Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Should I get a puppy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    More dogs can't be bad, esp coal ly as a companion to your other dog.

Sometimes though, the circumstance or dog pics you.

Out of nowhere a dog could need a forever home and the care of a loving person so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry as you never know what is around the corner about to come your way.

Whatever you do is going to work out, I'm sure.
    Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
    Has the captain let go of the wheel?
    Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
    I see the road to tomorrow in the haze - Queensryche

Yes. Few puppies will get the love you will give them, don't stop doing that till your to old to do it.
    "His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect, His eyes grey clear. He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. This granted unlimited freedom provoked the Jews, Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews." http://www.thenazareneway.com/likene...ur_saviour.htm

YES!!.

YES

5 Should I get a puppy?
    Apparently we don't have a DUH icon.

YES!!!

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."Theodore Roosevelt-1907.

As long as you can manage the time requirements with your work schedule, then I say go for it.
    "Send lawyers, guns and money - the s**t has hit the fan" --Warren Zevon

Dennis, I'm one of those who can not, will not, would not, live without at least two pups. I'm one of those crazy people that does not believe Man should live without pups, or even kittens. My late mother said, "Don't hold on to your children or pups too tightly. God doesn't give them to you, He just loans them, for they belong to Him."

My children are grown, and have their own lives. My pups are my closest companions, and like children, are the embodiment of God's unconditional love. We must treat them, children and pups, or kittens, as God treats us. It keeps us balanced and human.

By all means, Dennis, for your and Aja's sake, get another pup, so that Aja will never be alone, as well as having a companion to pal around with, and play, when you're at work.

God Bless You, Dennis, for your love of your pups...

OldARcher
    Romans 10:8-10 (ESV)
    8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

YES!!!
    Psalm 147:11
    The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

I have a good back, but would be reluctant to get a dog that would grow heavier than I could lift.

Not a puppy person, myself, and our lab mix puppy remained a puppy for three long years until we got another puppy. At that point, she finally decided to grow up.

Those are beautiful dogs. If you think you can swing it financially, health wise, and remain sane, then get what you want.

Yes, and I agree about one not spoiled by another owner. You can't really tell what may have happened before you get it. Poor Luka had a not so great life before us due to her problems with vaccines. Yeah, she got really sick after a Bordetela shot.

Ashly was wonderful and Sophie was too except having to detox her from the lousy food they had been feeding her. But that settled out after about a month. She's still a pistol but they are inseparable.

I agree about needing two dogs. Except for the rare one, dogs like the company of another dog.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

A puppy will be somewhat easier with Aja there to guide him. You know follow along, doing what big sis does first. Potty, early commands all that. That is if Aja takes to him.
    Do your research, get Aja around some puppies. Some dogs don't go for babies.
    Wonderful idea Dennis, when you are ready. Maybe join a Shepard club ( do they have those?) I know I'm not a club type, but it could help Aja stay socialized in the meantime, while you are finding your way to a new pup.
    Beautiful dogs BTW. Similar but different from Hermione?
    You might look into fostering for a GSD rescue for now? So Aja has a friend? I'm not much into rescues these days though because of the crazies that can be found involved. We had a real go around with border collie rescues after Jazzy, we have a farm and have experience and no small kids but because we did not have a five foot hard fence it was a no go.
    So in the end we did get a puppy, rescued a 8 month old off Craigslist (risky but turned out fine) , then a few months later we found a 7 week old that had to come home with us.
    Was five years ago. Best decision ever! but neither dog is Jazzy. Then again they don't have to be.

Yes! You're an awesome dog dad!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Quote Originally Posted by pinkelsteinsmom View Post
    Yes. Few puppies will get the love you will give them, don't stop doing that till your to old to do it.
    Oh yea what she said. x's 1000

At the risk of being tossed off TB for asking this question, have you thought about getting a Kitten? They make nice company for lonely dogs, and not nearly the hard work that goes into training a puppy. Aja would be fascinated.

Dennis, it's very smart of you to be "considering" getting a pup. That means you are thinking it through with your usual thoroughness, so whatever decision you come to will be the right one for both you and Aja. That said, it sure sounds like you are well on your way to having already made the decision and now it's just coping with the details. Since I'm not a dog owner, far be it from me to make recommendations, but that is one beautiful animal -- I'll bet it eats like a horse!

The problem with a kitten is that Aja isn’t necessarily a “cat friendly” dog. I don't want to get one only to have it killed on the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    Apparently we don't have a DUH icon.

Yes. Dogs are pack animals by nature, and Aja needs a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    The problem with a kitten is that Aja isn’t necessarily a “cat friendly” dog. I don't want to get one only to have it killed on the first day.

Let me correct you Dennis. The problem with a kitten in that eventually it becomes a cat. I've always loved dogs but I'm not a cat person. I have 2 outside cats that I got stuck with because my granddaughter couldn't take with her to her new apartment. Damn things are always under foot and can easily trip you.

Definitely get another puppy but that breed looks a little too hairy to be happy in the humidity in central Texas. They look as if they would prefer a bit colder climate.

Male?

2 years of mayhem.

If you got a female pup, she would be Aja's too. I don't think you would have much problem there.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Conventional wisdom says to mix the sexes of multiple dogs.

Yes, get one. We had our beloved dog put down a month ago due to his toxic liver from seizure meds. About a week later a beautiful beagle terrier mix came into our life. She is a PIA For sure, but so sweet, and the other dog is now out of her funk. And so are we.

Puppy phase willmpass quickly enough. And it’s getting warm weather you will be able to have them outside more now vs trying to do it in winter.

Understand.
    We had a German Shepherd and a Cat. The poor dog was scared silly of the cat, although they eventually played together and were best buds. We all knew who was top Dog, - er, Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Conventional wisdom says to mix the sexes of multiple dogs.
    Assuming you want to deal with the inherent dumbassery of a male shepherd.

OTOH, having a male would up your activity level.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Dude, I had Odin seven years. If anyone understands the “hold my beer & watch this” of a male Shepherd, its me. But he made me laugh EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Definitely!
    Is today the day?

Sure, you know you want one.

No, no puppies right now. If another dog is necessary, foster an adult dog, maybe a senior one, from a shelter or rescue. It's going to get hotter soon. You don't deal well with heat. If you get a dog with too many problems, move it out. That's the beauty of a foster.

Even better, just deal with this situation for a month. It will get better for both of you over time.

Wait until fall when it begins to cool down and look for an adult dog that doesn't shed or doesn't shed as much. You have an opportunity to cut down on cleaning your car and house. Think this through. Right now you are grieving and your heart, not your head, is in charge.

You also need to think about what's going to happen with your job. There's a lot of validity to not acquiring any new animals right now. Put money away -- build up a decent emergency fund.

Time will aid you in making the best decisions.

I would say YES! The sticking point is training a puppy consistently if you are at work.

I got talked into adopting a mama cat and 2 kittens. I have a 13 year old dog who lost his older sister about 3 years ago. He has never been cat friendly so I installed a a series of gates so Joey and the cats would be separated. I installed screens over the gate gaps etc. and it lasted about 6 weeks until mama went over the wall and explored. She held her own with the dog. The kittens were over the top within 2 more weeks and she defended them.

Come to find out the dog was nudging and sliming them. (He is a herding breed.) He never hurt them. It just looked like it. Now one of the kittens is his best friend. He has more energy. He also has a purpose of keeping them out of my room at night so they don't crawl all over me.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Absolutely, get another dog!

My dog was bereft when his friend passed on, and it did not get better. He got more and more depressed until the time that DH said we should now get another dog and our new shelter dog was brought in. Dogs like to be in a family, just as do humans. If you are ready, it will be good for Aja and you will be enlivened by the love, antics, and personality of your new dog. Aja will be intrigued also. You are a loving and responsible owner and will be a blessing to your new dog. There is no way to better honor Hermione's memory than to want to love another dog. She would be happy for you; after all, she loved you and wanted to please and see you pleased. Best, seraphima
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    When in doubt, get the new puppy! You and Aja would have hundreds of hours laughing at puppy antics, the new puppy would bring endless joy too. And Dennis, Hermione would approve of you doing it. Hermione knew you loved her deeply-and the capacity to love someone or something doesn't leave you when the person/animal you loved passes on.You may be a divorcee-but you still believe in love. The care and attention you pay to your dogs shows a man with a big heart and lots of love to give. Your dogs bloom under your love and care, and Dogs are pure unconditional love wrapped up in 4 legs, fur and sloppy kisses.....so why not give a new puppy a spin?
    Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Go for it!! Both for you and Aja!

I agree with what Alfa says..........
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
    Proverbs 3:5-6

But I know that a puppy will take at least 500 hours of work during its first 6 months in order to become a “good dog.” That is a very intimidating thought.
    I'm in the middle of that right now. It's a TON of work. Can you take the time along with your work schedule to deal with a puppy. My pup just turned 9 months (he's been here 7 months), and it feels like he's been here 3 years.

Did I say it's TONS of work to train him correctly? You already know that.

I'm retired, so I have time, but I even ask myself sometimes "what the heck was I thinking getting a puppy"? It's nuts!! But I decided to do this the correct way and focus on training and getting it right to make him a really great dog.

I know you think that same way, can you put in that time and deal with all the puppy crazyness?
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

I honestly don’t know. But if I do this, I’ll have absolutely no life outside work and the dogs for at least 6 months. Every. Single. Day.

Any dog would be blessed to have you as a daddy...the more you have the better in the dog world!
    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."

I'm of 2 minds on this.

Yes, I think a puppy would be good for you and Aja (and the puppy) !

No, only because as others have stated, the immense amount of time involved in training can take its toll.

I know after my Rottie (our only dog at the time) died I was beside myself. Erik & I went looking for another pup and came home with a Malinois, she was a LOT of work and as ashamed as I am to say it I've never really had a "connection" with/to her. It may have just been too soon for me.

Our GSD is another story, immediate bonding, connection and joy.

We know how much you love your furkids and think you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.

I also believe most, if not all, TB'ers will be supportive of your decision.

Genny

I’d not try to own a Malinois as a pet. They’re hard core working dogs. Off-time is not in their makeup.

If you are thinking about it then you should do it. The love this pup would get from you and Aja would be wonderful. You both have so much to give!
    "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"