Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615

SCI Oldest Known Message In A Bottle Discovered In Australia
+ Reply to Thread
    Happy on the mountain

Oldest Known Message In A Bottle Discovered In Australia experiment in Dutch gin bottle

Between 1864 until 1933, thousands of bottles were thrown overboard from German ships, each containing a form on which the captain would write the date, the ship's coordinates and details about its route.

It was part of an experiment by the German Naval Observatory to better understand global ocean currents.

Photo: An artist's drawing of the German sailing barque Paula in 1880. (Supplied: Edouard Adam/WA Museum)

On the back, the messages asked the finder to write when and where the bottle had been found and return it, either to the German Naval Observatory in Hamburg or the nearest German Consulate.

The Illmans took their find to the Western Australian Museum, where assistant curator of maritime archaeology Ross Anderson conducted a series of investigations.

He determined it was a mid-to-late 19th-century Dutch gin bottle, and the form inside was written on cheaply-made 19th-century paper.

But more needed to be done to shore up the bottle's authenticity, and he contacted colleagues in the Netherlands and Germany for help.

Captain's journal confirms 'extraordinary find'
    The colleagues compared handwriting samples from the form and the captain's entries in Paula's meteorological journal.
    "Extraordinary finds need extraordinary evidence to support them," Dr Anderson said.

"Incredibly, there was an entry for June 12, 1886, made by the captain, recording a drift bottle having been thrown overboard.
    "The date and the coordinates correspond exactly with those on the bottle message.

"The handwriting is identical in terms of cursive style, slant, font, spacing, stroke emphasis, capitalisation and numbering style."

Photo: Kym and Tonya Illman with Ross Anderson (centre) from the WA Museum, where the bottle and message are on display. (Supplied: Kym Illman)

Discovered 132 years after it was tossed overboard, it is the oldest-known message in a bottle in the world.

The second oldest was just over 108 years old.

Kym and Tonya Illman have loaned their find to the WA Museum to display for the next two years.

Topics: human-interest, history, history-education, oceans-and-reefs, perth-6000, lancelin-6044, cervantes-6511, germany, wa
    First posted Mon at 11:00pm
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Too bad if it was from someone stranded on a desert island wanting help. No wonder people pay extra for airfreight...

Years ago....

I saw a guy release a large helium balloon with the message:

"I know the truth about Magic Johnson."

A phone number was attached and.... evidently.... never called.

I launched a hot air balloon with my name and number and a promise to pay a reward in about '64. I tracked it while it went up several thousand feet into the airport approach space. A kid called me about three hours later after it landed maybe 15 miles away. We went and fetched it, and gave him some bucks. Didn't set any records for longevity, but it didn't get me arrested and it was a hoot.

L.os A.ngeles B.asin
    It was 1977 and I was body surfing at Abalone Cove, a couple miles and 29 years prior to Trump's golf course in The Coastal Los Angeles area. As I bobbed up and down with the surf surge, I noticed a glass bottle floating a few yards away. I retrieved it and brought it back to shore.

The letter inside was from a young lady who was bored on her parents boat trip at Catalina Island (about 25 miles across the bay), as she was looking for correspondence when found. I was a late teen with a girlfriend very inquisitive as to my intentions. It would have been fun to have met someone that way, but I passed on the idea because I was very loyal and considerate of my girls peace of mind in our relationship.

There is something special about the random chance of finding a message in a bottle. It's been two score of years since that wonderment sparked my imagination. Just recalling that day as one short line on a page in the chapter of one's life is a joy to hold for the moment.

The intrigue of the message in a bottle. What is it that makes it so special?

My beloved SW Missouri
    L.A.B., it's the thrill of, "What if?" It never gets old...

"Make haste- slowly." -Marshall Wyatt Earp============ "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." -Kyle Swanson, US Navy SEAL

Eternity is Hell, Without Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior...

Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS!

WI - On the scene, like a sex machine.
    Discovered 132 years after it was tossed overboard, it is the oldest-known message in a bottle in the world.
    DHL is now seriously considering this method to improve deliveries to KFC UK . . . .
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I'm not trying to imply that everything need be rendered down to nothing more than it's monetary value; but, just out of curiosity . . . I wonder what the monetary value is of such a find? LOL

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

when I was working a field I found a balloon with a message attached, it was about 200 miles away launched by a assisted living/nursing home on the front range of colorado,

I wrote them and sent the letter as if my tractor was writing it, sent a few pictures of the farm and they posted them on there bulletin board for the residents to look at, we corresponde a few times after that,
    have found many a party/festable balloon blowing across the fields, you know the ones parents by for there small kids only to see them fly away with in 15 seconds of them handing the kid the ballon,

Handyman, What a wonderful thing to do for the nursing home people. My dad was in one for 6 years until he died last year. I'm sure you made people's lives much more interesting there by doing that.