Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 139 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,280 of 5536
    Summerthyme, my potato plants started out very well and then the plants just sort of gave up. No sign of isease or insects. The potatoes I dug up were totally firm, smooth and healthy, but none were bigger than a jumbo eggs, and most were a good deal smaller. Lots of large marbles, maybe nickel-size, and a lot of golf balls and ping-pong balls. There was no apparent reason for this to happen and I have to think it was just from how different the sun has become.

My sister's plants did a little better before her plants gave up, but her potatoes are covered with the little scabby knots.

Glad you'll still have enough potatoes for your own needs at least.

Somewhere in recent travels I ran across stories of thermometers places near A/C discharge, middle of parking lot where Chief parks his truck...
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

The location for the temp reading nearest my house was described as being on a "south-facing hillside". You'd think they'd be embarrassed to even admit that! Needless to say, I checked the several in my area and chose the one that most often agreed with the readings I got from my own thermometers.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Microclimates are very real. Our temperatures are often 2-3 degrees different from the neighbor who lives about 300 feet higher at the top of the hill... and the creek bottom 1/8 mile east often gets frost (both Spring and fall) when we don't get below 34 degrees. And the "official" temps are taken in the village which is down in the valley, so they often aren't very accurate for us.

We're heading into the 40's tomorrow night... still hoping for a long, late warm fall, but I dunno. The wet year is already proving disastrous to more than just crops... I've seen 6 cases of West Nile virus in horses in the last 8 days... so far, 4 have survived, and one is deathly ill right now. I spent $100 to vaccinate my 2 horses.. money we don't really have, but a lot cheaper than a horse! Plus, I sure don't want to have to explain to my granddaughter that her beloved mini mare died of West Nile.

We're eating out of the gardens daily... I've canned about 100 pints of snap beans, a few beets, and we're anxiously watching the tomatoes, hoping they'll mature and ripen before frost. I'm in my 7th year of developing several varieties of sweet bell peppers, and I have plants with over 2 dozen large peppers on each one!

My vines were a total loss... rabbits ate every plant! Fortunately, I planted cucumbers and one cantaloupe plant in the raised beds close to the house, and they are thriving. But I need to somehow figure out how to get rid of the blasted rabbits! They've also been badly damaging the blueberries over the winter. I hate to say it, but I think I need to get a Jack Russell pup, or some sort of rat terrier... they definitely aren't my favorite type dog, but our herding dogs don't have much hunting instinct. Dixie will chase predators off anytime it's needed, but she apparently sees no problem with rabbits!

The potatoes have mostly died down, despite spraying with copper every 10 days. There is absolutely no hint of blight on the tomatoes (sprayed on the same schedule) so I'm not sure what's going on. I've dug decent sized new potatoes for fresh eating, but there don't seem to be very many. We'll have enough... I plant way more than we should need, just in case. But these weather patterns are surely a challenge!

Summerthyme
    Microclimates are the third rail in Climate "science". They are too busy chasing numbers to fit the prearranged narrative to ever admit how much the place where the testing equipment is placed really matters over time.

I trust my 30 year old weather station (measures temp, humidity, and barometric pressure) because it's right here in my yard until I put it back on the wall where it goes- not miles away.

40 degree nights? I wish! I've had to settle for 73 here lately. We are eating out of our garden daily as well as chewing through last year's stash of wild game in the freezers. Can some, eat some.
    Last edited by Seeker22; 08-22-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Microclimates are very real. Our temperatures are often 2-3 degrees different from the neighbor who lives about 300 feet higher at the top of the hill... and the creek bottom 1/8 mile east often gets frost (both Spring and fall) when we don't get below 34 degrees. And the "official" temps are taken in the village which is down in the valley, so they often aren't very accurate for us.

We're heading into the 40's tomorrow night... still hoping for a long, late warm fall, but I dunno. The wet year is already proving disastrous to more than just crops... I've seen 6 cases of West Nile virus in horses in the last 8 days... so far, 4 have survived, and one is deathly ill right now. I spent $100 to vaccinate my 2 horses.. money we don't really have, but a lot cheaper than a horse! Plus, I sure don't want to have to explain to my granddaughter that her beloved mini mare died of West Nile.

We're eating out of the gardens daily... I've canned about 100 pints of snap beans, a few beets, and we're anxiously watching the tomatoes, hoping they'll mature and ripen before frost. I'm in my 7th year of developing several varieties of sweet bell peppers, and I have plants with over 2 dozen large peppers on each one!

My vines were a total loss... rabbits ate every plant! Fortunately, I planted cucumbers and one cantaloupe plant in the raised beds close to the house, and they are thriving. But I need to somehow figure out how to get rid of the blasted rabbits! They've also been badly damaging the blueberries over the winter. I hate to say it, but I think I need to get a Jack Russell pup, or some sort of rat terrier... they definitely aren't my favorite type dog, but our herding dogs don't have much hunting instinct. Dixie will chase predators off anytime it's needed, but she apparently sees no problem with rabbits!

The potatoes have mostly died down, despite spraying with copper every 10 days. There is absolutely no hint of blight on the tomatoes (sprayed on the same schedule) so I'm not sure what's going on. I've dug decent sized new potatoes for fresh eating, but there don't seem to be very many. We'll have enough... I plant way more than we should need, just in case. But these weather patterns are surely a challenge!

Summerthyme
    Don't you give your own shots? A single dose of West Nile vaccine runs about $32 for me, and I thought that was bad enough. I can't imagine having to fork out $50 a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Marseydoats View Post
    Don't you give your own shots? A single dose of West Nile vaccine runs about $32 for me, and I thought that was bad enough. I can't imagine having to fork out $50 a shot!
    Oh, yeah... but 2 horses, 2 doses each. It adds up...

Summerthyme

New Adapt 2030 podcast up about an hour ago MIAC #223

Runs 30:22

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    New Adapt 2030 podcast up about an hour ago MIAC #223

Runs 30:22
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEbSRkIMcc

(MIAC #223) Grand Solar Minimum A Lead-In To Larger Cycles

•Wildfires Siberia 2019
    •Huge volcanic eruption Russia
    •80N to the North Pole 90N temperatures haven’t exceeded the 45 year average according to the Danish Meteorological Institute
    •Micro-Nova or Superflare from the Sun in a recurring cycle
    •Magnetic pole reversal
    •Adam & Eve Story
    •Great Arctic Outbreak 1899
    •Great Freeze 1607 Netherlands
    •220 million year cycles of our solar system around the Milky Way
    •Cycles of Time , Cycles of Civilization
    •How will crops respond to record heat followed by record cold

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Somewhere in recent travels I ran across stories of thermometers places near A/C discharge, middle of parking lot where Chief parks his truck...
    Anthony Watts has that info at wattsupwiththat.com and he's had that available for years. The science deniers who hate him refuse to acknowledge his findings and his questioning of the flawed "global warming" hysteria. He gets accused of bein' in the pocket of "Big Oil" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 9idrr View Post
    Anthony Watts has that info at wattsupwiththat.com and he's had that available for years. The science deniers who hate him refuse to acknowledge his findings and his questioning of the flawed "global warming" hysteria. He gets accused of bein' in the pocket of "Big Oil" all the time.
    That’s probably where I found it. Reading a lot of denier stuff, kinda ticks me off.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Adapt 2030 has a new podcast out this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjjLLY9u9M

60 Year Cold Australia, Brazil Fruit Colder Days (876)

Run time is 4:54

Coldest in 60 years @ 16S Latitude in Cairnes, Australia with ski seasons enjoying the most snow this century. Fruit growers in Brazil increasing apple production because the number of cold days is increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjjLLY9u9M

60 Year Cold Australia, Brazil Fruit Colder Days (876)

Run time is 4:54

Coldest in 60 years @ 16S Latitude in Cairnes, Australia with ski seasons enjoying the most snow this century. Fruit growers in Brazil increasing apple production because the number of cold days is increasing.
    The increased Apple production may explain why they have set more of the Amazon Rainforest on fire. They do slash and burn but this year its more than normal.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Interesting blog post on growing rice at home (here in the states). Given that rice harvests have been hit in Thailand and other places by poor weather conditions, this might be a good thing to consider going forward (pics at the link):

http://www.5acresandadream.com/

August 21, 2019

My First Rice Harvest

I can't help but take a pause from my Solar Pantry Series for my very first rice harvest. I've never grown rice before so this small patch has been an experiment; an experiment on which I've pinned great hopes.

I planted two varieties of upland rice last May (blog post here). Upland rice is different from lowland or paddy rice because it doesn't have to be flooded. It can be grown without a rice paddy.

The Cho Seun variety is said to be ready to harvest somewhere around 125 days after transplanting or whenever the heads are golden brown.

I cut mine at day 123 with my hand sickle.

The patch was small so it didn't take long. It filled my wheelbarrow.

My next step is to thresh it. This variety is supposed to be relatively easy to thresh because it is awnless. We'll see!

The second bed of rice, Loto, still has a lot of green seed heads.

So I'm still waiting on that one.

My seed packets contained 7 grams of rice seed each, so I'm curious about my yield. We'll try some of course, but I plan to save most of it as seed for next summer's crop. Hopefully, homegrown rice can become a regular part of our diet.

deleted
    Last edited by watchin; 08-24-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Job5:20: In famine he shall redeem thee from death: and in war from the power of the sword.

Ice Age Farmer has just put up a new podcast. It is 20 some minutes.

Alas, my computer has become mute. I've tried a new speaker to no avail, so I won't be able to listen to any new podcasts until I've brought my computer in to be fixed and then brought it back home again.

TxGal, I hope there are plenty of points listed in the run-down if you are going to post the link to this one. I may go back to his site and read the comments, just to get an idea of what it's about.

deleted duplicate post

Adapt 2030 has a new podcast out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz_m9lk0dCs

(MIAC #224) Protect the Narrative at All Costs as New Grow Zones Emerge

Run time is 20:54

•Red and Orange Noctilucent clouds that are usually blue
    •Arctic fires 2019
    •Arctic temperatures 2019
    •48% of US farmers expect below average yields for 2019
    •Drawdown on global grain reserves
    •Russian agricultural grow zones
    •Centennial minimum in soar activity Russian crop losses early 1900’s
    •Deflection of global food price rises

Ice Age Farmer has a new podcast out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAxyhj05Jo

ER Doctor "Dr. D": Intro, Homestead Preps, Parenting in GSM

Run time is 23:05

ER physician "Dr. D" joins Christian to speak about discovering the Grand Solar Minimum, moving his family, parenting, and preparing his home for harsh winters and heavy snow loads. He also mentions rapidly increasing grocery bills that should be encouraging everyone to start growing their own food. The interview is continued in part 2.

Modern agriculture is unable to cope with the perfect cosmic storm of changes -- START GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD TODAY!

Ice Age Farmer has just put up a new podcast. It is 20 some minutes.

Alas, my computer has become mute. I've tried a new speaker to no avail, so I won't be able to listen to any new podcasts until I've brought my computer in to be fixed and then brought it back home again.

TxGal, I hope there are plenty of points listed in the run-down if you are going to post the link to this one. I may go back to his site and read the comments, just to get an idea of what it's about.
    Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I was hoping it was something simple.

At least once a week I try to check up on volcanic activity since David DuByne warned about VEIs of 5 and 6 a while back. We've been crazy busy but this morning I read about Popo down in Mexico (closest one to us), and a few others...it's been a busy weekend for volcanoes.

Too much info to post, but try to catch up on this website, at least, and read back through the weekend. Lots of activity:

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcanoes/today.html

Volcanoes Today, 26 Aug 2019: Etna volcano, Popocatťpetl, Krakatau, Shiveluch, Dukono, Reventador, Sangay, Sangeang Api

And here's the bigger news:

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/shi...t-21300-m.html

Shiveluch Volcano Volcanic Ash Advisory: VA SHEVELUCH ERUPTION AUG 24TH. to 70000 ft (21300 m) - I believe this was the size mentioned by DuByne to head to the grocery stores...

thank you TxGal and Martinhouse for keeping us informed. I come here daily for updates.

This volcano thing has got me a little worried..we have'nt had any sun here for several days now and this doesn't feel like August at all.

And today, more rain. ugh

On that big eruption, I've found a conversion online that takes 70,000 feet to 21.336 km. If that is accurate, I believe this eruption was a VEI 6....on a par with Krakatoa in 1883.

It might be good if someone else would double check those numbers.

It's way below the one that contributed to the year without a summer back in the early 1800s, but it's still a significant eruption. I think, though, that what is more important is how much matter is ejected into the atmosphere and for how long.

Geez, I'm feeling a little maxed out with GSM yucky news this morning! Pics at the link:

https://www.sott.net/article/419233-...Coaster-winter

Wild Ride Ahead - 2020 Farmers' Almanac predicts "Polar Coaster" winter!

Benzinga
    Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:54 UTC

If you didn't like last winter, you may want to stop reading right now. The 2020 Farmers' Almanac's extended weather forecast is calling for a "Polar Coaster Winter," with plenty of frigid temperatures and snow for a majority of the country.

"Freezing, frigid, and frosty" are the exact terms used to describe the upcoming season, especially for areas east of the Rockies all the way to the Appalachians.

No Rest for the Winter Weary

"We expect yet another wild ride this winter," shares Pete Geiger, Philom., Editor, "with extreme temperatures swings and some hefty snowfalls."

The coldest outbreaks in late January are forecast to affect millions of people living in the Northern Plains into the Great Lakes (remember last winter in Chicago?), with the possibility of temperatures dropping to -40 in the Plains.

The western-third of the country is forecast to see a milder ride with near-normal winter temperatures and precipitation predicted.

The 2020 Farmers' Almanac also includes a recap of its spot-on "teeth-chattering" forecast for 2019 (did you know that last winter was one of the wettest winters on record?).

Snow Ahead

The Almanac calls for above-normal winter precipitation over the eastern third of the country as well as the Great Plains, Midwest, and the Great Lakes. The Pacific Northwest and Southwest should see near-normal precipitation.

With colder-than-normal temperatures in the Northeast and above-normal precipitation expected, the Farmers' Almanac extended forecast forewarns of not only a good amount of snow, but also a wintry mix of rain, sleet—especially along the coast.

Spring, Summer and Fall Forecasts?

Each new edition packs 16 months of weather forecasts into 200 pages of factual fun. The Farmers' Almanac, which features an orange and green cover, breaks the country into 7 weather zones and provides forecasts in 3-day increments and includes weather summaries for all four seasons.

More than Weather

This year's edition also contains life hacks and natural remedies on ways to melt ice more naturally, use salt as a cure for common ailments, plus trivia about who invented the first diet, what bugs are safe and tasty to eat, how animals survive extreme weather, and tons of gardening tips and best days to fish, view full Moons and much more.

For more information go to FarmersAlmanac.com

TxGal, thanks for posting all the youtube stuff and the other articles. It will take me ages to catch up today.

I should be embarrassed to even tell anyone what the problem was with my computer, but I am so computer-illiterate that I didn't even realize that a Youtube video has a mute button. I must have fumbled and hit that button once when checking one of them and the guy at the computer shop said that will mute any Youtube I try to play, not just the one I'm trying to play at the moment. So a big DUH! on me!

I think Dubyne said it was time to drop everything and get your money out of the bank and hit the stores immediately if there was a VEI6 or a VEI7. Wish I knew which of the older MIAC podcasts that was in, I'd sure go listen to it again. I may have seen mention of the recent Russian eruption on another site this morning or maybe yesterday. I'll try to find it.

I'm planning to go back to town maybe tomorrow so I will try to finish up the most important shopping. And I've ordered a couple of the milkhouse heaters from the Ace Hardware and I'll have to go get those Friday. I hate having to drive half an hour each way every time I need to do any serious shopping. Although when I lived in the Twin Cities, it usually took that long to get to work, so I supposed I should appreciate my present drive which is more miles but far less traffic.

TxGal, thanks for posting all the youtube stuff and the other articles. It will take me ages to catch up today.

I should be embarrassed to even tell anyone what the problem was with my computer, but I am so computer-illiterate that I didn't even realize that a Youtube video has a mute button. I must have fumbled and hit that button once when checking one of them and the guy at the computer shop said that will mute any Youtube I try to play, not just the one I'm trying to play at the moment. So a big DUH! on me!

I think Dubyne said it was time to drop everything and get your money out of the bank and hit the stores immediately if there was a VEI6 or a VEI7. Wish I knew which of the older MIAC podcasts that was in, I'd sure go listen to it again. I may have seen mention of the recent Russian eruption on another site this morning or maybe yesterday. I'll try to find it.

I'm planning to go back to town maybe tomorrow so I will try to finish up the most important shopping. And I've ordered a couple of the milkhouse heaters from the Ace Hardware and I'll have to go get those Friday. I hate having to drive half an hour each way every time I need to do any serious shopping. Although when I lived in the Twin Cities, it usually took that long to get to work, so I supposed I should appreciate my present drive which is more miles but far less traffic.
    Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing...accidentally hit the mute button on the YouTube video tab. It took me a while to figure it out, and of course I was blaming the new computer at first. Boy, is that frustrating!

I recall David saying that, too. I'm waiting until I see another podcast from him, it should be one that mentions that eruption because that seems to be a big dot for him. We're right in the middle of redoing our storage room with newer and taller racks for better storage. I have one more to order and that will finish up the racks. Right now I have food and prep items all over while we juggle space. We were out shopping yesterday, stores were well stocked and for us to do two days of 3+ hrs driving each in a row just wears the body down. I'm going to hold off on an emergency run to see what he says and what else pops in the news. If that volcano popped with just a bit of ash that high, I don't think it's quite as important than if it popped and was still ejecting matter that high into the atmosphere. I hope.

Yesterday we were at HEB about an hour away, and I was bagging some red potatoes while a lady next to me was looking for sweet potatoes. There were none, and she said she couldn't remember a time when there were no sweet potatoes in the store. She grabbed a stocker and asked about it, and he said they've had trouble getting sweet potatoes in all year, but he didn't know why. DH and I looked at each other, and I said GSM and he said too much rain. And so it begins.....

Good for you on the heaters! We haven't gotten ours yet, we're kind of holding out for Costco to get their parabolic ones in stock. Should be anytime now, they're changing their stock over to fall/winter items.

TxGal, Dubyne has just put up ANOTHER one! Now I have three to listen to, two short ones and one long one, as well as Christian's 23 minute one.

Will force myself to make a decent breakfast first.....

I've got lots to do, lately, too. Thank goodness those pears I got last week are still rock-hard!

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    thank you TxGal and Martinhouse for keeping us informed. I come here daily for updates.

This volcano thing has got me a little worried..we have'nt had any sun here for several days now and this doesn't feel like August at all.

And today, more rain. ugh
    You're welcome, and we're all glad you're here! We're moving into fall early here, we can also feel it in the air...no longer feels like summer in the early evening and early morning. Days are a bear, but just a few more weeks we think. We desperately need the rain, after a really wet spring we're dry now, in a burn ban, and pumping well water into our ponds to keep levels up and water fresh. But, it could be so much worse.

Lots in the news this morning...sometimes it's hard to keep up!

Cripes, I can't keep up this morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWt4YTrmSc

Pork Rationing in China, Food Sizes Diminishing (877)

Run time is 7:05

So it begins, if you want to buy pork in China you will need to present your ID card to get the ration / government price on a per household basis per week. Also USDA now decreased serving size for adults of fish from 8 ounces to 4 ounces and in the UK banning of mean and milk in universities. The narrative continues, get ready for less food.

TxGal, Dubyne has just put up ANOTHER one! Now I have three to listen to, two short ones and one long one, as well as Christian's 23 minute one.

Will force myself to make a decent breakfast first.....

I've got lots to do, lately, too. Thank goodness those pears I got last week are still rock-hard!
    Thank you! Just posted it.

Definitely keep your nutrition up, it looks like things are ramping up now....

Keep an eye on those pears ripening, I have a hunch they'll be an important addition to your pantry.

If I seem to be in an out today, I'm just moving food around and putting a rack together...gotta get that storage area finished.

I just noticed that Publius had started a thread on this volcano, I'm going to post links to GSM in his, and his down here. All info is good info!

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...Erupts-(Russia)

TxGal, thanks!

Was just going to suggest going to see this morning's brief daily update at the SuspiciousObserver website. This one raised the hair on the back of my neck!!!!!

TxGal, thanks!

Was just going to suggest going to see this morning's brief daily update at the SuspiciousObserver website. This one raised the hair on the back of my neck!!!!!
    You're welcome! Thanks for the heads up on SO's update, here's their podcast below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYmUXdGcR4

Solar Watch, Volcanoes, Super Photons, Cosmos | S0 News Aug.26.2019

Run time is 6:16

PW just posted on the volcano thread on Main page that Shiveluch is now a VEI6. Time to head to town like Dubyne said?

Add this to the fact that it's already being said that this coming winter is going to be extra severe.

Glad I did all that laundry when I did!

PW just posted on the volcano thread on Main page that Shiveluch is now a VEI6. Time to head to town like Dubyne said?

Add this to the fact that it's already being said that this coming winter is going to be extra severe.

Am gonna drag out all of the winter blankets and flannel sheets and get them washed up this week, and wash up winter coats, gloves, and hats next week. Time to check the winter boots as well, see if they need to be replaced or not.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

If you have the rubber or plastic yard boots and they leak from being cracked on the bottom, instead of tossing them, put bread bags on your feet when you slip into the boots. Your feet might sweat some, but you don't have to worry about your socks getting totally soaked by puddles. It also helps get the boots on if it's cold enough that you need to wear thicker socks or double socks.

I can't do any laundry this week, much as I'd like to, because I don't have a dryer and it doesn't look like the weather will permit outdoor drying for several days.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    On that big eruption, I've found a conversion online that takes 70,000 feet to 21.336 km. If that is accurate, I believe this eruption was a VEI 6....on a par with Krakatoa in 1883.

It might be good if someone else would double check those numbers.

It's way below the one that contributed to the year without a summer back in the early 1800s, but it's still a significant eruption. I think, though, that what is more important is how much matter is ejected into the atmosphere and for how long.
    86,000 feet last time I looked, I'll go look again.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

If you have the rubber or plastic yard boots and they leak from being cracked on the bottom, instead of tossing them, put bread bags on your feet when you slip into the boots. Your feet might sweat some, but you don't have to worry about your socks getting totally soaked by puddles. It also helps get the boots on if it's cold enough that you need to wear thicker socks or double socks.

I can't do any laundry this week, much as I'd like to, because I don't have a dryer and it doesn't look like the weather will permit outdoor drying for several days.
    My muck boots are in excellent condition and if it's freezing cold outside and you put plastic bags on your feet that's a good way to get frostbite, just saying.

Plastic bags inside the boots are not for long bouts of chores but just things like feeding the chickens and gathering eggs or going to the mailbox. Plus it doesn't get nearly as cold in the winter down here in Arkansas as it does in Iowa. I lived 34 years in Minnesota, born and raised there, so I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm truly tempted, but have to get that new rack in and items restocked...and order the final rack. I'm trying to hold off until DuByne does another podcast...it should be very soon given that volcano (I thought I just read that they put out a warning for Tokyo...that should indicate the ash is headed there...I thought it was going NE). Stores were very well stocked yesterday, I honestly think there are more sheeple than awakened folks and it will take a lot of bad news in the mainstream media to affect most shoppers.

Having said that, I seem to recall that the reason I bookmarked a major selection of freeze dried and dehydrated cans at both Emergency Essentials and Honeyville was because of what he said about doing a major run if a big one blew. I have to go back and reread what I posted. I still have that bookmarked info on my computer ready to click. I may have to revisit that tonight.

And I STILL want more chickens...I need to lean on DH more, and then, too, we need to expand our chicken housing if we're going to do that, especially with winter coming in soon. Another dozen layers would make me much happier. Along with a good supply of feed, etc.

I hear you about chickens. I still have none and it appears no one to fix my pen for me. I may try to get hold of my nephew again, out of sheer desperation.

I'm wearing my best thinking cap and trying to figure what I still need versus what I simply still want. Last week I'd already started feeling the urge to finalize a lot of things, thus all the laundry done up, but There are still a lot of things I want to get in town, and I sure hope I'm up to it. I'm finding I can't do very much in any one trip any more, but just the driving to town and back uses me up, so I can't just do a little each day. Sort of a Catch 22.

Anyway, I'm trying prioritize and hope to have accomplished a lot by the end of the week.

I too am waiting for Dubyne to post about this volcano, but if you know how go back and find that other volcano podcast, please post the link again.