Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Should I get a puppy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I’ve done three rescues. Odin, Annie and Aja. The only dog I worried about was Odin. It took me months to establish Alpha status over him. But once I did, he was a wonderful dog. Annie was too old to be trouble; she just wanted love, and most of you know how wonderful Aja has been right from Day One. But every rescue is a dice-roll, and right now, I just can’t muster the effort necessary to correct stupid humans’ ruining of an otherwise good dog.

Annie of course, came with significant health problems, and I spent over $1500 on her in the first six weeks.

You have had quite a variety over the past several years. Odin was a doofus but a good boy at heart, Annie always made me think of the song Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine and Aja is very well behaved for a youngster. Hermione was the queen that ruled the roost. I'd say you've done quite well with your dogs. Very well indeed.
    "You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

I probably could have gotten another year out of Annie had I been able to get 20 lbs off her, and that song is my all-time favorite.

Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine

I saw Tom T. Hall live back in 1974 and that song was part of his set. Excellent show.
    "You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

For her. For them both. For the three of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nizxZImh5N8

Quote Originally Posted by bbbuddy View Post
    ^^^ this!^^^

Well bred labs are the most wonderful dogs! Smart, loving, gentle, loving, soft, did I say loving? Happy, smiley, goofy, loving dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    And they never met a burglar who they wouldn't show where all the jewelry was hidden...

Our Lab Baby was wonderful, but if someone tried to break in and they gave her a treat they could come in and take anything in the house. Our Border Collie was protective of us and our home. So if they worked together, Baby would warn us by barking like crazy and then step aside and let Ginger take care of them !!! I sure miss them !!

Tiger, I stopped and prayed for you and your wife. Please keep us updated on your health.
    Ginger

I don't want another "project dog."
    Getting a young puppy and training it isn't a major project??

Really?

And they never met a burglar who they wouldn't show where all the jewelry was hidden...
    Labs can be trained to be home protection dogs. That's the next training class on our list. I've already started my pup on that direction. I had one of the solar company doorknockers come to the door, and the guy was scared sh*tless that my little Lab dude was coming through the glass door to get at him.

It's all about the "perception".
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Not as much a project as reprogramming a mentally or physically abused adult dog.

So . . . back to a kitteh? They can be a lot of fun and not nearly as much work to keep. If you want "big", get a Norwegian Forest cat or a Maine Coon cat. Impressive!!!
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

If you get a kitteh, keep it locked in a separate room when you aren't home, and when you are home, allow the two of them together, always under your supervision. Eventually Aja will understand this is a new addition to your family.
    The kitten needs to be an indoor pet.

Dennis is a dog person. NOT a cat person.

Looking forward to puppy pics!

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Dennis is a dog person. NOT a cat person. Looking forward to puppy pics!
    Yes, Wise Owl, I know that. But with the all replies that have been posted here, there isn't a dog/puppy on this earth that is going to meet all the various considerations being brought up. I know what Dennis thinks about cats too - we were the same. Dog people, no kettehs ever. Until we were "gifted" with the first one who paved the way for all the others that followed the magic beacon that lit the way for strays straight to our house.
    Last edited by Seeker; 03-09-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

First, I've loved many kittehs in my life. I still think they're wonderful furry companions. I just have a need for a more demonstrative, emotionally-recharging creature, and dogs are the ones who fit that bill.

Second, you are entirely correct that there isn't a dog on earth that would fit all the considerations raised on this thread. But that's to be expected because each person has a unique set of requirements that would make a dog ideal for THEM, and like them, I have my own set. I will find a pup that matches my criteria-set, though it would be far outside the boundaries of those who believe a 4 lb. dog is actually a dog (heh).

I'm just not into kittehs these days, though I still love to look at them and pet them.

Really sorry to hear Hermione has passed, been out for a while and didnt see it today when I logged in, I've lost plenty of furkids over the years and it doesnt get easier does it.

How old is Aja, Dennis?

About 2 1/2 now.

Dennis:

My Long Coat White Shepherd just past at age 14 on Feb 22. She had cancer as well. So I know what your feeling. We purchased her from a Breeder in Minnesota for $1000 way back in 2004. Her parents, and grandparents all had a long line of top AKC dog show awards. She had passed her Pen Hip test as a puppy (that was a 1000 dollar fee) . So we thought she would never end up with bad hips. But that is exactly what happened. Her cancer was mammary cancer so we had many surgeries for those removals through the years.

She suffered like your Hermione with her legs giving out. So we were Blessed with 14 years plus. She is in a better place now.

We still have 2 more white Shepherds a 13 year old boy and a 9 year girl. But after they go we are not going to replace them as we are in or early 60's and we want to travel. We do not have the energy anymore but if you do then I wish you the best of luck. Our babies are our best friends.

I just wanted to warn you these breeders can say the dog will never be crippled and charge you more. I was told the same thing and the dog ended up with bad hips even after the pricey Pen hip test said she had good hips. Well I do not have faith in anyone's promise that it would not happen. Yes, in the contracts the breeder will refund 50% of what you pay if the hips are bad. But that is only when they are pups ..

Good luck and my condolences as well.
    Storm

I love malamutes and huskies, that said, the worst dog I ever owned was a malamute. We butted heads from the day I brought him home. I have yet to meet a more head strong dog as that one was. The best dog I ever owned was a female St. Bernard. She was hands down the smartest, most loyal dog I have ever had the pleasure of living with. She made it to 15 which is well past what she should have made it to. I still have her son who is 11 now but he is NOT his mother in any way, shape or form. I would love to have another husky but the prey drive and need to run is too strong in them.

As for being too old? Who is to say how long any of us has? I certainly would not base my decision on age unless I knew for a fact like Tiger, that I had a limited time left. So sorry to hear that Tiger

Go with your heart Dennis and you will make the right decision.
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    So . . . back to a kitteh? They can be a lot of fun and not nearly as much work to keep. If you want "big", get a Norwegian Forest cat or a Maine Coon cat. Impressive!!!
    resident Maine Coon - he's very very sweet doglike but I don't think this guy comes even close temperment wise to a pup
    Attached Images
    Frugal is the new black!!
    http://www.bethefrugaldiva.com
    Get cashback on your online purchases!!!
    http://www.ebates.com/refer-a-friend...o%2FgWeg%3D%3D

I know you dont want a project dog but if you get one from a good rescue (not a shelter) they can give you a real good idea of the temperament and issues of the prospective dog. That allows you to avoid having to undo damage you aren't prepared to undo.

We got our 70 lb skunk-chasin' bed-hoggin' flatulence factory (lol) named Jake from a Golden Retriever rescue about 9 years ago. He was about 2 at the time. Other than some mild separation anxiety at first (he had been neglected a lot and shoveled around from house to house, but not abused) he has been utterly stellar. Slid right into the household like he'd been born to it.

Because of work we weren't able to deal with the time needed to raise another puppy, but like you didnt want to have a headcase dog on our hands. The rescue was real clear about his past, his personality etc and he was a really perfect fit with very little trouble.

Just something to think about.
    "Send lawyers, guns and money - the s**t has hit the fan" --Warren Zevon

The following is My Opinion so take it for what it is worth.

A little background in that I am currently on my 3'rd set of dogs. Always got them a puppies, 6 weeks, and kept them to the end. Each has lasted 13 to 14 years old. All were around 70 to 80 pounds as I wanted the ability to pick them up with no problem but I also wanted somewhat big dogs. My current pair are around 5 years old. I'm 58 and taking ER this year and moving up to the farm/BOL this year and full time retirement. Doing simple math I should expect, keeping fingers crossed, that these will still be with me up until I am 65.

I consider my dogs family. My biggest worry is that something happens to me and they out last me. I'm pretty sure that someone like my sister and her family would take them but they wouldn't get the life and love that they have had and would be an obligation if that makes sense.

65 plus 15 takes me to 80. Even though family history says I will make 80+ I don't trust the odds. But I also do not want to be dog less starting at 65 for the remainder of my life. So for me I will be getting another puppy, black mouth cur, later this year or next. A female so I do not have a younger dog taking over the role as head of the pack occupied by my current male.

So long background story and I feel your need to get another puppy. And I agree with getting the puppy. Puppies bond so well. But I don't know your age or health so think about what happens if the dogs out last you. And if you think the odds are in your favor for that not to happen, just as I think that I will make it to 75, then I say go for it. Get the puppy of your choice and enjoy the new addition to your pack.

tbd

I will find a pup that matches my criteria-set, though it would be far outside the boundaries of those who believe a 4 lb. dog is actually a dog (heh).
    Watch it Dennis. Have you ever seen a maltese make a grown man do the beer dance while running away from this 10 lb sweetheart. I don't know why he was so upset because he had big leather work boots on. Like were was the pup going to bite him. He was running with his beer held way up high above his head and twirling in circles. Very funny.
    Attached Images

When your dog can do this, let me know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JdCvQDHhvY

After we lost Gizmo and Skipper we were lost without a dog around. Then Casper came to us as a rescue and really helped to fill the paw shaped hole in our hearts. We are now looking to take in another rescue. He is a German Sheppard who's owner is going into hospice.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming rescue.

We will have to introduce Casper to him first to see if they get along. Casper does have an attitude.

The yappy ones usually do. Just remember: Casper is a DOG. Casper is not the alpha. YOU are the alpha. Casper needs to do what you order, without question. My pack always accepted new members (however grudgingly) because I required them to. I AM THE ALPHA. I GIVE THE ORDERS. My dogs know it.

When your dog can do this, let me know:

Now that was AWESOME!
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Casper was also abused and is slow at learning to trust. We also have to be careful with the size difference but they are both young dogs so hopefully they will become best buds like Gizmo and Skipper were.

See my post 187. There are no mitigating factors to that. My rescues all had issues too. The best thing I did for them was to be their leader, in whom they could place absolute trust. A weak leader causes neurosis in a dog. That’s never a good thing.

Because big dogs....
    Attached Images

Because big dogs....

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by compchyk View Post
    resident Maine Coon - he's very very sweet doglike but I don't think this guy comes even close temperment wise to a pup
    I have a Maine Coon mix also. He is so big but so gentle. He is a mitten kitten and we just love the dickens out of him even though we have three other rescues. Believe it or not, I am a dog person but at my age and no fenced yard, we turned to cats and they are all very loving. I just love to lay there and hear their purring. Puts me to sleep! It's contentment.

Trying to attach the photo sorry if I didn't get it right. I have a long learning curve on those things!
    Attached Images
    God is pro-life!

Get a wiener dog!! They can sometimes be stubborn but they are loyal and so loving to the end. I have three and one is 13, and when she goes we will get another. Sweetest, quirkiest personalities, but amazing watch dogs!!!

Of course I'm a fan of dobermans.... I do really like the shepherd varieties as well. I was never lucky enough to talk the wife into one because of the hair. Although my dobie was a big shedder. Dobies and shepherds share a lot of similar character traits.

I definitely think you should do it Dennis! Not for just companion sake but there are many studies out there showing how having dogs keep you active longer.
    Responsibility should always lie on that of the individual, and also the consequences for the lack there of.

36. Or a Ragdoll....lol
    Attached Images

I’m just not into “cattitude” these days.

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by krikin View Post
    Get a wiener dog!! They can sometimes be stubborn but they are loyal and so loving to the end. I have three and one is 13, and when she goes we will get another. Sweetest, quirkiest personalities, but amazing watch dogs!!!
    Somehow I can't quite picture Dennis with a Weiner dog Me either for that matter, large dog lover here!
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrynboo View Post
    Somehow I can't quite picture Dennis with a Weiner dog Me either for that matter, large dog lover here!
    Very true!! LOL I was one of those big dog people, and I still have big outdoor dogs...but there is just something about a writer dog. They think they are the big dog!!! LOL