchasing of stocks will / can make this go away for a little while, but no forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Also, expect the longer trend of 8% market returns to level off and begin to drop to negative numbers in later years. As the large majority of the stock holders are older than the average. As they age, they will cash out the stocks, but very little will be added by the younger generation. Too few investors as they are much better spenders. Granted government purchasing of stocks will / can make this go away for a little while, but no forever.
    Don't oversimplify. It's not just that they enjoy spending, but many have to. Prices at the grocery store haven't gone down even on simple foods. And even if they did invest, what would they invest in, the obviously-rigged stock market? Perhaps the oh-so-seizable IRA, which could be government property with the next Democrat president?

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    You really think they will take care of you? Most likely you will be farmed out to some home with substandard care while they take what you have built up over the years. I see these children leaching off their parents all day long. I really feel for those who buck the trend and work hard as the wheel is rolling towards the demonizing these hard working children in later years and it will result in a lot of hardship.

I was being facetious.

I have seen first hand how the younger generation are fleecing the older people out of their homes, money etc. Literally stealing them blind and sending them on to the streets.

I have a cousin who's wife and my other cousin, his brother, who are so covetous of their mother's things that I had to openly call them out on it so everyone would know that they have been caught and put on notice.

The cousin's skank wife was trying to 'work' me for incredible family heirlooms that she would want for their two daughters.

Ain't gonna happen, it's all going to my little sister's two children. V

The birth rate will continue to collapse until the vaccine "russian roulette" is removed from the hospitals where the little ones are born.

Mercury is unique to America's vaccines, and has been removed around the world. The big pharma bros have a special hatred of us.

Did you know that the non-mercury vaccines are made here and then shipped off to Canada, etc., yet we can't find them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    I was born in 1947 and I knew many in my peer group back in the day that were opting out of bringing children into this world even as it was back then.. I didn't plan on having children myself but changed my mind when I was turning 30, I heard my biological clock screaming. I had three boys, one had two or more, the next one had two and the last one has three. Mostly just replacing ourselves. My DH had four. They have barely replaced themselves. We are all WASPS so to speak, with a little native American mixed in. I have no problem with mixing in with other cultures though. My brother's only child prefers blacks and his step grand daughter prefers hispanics, the world has changed.

Judy

We have been so effective with medicine in modern society with extending life spans since the mid 20th century that for the past 68 years since then........there have been more people alive over the age of 50 yrs old than all the humans that have ever lived on this planet prior to 1950.........

Its mind blowing to think if a person was born in 1930 average life expectancy was 52 yrs old..........

Most people died due to problems with lack of dental hygene of the teeth (which impact the heart) back then and especially in the centuries before...

When Social Security was established it was set an age of 64 since it was considered an age that few people lived to and those that did where physically unable to function/work properly and needed a safety net.....................that is the problem with the program today before most people make it into their 60s and can still function......

If SS was developed today with the same concept of how it was initially designed you would not be eligible for it until you were in your 80s............

We never changed the qualifying age for it when established in the 1930's to match our ever increasing life span and quality of life abilities over the decades........

Abortion has killed how many? We have done this to ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by almost ready View Post
    The birth rate will continue to collapse until the vaccine "russian roulette" is removed from the hospitals where the little ones are born.

Mercury is unique to America's vaccines, and has been removed around the world. The big pharma bros have a special hatred of us.

Did you know that the non-mercury vaccines are made here and then shipped off to Canada, etc., yet we can't find them here.
    Two researchers found glysophate in some of the vaccines http://www.tonu.org/2016/08/31/vaccine-glyphosate-link/

Glysophate is know to cause infertility, not in the first generation that its injected in, or the offspring, but the third generation. https://www.google.com/search?client...2%2BA1r2o4E%3D

We also have to realise since before the baby boomers, several generations have quit wanting to have children. Birth control and abortion. People like their things more than being fruitful and multiplying. Patrick Buchanan wrote ‘Death of the West’ almost 20 years ago. The birth rates were dismal at that point. Most of Europe then had more deaths than births. Islam saw this and knew they will eventually outnumber us because of this. God allows it. It’s as if He has just allowed technology to give us what we desire, less children.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

Quote Originally Posted by almost ready View Post

Did you know that the non-mercury vaccines are made here and then shipped off to Canada, etc., yet we can't find them here

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    We have been so effective with medicine in modern society with extending life spans since the mid 20th century that for the past 68 years since then........there have been more people alive over the age of 50 yrs old than all the humans that have ever lived on this planet prior to 1950.........

Its mind blowing to think if a person was born in 1930 average life expectancy was 52 yrs old..........

Most people died due to problems with lack of dental hygene of the teeth (which impact the heart) back then and especially in the centuries before...

When Social Security was established it was set an age of 64 since it was considered an age that few people lived to and those that did where physically unable to function/work properly and needed a safety net.....................that is the problem with the program today before most people make it into their 60s and can still function......

If SS was developed today with the same concept of how it was initially designed you would not be eligible for it until you were in your 80s............

We never changed the qualifying age for it when established in the 1930's to match our ever increasing life span and quality of life abilities over the decades........
    It was around 61 or so ---

https://www.infoplease.com/life-expe...-sex-1930-2010

Anybody remember the movie “Soylent Green”? We may be headed toward a fate like Edward G Robinson endured in view of the decay of values the world’s path has taken.

Think about it!