Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

TIP Spring Forward: Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday at 2 a.m.
+ Reply to Thread

Spring Forward: Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday at 2 a.m.

Ready or not, daylight saving time starts at 2 a.m. Sunday, March 11.

Benjamin Franklin first thought up the idea of daylight saving in 1784. It wasn’t instituted until World War I, when it went into effect to save energy used for lights.

The Standard Time Act established time zones and daylight saving in 1918, but it was short-lived. Daylight saving was repealed the following year.

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 established Daylight Saving Time throughout the United States and gave states the option to exempt themselves. Hawaii and most of Arizona do not follow Daylight Saving Time. Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and American Samoa also skip out on the clock-changing fun.

In 1974 and 1975, Congress extended daylight saving to save energy during the energy crisis.

In 2007, Daylight Saving got a few weeks longer, running from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

About 70 countries around the world observe daylight saving, but many countries near the equator do not.

It’s not universally popular, though. Farmers note that their livestock don’t live by a clock, and complain that they have to adjust their working hours to deal with the animals. Also, any parent will tell you — babies don’t quite get it either.

From energy use to our very health, here’s a look at some of the mythology and facts surrounding DST.

MYTH: It saves energy

One of the most commonly offered rationales for daylight saving time (yes, it’s “saving,” not “savings”) is the presumption that by extending summer daylight later into the evening, Americans would use less energy.

It was the reason Congress used in enacting daylight saving time during World War I and again after the United States joined WWII, according to author David Prerau.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to hold true.

A 2008 U.S. Department of Energy study reported that daylight saving time reduces annual energy use by about 0.03%. And a study that same year from the University of California-Santa Barbara found it might even increase energy consumption.

After Indiana adopted daylight saving time statewide in 2006, researchers examined power usage statistics and found that electricity consumption there rose 1% overall, with a 2% to 4% increase in the fall months.

The additional power usage cost Indiana power users $9 million a year and increased pollution, to boot, the researchers found.

TRUTH: You really DO feel cruddy for a few days after

A 2012 British study found kids got more exercise during the longer summer day. That’s good. Then again, researchers at the University of Alabama Birmingham reported in 2012 that the spring adjustment led to a 10% increase in heart attack risk.

On the other hand, that same study found the risk fell about as much in the fall, when clocks were turned back.

The clock changes can also raise the risk of accidents by sleep-deprived motorists. The New England Journal of Medicine published a study in 1996 reporting an 8% increase in traffic accidents on the Monday following the spring shift.

The good news is that the extra sleep makes streets about 8% safer on the day after the fall change, according to that study.

TRUTH: You’re less likely to get robbed during DST

“When DST begins in the spring, robbery rates for the entire day fall an average of 7 percent, with a much larger 27 percent drop during the evening hour that gained some extra sunlight,” the Brookings Institution reported in 2015, citing research from the think tank’s then-upcoming paper in the The Review of Economics and Statistics.

MYTH: Farmers loved it

The idea that daylight saving time was created to help farmers get their harvests in is so ingrained into the national consciousness, it’s hard to believe it’s not true.

But it’s not, according to Prerau, whose 2009 book “Seize the Daylight” traces the history of the time shift.

Farmers, in fact, vociferously fought the proposals, arguing they cut productivity and made life overall tougher for them.

“If you want to cut off 25 per cent of the productiveness of the American farmer, just keep this law on the books,” Prerau quotes one agricultural lobby as arguing during an effort to repeal daylight saving time in 1919.

TRUTH: Fewer and fewer of us think it’s worth the trouble

A 2014 Rasmussen poll found that a declining percentage of adults in the United States — 33% — think daylight saving time is “worth the hassle.” That’s down from 37% in 2013 and 45% the year before.

Efforts to kill off daylight saving time are nearly as old as the time shift itself, and even today, some are trying to get it repealed.

More than 63,000 people have signed a petition sponsored by the DST-hating website standardtime.com. A search on Change.org returns 1,466 petitions mentioning daylight saving time, most of which appear to support abolishing it.

Others like it so much they want it to be kept year round (standard time, by the way, is standard in name only … We go seven months of the year now with the extra hour tacked on at the end of the day).

Brookings, for instance, seems to be on board with the year-round DST approach, saying the costs and dangers are associated less with the shift forward than the constant back and forth.

“We could easily avoid them by moving to year-round DST — that is, permanently shifting that hour of daylight to the evening, and then leaving our clocks alone,” Jennifer L. Doleac and Nicholas J. Sanders wrote in the Brookings piece. “Our research suggests that we’d be safer for it.”

http://wtkr.com/2018/03/08/spring-fo...ay-at-2-a-m-2/

Thank you for the reminder.

YW. 1 week and 5 days until Spring.

We survived another Winter

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post
    YW. 1 week and 5 days until Spring.

We survived another Winter
    Amen!

I am -so- done with winter in my advancing age.

Personally I've always found the notion of "Daylight Savings Time" to be a rather presumptuous and preposterous attempt at human manipulation and perception of celestial mechanisms that humans have no real ability to intervene upon.

The sun rises in the East and the sun sets in the West. Any other consideration is actually kind of goofy?

To me DST is just a lame political response to the never ending urge of politicians, pseudo scientists and random pond scum exploitive intellectuals to somehow convince the unwashed masses that the elite are somehow "in charge" of our daily lives.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To me DST is just a lame political response to the never ending urge of politicians, pseudo scientists and random pond scum exploitive intellectuals to somehow convince the unwashed masses that the elite are somehow "in charge" of our daily lives.

Lets not ignore that extra hour of partying one Saturday evening in November

Watch out for the whacko's out there, some have issues where the change in daylight timing sets them off. Stay armed for the next week or two if you don't already.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

I'm sure you all remember this one. Like changing the "time" will make a day longer or shorter.
    When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

I hate it
    I hate it
    I hate it

Did I mention I hate it

Yeah...I wish Congress would put an end to this time change madness.
    Just LEAVE it on DST.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Yeah...I wish Congress would put an end to this time change madness.
    Just LEAVE it on DST.
    Amen!

The *only* benefit I can think of to having bred our milk cow later this year (she and the rest of the beef cattle are all due the first 3 weeks of April) is we don't have to convince her that we're milk8ng at the "right" time when her entire body says we're not! I'm adding this to the list of things I *dont* miss about no longer milking our dairy cows, too!

Summerthyme

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!! I'm NOT doing it! There, I feel better.
    Once you master people by force you depend on force for control.

Better to be an hour early than one minute late.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" Adolph Hitler

What makes it realky interesting around here is that the Amish...95% of our neighbors and social circle... DON'T change tgeir clocks.

So, for the next 7 months, every time we make an appointment or arrangement with any of them, we have to double check, "is that 'fast time' or regular time?"

Arrrrggghhhhh!

Summerthyme

I always heard it was so golfers could play longer after work>>>>>most elites are golfers.
    There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."Theodore Roosevelt-1907.

Noooo! Just leave the clocks alone!

I don't care whether we stay with 'Standard' time or 'Daylight Saving' time, I just wish we could stick with one or the other and not be changing our clocks twice a year!

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

I saw a headline earlier about Florida working to get away from DST.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    What makes it realky interesting around here is that the Amish...95% of our neighbors and social circle... DON'T change tgeir clocks.

So, for the next 7 months, every time we make an appointment or arrangement with any of them, we have to double check, "is that 'fast time' or regular time?"

Arrrrggghhhhh!

Summerthyme
    Well God Bless the Amish who refuse to bow to something the "government" puts in place - they are rational and sane people. They refuse to be so stupidly jerked around.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

Increased Heart attacks
    Miscarriages
    Accidents

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/...ng-health.html

Your Health and Daylight Saving Time

Daylight Saving Time (DST) messes with our body clock. According to studies, the 1-hour time change can trigger underlying health issues.

Tired drivers can cause accidents.

Tired drivers can cause an increase in traffic accidents in the days following a DST switch.

Changing the clocks does not create extra daylight, but it shifts the time the Sun rises and sets. This can cause disruptions to our body clock, otherwise known as the circadian rhythm.

The pros and cons of DST
    Lack of Sleep
    Setting your clock forward 1 hour for DST in spring might mean losing an hour of sleep on the morning after the change. For some people, this may just be a minor annoyance. However, the lack of sleep can have unfortunate effects in those predisposed.

A Swedish study found that the risk of having a heart attack increases in the first 3 weekdays after switching to DST in the spring.
    Tiredness induced by the clock change is thought to be the main cause for the increase in traffic accidents on the Monday following the start of DST.
    On Mondays after the start of DST there were more workplace injuries, and the injuries were of greater severity compared with other Mondays.
    The start of DST has also been linked to miscarriages for in vitro fertilization patients

Depression Trigger
    Losing 1 hour of afternoon daylight after setting the clocks back to standard time can trigger mental illness, including bipolar disorder, and seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression.

A Danish study found an 11% increase in depression cases after the time seasonal change. The cases dissipated gradually after 10 weeks.
    An Australian study found that male suicide rates increased the days after the spring and fall DST shift.
    Transitional Feelings
    Even though disrupting the circadian rhythm can have some serious effects, most studies find that they pass during the days following a DST change.

Facebook found that, following a DST switch, more people were saying they were “tired” than on a normal Monday. However, many Facebook users also reported that they were feeling “happy” and “wonderful”—perhaps an effect of the longer evenings.

More Sleep = Better Health
    Just like losing 1 hour of sleep in spring can have a negative effect, gaining 1 hour of sleep can do the opposite:

On the Monday after the DST transition in the fall heart attack rates decrease.
    At the same time, the number of car accidents in Canada decreased slightly.
    Transition Tips
    Being tired can decrease productivity, concentration, and general well-being. There are some simple ways of making it easier to handle the clock change:

Set your alarm to wake up a little earlier than usual on the Friday and Saturday before the DST switch. This makes it easier to get out of bed on Monday morning.
    Eat a healthy breakfast first thing. Food tells your body it is the start of the day.
    Go for a walk. Light, and especially sunlight, helps to adjust your body clock.
    Help your child adjust by putting him or her to bed a little bit earlier the week before the time change.

DST starts
    Mar 11, 2018
    -1 hour
    DST ends
    Nov 4, 2018

Let's band together and get this time-change stuff stopped.

One time, all year long. If you want it to be DST, fine. I don't care, but pick one time, and that's it.

It is getting harder and harder to get my body to re-adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    Set your alarm to wake up a little earlier than usual on the Friday and Saturday before the DST switch. This makes it easier to get out of bed on Monday morning.
    It takes me a whole dang week to adjust! I'm sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I saw a headline earlier about Florida working to get away from DST.
    Close, but actually the opposite . They want to stay on DST all year long. It's already passed in the state legislature, waiting for the governor's signature. But they still need Congressional approval before it can go into effect.

http://weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpos...-does-it-mean/
    (fair use applies)

Florida passes daylight saving time bill, but what does it mean?
    Kimberly Miller
    March 8, 2018

Florida lawmakers are the first in the nation to pass a bill signaling the intent to stay on daylight saving time year-round if allowed by Congress, according to enthusiasts who track America’s annual rituals of springing forward and falling back.

But whether the overwhelmingly popular legislation approved in Tallahassee was a maverick move to ignite a rebellion, or frivolous pandering to voters losing an hour of sleep this weekend is up for debate.

What is clear, is nothing will change in the short term. Most Americans will move their clocks forward one hour at 2 a.m. Sunday — stealing from the morning to extend sunlit evenings.

Come the first Sunday in November, they’ll turn their clocks back an hour, settling into the standard time of winter months.

The only power states have now is to opt out of daylight saving time, putting them on standard time permanently, such as what is practiced by Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

But while some states have tinkered with resolutions and proclamations denouncing the forced time manipulations, Florida may actually start a movement, said Scott Yates, an entrepreneur who runs a blog dedicated to preserving daylight saving time year round.

“I know it’s not very satisfying to say a bill passed but nothing is going to happen tomorrow,” Yates said. “Change is hard and this is complicated. It took us 100 years to get here, it’s not going to get fixed overnight.”

It is unlikely Congress would take up any proposal to allow Florida alone to make daylight saving time permanent, Yates said. But if enough states pass legislation similar to Florida’s, it may gain momentum.

“If that happens it would be a no-brainer to say this is what the states are asking for so let’s give them the option,” Yates said.

The bill that is headed to Gov. Rick Scott, which he can sign, allow to become law without his signature, or veto, is called the Sunshine State Protection Act. It says if Congress amends U.S. code to allow states to observe year-round daylight saving time it is the “intent of the legislature that daylight saving time shall be the year-round standard time of the entire state.”

Similar variations were filed during previous legislative sessions, but went no where.

The bill passed unanimously through three Senate committees and in a 33-2 vote in the full Senate on Tuesday. It passed 103-11 in the House. Two Palm Beach County lawmakers voted against it — Rep. Rick Roth, R-Loxahatchee, and Sen. Bobby Powell, D-West Palm Beach. Neither returned phone calls or emails for comment.

Michael Downing, author of the 2006 book “Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time,” said time zone complications are often overlooked when daylight saving time changes are proposed.

Keeping Florida on daylight saving time permanently would put it in sync with Nova Scotia on Atlantic Standard Time instead of New York.

“I think it’s a question of whether the federal government will approve having essentially a 5th continental time zone,” Downing said. “Most of the semi-serious proposals at the federal level have been to collapse time zones to three so there is less confusion.”

Downing also notes that tourism officials may not be so keen on sunrises that don’t happen until 8 a.m. or later in winter if daylight saving time was permanent.

Glenn Jergensen, executive director of Palm Beach County’s Tourist Development Council, said the ramifications of the potential change haven’t been considered yet by the council.

“Personally, I hope we do get it year round. I kind of like having the longer days,” he said.

The first nationwide daylight saving time law was passed in 1918 as an energy-saving measure during World War I. But it was also supported by Boston-area department store owner Lincoln Filene, who compiled a list of the benefits of daylight saving time, including that “most farm products are better when gathered with dew on.”

In reality, farmers disliked daylight saving time because they needed the sun to dry dew from their crops before they could harvest and go to market.

But more daylight after work meant more time to shop, play golf and go to baseball games.

By the early 1960s, states and municipalities were allowed to opt in or out of daylight saving time and decide on their own start and stop dates. That led to widespread confusion, with one infamous example of a bus route from West Virginia to Ohio that included seven time changes.

In 1966, Congress approved the Uniform Time Act, which included a standard requirement on daylight saving time. States were allowed to exempt themselves from the requirement as long as the entire state did so.

“Florida’s decision is another step in a long hard journey, but it’s a really important step,” Yates said. “When I write the timeline of how things changed four years from now, or whenever, this will be an important milestone.”

Quote Originally Posted by ioujc View Post
    I always heard it was so golfers could play longer after work>>>>>most elites are golfers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Noooo! Just leave the clocks alone!
    Now that I wouldn't doubt. And yes, it is true about the "elites," they golf (funny, I was just thinking about that yesterday for some reason.)

And I sure wish they would just leave the clocks alone! Yes!
    2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. - 2 Tim 3 NIV

You have to ask yourself why did they really mess with time?

If anybody should love the "time change" it should be me, living this far north, and the daylight hours being so short in winter....but for gosh sakes - we are only on "Standard Time" for 4 months of the year now, the way they have it arranged. Just a stupid disruption at this point.

Please. Just. Let. It. Go.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    If anybody should love the "time change" it should be me, living this far north, and the daylight hours being so short in winter....but for gosh sakes - we are only on "Standard Time" for 4 months of the year now, the way they have it arranged. Just a stupid disruption at this point.

Please. Just. Let. It. Go.
    Very good point!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

I don't like it being light out at 10pm in the summer. Much rather have dawn at 5:00 in the morning.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

If you asked my granddaddy what time it was during DST he would always give you “well by God’s time it’s ...”. Never give you the DST time. I suppose I’ve hated this crap for quite a while now. It should go away. Serves no purpose.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

I love the long day light hours.........

I LOVE it when it's light at 10:PM at night.

I hate it
    I hate it
    I hate it

Did I mention I hate it
    Here!!! Here!!! I agree whole heartedly!!
    All love is unrequited-Cmdr. Susan Ivanova //Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Capt. Mal remember boys and girls ATFTRAF I used to run with giants, now I wait to be zombie road kill.

“Personally, I hope we do get it year round. I kind of like having the longer days,” he said.
    Damn, people are stupid! Sorry, the length if the day doesn't change, no matter what you do to your clock!

Summerthyme

I hate it
    I hate it
    I hate it

Did I mention I hate it
    Me too!!!!! I feel like hammered dog sheit for days after the change!!

I wish we'd go to full time standard time. Though I do like it being light out later.
    Something is off about it and the disruption it creates.
    It's not really clear how or why it came about, but TPTB at the time, thought it good for them.

Just when you thought the darkness was lifting on the morning drive...this happens!

An oldie but still a goodie:
    https://youtu.be/k4EUTMPuvHo
    2:23

All that is gold does not glitter....

If they could figure out a way to play with the "Biological Clocks", when we'll have something.

The DST madness will never stop until we recognize that it is RACIST!!! Then we might get some traction.

And as far as that Florida thing goes, what does Congress have to say about it? Arizona goes its own sane way on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaSue View Post
    Just when you thought the darkness was lifting on the morning drive...this happens!

An oldie but still a goodie:
    https://youtu.be/k4EUTMPuvHo
    2:23

"WHAT TIME IS IT?!"

"You can't run from this."

I generally get up and moving with daylight...very seldom set an alarm.

DST means some people will get to the job before me.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable