Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 169 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,200 of 6743
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    I think I find these volcanoes as worrisome as any of the other stuff on this thread.

Just what we need about now...another Year-without-a-Summer.
    Yep, I agree. I still hold the thought that the cumulative effect of all that ash must count for something. We've been having red sunsets for quite a while now, so much so that it makes a person think of Mars. We always have beautiful, vivid sunsets, but so many deep red ones are just not our normal.

https://www.iceagenow.info/a-repeat-...solar-minimum/

A repeat of the Dalton Grand Solar Minimum?
    October 21, 2019 by Robert

Also the Maunder Grand Solar Minimum

This in reference to the Canadian Prairies being Buried in winter at the beginning of autumn.

I would suggest that exactly the same occurred, shortly before the end of Solar Cycle 11 and the start of Solar Cycle 12 during the Dalton Grand solar Minimum 1790 to 1820.

I would also suggest the same occurred during many of the cycles of Maunders starting around 1600 and continuing until 1740.

https://images.sunlive.co.nz/images/...der-Blog-2.jpg
    Attached Images

https://www.sott.net/article/422377-...r-latest-storm

Casper Mountain in Wyoming sees 14 inches of early snow cover after latest storm

Brendan LaChance
    Oil City News
    Mon, 21 Oct 2019 18:32 UTC

Casper Mountain saw over a foot of snow fall over the weekend.

As of Monday, Oct. 21, the Casper Mountain Snotel recorded 14 inches of snow cover.

That is according to the National Weather Service's Riverton office.

Snow is likely in the mountains from Tuesday-Thursday, the NWS says. Snow is also possible in lower elevations.

https://electroverse.net/uk-and-irel...y-season-snow/

(Please go to the link for graphics)

Models Gain Confidence: UK and Ireland on course for Heavy Early Season Snow this Week
    October 21, 2019 Cap Allon

The Global Forecast System (GFS) is gaining confidence — a potentially historic bout of early-season cold and snow is forecast to wallop the UK & Ireland this Friday evening, October 25.

Scottish Mountains received an early taster of what’s to come yesterday, Sunday, October 20, when “lots of snow” fell on Cairngorm Mountain, as reported by @UKsnow_updates on twitter: (graphic)

And now latest GFS runs appear to be doubling-down on the next and potentially historic bout of biting Arctic air, on course to hit Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland and even Northern England later this week.

According to the models, we’re now just 90hrs out.

All-time monthly low temperature records are under-threat with the mercury set to sink well-below freezing in some sheltered northern spots, and as much as 16C below the seasonal-average across Southern Ireland: (graphic)

The Arctic air will deliver a potent weather front, too.

Heavy snow, for the time of year, is expected across Scotland and Northern Ireland beginning Friday evening, but it’s the island of Ireland which looks set to cop the worst of it. And even the higher elevations of Northern England could be on the end of some impressive totals.

All-time October snowfall records are also under threat, as over 20 cm (8 inches) could accumulate: (graphic)

All this powder will add to the early falls seen across North America of late, along with the record amounts of pack that survived 2019’s summer melt season.

Against all the global warming odds, this years Total Snow Mass for the NH is off to a colossal head start: (graphic)

The cold times are returning in line with historically low solar activity.

NASA has recently revealed this next solar cycle (25) will be “the weakest of the past 200 years,” with the agency correlating previous solar shutdowns to prolonged periods of global cooling here.

Prepare

https://electroverse.net/south-islan...y-spring-snow/

(Please go to the link for graphics)

New Zealand: MetService warns South Island Farmers to brace for Heavy Spring Snow during Lambing and Calving Season
    October 21, 2019 Cap Allon

Yet another spring snowstorm is forecast to batter NZ’s South Island this week, with the cold and accumulating snow expected to have a “severe impact” on farmers during lambing and calving season.

MetService has issued a “heavy snow watch” from South Canterbury’s Rangitata River to Wanaka and Naseby in Otago, for Tuesday evening — with “flurries expected on-and-off for the rest of the week”.

MetService meteorologist Kyle Lee urged South Cantabrians to secure outdoor possessions ahead of the wind, rain and snow expected to batter the region this week. (graphic)

“The whole South Island can expect to see wet and windy weather tomorrow [Tuesday] with snow lowering to as low as 300 metres in inland parts of Canterbury, the heaviest snow above 500m,” Lee said. “Although it is not common to get snow this low at this time of year, we’ve seen it before during those cooler, more unsettled spring seasons.”

(graphics)

Jason Grant, Federated Farmers South Canterbury branch president, adds that the forecast snow “will have a severe impact on lambs and ewes wanting to get a bit of grass”.

Another front is expected to hit the region on Saturday, making for a poor start to Labour Weekend.

NASA has recently revealed this next solar cycle (25) will be “the weakest of the past 200 years,” with the agency correlating previous solar shutdowns to prolonged periods of global cooling here. )graphic)

Prepare

TxGal, there's a new post up on the Surviving the Super Grand Solar Minimum blog.

I can't really read much of that white on black, but this one is titled "The Gate to a Grand Future" and looks like a real piece of Super Grand Optimism. Might be good.

TxGal, there's a new post up on the Surviving the Super Grand Solar Minimum blog.

I can't really read much of that white on black, but this one is titled "The Gate to a Grand Future" and looks like a real piece of Super Grand Optimism. Might be good.
    Thank you! working on it now....

https://survivingthesupergrandsolarm....blogspot.com/

Surviving the Super Grand Solar Minimum

Monday, October 21, 2019

The Gate to a Grand Future

Humanity seem to have come to a branch in the road. We have come to a point where it is possible to completely destroy everything we have created the last 300 years. We have also come to a point where we can create a wonderful world. We have the tools, mind and spirit to create a Grand Future if we only choose it. The only problem with creating a grand future is that the gate that opens to this future is closed. There are those who don't want the gate to be opened, and will do anything to keep it closed. I don't know if you have noticed lately, but you are hearing and seeing things all over the world where people are fed up with their supposedly leaders. They are being oppressed and taxed into destitution. It seems that globalism is good and being nationalistic is really evil.

Those that are part of the global cabal will stop at nothing to suppress all the nationalistic leanings of the global population.

One of the really wonderful things about my travels in my prior life was all the enjoyable things that nationalism brings to a country. Who wants to be a homogenized lump of global goo? I can almost guarantee that the globalist will crash the system if this gets any worse.

While we are not rioting in the streets here in the US, it is happening all over the planet. If our sleazy representatives keep going in the direction they are going we could see that happen here. I sure don't want that to happen, but like any person if you push me enough, I will push back.

The problem of The Gate to a Grand Future not being opened is caused by what I see as the US and the world being a "You Get What You Deserve Country". So what do you get when you do nothing? You don't get to decide what you get. You get what someone else wants you to get. At this moment that is exactly what you are getting, and you are getting less and less of the things you need as a free human. So where is this going?

First let us look at the future when the gate is finally opened. More than likely there will be many fewer people alive to make the trip. One wonderful thing will be that it will be a new world, and certainly not a New World Order. The global cabal will be gone, dead, buried and in pain for their evil deeds.

The new world will be populated by people who appreciate and see the wonderful qualities of the human race. There is no war, hate or greed. There is a bountiful abundance of love. Not perfect love but love chosen using our freewill. In this wonderful new world there is peace and prosperity and a blessed existence. It is a place where everyone can see each other as a brother or sister. There is no hunger and the earth is a beautiful bountiful place and is nourished and appreciated as a blessing. It is a place where children safely run and play. It is a place where we take care of each other. It is not a perfect place, but because of our past, we can make it as perfect as possible in the future. In the new world there is an abundance of free energy. Visiting planets will be as easy as going to a grocery store. Things that we thought were impossible will be. Disease will not exist.

So one day The Gate to a Grand Future will open and out of it will come a new world. There will be a small remnant community and they will be peaceful and loving. Those who are lost will see this and seek them out. The world will be at peace hopefully for a thousand years.

What lies between now and The Gate to a Grand Future.

Well I have talked about this in other blogs. This is something we all will have to go through. The global cabal will make us go through what is listed in the graphic on the left. There is no way around it.

While I have not listed it, there will probably be war caused by a collapse of our global food system. What others have others will want.

This period is just now starting. Depending on how fast the SGSM or Ice Age starts, will determine how fast and extensive it will be. I am hoping that it will play out fast, and all our nationalistic friends will get together and stop all this craziness of a global world. While that would be wonderful, it would take billions of people to stop then. This is probably not a reality as we all seem to be those useless eaters the globalist talk about.

No matter how bad it gets, there is a Gate to a Grand Future out there and is a part of humanity's future.

Well it cooled of a bit more here in Central Texas. There was some beautiful lightning last night.

Thanks for reading my blog. Think about The Gate to a Grand Future. Its there, we just have to open it.

Cheers and best of everything
    Dennis

I found out this afternoon that the T-poles I put in the chicken pen did NOT help the rain water to drain off. I absolutely need an inclined, built roof on it and I just don't know what to do.

Even if I could find someone to do the job my nephew promised, actually literally promised, to do way last winter/spring, I'd be afraid someone else would let the chickens escape.

Now I just don't know what to do. Do I hang things to act as gutters and let the water drain into holes in the tarp and be guttered out to the edge of the pen? And make sure I go out often and keep all the leaves and pine needles raked off the top so the drain holes don't get clogged?

Times like this, I almost wish I could move into an apartment. Almost.

This one seems to be more of a 'think' piece....not necessary a bad thing.

FYI in case you haven't heard, there is a bigger cold front coming in Thursday night into Friday morning for us, and I'm guessing it's headed for you, too. This one is supposed to be more intense. These night storms are just horrible.

I found out this afternoon that the T-poles I put in the chicken pen did NOT help the rain water to drain off. I absolutely need an inclined, built roof on it and I just don't know what to do.

Even if I could find someone to do the job my nephew promised, actually literally promised, to do way last winter/spring, I'd be afraid someone else would let the chickens escape.

Now I just don't know what to do. Do I hang things to act as gutters and let the water drain into holes in the tarp and be guttered out to the edge of the pen? And make sure I go out often and keep all the leaves and pine needles raked off the top so the drain holes don't get clogged?

Times like this, I almost wish I could move into an apartment. Almost.
    I'm not sure exactly how your pen is set up, so this may not help. Our chicken house is really a garden shed, and we have two enclosed runs attached to it one side. Those are both 2x4 framing with cedar 2x4s we put a few extra into the top of each, and screwed metal roofing over it (after we enclosed the entire thing in hardware cloth). Under the metal roof on the front we put in something like wood slats to raise up the front and give a bit of a slope for run off. It usually works pretty well.

With our duck housing, we had to build it in a hurry. We built it into a corner of our wood fencing, so only had to add two sides. We made one side lower than the other side which runs against the fence (I hope this makes sense). Because it was lower, the metal roof we put on also slopes on one side. This one is not big enough to walk into, we have to bend over. Don't recommend that at our age, but we were under a time constraint.

Can you make a slant roof in your pen in any way, with 2x4s? Almost like a mini pole barn slanted in one direction?

TxGal. the slant roof is what my nephew was going to build for me. I used to do things like this myself, but most days I can't even climb a ladder any more. And swinging a hammer is no picnic, either.

I built a very nice, very ugly goat shed way back when, all out of fence posts and scrap lumber, with a metal roof. Just in the last year or two has it started falling apart and that's mostly just one wall make of odd non-treated scrap planks.

I know what needs to be done for a new chicken pen roof, I just can't do it myself now and it seems there is NO ONE who is willing to work on stuff like this nowadays.

Here's something I would really like to know.......why does it take months and months to built a house? It used to take a few weeks at most, even for the bigger ones. My nephew is building one for another nephew, and it was supposed to be done in September, then changed to October and then Thanksgiving and recently it was found out that it MIGHT be done by the first of the year! I can't believe it takes so long! Are these crews trying to work several jobs at once as well as work around the bad weather? In this case the house is all enclosed now and it still needs two more months at the least to be finished?????

TxGal. the slant roof is what my nephew was going to build for me. I used to do things like this myself, but most days I can't even climb a ladder any more. And swinging a hammer is no picnic, either.

I built a very nice, very ugly goat shed way back when, all out of fence posts and scrap lumber, with a metal roof. Just in the last year or two has it started falling apart and that's mostly just one wall make of odd non-treated scrap planks.

I know what needs to be done for a new chicken pen roof, I just can't do it myself now and it seems there is NO ONE who is willing to work on stuff like this nowadays.

Here's something I would really like to know.......why does it take months and months to built a house? It used to take a few weeks at most, even for the bigger ones. My nephew is building one for another nephew, and it was supposed to be done in September, then changed to October and then Thanksgiving and recently it was found out that it MIGHT be done by the first of the year! I can't believe it takes so long! Are these crews trying to work several jobs at once as well as work around the bad weather? In this case the house is all enclosed now and it still needs two more months at the least to be finished?????
    On the house, I can guess they are working multiple jobs at one time...I think that's how most do it now. Subcontracting does that often...

I can't do much of that stuff anymore by myself, either, and more and more we're finding because of old injuries and age the two of us can't handle a lot of stuff We've gotten more selective with what we'll do on our own. It's a real adjustment, in many ways.

I figured you knew what you needed. Dang, I'm trying to think of a work around for you... how high is your chicken pen?

Chicken pen is roughly 7 ft. high. The frame is 4x4 posts set in the ground and the cross bars at the top are 2 x 4s wet into joist hangers. There are three sections to this pen so adding the size of the posts to the lengths of the crossbars, the pen is 24' plus x 8ft. plus. It attached to my big main garden and is a little lower where it attaches. I need to beef up both long sides of the pen with 2 x 6's attached to the posts, as the present crossbars would never support roof joists and steel corregated roofing. The joists would rest on the 2 x 6's which would be higher where the pen attaches to the big garden and therefore would drain very nicely. I planed to cover only two of the three eight foot sections of the pen with the steel roofing but considering the GSM, I thought it might be better to do the entire roof and hope the birds get enough sun from the open end where they would get it from both the south and the east.

I had even considered using treated plywood for a roof and sealing the seams really well and then painting it to shed water, but 8 ft. isn't long enough to provide the overhang I prefer and the nephew said he had a lot of leftovers of the steel roofing and I don't care if it's more than one color. It would have all worked out very nicely, if he had just kept his promise. I can handle "better late than never," but it's harder to deal with a broken promise.

It is just hateful to know exactly what to do and not be able to do it!!!!!

Chicken pen is roughly 7 ft. high. The frame is 4x4 posts set in the ground and the cross bars at the top are 2 x 4s wet into joist hangers. There are three sections to this pen so adding the size of the posts to the lengths of the crossbars, the pen is 24' plus x 8ft. plus. It attached to my big main garden and is a little lower where it attaches. I need to beef up both long sides of the pen with 2 x 6's attached to the posts, as the present crossbars would never support roof joists and steel corregated roofing. The joists would rest on the 2 x 6's which would be higher where the pen attaches to the big garden and therefore would drain very nicely. I planed to cover only two of the three eight foot sections of the pen with the steel roofing but considering the GSM, I thought it might be better to do the entire roof and hope the birds get enough sun from the open end where they would get it from both the south and the east.

I had even considered using treated plywood for a roof and sealing the seams really well and then painting it to shed water, but 8 ft. isn't long enough to provide the overhang I prefer and the nephew said he had a lot of leftovers of the steel roofing and I don't care if it's more than one color. It would have all worked out very nicely, if he had just kept his promise. I can handle "better late than never," but it's harder to deal with a broken promise.

It is just hateful to know exactly what to do and not be able to do it!!!!!
    Wow, that is a tall pen!! And a substantial one! I understand your frustration, and sense of urgency. I don't guess you'd want to ask your nephew if he could find the time to do it.

Hmmm, another option - maybe call your local realtor and ask for a referral for a handyman? For a handyman this is not a big job. Just thinking outside the box again. Maybe ask at the feed store or Ace Hardware? They know you, and might know of someone trustworthy and reasonable.

TxGal, I would love to ask my nephew if he'd do it. And he does good work! But he doesn't return messages, and the best way of late is to get my brother to text him to call me or stop by, but he doesn't even respond to that any more, which makes me think he's avoiding me and knows damned well what he's done.

I plan on calling his land line and leaving a message reminding him that he actually PROMISED to do this job and see if that gets any response. If he doesn't respond, then I'll next call when I know he's home and see if he'll pick up the phone. If he still doesn't get back to me, I may have to leave another message this time asking him how Christian is a four-times-a-week church-goer who thinks it's okay to break promises? This might not be very nice, but neither is how he's treated me. He's done the same thing to my sister and it's been over a year for her, not just since early last spring like me.

(Can you tell I'm upset?)

I don't have a "local realtor" and I've already asked at more than one store, with no result. I even called someone in my area here that the bird lady told me about and gave me his number, I think she called him, too, to expect my call. I left a message on his machine and he never called back.

I'm beginning to think I would have saved myself a lot of grief, and a good deal of money, by buying two or three cases of freeze-dried scrambled eggs in #10 cans, even as expensive as they've gotten lately.

TxGal, I would love to ask my nephew if he'd do it. And he does good work! But he doesn't return messages, and the best way of late is to get my brother to text him to call me or stop by, but he doesn't even respond to that any more, which makes me think he's avoiding me and knows damned well what he's done.

I plan on calling his land line and leaving a message reminding him that he actually PROMISED to do this job and see if that gets any response. If he doesn't respond, then I'll next call when I know he's home and see if he'll pick up the phone. If he still doesn't get back to me, I may have to leave another message this time asking him how Christian is a four-times-a-week church-goer who thinks it's okay to break promises? This might not be very nice, but neither is how he's treated me. He's done the same thing to my sister and it's been over a year for her, not just since early last spring like me.

I don't have a "local realtor" and I've already asked at more than one store, with no result. I even called someone in my area here that the bird lady told me about and gave me his number, I think she called him, too, to expect my call. I left a message on his machine and he never called back.

I'm beginning to think I would have saved myself a lot of grief, and a good deal of money, by buying two or three cases of freeze-dried scrambled eggs in #10 cans, even as expensive as they've gotten lately.
    geeze, I wish I lived closer to you, my husband can build anything..so sorry you are having problems..

Thanks, flame. I'm hoping I can figure something out before real cold weather gets here. Even if it means mending leaks with Gorilla Tape and catching the main ones in barrels covered with screens against mosquitoes. The main idea is to keep the rain from pooling in the tarp on the top of the pen. It's been the pine needles clogging the drain holes and then the weight of collected water that has broken the upper frame pieces.

If I can't find anyone to fix the whole mess, the big thing will be to catch the bigger leaks and channel them out of the pen, and then keep the top cleaned off so that the drain holes don't get plugged and allow the water to accumulate and get super heavy.

There's always a way. I'll just have to think of one that I can do by myself.

At least my life isn't boring! This GSM and all the related preps are a real ongoing adventure, and what's an adventure without a few challenges?

Good grief!! I have to wonder if there isn't something going on with your nephew...that's just odd. And my other suggestions aren't working...ugh....gotta think more.

It might be easier to buy FD eggs, but you seem to really like your chickens.

Another off the wall idea - what if you put the idea of covering the run aside for now and get one of those 4 ft kennels like at TSC we talked about a while ago or something similar, and 'attached' it to your big run as a side building or bump-out, and covered that with tarp/plastic, and cut a whole in your run where it attaches so they can come and go as they please? Even a big (I don't know, like 4x4x4 or something, maybe smaller) wooden box attached that they could come and go in would keep out most water and give them a warm, sheltered area to go into.

Adapt 2030 has a new podcast out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10YA7g7StZ0

(MIAC #242) Alarm Bells: Forecasting Food Prices Divide & Conquer Right Now

Run time is 26:57

Jason Liosatos host of Global Peace Radio and Outside the Box YT Channel with David DuByne of ADAPT 2030 discuss changes in a seemingly insane society as food prices are increasing, electromagnetic changes in the Sun are happening causing crop losses as the worlds population wanders through a hazy slumber. What is the solution for this on a personal level where 400 years cycles meet modern culture.

Oh Hell's Bells, Shiveluch blew to 36,000 feet again!

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcanoes/today.html

Volcanoes Today, 22 Oct 2019: Popocatépetl volcano, Shiveluch, Dukono, Reventador, Sakurajima, Nevados de Chillán, Aso, Sabancaya
    Tuesday Oct 22, 2019 13:00 PM | BY: VN

Shiveluch (Kamchatka): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Anchorage warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 36000 ft (11000 m) altitude or flight level 360 and is moving at 45 kts in ESE direction.
    The full report is as follows: VA FM 20191021/1240Z ERUPTION to 36000 ft (11000 m)

Ebeko (Paramushir Island): (22 Oct) Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Tokyo (VAAC) issued the following report: ERUPTION AT 20191021/2327Z FL120 EXTD E REPORTED OBS VA DTG:21/2340Z

Aso (central Kyushu, Japan): Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Tokyo (VAAC) issued the following report: ACTIVITY CONT. VA AT 20191022/1200Z FL080 EXTD NE OBS VA DTG:22/1150Z

Sakurajima (Kyushu, Japan): Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Tokyo (VAAC) issued the following report: ERUPTED AT 20191022/0147Z FL080 EXTD E OBS VA DTG:22/0140Z

Dukono (Halmahera): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Darwin warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 7000 ft (2100 m) altitude or flight level 070 .
    The full report is as follows: VA TO FL070 MOV W LAST OBS 22/0830Z EST VA DTG:22/1030Z to 7000 ft (2100 m)

Metis Shoal (Tonga, Tonga Islands): Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Wellington (VAAC) issued the following report: INTERMITTENT ERUPTION, NO ASH IDENTIFIED.

Popocatépetl (Central Mexico): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Washington warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 20000 ft (6100 m) altitude or flight level 200 and is moving at 15-20 kts in NW direction.
    The full report is as follows: CONT VA EMS to 20000 ft (6100 m)

Reventador (Ecuador): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Washington warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 14000 ft (4300 m) altitude or flight level 140 .
    The full report is as follows: NEW VA EMS to 14000 ft (4300 m)

Sabancaya (Peru): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Buenos Aires warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 26000 ft (7900 m) altitude or flight level 260 and is moving at 20 kts in NE direction.
    The full report is as follows: INTERMITTENT EMISSIONS OF VA to 26000 ft (7900 m)

Copahue (Chile/Argentina): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Buenos Aires warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 13000 ft (4000 m) altitude or flight level 130 and is moving at 20 kts in NE direction.
    The full report is as follows: CONT EMISSIONS OF LGT VA to 13000 ft (4000 m)

Nevados de Chillán (Central Chile): Explosive activity continues. Volcanic Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) Buenos Aires warned about a volcanic ash plume that rose up to estimated 14000 ft (4300 m) altitude or flight level 140 .
    The full report is as follows: INTERMITTENT EMISSIONS OF VA to 14000 ft (4300 m)

Kinda looks like Shiveluch is going to be the one that does us in, as far as gardening goes for the next few years. I do think that if there's one or two more of these big eruptions, I'll just give up trying to garden at all. If I plant anything in my greenhouse, maybe it will be green stuff for chickens and for rabbits if I end up getting any. I can still find dandelion outside right now and perhaps I'd best start moving them into the greenhouse right now. There may still be some plantain out there, too. And I have all that wheat seed I just bought and I don't think it's too late to plant it in the greenhouse.
    --------
    I think I might just end up getting a ten-foot square dog kennel that has the door in one side. I was told I can order two extra panels, which I'd use for a top rather than to extend the sides. This would contain the chickens very nicely and be relatively easy to cover with tarp. A big enough tarp could wrap it just like a Christmas present. I could cover the side with the door, facing south for winter sun, with clear vinyl and I already have a 25 foot roll of it, which would be plenty for a 6' x'10 area.

I would still look for someone to build me a new roof on the troublesome pen, but the kennel pen would give me time, and would keep the birds warm and dry until the bigger problem gets solved. And the kennel could always be used for something else when no longer needed for the chickens. With clear plastic on it, it would even make a dandy little 10' x 10' greenhouse. Under a big shade tree, it would make a very nice rabbit house, too and would get plenty of winter sun when the leaves fell off of the tree.

I AM going to solve this problem one way or another!

Kinda looks like Shiveluch is going to be the one that does us in, as far as gardening goes for the next few years. I do think that if there's one or two more of these big eruptions, I'll just give up trying to garden at all. If I plant anything in my greenhouse, maybe it will be green stuff for chickens and for rabbits if I end up getting any. I can still find dandelion outside right now and perhaps I'd best start moving them into the greenhouse right now. There may still be some plantain out there, too. And I have all that wheat seed I just bought and I don't think it's too late to plant it in the greenhouse.
    --------
    I think I might just end up getting a ten-foot square dog kennel that has the door in one side. I was told I can order two extra panels, which I'd use for a top rather than to extend the sides. This would contain the chickens very nicely and be relatively easy to cover with tarp. A big enough tarp could wrap it just like a Christmas present. I could cover the side with the door, facing south for winter sun, with clear vinyl and I already have a 25 foot roll of it, which would be plenty for a 6' x'10 area.

I would still look for someone to build me a new roof on the troublesome pen, but the kennel pen would give me time, and would keep the birds warm and dry until the bigger problem gets solved. And the kennel could always be used for something else when no longer needed for the chickens. With clear plastic on it, it would even make a dandy little 10' x 10' greenhouse. Under a big shade tree, it would make a very nice rabbit house, too and would get plenty of winter sun when the leaves fell off of the tree.

I AM going to solve this problem one way or another!
    That's the spirit! Sounds like you've figured out a good solution that doesn't take a huge amount of effort or time. It is a short-term fix, but totally workable and useful for both you and the chickens. I know you'll make it critter proof, too :-)

Folks - we'd all best be thinking of our gardening seed needs for next spring, and don't procrastinate in getting orders in:

https://www.iceagenow.info/idaho-ear...ge/#more-29757

Idaho – Early cold could lead to seed shortage
    October 22, 2019 by Robert

Just as I’ve been warning – Planting delayed in the spring, then harvesting hampered in the fall.

The early wave of low temperatures last week froze crops throughout Idaho, threatening onion and potato crops along with sweet corn seed and dry beans.

This is no small problem, because Treasure Valley produces over 60% of the world’s temperate sweet corn seed, and, along with eastern Oregon and the Magic Valley, about 95% of the world’s dry bean seed.

With last week’s uncharacteristically cold weather — lows in the 20s and low-30s — up to one fifth of the valley’s sweet corn seed and 15% of the dry bean seed could be lost.

“The world market may see a shortage of sweet corn,“ said George Crookham, CEO of Crookham Company in Caldwell, Idaho.

Canyon County is one of the top five seed production areas in the world, according to the Idaho-Eastern Oregon Seed Association.

Planting delayed in the spring, then harvesting hampered in the fall

Don Tolmie, production manager for Treasure Valley Seed Company, said dry beans were affected by the cold because planting started later this spring.

There were about 15 days of cold weather around the time dry beans are planted in May, said Tolmie. “That stopped us from planting anything until first 10 days of June.”

Because of the late planting, many beans were still in the ground waiting to mature last week, said Tolmie. If beans are not able to endure the cold, they will deteriorate in the pod.

Same with onions and potatoes

In Eastern Idaho, about 15% of the state’s potatoes were still in the ground when it froze last week, said Shawn Boyle, president and general counsel of the Idaho Grower Shippers Association.

Boyle said potato farmers also saw unseasonably cool temperatures this spring, and were behind schedule this year.
    “We will be throwing away a lot of bad ones this year,” Boyle added.

“This is not typical and, in fact, most people would say the last time we had a situation like this was 1985,” Boyle said.

The Idaho Grower Shippers Association is seeking a disaster declaration.

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...f991c4778.html
    Thanks to Dennis DeLaurier for this link

----------------------------------------------------------------

ETA: We went to Costco this morning for our usual stock-up run, and there were NO red potatoes at all. Plenty of bakers and the yellow gold potatoes, but not a single red potato. This is not the first time we noticed that. This is not good.
    Last edited by TxGal; 10-22-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: adding a note

I don't recall seeing this Adapt 2030 podcast before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qupXrskcdcY

Are Grain Exports Being Withheld by Countries (903)
    6,541 views•Oct 21, 2019

Run time is 6:51

San Francisco tests the EMS broadcasting system referencing the 1989 Earthquake and it seem so many countries across the planet are with holding r decreasing outbound grain exports. China setting up for South American grain deliveries forever with new ports and the understanding that during the Maunder Minimum South American temperatures changed very little compared to the N. Hemisphere.

I will check red potatoes next time I go shopping.

I'll bet DuByne just forgot to post that short podcast. I hadn't seen it before, either.

Front porch got cleaned out today. Now I'll have to train Millie to go there to get to her(?) bowls of food and I'll have to rotate her(?) schedule to evenings so I can get her(?) in there then close the kitty door for the night. Each morning I'll open the kitty door and bring in the food dishes. Doing this should help keep from attracting varmints.
    -----
    I left a message on my nephew's cell, saying that the chicken pen roof repair situation has gotten desperate. Hoping he'll actually answer my call, but I'm not gonna hold my breath!
    Last edited by Martinhouse; 10-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Good new! My nephew actually returned my call just now! He said he an't find time to do my job, but one of his men doesn't have weekend obligations and would be glad to get the extra work. He will have him call me when he gets to work tomorrow morning. Nephew said he'd vouch for him totally... a good honest family man an da good worker. This guy lives close out where I live and he will stop by to see what's needed and then he's going to go to my nephew's place up the road and rummage for all the materials he can find in the scrap piles, to save me some money.

Now I just have to hope that this will work out okay and doesn't take too long. Ten days from now we are probably goingto start having freezing nights.

Good new! My nephew actually returned my call just now! He said he an't find time to do my job, but one of his men doesn't have weekend obligations and would be glad to get the extra work. He will have him call me when he gets to work tomorrow morning. Nephew said he'd vouch for him totally... a good honest family man an da good worker. This guy lives close out where I live and he will stop by to see what's needed and then he's going to go to my nephew's place up the road and rummage for all the materials he can find in the scrap piles, to save me some money.

Now I just have to hope that this will work out okay and doesn't take too long. Ten days from now we are probably goingto start having freezing nights.
    That's great news!!

Yep, we're watching the timeline coming, too....we actually went down to 39 early this morning, fortunately we still have good grass and all the poultry have wind blocks up and plenty of bedding. But with the colder temps and less daylight, we're not far from buying hay.

https://www.iceagenow.info/most-peop...inimums9765-2/

Most people have never heard of the Dalton or Maunder Minimums
    October 22, 2019 by Robert

The westward migration in America was at least in part caused by the Dalton Minimum.
    – Joseph Kraig

Most people have never heard of the Dalton or Maunder Minimums
    Joseph Kraig

Ignorance they say is bliss, but it is not. In the early part of the 19th century when the Dalton Minimum was in full swing there were summers that would not support a harvest, with frost in July in Vermont, New Hampshire and New York. The westward migration in America was at least in part caused by the Dalton Minimum when farmers moved southwest to find farms that would support them. They could do this because for many places no one was living there except nomadic Indians. Today there is no place else to go.

Today people take abundance for granted. I do believe that shortages will not come all at once. There is pork shortage in Asia now. The USA is starting to fill some of those shortages which will cause pork prices to go much higher than in recent past. As the disease in North Korea spreads to China and other countries where pork farming is low tech the shortages will only get worse.

I drove through Nebraska and Kansas this summer. I was appalled to find mile after mile of farm fields under water. There will be no corn or soy beans from those fields. Much of Central Canada had a very late spring and early winter, snow on the ground now makes it impossible for crops to mature and impossible for the tractors to harvest crops if they were to mature. There were good harvests in much of the USA that will help compensate for losses but as the Minimum deepens it will get worse. We can handle a bad year now and then but several in a row will be devastating.

Stock up on grains now to prepare for the shortages that are likely to come.

I don't have bedding for my chickens yet, but they will soon have lots and lots of leaves. I've been wondering if I should buy something additional, which I've never done before.

Before my sister retired and started just babysitting for her son, she worked for a place called Custom Poultry Bedding. They did lots of other stuff, like the bedding for the stables at the Hot Springs race track. She used to get some of the extra bales of bedding to put in her winter dog barrels. I sure wish I had some of those right now!

If I had not developed an allergy to wheat straw, I'd offer to rake out my feed store's hay shed. I got an whole huge pickup full of straw that way once. It was so neat! And free!

I've pretty much stopped eating bread and I don't bake any more, so I don't need to stock up on grains. I do have a lot of rice stored and I bought some planting wheat this fall, but that's good enough for me. If the flour I stored away a long time ago is no good, maybe I can make up some sort of fried flour patties for the chickens once I can't get feed any more. Or mix it with lard or tallow and some chopped wheat grass or other greens, to supplement whatever I'm feeding them.
    -----
    Robert's had some pretty good articles on his site lately, hasn't he?

We have another cold front moving in and it's somewhat a replay but this time it will move deep south and then sweep eastwards and chill the eastern side of the country. May even snow in a few eastern states in higher elevations. Some talk this one may provide some snow at Snowshoe West Virginia.

Keep in mind this has not yet happened it's just a prediction and waiting to see if it plays out.

Ice Age Farmer has a new podcast out - Seems like the bad news is starting to roll in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ooxnlNQoo

EMPTY BOWLS: Aussie Cereal Prices Pop - Arctic Ecosystem Collapse “Too Cold” - Irish Potato Shortage

Run time is 19:05

As entire Arctic ecosystems collapse under last year's record UNMELTED snow in North Greenland, drought-induced crop losses have forced Kellogg's to drastically raise prices (+30%) on Aussie cereals. Producers warn of GLOBAL Sweet Corn seed shortages. Ireland warns of a potato shortage. The US has silently started importing corn from Brazil, even as the USDA openly revises numbers to fantastical levels, diverging more and more from reality. As a result, our nation is not preparing for the difficult seasons ahead in the Grand Solar Minimum -- so it is up to us. START GROWING FOOD NOW.

https://electroverse.net/new-mexico-...ast-of-winter/

(please go to the link for graphics)

New Mexico in line for an Early Blast of Winter — 10+ inches of Snow in the Forecast
    October 23, 2019 Cap Allon

A meridional (wavy) jet stream flow –associated with low solar activity– continues to divert brutal Arctic air anomalously-far-south. New Mexico is next in line for an early blast of winter, with heavy snow expected in the NE of the U.S. state.

According to NWS meteorologist Kerry Jones, this type of powerful winter storm is arriving three weeks ahead of schedule.

“It’s always these early events that catch folks by surprise even though we kind of see it a couple days ahead of time,” Jones said. “We have a significant blast of cold coming for much of the state.

“That I-25 corridor that goes up north of Las Vegas, Springer, Raton, Raton Pass even into Colorado could get a little slick and dicey Wednesday night into Thursday,” he said.

Some spots in NE New Mexico are on for 10 inches (25 cm) of early-season snow over the coming days: (graphic)

All that powder is great news for skiers and snowboarders: “With these colder temperatures … [it] really does set the stage to get some good early season snow to stay,” Jones concluded. “So we’ll start to build that snowpack.”

The snowpack is indeed building early, in line with historically low solar activity.
    Total Snow Mass for the Northern Hemisphere is off to a staggering start: (graphic)

Snow has a cooling effect on our climate — it reflects sunlight back into space. The more snow cover there is, the colder we get (the albedo effect).

This is how glaciers form.

This is also how ice ages begin.

NASA has revealed this next solar cycle (25) will be “the weakest of the past 200 years” and have tied previous solar shutdowns to prolonged periods of global cooling here. (graphic)

Prepare for the COLD

https://electroverse.net/uk-challeng...rom-the-1880s/

UK Challenges All-Time Low Temperature Records from the 1880s

Arctic air has engulfed much of the UK of late. Latest forecasts see it lingering through the weekend, bringing with it the strong possibility of record-breaking low-level snow as far south as Wales/Central England on Fri, Oct 25.

Overnight lows tumbled well-below freezing across MANY regions during the first half of the week.

According to warm-mongers the MetOffice, a low of -5.5C (22F) was observed at the Tulloch Bridge weather station, Scotland in the early hours of Tuesday, October 22 — which came within just a few degrees of the UK’s all-time coldest temperature for the date set back in 1880 (solar minimum of cycle 11).
    Additional pulses of Polar air will plunge temperatures even lower over the coming days.

Turning to the GFS, bone-chilling lows are forecast to engulf ALL of the UK this Thursday evening, lasting through the remainder of the month (at least): (graphic)

The sinking temps will challenge the UK’s upcoming all-time daily record lows, with the 25th’s -8.9C (16C) from 1885 under particular threat; along with the 26th’s -9.4C (15F) from 1931; and the 29th’s -9.4C (15F) set back in 1911.

In addition, the UK’s all-time MONTHLY record minimum low could come under threat — the -11.7C (11F) set at Dalwhinnie (Scotland) in 1948.

Furthermore, the models are also suggesting record-breaking early-season snow (up to 20cm) could fall as far south as southern Ireland, as well as parts of England & Wales, and the usual suspect Scotland: (graphic)

And looking further ahead, the majority of Europe will also be infected by Arctic air before the month is out.

Temperature departures across the continent will tumble some 20C below average by Halloween: (graphic)

And things appear truly brutal as November arrives: (graphic)

With staggering snow totals to match: )graphic)

NASA has recently revealed this next solar cycle (25) will be “the weakest of the past 200 years,” with the agency correlating previous solar shutdowns to prolonged periods of global cooling here. (graphic)

Prepare

https://electroverse.net/shiveluch-v...00-feet-11-km/

Shiveluch Volcano Erupts to 36,000 feet (11 km)

For the entirety of 2019, strong explosive activity has been occurring at Shiveluch Volcano (Kamchatka, Russia) regularly ejecting particulates into the stratosphere and cooling the planet.

Shiveluch’s latest eruptions occurred on October 22 and 23, when the HIMAWARI-8 (Japan’s geostationary weather satellite) observed thick columns of ash rising to an estimated 36,000 ft (11 km) a.s.l., and moving at 65 kts in a N direction.

Particulates ejected to altitudes above 32,800 feet (10 km) often linger in the stratosphere where they have a direct cooling effect on the planet.

BACKGROUND

Stratovolcano: 3283 m / 10,771 ft
    Kamchatka, Russia: 56.65°N / 161.36°E
    Current status: ERUPTING (4 out of 5)

Shiveluch volcano is highly explosive and has a recent eruptive history littered with VEI 4s and 5s. It’s known for large pyroclastic flows, and as one of Kamchatka’s largest and most active volcanoes.

Eruption list: 1739(?), 1800(?), 1854 (Plinian eruption), 1879-83, 1897-98, 1905, 1928-29, 1930, 1944-50, 1964 (sub-Plinian, large dome collapse and debris flow), 1980-81, 1984, 1985, 1986-88, 1988, 1989 1990-94, 1997, 1998, 1999, 1999-ongoing

For more see VolcanoDiscovery.com

UPTICK

Seismic and Volcanic activity has been correlated to changes in our sun.

The recent global uptick in earthquakes and volcanic eruptions is likely attributed to the drop-off in solar activity, coronal holes, a waning magnetosphere, and the influx of Cosmic Rays penetrating silica-rich magma.

Check out these link for more info:

https://principia-scientific.org/do-...nic-eruptions/

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...bubble_chamber

Prepare

A new one from Oppenheimer Ranch Project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpOQrO5HzTc

Sheveluch Erupting to 36,000ft - Cosmic Ray Update - More Power Cuts In Cali - UK Snow Forecast

Run time is 12:52

Rockies snowfall continues this week http://bit.ly/2kB5Jkd
    Snow likely to cause hazardous travel along Front Range Wednesday night and Thursday morning -Residents of Castle Rock could see up to 8 inches of snow https://dpo.st/35VlbdN
    Cloud Seeding - Explained http://bit.ly/31z1Dsd
    How Cold War-era dreams of weather modification are coming true in Colorado’s ski country http://bit.ly/2JeIky1
    Evacuation orders lifted after Palisades Fire leaves 2 injured and burns at least 40 acres in Los Angeles https://cnn.it/2PcHlSS
    Power blackouts likely again for hundreds of thousands of Californians this week https://nbcnews.to/2oUQCo4
    500k PG&E customers may lose power as San Jose revolts with buyout proposal https://fxn.ws/2oSy4op
    GFS Model Total Snow US http://bit.ly/32EDuSp
    "Serious" problems with Irish potato harvest due to bad weather may result in national shortage http://bit.ly/2qBlGJT
    UK braced for 'coldest winter in 50 years' say bookmakers as odds slashed http://bit.ly/2MCiF4B
    GFS Total Snowfall Europe http://bit.ly/2o7o4af
    Oulu Neutron Monitor http://cr0.izmiran.ru/oulu/main.htm
    Shiveluch Volcano Volcanic Ash Advisory: VA FM 20191021/1240Z ERUPTION to 36000 ft http://bit.ly/2W4Mvlf
    Worldwide Volcano News and Updates http://bit.ly/2v9JJhO
    CO2 RETAINS HEAT FOR ONLY 0.0001 SECONDS, WARMING “NOT POSSIBLE” http://bit.ly/2PbijDM
    2019 Ozone Hole is the Smallest on Record Since Its Discovery https://go.nasa.gov/2W9V3Y7
    Ozone hole shrinks to smallest size on record, and it's not related to global warming http://bit.ly/35VxJ4J
    Catastrophic events carry forests of trees thousands of miles to a burial at sea http://bit.ly/2PaaIFn
    ....and more....

I don't have bedding for my chickens yet, but they will soon have lots and lots of leaves. I've been wondering if I should buy something additional, which I've never done before.

Before my sister retired and started just babysitting for her son, she worked for a place called Custom Poultry Bedding. They did lots of other stuff, like the bedding for the stables at the Hot Springs race track. She used to get some of the extra bales of bedding to put in her winter dog barrels. I sure wish I had some of those right now!

If I had not developed an allergy to wheat straw, I'd offer to rake out my feed store's hay shed. I got an whole huge pickup full of straw that way once. It was so neat! And free!

I've pretty much stopped eating bread and I don't bake any more, so I don't need to stock up on grains. I do have a lot of rice stored and I bought some planting wheat this fall, but that's good enough for me. If the flour I stored away a long time ago is no good, maybe I can make up some sort of fried flour patties for the chickens once I can't get feed any more. Or mix it with lard or tallow and some chopped wheat grass or other greens, to supplement whatever I'm feeding them.
    -----
    Robert's had some pretty good articles on his site lately, hasn't he?
    We buy pine shavings (flake) at Tractor Supply, comes in a big but light-weight compressed bag, a little goes a long way...runs $5.99 here.

Robert has had good ones of late. I'm guessing as we move closer into winter the news is going to be coming in faster.

Yep the pine shavings is the way to go in the chicken coop and start off with a one inch layer and add more a few months later.
    Its better than bedding or hay as there is no smell that knocks off your feet when you walk into the chicken coop. You can over time build up a good four to five inch layer over a two+ year time before you need to clean it out. If there is a sawmill near by you can buy sawdust from them and use that the same way.
    When it's time to clean the coop it's best to let pine chips let that sit in a pile to rot down some before putting it in the garden, the sawmill sawdust you can use it right away and till in the soil. Oh chicken poop is really hot fertilizer so spread it light or it will burn everything you plant.

Article on the Main as a reminder why it's always good to keep a deep pantry (oh my goodness):

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...-Pork-Shortage

Wow! Another reason for me to get rabbits again!

I was thinking I might not bother, this article is a good reminder that I do need to get at least buck and two does.

I wonder how well comfrey grows in a GSM summer? I'd dry it for hay and then grow wheat grass in the greenhouse as well as in some protected outdoor containers.