Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC How many of you suffer from 'kosmemophobia'??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many of you suffer from 'kosmemophobia'??

Needless to say, I had never heard of this before. I'm guessing everyone has some type of phobia's, but this is a new one to me.

Michael

For fair use education/research purposes.

The link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/dale...ophobia-nascar

The article:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. explains: 'My jewelry phobia is real'
    By: Michelle R. Martinelli

Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he suffers from a jewelry phobia. Seriously, he gets grossed out by metal jewelry the same way some people react around spiders.

“(My wife) Amy thought that I was making it up and that there’s no such thing as a jewelry phobia,” Earnhardt explained on his Dale Jr. Download podcast this week. “But there is a word. It’s one of them long, crazy words, but it’s real. There’s people that have it.

“I don’t like wearing it, and I don’t like being close to it,” he added.

The word is kosmemophobia, and Earnhardt has it. He said that’s why he has a unique wedding ring and the root of his and Amy’s new deal with a company that sells silicone rings — a popular option for a variety of athletes.

He continued to explain his jewelry issues on the podcast:

“The reason why that fits in our brand is because we’re married, but I also have a jewelry phobia and don’t want to wear metal rings. My wedding ring is actually a wooden ring. I don’t want to wear that too much because it could get scratched or broken, and so I wear Qalo rings, which are like a rubber composite sort of material, and they’re very comfortable. …

“I’ve been wearing their product for a good damn reason because my jewelry phobia is real.”

Earnhardt made a squealing-esque voice when someone asked him about the idea of hanging out with Mr. T, and Junior responded: “I would be almost nauseous next to him.”

Back in 2015, he told Dan Patrick that his phobia was “the biggest hold up” for him not getting married. He and Amy got married after dating for several years and a nearly 18-month engagement.

Before the 2015 Daytona 500, Earnhardt explained why his sister, Kelley Earnhardt Miller, is to blame for his odd phobia.

“My sister used to chase me around the house with necklaces and stuff,” he said with a laugh. “It’s creepy to me.

“(Earnhardt Miller) made it worse. She definitely antagonized me and terrorized me when I was younger.”

I wear no jewelry. I don't mind it on my wife, but I can't stand it on me. No watch, no rings.

I've got no problem with real gold, silver, diamonds, rubies and a few other things. But I'm not crazy about amethyst, opal, emeralds, and sapphires. I had a boyfriend years ago who used to give me all this crazy amethyst stuff, like wizards, and other shapes, and when I broke up with him I had to give it all away. This guy really takes it to extremes though.

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

All I wear is a simple solid gold wedding ring. No chains, no earrings, no watches, etc., etc. Just isn't me.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Here's another odd phobia.

Epistemophobia or gnosiophobia is defined as the morbid and irrational fear of knowledge or the fear of wisdom.

The Epistemophobia poster child (pick one doesn't matter which one they both qualify):

I don't have that K-whatchacallzit- but I do tend to use jewelry more as home decor than personal wear items.

Probably a combination of loving twinkling colors and having curious goats. and cats. and chickens.

(Anyone else notice the peeps in that pic really clean up well?!)

Dangit Seer! felt compelled to annotate my post to make it clear I mean the two in the FIRST photo!

It would be appropriate for Earnhardt to wear a rubber O Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Seer View Post

Epistemophobia or gnosiophobia is defined as the morbid and irrational fear of knowledge or the fear of wisdom.

The Epistemophobia poster child (pick one doesn't matter which one they both qualify):

That's a freakin epidemic in DC!

Summerthyme

I'm not much on jewelry... i dont even wear my wedding band, after breaking my ring finger twice (and having the fun of having to *quickly* twist the ring off a broken and rapidly swelling finger.) Any sort of dangling jewelry is dangerous around machinery (as are rings).

I do love sparkly bits, and have a nice collection of semi-precious gemstone earrings... almost all plain studs. But I don't even wear them much, because my hair catches the backs if I'm moving around much, and I lose them.

But an actual phobia us a bit strange, although I can see how it happened in his case, with an older sister deliberately trying to stir it up. I wonder if their parents would have tolerated him doing the same to her with spiders, snakes or rats?

Summerthyme

In my early working years, I worked with a lot of high voltage, 69k. 4160, 480, 220, 120.
    Couldn't wear any metal or conductor. Made me very nervous and still does.
    "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple" Barry Switzer

All I wear is my gold wedding ring. Sometimes with clothes. It never comes off unless the Doctor needs it removed.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Yet he has no problem sitting surrounded by a metal race car..?

Used to literally ride shotgun for a couple of folks in the jewelry business. Never knew there was such a phobia

All I wear is my wedding band, which is channel set with 8 little diamonds. Don't like diamonds a lot but it was the traditional thing to do. Do like colored stones but the only one I have is an emerald, my birthstone. It's a safe queen however, I rarely wear it.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

First glance saw Kemosabe-phobia.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I LOVE jewelry. Funny, when I lived in Daytona Beach, my boyfriend lived in fear that Dale Jr was going to sweep me off my feet and zoom into the sunset with me. Lol, if he had only known!
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Never heard of this particular phobia.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

The opposite of which is Stultusasinusphobia. Fear of dumnasses. Be afraid, very afraid, they walk among us and the have breed.

Strange.
    I love jewelry, I've bought a lot, but just never wear any.
    I kept taking off my wedding band till i finally lost it.
    I won't get my ears pierced and finally am very allergic to nickle.
    I just have a stainless steel necklace and SS cross.
    I also have a SSchain with nitro, military dog tags, keychain flashlight,storm whistle, and keychain knife on it that do I wear. 24/7

Oh yea, I forgot, a SS watch.
    You who SEEK revenge,or JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

I read it as KOS-phobia and was thinking "Why would anyone be Phobic over a past board member and does Dale read here?"

Actually it sounds like a mental illness to me, not liking or wanting to wear it is one thing but to have an absolute Phobic shitfit over it like people do with Spiders or Snakes [[Dad, dad? Are you reading here? :P Or Dennis?]] is beyond my capability to fathom properly. Sort of like "Panic Attacks"-I knopw people who get them and I know it exists but the whole mindset is beyond me.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    I read it as KOS-phobia and was thinking "Why would anyone be Phobic over a past board member and does Dale read here?"

Actually it sounds like a mental illness to me, not liking or wanting to wear it is one thing but to have an absolute Phobic shitfit over it like people do with Spiders or Snakes [[Dad, dad? Are you reading here? :P Or Dennis?]] is beyond my capability to fathom properly. Sort of like "Panic Attacks"-I knopw people who get them and I know it exists but the whole mindset is beyond me.
    Really?

OLIVES
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Really?

OLIVES

"It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

This is strange but I will be honest. Have you ever taken 2 forks with the prongs locked into each other? I hate this for some reason and I don't know why. I never told anyone this before.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    WARNING: ONLINE PHOBIA EXPOSURE THERAPY!!! (Including my own.)

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    First glance saw Kemosabe-phobia.
    Me too. Fear of White suited cowboys?

I have agoraphobia - which is why I like my field so much. And if I go out I want Owner nearby me.

Owner has caught on to that - but he incorrectly labeled it as "angorophobia."

Fear of small white furry things thought I.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    All I wear is my gold wedding ring. Sometimes with clothes. It never comes off unless the Doctor needs it removed.

HAHAHAHA

nice
    float like a butterfly...

You've heard of brothers from another mother. Well here we have:
    Sisters from another mister???
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

This jewelry phobia thing is an odd one - but that's why they call them phobias. They are irrational fears.

I've taken to wearing fun, decorative rings as a reminder to take care of my hands since I started playing guitar again. I was so used to bashing my fingers, nails and hands up mindlessly with daily work, that I needed to become more "conscious". It has helped. As for earrings, I never had a problem when I was younger with my pierced ear holes closing up, but now, if I don't put earrings in at least every couple days, they want to grow over.

Can't stand the thought of my teeth brushing against a Styrofoam cup. URRRrrrr...

To me that is just as ghastly as someone raking their fingernails down a chalkboard.

The first time I read the title I was like, "Huh???"

"How Many of you Suffer From Kemosabe?"

Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

You want to know irrational fear? A q-tip being jabbed between my toe's.
    I win.
    Please clap.
    III

Dale was perhaps traumatized as an infant or child by some broad wearing that kind of jewelry.

I can't wear watches. Is there a watch wearing phobia?

I like watches, but haven't found one that won't die inside two weeks of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    This is strange but I will be honest. Have you ever taken 2 forks with the prongs locked into each other? I hate this for some reason and I don't know why. I never told anyone this before.
    May wife hates using a fork with crooked or misbent tines, I got very good at straightening forks at restaurants.
    Oh, she is allergic to any jewelry but diamonds and gold
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Oh dear, oh dear! MORE exposure therapy needed!!!

its called adornment! think about that word for a moment!
    ========================================
    DONT BLAME ME! IM NOT MY FAULT!
    the biggest thing that we have learned from history is that we haven't learned anything from history!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by kytom View Post
    its called adornment! think about that word for a moment!
    I had Kemosabiphobia once after I was traumatized by an episode of the Lone Ranger....
    Work Like You Don't Need the Money
    Love Like You've Never Been Hurt
    Dance Like Nobody's Watching.....

I wear a wedding ring, and a college ring, that's it. Can't stand the feel of a watch on my arm, so haven't worn one since 1981
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear! MORE exposure therapy needed!!!
    argh!!!

That sends shivers down my spine.....
    Please clap.
    III

First time I clicked on this thread since it started. Dale Jr., would have a heart attack if he had to shake Mr. T's hand!