Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Side effects of novocaine? More severe with age?
+ Reply to Thread

Side effects of novocaine? More severe with age?

Had a filling done today (eye tooth) and it wasn't a big deal, but six hours later, the effects (numbness) are just now wearing off. It's my regular dentist and he's a great guy, but I wonder if he used a little too much Novocaine.

I seem to have a headache and severe fatigue. I haven't had a filling in three years. Is this just age creeping up on me?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going back to bed!

I've found that by tapping my face (where the numbness is) with my hand for just a little while helps the numbness go away. It seems to decipate. Good luck

Just had a root canal done and a temp crown put on and have had lots of shots recently........I'm 64 yrs old.....

First the drug we called Novocaine is no longer used for that........a different drug is used that is more effective.

I had a ton of shots and the whole side of my face was numb for all the way up to my eye on the side of my face I had the root canal and it took about 4 hours or so but it wore off with no problems at all.

Didn't leave me tired and was better than novocaine used in the past.

My crown work has similar shots and wore off in a couple of hours.........no problem other than while it was numb I looked like I had a case of Bell's palsy with my lips.....hehe......

I'll bet the stress that comes from going through dental work for some people is what drains them hence end up feeling tired after that........

Age makes it harder to deal with any stress, drugs or whatever trama is introduced to the body but dental work these days is not one to worry about as a result of age.......

Thanks for the reply. I get pretty stressed about going to the dentist, and I had two visits in two days.

I'm wiped out.

Try warm packs (NOT HOT) over the cheek area just to the side of your nose and under your eye. There's a big nerve bundle that comes through a small hole in your cheek bone there. Your Dentist probably targeted that with some of the numbing agent with something to prolong it's effects so it wouldn't wear off in the middle of the procedure. Never a good thing.

I personally hate shots there because it also numbs my nose as well and seems to take forever to wear off. Which is basically a good thing. The more vascular an area (the more blood flowing through that tissue) the faster the anesthesia wears off. FWIW.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

I often get a post novacaine headache and tiredness. I've had a lot of dental work done in the last few years so the tiredness could just be from the stress. Wouldn't want that stuff done without the novacaine though so I'll take the post-headache.
    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."

If I remember correctly, it is the Lidocaine that is added to make the numbness last longer. I am very sensitive to Lidocaine so I ask my dentist not to add it. He obliges, but that means if it's a long procedure, he probably will need to give me additional shots as the block wears off. You may be sensitive to the Lidocaine.
    "I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Actually, I think it's epinephrine that enables the numbing agent to last longer. I do not react well to epinephrine, so the dentist doesn't use it on me.

I'm better today, but yesterday was ROUGH!! I do think I have some reaction to the stuff. I slept most of the day yesterday.

They really want to make sure that it is numbed well for some spots. I remember getting three separate pokes before one cavity, way in the back, and I was actually glad that I didn't feel a thing.

Years ago, I went through a period of, "I don't need Novocain for this," after a friend told me that she would go to the dentist and get fillings done without it. Did that twice. Yeah. It is not being a pansy getting numbed beforehand, I decided.

Yes, maybe too much was used. Hang in there! Maybe you were in need of sleeping off some stress that was stored up, too? I know I am prone to that: sleeping very little when stressed, and then after everything works out, able to sleep, and sleep a lot! (then the cycle continues...sigh)
    Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell

I had a friend who never used Novocane specifically because of the long-lasting numbness. So, last time I had a cavity filled I tried it without. It was incredibly quick and easy. By the time the Novocane would normally just be kicking in, I was done. The drilling was really no more noticeable than with the drug. Now, I wouldn't have a root canal done that way, but this was a piece of cake. The dentist called it a "drive by filling".

Whenever I had dental work done, they would have to give me at least 3 shots as it didn't numb enough......

And when I had a molar taken out which had crumbled into pieces and needed a surgeon (he was a friend from down the street and had worked as a US Army dental surgeon), he gave me a cocktail of different anaesthetics so I wouldn't have side effects. When I got home and watched "Jeopardy" I was able to answer every question - I felt so alive and smart and relaxed, but it didn't last.

But the being able to answer the questions was very interesting to us - too bad we couldn't find out which element of that cocktail worked.

I seem to over react to any kind of meds - get nightmares and sweats from simple mild painkillers, so I don't take anything.....maybe that is why I don't "freeze" well.....I also gag horribly when my tongue is touched and I need x-rays.....ecccchhhhh....
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post
    Actually, I think it's epinephrine that enables the numbing agent to last longer. I do not react well to epinephrine, so the dentist doesn't use it on me.

I'm better today, but yesterday was ROUGH!! I do think I have some reaction to the stuff. I slept most of the day yesterday.
    Yes!! It's the Epi. Thank you.
    "I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

After years of excruciating pain from dental work, my endodontist, (root canal dentist), discovered that I needed twice as many shots as a normal person to numb my mouth. Now I have the greatest dentist who gives me gas, (I have to pay an extra $20), plus the shots for any work she does. It does take a while for it to wear off but in my world it's more than worth it. Years ago I had a dentist who hit a nerve when he injected the shot. Talk about flying out of the chair!
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I hate the itching that I get as the numbness starts to DISSIPATE (heh). Scratching it doesn't do a thing. It drives me batty.