Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

INSANITY WHY NEW YORK CITY IS DOOMED
+ Reply to Thread

WHY NEW YORK CITY IS DOOMED

Seriously, New York City now says that a person painting on your building walls has the legal right to do that. Further, if the building owner paints over the "art" he can be forced to pay damages to what are in reality, criminals engaged in vandalism. And people wonder why New York City is such a third world cesspool.

It is the NPR, national public radio web page. The link apparently can't be linked to, or at least I couldn't do it. Here is the article.

New York Judge Awards $6.7 Million To 21 Graffiti Artists For Destroyed Murals

February 13, 201810:35 PM ET
    Emily Sullivan

Emily Sullivan
    Twitter

5Pointz graffiti stands before it was whitewashed in 2013. A New York judge has awarded $6.7 million to 21 graffiti artists whose works were destroyed in the process.
    Bruce Wallace/NPR

Is graffiti art? One court in Brooklyn has decided yes, ruling for spray paint over New York real estate.

On Monday, a judge ruled that a real estate developer who whitewashed dozens of graffiti murals at the 5Pointz complex in Queens violated the Visual Artists Rights Act, "which has been used to protect public art of 'recognized stature' created on someone's else property," according to the New York Times.

Jerry Wolkoff purchased the 200,000-square-foot former factory building in the 1970s for $1 million, according to NBC. Graffiti artists approached him the 1990s, asking if they could display their art on the vacant five-story building. Wolkoff agreed.

5Pointz artist Jonathan Cohen started curating the space in 2002. "I said, '... Let me start this place up, let me have a wall where no ego is involved, and artists could come paint.' Favoritism doesn't really float," he told NPR in 2013. "If you do a good job and your piece comes out amazing, it could last longer. If you don't, then it goes."

In Nov. 2013, Wolkoff decided to demolish the site and build new stores and apartments. By then, 5Pointz was loved and known by New Yorkers and graffiti artists worldwide alike.

The developer contracted painters to whitewash the decades of graffiti away under the cover of night. He told WNYC that he did so to avoid conflict. "It's like a Band-Aid, I just wanted to take one rip off in one time. I felt it was best for them and I," Wolkoff said. "I had tears in my eyes when I painted this morning."

QUEENS, NEW YORK - 5Pointz after it was whitewashed in 2013.
    Bruce Auster for NPR

Though Wolkoff's quiet whitewash prevented physical altercations, it attracted criticism and disdain from the art community.

The move was "murder overnight," rapper Daddy Kruger told WNYC. "It's backhanded, it's underhanded."

The 5Pointz community didn't let Wolkoff's stealthy destruction be forgotten. About 20 graffiti artists filed a lawsuit against the developer in the weeks after the whitewash, and in March 2017, Judge Frederic Block of U.S. District Court in Brooklyn ruled that their case could go to trial.

"Had the appropriate notice been provided, they could have taken steps to remove the art from the building, they could have taken steps to have better photographed and videotaped the art, they could have preserved the art," the artists' lawyer, Eric Baum, told member station WNYC last year.

"They knew it wasn't a permanent thing. They knew it was temporary," Wolkoff responded.

A civil jury in Nov. 2017 found that the developer violated the Visual Artists Rights Act in 45 cases. On Monday, Judge Block upheld the jury's decision, and awarded the artists $6.7 million — the maximum damages possible, according to the Times.

"The graffiti artists are elated by the court's decision in this case. The artists fought to prevent their rights from being trampled on," Baum told NPR. "The decision is a clear indication that graffiti art is in the same category as any other fine art – equally worthy of the protection of the federal law. ... Although the artwork at 5Pointz is gone, its legacy endures."
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

There is nothing wrong with Noo Yawk Citay that a few well distributed megatons wouldn't fix.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

All large cities in the US are doomed for two reasons.....

1) Cities are the apex of civilization but they are the most unsustainable use of real estate in the world. For the concentration of humans per square miles in a major metropolitan area takes a magnitude of land and resources outside of that area to keep the necessary energy, food, water and sewage/waste management intact for such a concentrated high volume use of those requirements. So that when any level of the SHTF scenario might occur.....the city will be the first place to collapse into anarchy.

2) The current demographic of all major metropolitan areas is quickly trending towards those people who have the least interest and/or ability to keep civil behavior within a metropolitan area intact and functional. Additionally, the vast majority of social programs for those people do nothing but encourage their behavior to become an increasing liability to themselves and the environment they reside in.

Add the resource/maintenance requirements of point #1........ to the demographics of point #2........then mix some time with an economic disruption or two within that equation...............and you are doomed.

I don't care for it, but then I don't live there. Graffiti gives me headaches.

Google Images:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.kL0KnIcyx7E
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    All large cities in the US are doomed for two reasons.....

1) Cities are the apex of civilization but they are the most unsustainable use of real estate in the world. For the concentration of humans per square miles in a major metropolitan area takes a magnitude of land and resources outside of that area to keep the necessary energy, food, water and sewage/waste management intact for such a concentrated high volume use of those requirements. So that when any level of the SHTF scenario might occur.....the city will be the first place to collapse into anarchy.

2) The current demographic of all major metropolitan areas is quickly trending towards those people who have the least interest and/or ability to keep civil behavior within a metropolitan area intact and functional. Additionally, the vast majority of social programs for those people do nothing but encourage their behavior to become an increasing liability to themselves and the environment they reside in.

Add the resource/maintenance requirements of point #1........ to the demographics of point #2........then mix some time with an economic disruption or two within that equation...............and you are doomed.
    Yes, and concisely stated. Thankyou. During my over-the-road truck driving days in the early nineties when having your CB radio on constantly was a good thing, I became aware of the filth guaranteed to come out of my radio while driving thru NYC. Since then I take all effort to physically avoid the Devil’s Playground at all times. Nearly thirty years later, I am sure the general “cultural evolution” has been decidedly downhill.
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    I don't care for it, but then I don't live there. Graffiti gives me headaches.

Google Images:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.kL0KnIcyx7E
    So the court rules that an “artist’s” free speech domain includes your property. A right for someone else to put their words on your canvass, or in your mouth so to speak. Time for the court to be reigned in...hard!
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    So the court rules that an “artist’s” free speech domain includes your property. A right for someone else to put their words on your canvass, or in your mouth so to speak. Time for the court to be reigned in...hard!
    I wonder how the court would feel if the graffiti was swastikas and klan stuff?
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    Read the article. He told them it was OK:

Jerry Wolkoff purchased the 200,000-square-foot former factory building in the 1970s for $1 million, according to NBC. Graffiti artists approached him the 1990s, asking if they could display their art on the vacant five-story building. Wolkoff agreed.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Remember that good/horrid movie, "Escape from New York?" I only saw it once. It was too damn prophetic. But I really didn't expect to live to see it come to pass. It's not there yet, but it's getting there quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by willowlady View Post
    Remember that good/horrid movie, "Escape from New York?" I only saw it once. It was too damn prophetic. But I really didn't expect to live to see it come to pass. It's not there yet, but it's getting there quickly.
    I remember that movie. NYC is particularly bad off in that only the Bronx is attached to the mainland. NYC is 8.5 million people in the middle of a 20 million person metro area. You couldn't evacuate NYC if you had a week's notice. The logistics of keeping the city supplied on a daily basis are vast even when the nation's infrastructure is humming along.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Read the article. He told them it was OK:

He did tell them it was okay. But he didn't give the building to them! It was still his property! By that logic, if a business agreed to display your art, they would then have no right to take it back down!

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
    I remember that movie. NYC is particularly bad off in that only the Bronx is attached to the mainland. NYC is 8.5 million people in the middle of a 20 million person metro area. You couldn't evacuate NYC if you had a week's notice. The logistics of keeping the city supplied on a daily basis are vast even when the nation's infrastructure is humming along.
    Yep we need to build a wall around all major citys like NYC.

I love that movie.

Snake was the name of the main actor, the second one about LA was good to.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Graffiti is protected--what about Confederate statues?