Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

pre-mix recipes, cakes, batters, meat seasoning, downloadable pdf
+ Reply to Thread

pre-mix recipes, cakes, batters, meat seasoning, downloadable pdf

Some pretty good recipes here for quick reference. Can download the pdf free at the link.

http://uaf.edu/ces/pubs/catalog/detail/index.xml?id=307

Also, lots of farming and homesteading info at the UAF extension link sent.. good to book mark and look around, esp if you're in a cold/ northern climate!
    Attached Images
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

thanks so much! i make alot of my own mixes and i enjoy learning more. my all time favorites so far are the Cream of Mushroom Soup dry mix---really excellent, you will never buy another can of campbells.

chicken seasoning
    taco seasoning
    cafe vienna instant coffee
    old bay
    pot roast seasoning
    french onion soup dry mix
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. There is No Other.

Cannabis Medicine Recipes For Cancer And More http://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com

I don't see any cream of mushroom soup dry mix.

Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks!! It looks like I'll be printing it. <3

thanks!

Back when we had more time than money, we made something called "cream of anything soup mix". You'd add "something" to it... a can of mushroom pieces for mushroom soup, a can of chicken meat for "cream of chicken soup", etc. Cost was almost nothing. If anyone is interested, I'll try to find the recipe.

Cream of whatever soup

Here's the recipe we used for cream of "whatever" soup. I don't know who to thank for it, but it sure made my life easier and more economical a few decades ago.
    ---------------------

I also store what is called "cream of whatever soup" mix. Here's the recipe to make it.

2 c powdered nonfat milk
    3/4 c. cornstarch
    1/4 c. chicken bouillon
    2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
    1 tsp basil leaves
    1 tsp thyme or tarragon
    1/2 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients until mixed well.

To sub for a can of cream of whatever soup, combine 1/3 cup of mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water. Heat and stir until thickened. Use as you would a can of soup. It's equilivent to a single can of soup.

Mushroom: add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
    Celery: add 1/2 cup finely minced celery
    Potato: add 1 cup cooked diced potatoes
    Chicken: add 1/2 cup cooked chicken
    Vegetable: add 3/4 cup cooked veggies
    Broccoli: add 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli
    Sop de Tortilla: corn tortillas, torn to chip size & green onions, 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, crushed garlic, 1 or 2 chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, & cheese.

A friend gave me a jar of this mix for Christmas. I'm glad she included the recipe to make it cause I love this stuff! It makes a can of soup for a few pennies (a few more pennies now than then, but still a fraction of what a can of soup costs)
    ----------------
    I kept a quart jar of that in the pantry for years, and it often found use in sauces poured over pasta or simple meat dishes as well as soups.

Nice!

The buttermilk master mix is likely similar to a "master mix" I got from our Cooperative Extension folks many, many years ago. Essentially, it was homemade Bisquick. Saved me a ton of time and money over the years. I still make it, but I revamped the recipe to use butter instead of Crisco, and I often will add 1/2 whole wheat flour. It has to be stored in the fridge, but the improvement in taste and nutrition is worth it.

Thanks for the link. Those mixes can be lifesavers on busy days, when everything seems to come at once, but we're working hard and starving by supper time.

Summerthyme

Awesome BM, thank you.

Yours too Sportsman, thank you.
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

Who is Q?

Thank you soooo much BadMedicine!

I wanted to post earlier but was on my phone which is hard to post from.

Can't wait to dig into the recipes!

By the way, one of my all time favorite threads here is one that you started on Lambsquarters (White goose foot)! http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...=lambsquarters

Everywhere I go now, I look for Lambsquarters because I have wondered if it was a crop local tribes in Washington grew?

I'll also be keeping an I for it at my place in Lebanon, Tn. (mother inlaw's home) The local tribes forever it seems, stayed away from the Lebanon area because of something or 'someone's' hundreds of years ago.

So I'll check to see if the Lambsquarter seeds are really big next time I check up on my nephew who's renting the place. V

Thank you Bad Medicine and SPortsman, awesome stuff!

I hope that dry Cream of Mushroom soup is posted, that's my all time favorite soup.

Totally OT, but I listened to John Wells interview: 879 Then Jason Jarrell, archeological researcher, author and lecturer joins us. The conversation ranges from the ancient Adenas to the Nazis; and the "dots" are all connected. He actually goes into a lot of talk about 'very tall people', and how they were found all over the place. I'd guess that would keep the tribes at a distance.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post

I hope that dry Cream of Mushroom soup is posted, that's my all time favorite soup.

Totally OT, but I listened to John Wells interview: 879 Then Jason Jarrell, archeological researcher, author and lecturer joins us. The conversation ranges from the ancient Adenas to the Nazis; and the "dots" are all connected. He actually goes into a lot of talk about 'very tall people', and how they were found all over the place. I'd guess that would keep the tribes at a distance.
    OT here too...

You were reading my mind Flippper!

And also, some items were churned up after a farmer 'somewhere in Wilson county' disturbed a mound and I'm sure it was well within the city limits.

The items were a soap stone effigy of a white man wearing a robe with a rope belt like in the times of the phoenicians with a long beard and mustache and there were carvings of what looked kind of like Ogham writing on the bottom but a little more stylized?

So I'm thinking that the whites were already mining for centuries in that area and kept the tribes out and after so long and when the whites either died out due to disease or went back to their home, the local tribes by them stayed out due to oral history.

There was also a very elaborately carved 'pipe' that had the equivalent of stylized fluted column like features on it too.

The old owner Frank Buster of Cuz's Antiques in old downtown Lebanon, showed them to me back in Dec. of 2002 if I remember right. He knew I was interested in 'out of place' items and was going to sell them to me but when I held both objects in my hands, I had the Worst migraine! I Never get headaches but very rarely! I *knew* that not only would I not want those 'haunted objects' in my home, but also I was not going to have them on the plane ride home either!

I took a ton of pictures off both items and sent the film in to Walgreens on Rose Hill in Kirkland, Wa. to be developed. Handed the envelope to the guy in the film dept. and took the stub with me.

When it was time to go pick up the pics, I gave them my stub and they couldn't find it.

The employees all gave me this look like they *knew* something I didn't and said, "We don't have your film, we never got it!" with a bit of nervousness in their voices, despite me showing them the claim stub etc.

Something went down there I think and probably reported what they saw on the pics of the antiquities. V

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post

How could you have seen sportsmans post, yet not seen his post?! He posted he cream of anything soup... JUST ADD MUSHROOMS :-P :-P

I knew this was a valuable link when I saw it, before I even explored the book I brought it here. I've seen TONS of awesome stuff on farming and homesteading/ food prep in the far north on their extension site(The University of Alaska Fairbanks, extension service, the site is at the link, ENDLESS homesteading info & free pdfs) , and they give fee & cheeap classes all of the time, I've been to a few. Thanks for the kind words everyone, glad it is useful! I will def be trying the "cream of anything" that was a great contribution here too!!
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Appreciate the recipes!

Just as a reminder, most states have cooperative extension programs, and most have websites of varying usefulness. Google "cooperative extension" and look around.

While, like everything else these days, political influence has crept in to some areas, there is still tons of useful prep information available, much of it in PDF form that makes it simple to print off and create your own hard copies.

Summerthyme

Thank you so much for the recipe.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Thank you Bad Medicine for the PDF recipes and Sportsman for the "Cream of Whatever" Soup!!!

Summertyme beat me to it, we had a thread on this years ago and my main issue was the shortening which back then I couldn't even get in Ireland; and the dangers were just starting to come out.

I will use it but only when making up these sorts of mixes for travel or camping; this is the first list I've seen using oil and I suspect a good non-GMO corn oil or sunflower oil might be interesting to try but again only in cases without a fridge.

Members here did find some of these basic mixes going back to the 30's that did not have shortening and all they just had the addition of butter/oil when making the recipe in question; I was thinking of making some up with butter and freezing them in recipe sized bags - not quite as convenient as a jar on the shelf but we try to use as little shortening as possible.

Even though they claim they are low or non-transfat, my understanding is the process that makes the oils shelf-stable is actually part of the problem and the resulting products an issue; again maybe OK for camping or a few emergency preps but in general to be avoided (in my opinion).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Thank you thank you. I too am looking for the dry cream of mushroom soup recipe

Thank you for posting! Very handy!
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by myrtlemaye View Post
    Thank you thank you. I too am looking for the dry cream of mushroom soup recipe
    me 2

THANK YOU ! Printed out.

Make Your Own Mixes and More Make your Mixes, both written by Mormon ladies were my bibles when I was raising a family.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Make Your Own Mixes and More Make your Mixes, both written by Mormon ladies were my bibles when I was raising a family.
    Mine too! I looked for a replacement copy a few years back, and the few used copies available were over $100 each!

Summerthyme

If it were up to me being a lawyer would be an automatic disqualification from political office.

Mods is there a way to move this thread to Granny's Kitchen now that it is sort of petering out - it has great information and it would be wonderful to have it for easy access later, especially for newcomers?
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Moved.

Summerthyme

Thank you, love to see things like this.

Thank you for moving this, I'll see if I can find more recipes laying around.