Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL White House Proposes Replacing Food Stamp With Pre Packaged Meals Called "America's Harvest Box"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Agree, no one would eat it. Given obesity rates among the welfare class...that might actually be a good thing.
    I'm all for getting rid of food stamps, but I don't see that it ought to be replaced with anything.
    Agreed. I volunteer at a local food pantry once a week. I'd estimate that 80% are overweight, with 50% of them of the grossly obese.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Sounds like a great idea until you see what is proposed to be in the "Harvest Box"

No fresh fruit or veg, no fresh meats, the list I saw was things like peanut butter, pasta (white I'm sure), processed cereal (lovely just carbs and HFCS) ......

...... I have friends on SSD and who are elderly who are on this program who are absolutely terrified of these changes because their diets don't allow them to eat this junk, and they are on the program because they are already ill or way past retirement age......

........I can't think of a better way to make people sicker than they already are then to "supply" them with Captin Crunch, Peanut butter (commercial and full of sugar/HFCS), white pasta and other cheap and processed ......
    This is what this 'WONDERFUL' idea will actually look like. And this, is how you take something, and 'fix' it to screw everyone equally.

I get EBT and the foods that would be in the food box are not ones that I can eat. I eat very low carb, so no grains, sugar, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc. I have to be careful about fruits because most are higher in sugar than I want. So fats and veggies are what I eat the most.

"Experts" would say I am not eating "healthy", but I have found eating this way is healthier than lots of whole grains, and low fat. I have become very sceptical about advise from those who think they know better than I do what is best for me.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

I guess we all need to remember that old adage “beggars can’t be choosers”, or at least they shouldn’t be allowed to be.

If I’m getting something for free...I should do zero complaining.

We have a food ministry from our church. Some of the “poor” people turn their noses up at the game meat provided in the past- “oh, we don’t eat venison or Elk!” Well, it was the same thing I was feeding my family at the time...

Bottom line is some had the entitlement mentality while some were simply grateful. Some were, naturally, scamming us, using us to provide what they needed and then spent their money on lotto tickets, booze, and cigs.

You know, Squib, I could imagine a time when such a system would work, and people would be glad for the food, whatever it was. This would probably involve a breakdown of our current electronic card system, and perhaps the internet, and likely a war scenario.

Right now, these little cards do much more than feed people. They're part of the culture, used as currency substitute for trading purposes, and unfortunately, very expensive.

Suspect this is a trial balloon, and that perhaps there will be stricter limitations on what the EBT cards can buy. The old ask for a pony when you want a kitten trick.

Last month, I saw a book of V rations from the last great war at an auction. Yucko.

How are the street people going to cook? Keep refrigerated items? Will directions for preparation be printed in multi-languages - with pictures?
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

To many issues with this idea. There are still programs that will do a "box" of food for low income households. Most of it is junk. I went, once, with a friend. I ended up giving her most of what was in the box because we couldn't eat it due to food allergies and diet issues.

Better idea - limit foods that are "snacks" or have a primary ingredient of sugar. Do a monthly box of toiletries/household goods - toilet paper, cleaners, basics. The rest is limited to regular foods. Do what some places are doing and offer the equivalent of 2 for 1 for any fresh foods rather than frozen/boxed/etc.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    How are the street people going to cook? Keep refrigerated items? Will directions for preparation be printed in multi-languages - with pictures?
    The "street people" are a whole bundle of issues by themselves far beyond WIC/EBT.....

During Obama's reign the types of places that could accept EBT exploded to include pizza joints, convenience stores, and some types of take out food places as well. How about scaling it back to legitimate grocery stores only along with Melodi's suggestion of a WIC like list of authorized foods and stiff fines imposed on stores that allow any deviation from the approved items? Anyone needing additional supplemental foods can continue making use of the various church food rooms and community food banks as they currently do, and the US Gov't can continue to disburse excess commodities to those organizations as they do now. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Didn't we already do that with the "government cheese" approach?
    Man I ate A LOT of that stuff as a kid, we didn't qualify for it, but after those who did qualify for it took what they wanted and left the rest they started begging people to take it. So we did.

SQUIRREL!!!

The Donald floated this out as a distraction and maybe a trial balloon.

Guaranteed to work the commies up into a foaming tizzy.

He's getting ready to pull off some kind of power play.

Standard MO.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

the harvest box might not be the right answer, but I'm very thankful that at least it's being looked at. This is typical Trump, toss out something that won't work and worries everyone he'll do it, then start negotiating for something more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJacks View Post
    ...Or... make it work more like WIC does with only specific foods qualifying for purchase. It's interesting that they are looking at things but I hope they don't get spread too thin.
    I like this idea.

Judy

Zahra I was appalled when I found out EBT cards were being used in fast food places; the ONLY people who should be allowed to that are families and individuals placed in homeless motels and other emergency housing with no kitchen.

I still think the WIC type list is THE best way forward, I like the idea of a box of supplies; that was the hard thing when I was on food stamps, buying things like toilet paper, laundry liquid and personal hygiene products are not included (or they were not back then) and if your looking for work (or want to keep sanitary) then people need them.

As for the "beggars can't be choosers" that is true but it is also true that feeding people nutritionally useless food that eventually causes all sorts of ill health and disease and/or makes existing health conditions worse; is penny wise and pounds foolish.

The current system has been broken for years because it allows people to buy anything and so many people buy the cheapest food which understandable, but just replacing that with an assigned box of equally empty calories is not an improvement and won't do anything to stop obesity and related health issues in the poorer communities.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by energy_wave View Post
    If this goes through, you will see food tossed in the trash like the lunches at school. Think of the logistics in moving all those meals around. Bad idea, imo. No one is going to eat government food like this.
    That, I believe, is the point. Food stamps were for food, but abuse of user and politician has made them into a negotiable form of cash, most are traded for 50 cents on the dollar cash money. Others are used to buy meats I've never been able to afford, crap no sane person should eat, and other things that are wasteful. If food begins ending up in the trash, he can begin phasing out the free cheese program except to those who actually need food. Clever.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

He who controls the food, controls the people.....

Control thru choice and quality.

I like the idea. Seriously, no more of our money given to buy junk food and the likes, or selling off the stamps at half price to buy cigs or liquor....... Merit.

Devils in the details. I remember seeing a world of food lines back in the day. Compare everything to waiting in line half a day for soup and bread, one meal.

A program built on "volunteers/jobless", can be made highly economically. In a simple world, or a simple format, it could be done, and be efficient and effective. I too have worked a few food pantrys. Same thing on a larger scale. Give them choices within parameters. Take what you will eat, or don't take it. Choice works.

It can be done. Which would really make the libs irate....... imagine, everyone being fed, with choice of nutritionally good foods that taste good. Logistically, fairly easy to do with volunteers who get bonus foods at the end of their shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    SQUIRREL!!!

Standard MO.
    Yup, seems to be his MO and it works. Every. Single. Time.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

I suppose this might be doable "if" someone is in charge that knows that there are people who can't live on white flour products, beef or pork products and can't eat beans!

I used to have to do the food pantry in our little town. There was juice, full of sugar or hfcs. Canned pasta and beans. Some canned fish or beef/pork. They would usually have chicken leg quarters frozen and once in a great while frozen veggies. Canned veggies usually but with salt. Lot's of pasta....lot's of sugary cereals. Dried milk,instant potatoes, etc. You could die of several sources of disease if you tried to eat what they had to give you. It was better to buy less at the grocery store not try to eat all that canned or boxed stuff. I buy fresh or frozen veggies. Fresh fruit, real meat that will not put dh into a massive gout or gastric distress. He can't use milk or diary due to ibs.

Unless someone actually knew what real food is and not just canned junk or boxed calories, this is a bad idea! Scary for elderly who shouldn't eat any of that stuff and if they have family with food allergies, a nightmare.

I think someone is not thinking this thru very well. But then I see a lot of overweight poor in Maine and their food pantries are probably a reason for it. Sheesh.....

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

I think we should give them all the cheese, rice,and beans they want. That is all you need to be healthy and stay alive. I do not think we even owe them that but I am feeling kind at the moment.

I volunteered in a food bank in the post-9/11 recession. We fed elderly widows who lived in campers. They couldn't do much more than heat a can of soup because of utility costs and lack of a proper stove. These boxes won't work for the elderly or disabled, and they probably are just a media distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by teedee View Post
    I think we should give them all the cheese, rice,and beans they want. That is all you need to be healthy and stay alive. I do not think we even owe them that but I am feeling kind at the moment.
    Who are them? That's a large group you are slandering.
    Care to clarify?

SQUIRREL!!!

Standard MO.
    I would rather buy that idea, look at the legitimate complaints here, multiply that by hundreds of thousands attacking this idea...then ban junk food purchases on the EBT. I might see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by flying screwdriver View Post
    I would rather buy that idea, look at the legitimate complaints here, multiply that by hundreds of thousands attacking this idea...then ban junk food purchases on the EBT. I might see that one coming.
    It used to be the case that many items could not be bought with EBT in Illinois. That changed because someone fought through a lawmaker that no one should be able to dictate what another person eats. It went so far as to bar certain higher end cuts of meat, excessive sugar, etc. Now, as long as it's not cooked, you can buy it with the it with the card. And, many fast food places sell their food cold and have microwaves in the seating area. That's creative....

SQUIRREL!!!

Standard MO.
    Considering the lack of MSM coverage of the US wiping out a "Russian contractor" motorized rifle battalion in Syria there are a lot of other things than just the maneuvering in DC to keep on the "down low"....

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    The "street people" are a whole bundle of issues by themselves far beyond WIC/EBT.....
    Abso-freaking-lutely.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by flying screwdriver View Post
    Right. Short Pepsi (MtDew) products and other currently ebt bought junk foods, if this gets legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    You’re probably right about logistics being a pain, but if this is the food they are given, and no money in any form, they will either eat it or maybe sell it for cash (but probably not, they will be hungry)
    End of the day, probably won’t work, unless you put all those people to work making the meals
    2 Thessalonians 3:10 (ESV)

10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Work, or starve- their choice. If found selling or throwing away food, hard labor, until it's paid off.

OldARcher
    "Make haste- slowly." -Marshall Wyatt Earp============ "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." -Kyle Swanson, US Navy SEAL

Eternity is Hell, Without Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior...

Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS!

SQUIRREL!!!

Standard MO.
    Yup. That slipped passed me at first, but it must be a hum dinner of a thing we're being distracted from, given how this rabbit is stirring everyone up.

Still, the times seem to be tailor made for new approaches to old problems. I thought Michelle s white house lawn garden was a good thing. Perhaps we could drum up some bipartisan support for neighborhood/Urban farms that were encouraged or mandated to be a source of some of people's food.

Addresses food deserts, healthy diet, Urban employment, rebuilds food resilience into our society, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Zahra I was appalled when I found out EBT cards were being used in fast food places; the ONLY people who should be allowed to that are families and individuals placed in homeless motels and other emergency housing with no kitchen.

I still think the WIC type list is THE best way forward, I like the idea of a box of supplies; that was the hard thing when I was on food stamps, buying things like toilet paper, laundry liquid and personal hygiene products are not included (or they were not back then) and if your looking for work (or want to keep sanitary) then people need them.

As for the "beggars can't be choosers" that is true but it is also true that feeding people nutritionally useless food that eventually causes all sorts of ill health and disease and/or makes existing health conditions worse; is penny wise and pounds foolish.

The current system has been broken for years because it allows people to buy anything and so many people buy the cheapest food which understandable, but just replacing that with an assigned box of equally empty calories is not an improvement and won't do anything to stop obesity and related health issues in the poorer communities.
    Melodi, EBT people can buy anything they want with an EBT card! Why do you think they are fat and unhealthy? Ever been approached to buy a fully loaded EBT card for $50 cash and get $100 in food - anything I want to buy. It's a scam! Furthermore, cut their healthcare too!

Wish I could buy lobster and Porterhouse steaks on other people's money!

Quote Originally Posted by teedee View Post
    We don't owe people sustenance, true. Fortunately, we've decided as a people that hands, and help, will be extended.

The stories that make our heads explode stand out, but there are many examples, even on this forum, where aid of some sort was used appropriately, and the Transition was made to being fully self supporting, as was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    How about a free ticket to where they came from?

They will understand the language there.

All of you should remember that this kind of program was not ment to be a life time thing. It was ment too get you and your family through a month or two of hard times so you could get back on you own feet after a personal disaster.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

food stamps are by design a fraud

"progressives" - progressively destroying America for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Don't eat "Government Food".
    Or, yellow snow.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

if they can go to the store

they can go to distribution site to pick up

I watched a vid yesterday (here?) of a group giving out bags of food

folks would grab a bag, walk around the corner, and someone was there to buy it

they went back and got another.. yadayadayada

AND.. the cans were tossed in the street

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Melodi, EBT people can buy anything they want with an EBT card! Why do you think they are fat and unhealthy? Ever been approached to buy a fully loaded EBT card for $50 cash and get $100 in food - anything I want to buy. It's a scam! Furthermore, cut their healthcare too!

That kind of purchase, if done by the truly needy is stupid as it would last maybe three days. It should also pull up an alarm somewhere and that person looked into-visually to see WTF is really going on.

I think a better way to go is to remove all soda, cakes, pies, ice creams, ccandy, most pre-packaged and frozen 'Meals' along with stupid crap like sweetened kids cereals, keep it basic-basic meats, basoc veggies, fruits, canned and dried goods-people need to learn to cook so make a cooking class necessary to get the FS. Get rid of the non-essential, non-nutritous items, less [people will use them.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post

That was true even when I was on "food stamps" in the 1980's and it made me furious, the only steak I bought was on the markdown table and I either used it to make the stew or froze for things like birthdays.

But that is still supermarket meat, not fast food, it was buying fast-food that REALLY upset me (again except for people in emergency motels/no kitchens and that would be temporary).

I remember the State plan to restrict what people could buy - the again good idea in theory but it didn't make sense because it "banned" things like "large packages of dried beans," and "fresh potatoes," along with the obvious soft drinks.

That only makes sense if you are TRYING to keep people from being able to be frugal and feed themselves, the potatoes excuse was that "poor people eat too many potatoes" but there is a huge difference between frozen processed reconstituted "French Fries" and a baked potato (or homemade fries with olive oil) - the first is empty calories, the second is perfectly nutritional when served properly (for those able to eat some natural carbs).

The problem here really is largely the food industry lobby that has no interest in public health what-so-ever; they don't care if the poorest people are often also the fattest.

They don't want their gravy train of EBT/Food stamps being stopped from buying the products that are the cheapest for them to make and gain the most profit margins which are, for the most part, bottles of "sugar" (GMO corn syrup) water and empty calories full of sugar/salt/fat/cabs that they process with artificial flavors to look like food.

Boxes full of that junk will still be paid for by the government under this plan, which is why calling it a so-called "Harvest Box" is so offensive IF the contents are as stated in the articles.

I am also well aware of food stamp/EBT as money - heck the store clerk in the 1980's taught me how to do it (buy cheap candy and get the change) so I could by soap and toilet paper - he said:

"Most people just buy beer with the change, it is nice to see someone who actually is trying to take care of their personal needs."
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by SSTemplar View Post
    All of you should remember that this kind of program was not ment to be a life time thing. It was ment too get you and your family through a month or two of hard times so you could get back on you own feet after a personal disaster.
    For many frail elderly and the disabled on this program, I'm afraid the disaster is relatively permanent.

They are also the people least able to eat the food in the so-called "Harvest" box and the folks who are the most likely to shop wisely in the first place (given the cards).

I was going to keep my mouth shut on this topic but I just can't. Some of you disgust me to the point of making me sick!
    When I lost my husband my income was cut to LESS THAN HALF. I had no choice but to apply for SNAP.
    Cash? WHAT CASH? I can't get toilet paper, soap even toothpaste without counting out pennies! I buy REDUCED meat and stretch it out. I don't buy boxed food. I have whats called broken heart syndrome. GOOGLE IT. I can't have all the sodium in those. I cook from scratch and freeze leftovers. Believe me ONE doughnut would be a treat to be able to buy.
    No work no eat? Jesus said HIMSELF to care for the widows and children! AND He said 'do thee to the least of my children do thee also unto me'
    I have Guido, there are days when I have to feed him a can of cheap tuna!
    I'm 63 years old with health problems, YOU going to hire me?
    My husbands medication cost me nearly $700 a month. Don't believe it? A member here SAW the bottles when she visited.
    Yes, you guys did a fundraiser for me. It ended up being JUST enough to have Rick creamated. My husband doesn't even have a real urn!
    So all of you who think SNAP is only for the 'lazy good for nothings' try being in my shoes.
    I don't even know how long I'll have a roof over my head. Waiting lists for senior housing are a MINIMUM of 2 years.
    I'm dealing with the loss of my husband, money problems so bad I can't afford toilet paper, health issues and reading things on this thread that make me puke.
    I'm done. May some of you NEVER deal with half of what I've gone through or am dealing with now. But karma does have a tendency to bite you in the arsk.
    When you care to send the very best, send an Army Ranger!