Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

INSANITY Retired physician sells his boat for $1 to young couple who sank their sailboat in 2 days
+ Reply to Thread

15 Retired physician sells his boat for $1 to young couple who sank their sailboat in 2 days

Retired physician sells his boat for $1 to young couple who sank their sailboat in 2 days

Alexandra Deabler is a Lifestyle writer and editor for Fox News.
    4-5 minutes

The Colorado couple who sank their beloved sailboat two days into their journey to the Caribbean is getting another go at navigating the high seas.

Tanner Broadwell, 26, and girlfriend Nikki Walsh, 24, sold everything they owned to pursue their dream of one day sailing around the world. However, they didn’t get far – their sailboat hit a sandbar and capsized off the coast of Madeira Beach, FL, two days later, leaving them only with $90 and no home.

The story of the couple’s misfortune quickly went viral and caught the eye of retired physician and boat owner, Mark Reinecke, who turned the couple’s luck around by selling them his 1985 Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36-foot sailboat for $1, the Daily Mail reported.

The 77-year-old parted with his boat of 33 years, The Odyssey, because of his age and declining health, the Daily Mail reported. Reinecke said in the past decade, he has not been able to take it out like he used to.

“I've had it there behind the house trying to think of something to do with it,” Reinecke said.

“That boat is like part of our family, but we also feel that the sailboat deserves to be at sea, not just sitting there, so when this situation came up, we said, 'Let them have it'. It's like passing it on to the next generation,” he continued, noting that the couple reminded him of he and his wife.

Broadwell and Walsh, who had zero sailing experience before embarking on their last short adventure, hope to start their trip on the Odyssey by next week.

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoor...in-2-days.html

Interesting commentary at the link.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Hopefully they drown this time. would make a great darwin award. no sailing experience and going out to sea = death.

Still not taking sailing lessons...
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Should have sprung for sailing lessons for them, too.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I was going to say great for them to get a second chance in a boat big enough to go out a bit further but they better get a lot of experience under their belts before they try it again or next time they might not be so lucky.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

That boat if it was in good condition would be worth 40 to 45K.
    The problem is that it hasn't been taken out to sea in over 10 years.
    It needs to be gone over and have some needed repairs made.

Oh and the couple's gofundme account has $16,500 in it.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Should have sprung for sailing lessons for them, too.
    They are free through the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Still not taking sailing lessons...

Captain Ron is available >>>> https://youtu.be/tr82gPYI24I
    Illini Warrior

What did they do with the one they sunk? It was in less than 10 feet of water and had a busted keel if I recall.

I don't have high hopes for this next one either. Nice gesture on the guy's part, but I'd want to give my baby to somebody who had some sense and wanted to actually learn to sail.

Calling Captain Ron. Calling Captain Ron. You are desperately needed in Maderia Beach.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Doz and Cardinal beat me to it. I was hoping they'd actually LEARNED from their mistakes. Apparently not...

Broadwell and Walsh, who had zero sailing experience before embarking on their last short adventure, hope to start their trip on the Odyssey by next week.
    Sigh... hope they've at least left signed wills (although since they're apparently penniless/assetless, I guess that doesn't really matter) and leave the dogs on shore. It's their own choice to throw their own lives away due to ignorance and apathy, but the dogs deserve better.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post

NONE of which they are smart enough to spend having a good boatyard go over the craft and do whatever is necessary to make it seaworthy. Some people make winning Darwin awards SO damned easy...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post

of course they have a gofundme......

float like a butterfly...

Sailing is not easy, and no one should undertake a venture like this with no experience. There is so much that can go wrong at sea!
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Well they are from Colorado. Maybe they still are using some of the product.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

I'd guess the retired doc and his family were smart (and well off) enough to know it was easier in the long run to give the boat away before ole doc passed on.

Can any idle gofundme request generate such bux?
    Proverbs 28:28 When corruption takes over, good people go underground, but when the crooks are thrown out, it's safe to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Can any idle gofundme request generate such bux?
    Nah... it usually takes a national news story and either something that really is a valid cause/need, something that tugs on heartstrings/emotions (it helps to have cute kids or animals involved), or... occasionally, as in this case, something that apparently at least a significant number of people can identify with (because a lot of folks apparently saw this as a, "well, we were all young and dumb once" thing...

Summerthyme

So the doc essentially issued a death warrant to the clueless couple. I simply cannot understand todays young folks, even after a strong life lesson they ignore it and continue to traipse along believing in their invincibility.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Nah... it usually takes a national news story and either something that really is a valid cause/need, something that tugs on heartstrings/emotions (it helps to have cute kids or animals involved), or... occasionally, as in this case, something that apparently at least a significant number of people can identify with (because a lot of folks apparently saw this as a, "well, we were all young and dumb once" thing...

Summerthyme
    Anyone who funds it is basically helping them to kill themselves. Wondering if some of the money was sent with that intent. The stupidity of these two is so blatant...no sympathy from me when the nearly inevitable happens. Even on a refurbished boat, stuff goes wrong. They need to be their own plumbers, electricians, radio techs, etc. No plans for what could go wrong? No skill sets? Can they even navigate in a general direction w/o the GPS? Have they ever considered how many boats with seasoned skilled sailors are at the bottom of the ocean? Would you scale a vertical rockface with no experience and no ropes? Would you walk into a symphony with an instrument you never played, and some unknown sheet of music and expect to wing it?

I normally say, "Life is for living." I enjoyed some risky adventures when young, but I make it a point to learn what was necessary to minimize risks, and planned for possible problems. These two have poor chances of a good outcome, and I honestly hope no one comes to their assistance if they manage to call for a rescue. No one should feel in anyway obligated to put themselves at any risk for two fools who have shown such disregard for property and their own lives.

If they don't spend at least the next year near shore learning how to handle, navigate, and operate that boat in all types of weather they will surely die at sea. However, it kinda seems like they've got a death wish, so maybe that's what they want.
    Blue 5

Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high.
    -Edward Ormondroyd

Doubling down on stupid... nature will take care of the rest.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Quote Originally Posted by greysage View Post
    I'd guess the retired doc and his family were smart (and well off) enough to know it was easier in the long run to give the boat away before ole doc passed on.
    This was my thought. I see people struggle to get rid of old boats all the time. The article says that it has been out behind the house. Don't know if that means in the water or on land but either way after a decade of little use it will probably need a lot of work. Much of it will be outside their abilities as it is somewhat specialized. That is also a lot of boat for people with no sailing experience. If they are lucky they will sink close to shore and get rescued. If they are far out to sea and outside any shipping lanes that pug is going to look awfully good in the liferaft if they have one.

Maybe the old Doc was savvy enough to give them a good talking to behind the scenes before he handed them the keys.

Haha! No matter - if they sink this one, somebody will catch it with all the media attention they drummed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Anyone who funds it is basically helping them to kill themselves. Wondering if some of the money was sent with that intent. The stupidity of these two is so blatant...no sympathy from me when the nearly inevitable happens. Even on a refurbished boat, stuff goes wrong. They need to be their own plumbers, electricians, radio techs, etc. No plans for what could go wrong? No skill sets? Can they even navigate in a general direction w/o the GPS? Have they ever considered how many boats with seasoned skilled sailors are at the bottom of the ocean? Would you scale a vertical rockface with no experience and no ropes? Would you walk into a symphony with an instrument you never played, and some unknown sheet of music and expect to wing it?

I normally say, "Life is for living." I enjoyed some risky adventures when young, but I make it a point to learn what was necessary to minimize risks, and planned for possible problems. These two have poor chances of a good outcome, and I honestly hope no one comes to their assistance if they manage to call for a rescue. No one should feel in anyway obligated to put themselves at any risk for two fools who have shown such disregard for property and their own lives.
    I completely agree. My life has been far from conventional, but I always made it a point to learn everything I could before diving in...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Maybe the old Doc was savvy enough to give them a good talking to behind the scenes before he handed them the keys.
    I really, truly hope so.
    Somewhere in the clouds, Your peak is shining, Have courage and go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_cqbxF0cg

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    I completely agree. My life has been far from conventional, but I always made it a point to learn everything I could before diving in...

Summerthyme
    You guys act as if this is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    You guys act as if this is a bad thing?
    After a certain break-point, when the average idiot should have learned a few things, my philosophy is "Let 'em run. Free entertainment".

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    After a certain break-point, when the average idiot should have learned a few things, my philosophy is "Let 'em run. Free entertainment".
    Except when they sink and either Good Sams or the Coast Guard has to go try to rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    Except when they sink and either Good Sams or the Coast Guard has to go try to rescue them.
    Inevitable/unavoidable. These people are the types who make such organizations necessary. So far, modern society won't fully embrace Darwin - to the overall detriment of the human species.

I'm sure they watched a bunch of YouTubes.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

anybody think that matching these numbnuts up with the two lesbians the US Navy found adrift in the South Pacific would make good Lifetime movie ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Anyone who funds it is basically helping them to kill themselves. Wondering if some of the money was sent with that intent.
    It's like owning a piece of a reality disaster movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I'm sure they watched a bunch of YouTubes.
    This! It's AMAZING how many 20 somethings think that is all you need to do!

Summerthyme

Their old boat is on it's side in about 5 or 6 feet of water.
    Mast may be broke, but it can be easily salvaged.
    They signed over the title to the 50 year old boat to a Marina owner.
    Panicking when the boat first hit the sandbar and abandoning the boat was a mistake.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

This time it won't be just the two of them. I'd bet at least a couple of reporters with a camera crew and a fully stocked boat will be right next to these snowflakes. Future made-for-tv movie? Maybe.

Glad he wasn't my doc
    He has no ability to assess a situation