Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Good advice: Before you buy a house or property, check out the noise level.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

14 Good advice: Before you buy a house or property, check out the noise level.

This is from Australia, but good advice no matter where you are:

NoiseNet
    ‏ @NoiseNetAU
    2m2 minutes ago

This week one of our customers told us how the Noise Rating changed her perception on buying a home. To read about Anne's story click the link: http://ow.ly/pP2F30iNlO5 #news #breaking #blog #home #lifestyle #startup #property #investment #breaking #auctions #realestateAU

‘highlighted areas and causes of noise I never would have considered’

March 6, 2018

A Brisbane woman has admitted to spending hours sitting outside properties, day and night, trying to hear what it would be like to live there.

She’s not alone, many people know what a property is like to live in, but are in the dark about whether the property suffers from intrusive noise problems.

Anne Sweeney is a Brisbane resident who owns an investment property in Jindalee. It was purchased so her three children would have a place to live while they study at the University of Queensland.

“We have always been concerned about ongoing noise levels and have decided not to purchase properties in the past for this very reason,” she said.

Open houses and inspections are often short, and at a time of day when the agent knows the property will be quiet.

Anne says she recently found out about NoiseNet, a Brisbane based startup which offers a free service to rate a property based on its noise levels. The rating (1 being quiet and 5 being loud) takes into account flight paths, roads, commercial zoning and rail networks.

Mrs Sweeney used to service to type in her Jindalee address and was surprised to find out it ranked 2.9 out of 5. A moderate rating, meaning it is effected by noise.

Upon ordering a more detailed report from the company, she said she was surprised by what it showed.

She said: “It highlighted areas and causes of noise I never would have considered. Having someone else provide this information is useful.”

The Noise Rating is the first of its kind in the world and has already provided ratings to over 110 people in the Brisbane City Council area.

NoiseNet CEO Stuart Clough said: “This free information will hopefully help people avoid disappointment and allow them to know all they can about a property – before they commit to it.”

https://www.noisenet.com.au/single-p...dered%E2%80%99
    Attached Images
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Great advice for apartment dwellers, too. There are so many annoying things people don't think about until they have to experience them.

I've never lived in a 2 story house so I didn't give much thought to it when I leased my apartment. I'll sure know better with the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixin View Post
    Great advice for apartment dwellers, too. There are so many annoying things people don't think about until they have to experience them.

I've never lived in a 2 story house so I didn't give much thought to it when I leased my apartment. I'll sure know better with the next one.

This is very true too. Where I live the neighborhood itself is serenely quiet 99.9% of the time. But you never know who's going to move into the apt above you. Sigh.... for instance, I think it's two gay guys who just moved in above me a few weeks ago, and then I hear a little kid running and thumping all day long on the uncarpeted floors. I call the landlady and ask her what's up. She goes, "Oh, the kid is only supposed to be there on the weekend." It's one-bedroom apt. Well, they still haven't put down any rugs or carpets and the kid is there much more than he's supposed to be (although I think they told him to quit running). So where's the mother? What does she do, palm the kid off on her ex who happens to be gay? I don't know. Noise levels you can't do much about, I guess. If it gets too out of control, I'll complain again. The kid's been there ever since after work tonight, and it's not the weekend.

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

I took a real estate class years ago. The teacher was a broker who had his own real estate company. One of the many nuggets of advice he gave us was to check out a property at night and on weekends for rowdy and noisy neighbors. He told a story about beautiful house priced under the market and thought something was fishy so he dropped by one evening to check the place out. Turns out the next door neighbor had several teenage/college aged kids who liked to party around the swimming pool until the wee hours of night. The next day he asked the owner of the for sell house about the parties. The seller confessed that the neighbors were driving him crazy and that he had just quit complaining to the police because nothing was ever done about the noise because one of the family members next door was on the town council.

RE nugget to remember: What may seem like heaven during the day may turn out to be hell at night.

You mean I can't live at the end of a runway at a busy airport?

BARKING DOGS...............EGADS I CAN'T STAND IT.............thankfully it's thinned out recently
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

Don't forget to check out the county property records too, make sure the town drunk/thief/drugdealer/etc isn't next door.

Just a tip, too- even if the near by property looks like a dozen acres of unremarkable hay field... go ahead and ask if there
    are plans to sell/build/develop it. Otherwise, you might be surprised to see a new business being built that will run lights
    on it's buildings and light up your property.

Just saying
    (yup. happened to me, somehow. Turned out fine, as it's well taken care of, an asset to the area, and free lighting for my front field. still.)

a big HELL YEAH to this especially for apartment dwellers. Years ago our dream apartment with an ocean view became a nightmare of screaming out of control muzzies and their kids together with fire starting chinese people below who nearly burned the place down. Had we done the night time check, we would NOT have moved there.

Oh well, it got us out of CA sooner, that's for sure!
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

Our rural subdivision is/was quiet until a neighbor last year bought his teenage grandson a 4 wheeler. Now he rides all around the subdivision and made a trail through the woods across the street from our house.
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Every couple weeks we hear a vehicle. It's like "What was that? Oh, it's a car."

Before I ever bought or rented a place.......I always drove by and checked it out around 9-10pm on a work night..............and at 9pm to 12mid on a Friday/Saturday evenings.....

Sometimes for a few weeks especially in the middle and end of the month when most people get paid I stop then to see what kind of riff raff might be carrying on at night after they get paid................

If it passes that test it's usually good.........

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Every couple weeks we hear a vehicle. It's like "What was that? Oh, it's a car."
    Lol! Around here, it's that "clip clop, clip clop" and the rattle of buggy wheels that gets us. Or, more accurately, gets the dogs barking... but they're our dogs, so I guess we can't complain! Seriously, except for an occasional owl, vixen fox, or pack of coyotes, it's so quiet out here that on summer nights you can hear a horse and buggy 2 miles away!

Summerthyme

We hear an occasional distant train whistle on the weekends from down in the valley. Once in a while a plane will pass low overhead out of Tulahoma, and the normal wildlife. That's about it.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Everyone here has dogs. We do too. Our big dog used to bark till all the other dogs in hearing shut up, then it was quiet in that regard. The New Goat Show is guarded by two young Anatolian shepherds. One barks, the other squeaks. It's funny.

Neighbor across the road raises hackle chickens. That means lots of roosters. Fortunately we like the sound of roosters in the morning.

We live on a main road, what is a main road here anyway. Big trucks Jake brake coming down the hill. Traffic is not bad otherwise. We get lots'o'motorcycles in the summer, loud pipes occasionally. Usually sports bikes running the curves, they're quiet.

Abut every three weeks or a month or so we get a pair of Eagles from down east, practicing not flying into clouds with rocks in them. LOUD! Only one pass, but the suckers sneak up on you.

Other than that - peace and quiet. Except when it's windy. Then the mountains roar.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    We hear an occasional distant train whistle on the weekends from down in the valley. Once in a while a plane will pass low overhead out of Tulahoma, and the normal wildlife. That's about it.
    We hear semi-trucks, jackhammers, backup beepers, etc., from the construction going on at the dam. Even heard the blasting, but sirens went off warning people that a blast was coming. People whose homes back right up to the dam had the biggest headaches and several homes went up for sale. None of them have sold. Gee, I wonder why. Also, when you sell your home you have to disclose anything like noise, neighbors from hell, etc. It has quieted down considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Lol! Around here, it's that "clip clop, clip clop" and the rattle of buggy wheels that gets us. Or, more accurately, gets the dogs barking... but they're our dogs, so I guess we can't complain! Seriously, except for an occasional owl, vixen fox, or pack of coyotes, it's so quiet out here that on summer nights you can hear a horse and buggy 2 miles away!

Summerthyme
    are we neighbors just kidding we have the same problems at our house too

by the way we live in the edge of a small village..

Since my county has been targeted for CAFO development, if you're buying any property out in the country, you have to ask if a CAFO is being built near by. Real estate agents won't volunteer the information, but they have to disclose if you ask. The real estate market has pretty much collapsed in one township.
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

When I was single, many years ago, I was very aware of noise, and found a quiet, older apartment complex to rent. No sooner than I'd moved in that day, than I could hear the elderly lady snoring through my bedroom wall. So much for finding a nice quiet apartment. I moved six months later.

The next apartment was near a busy street, but wasn't too bad. After a few months, and a change of managers, they started allowing young children into apartments where my apartment was...there went the quiet afternoons near my patio....I married and moved to the country!

So, you think you find a nice quiet apartment; but you just don't know how bad the neighbors are. I'd lived in several apartments during the ten years I was single; and everyone of them had issues with noisy tenants; yappy dogs;loud music; stomping around above me; or fighting outside my window......I hated apartment living!!!!
    Last edited by Tundra Gypsy; 03-06-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by big kumara View Post
    Since my county has been targeted for CAFO development, if you're buying any property out in the country, you have to ask if a CAFO is being built near by. Real estate agents won't volunteer the information, but they have to disclose if you ask. The real estate market has pretty much collapsed in one township.
    "CAFO"???
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

I don't know if all Hispanics are like this, but my neighborhood of old WASP homes is gradually (as the old folks die out or sell to go live in retirement homes) being bought out (or rented out) to Hispanics.

They seem to love two things, particularly:

1. Starting VERY SMOKY FIRES outdoors in their yards (I still haven't figured out if they do this for warmth, to cook on, or as a "smudge" to keep mosquitoes away (that was the old way of doing it, way back when before pesticides). And it isn't a "normal" wood fire--they're apparently burning LEAVES, pine straw, and wet wood, and it creates mounds of thick, heavy, eye-stinging smoke. I can't EVER enjoy sweet warm Spring nights or cool Fall ones anymore--my whole house would be full of smoke.

2. PARTYING VERY LOUDLY, OUTDOORS--especially on weekends / weekend nights. In the house in front of me, the kids of the family would go out into their front yard (which faced my carport so it may as well have been a megaphone pointed right at me), open both doors of their father's pickup truck, crank up the music loud enough to be heard in Boston and Yee-Hah! Party time! The neighbors behind me do the same thing--but THEY have turned their own garage into a game/party room, so when they're partying they put the karaoke into the garage--which points TOWARD my yard (from the back, not the front) and their own garage acts as a megaphone to direct all that noise right AT me.

I don't know if ALL Hispanics have a "thing" for smoky fires and LOUD parties (someone tell me if you know) but these two things alone are making life miserable for me in what used to be a quiet, peaceful neighborhood. Now I can't even enjoy my own yard.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation.

Yes, the loud parties are typical for mexicans and they usually cook for the whole bunch outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Excellent! Now I have an apt description of holiday meals at my sister and BIL's place. We do not attend, as the amount of food consumed by these waddlers is positively nauseating.

Wouldn't mind joining a loud fiesta once in a while, but screaming muzzies and fire starting Chinese would be a nightmare.
    Every Time History Repeats Itself The Price Goes Up.

Yes, the loud parties are typical for mexicans and they usually cook for the whole bunch outside.
    On a GRILL I would understand---but on the GROUND, using LEAVES and PINE STRAW as fire-starters---all that SMOKE?!?

yech!

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    On a GRILL I would understand---but on the GROUND, using LEAVES and PINE STRAW as fire-starters---all that SMOKE?!?

yech!
    If you complain they might kill you. I'm not kidding.
    I had my fill of messikins while in LA. If I never again hear a word of Spanish in my life, I'll be happy.

I'd look to be moving. Soon.
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

Or, Christian Alliance For Orphans. Don't really want to live next to that either.

While I was "gone cruising" one time, ex-DW rented a place in a beautiful townhouse complex, that unfortunately turned into a little Africa street party when the sun went down. No real problems except noise, and difficulty driving through the place.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    I live in the Chesapeake, VA area. It's about 7 miles from Fentress Naval Aux Landing Field.

A quiet unassuming little place.

UNLESS the Squadrons are working up for a deployment.

Did y'all know the F/A-18 is the loudest plane in the Navy's inventory? I can hear it 7 miles away.

So, they have to do so many "bounces" which is what they do on a land based runway for Carrier Qualifications. They hit the runway at full afterburner, which simulates missing all the wires. The plane then executes a missed approach, which, unfortunately puts them in an oval flight path near my house.

I'm a retired Sailor, and the local motto around here is "We love the sound of Freedom".

It does get old at midnight, which is when they pull the plug -- Have to get in their NCLP (Night Carrier Landing Practice).

It was one minor reason I'm moving down to NC!
    Ezra 9:3
    "When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled"

Another thing to check out - if you're not retired and still working, check the morning traffic (and again, evenings coming home). When we moved to El Paso the first time, I camped out at a shopping mall parking lot and realized real quick that we were not going to look for houses on the east side of town. All the morning tie-ups and accidents were in the west-bound lanes, as the east side commuters were heading in to town. . . or jobs on the west side (which is where we lived, quietly, both times we were there).
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

We bought a house. A year later the nearest international airport opened new runways. The new landing pattern was centered over my ridgeline.

We rented a house a long time ago on a Monday morning and moved in the next day. On Friday night, a gazillion illegal, single, Mexican men partied in the street in front of our new place. An African American hooker dressed like a Japanese schoolgirl was working the crowd.

Check out a potential neighborhood day and night, weekends, and when it rains or snows.

My ex is an appraiser.

She was doing a house down by Bush (IAH) and a plane was just leaving.

Got a picture of it right over the house.

In the workup it was, View of front, View of back, View of noise overhead.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by minkykat View Post
    I had my fill of messikins while in LA. If I never again hear a word of Spanish in my life, I'll be happy.

and WHERE exactly in this whole country can one GO without there being any hispanics there??

Quote Originally Posted by minkykat View Post

Last time they had a party, I heard the sound of glass breaking near my back garden / pasture fence (no animals in it now, but gives you an idea of the size--we're not talking a little 1/4 acre builder's lot here) so I went down to investigate if they were throwing their beer bottles in MY yard over the fence.

Several men standing around with beers...I ignored them, walking the fenceline on my side....suddenly one of them very loudly yells at me "WHO are YOU!?!" as if I had no right to be in MY OWN YARD next to theirs'! I just said, "I'm a neighbor," and walked on--he then said "What are you doing here!" in a loud, demanding tone....I said, "I'm looking for something" and walked on. I realized they were all too drunk to talk sense, so I left. I've been debating ever since whether to say something about how their guests treated me to the folks (renters) who live in the house--they are a husband/wife/3 kids family who have invited us to their son's birthday and baptism parties and have tried to show friendship, but I don't know. I've also wondered about talking to the man who owns the house (also Hispanic but not Mexican--in fact he despises Mexicans; I think he's from Costa Rica) -- he himself "was" going to move in with his family UNTIL the county re-drew the school district lines and his kids would have been assigned to a very inferior school, so he gave up on that idea and rented it out instead.

And yes I wish we could move---too many unknowns in our life right now--the place we are is convenient to my job and my sons' jobs, to the bus line for my blind son (when he's home from college) and to my husband's 90-year-old mother in the town just down the road. Within 10 years---probably--but not right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    My ex is an appraiser.

She was doing a house down by Bush (IAH) and a plane was just leaving.

Got a picture of it right over the house.

In the workup it was, View of front, View of back, View of noise overhead.
    Yup, as an appraiser myself, this is something I listen for. Recently took a photo of a Southwest jet coming in to Lindbergh Field (SDO) doing a triplex appraisal. Document EVERYTHING!
    Excuses are the tools of the incompetent. ~ Thirsty Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    and WHERE exactly in this whole country can one GO without there being any hispanics there??
    norhtern tip of Maine maybe? Alaska?
    Excuses are the tools of the incompetent. ~ Thirsty Rollins

There aren't many/any in our small rural town. Used to be 10-12,mall single men, who wotked on the big dairy farms here. ICE came through a couple times too many, and they all vanished.

Summerthyme

CONSTANTLY people are buying houses in Oceana in Virginia Beach (near Laskin Road) and after they move in, they complain bitterly about jet noise. Around here, we call it "the sound of freedom" but you'd be amazed at how many people gripe about it.

Noise was one of my worries when we were trying to sell my parent's place. It's a great, roomy piece of property - farm, hunting, woodcutting, trails - great for outdoorsy people, except that the (re-routed) main highway is about 250 feet from the front yard. Lots of truck traffic - year-round grain hauling mostly, and you literally can not hear a conversation on the front porch when a truck goes by. It used to drive me nuts. Anyway, the kids who bought the place either didn't care, or were used to worse.

Here, there are occasional hints of air traffic (both military and civilian), R.R. crossings about 5 miles away in all directions, and the gravel pit back-up beepers from the gravel pit (3 miles away) when the air is still. Otherwise, virtually no noise from car traffic. The crows and ravens are usually the most annoying sounds we hear. Thank God we are too far north (yet) for Whipporwills.

I live in a dead end court so we don't get much traffic but the family that lived across the street from me had a busy road behind them. They started a family a few years ago and found the noise from cars and trucks kept their babies and kids awake and wound up moving to another neighborhood. Another good reason to check out the noise level before you buy.

One of the nicest places I ever saw was built in the 30's or 40's, massive country home on massive grounds overlooking the river in St Paul and the airport beyond. In the 30's the prop planes would make their final turn over the river. By the 50's the big airliners were starting their approach farther out, but idling down they don't make much noise. Then the jets came, starting their approach 15 miles out, and I swear you could count the rivets on those suckers' bellies as they came over the pool where we'd be swimming. Totally unlivable.

Quote Originally Posted by robb1313 View Post
    I live in the Chesapeake, VA area. It's about 7 miles from Fentress Naval Aux Landing Field.

A quiet unassuming little place.

UNLESS the Squadrons are working up for a deployment.

Did y'all know the F/A-18 is the loudest plane in the Navy's inventory? I can hear it 7 miles away.

So, they have to do so many "bounces" which is what they do on a land based runway for Carrier Qualifications. They hit the runway at full afterburner, which simulates missing all the wires. The plane then executes a missed approach, which, unfortunately puts them in an oval flight path near my house.

I'm a retired Sailor, and the local motto around here is "We love the sound of Freedom".

It does get old at midnight, which is when they pull the plug -- Have to get in their NCLP (Night Carrier Landing Practice).

It was one minor reason I'm moving down to NC!
    I lived near Oceana... ahhh the dull background sound of after-burners filling the air! hahaha

Now I live near a railroad track, and hear the sound of trains and their horns, but not all day long. The owner selling me the house said you'll get so used to it, you won't even hear them..and for the most part we tune them out. They only come by about 3 times a day.

The house before this was near an interstate. I had no idea how loud that would be...on a constant 24/7 basis. Big ole trucks and tractor trailers etc. We couldn't even hear ourselves talk on the front porch and we were a row of houses back, not even directly next to it.
    We only lived there a year. Whew!