Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,560 of 3693
    New Adapt 2030 podcast out this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IihrFYTssn0

(MIAC #189) Evolutionary Leaps & Broken Pipelines Across the Mississippi in A Quake

Run time is 23:09

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    This is a picture of our garden taken during the "Snowball Ireland" Winter of 2010, an organization I'm in just used it (with permission) on the cover of their magazine.

I suspect we will have more Winters like that one coming down the pike this wall was probably built in 1795 along with the house (it is a walled garden where protected plants would have been grown to try to keep the kitchen full during the Little Ice Age Winters).

Von Koehler - I love your posts, especially the ones with information in them; please don't go away - I come here for the information and I don't share all the views of some of the posters on the main either but the general news and sharing, especially on threads like this one are priceless.

I am not going away but must really watch my data consumption right now; if I go over the 15 gig limit my access speed is really throttled down to a crawl.
    I need a replacement part for my wireless USB modem-and its coming from China!

von Koehler
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by von Koehler View Post
    I am not going away but must really watch my data consumption right now; if I go over the 15 gig limit my access speed is really throttled down to a crawl.
    I need a replacement part for my wireless USB modem-and its coming from China!

von Koehler
    OK the data issue I can understand, if you just post the occasional link and short summer we can look things up ourselves if we want.

Hope the "China Express" gets there soon!
    Melodi
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I really don't understand how this thread is reaching 100,000 reads? Who are they?
    There's only a few posters keeping this going.

Who are the "quests?"
    You may not have noticed, but not long after you or one of a handful of 'regulars' post, if you refresh the page and look at the bottom of the page you'll notice a number of 'guests' reading the page. We must have a lot of people who are not logged in who wait for a few names that they follow, then go to this thread to read what's new.

There is hope that more people than we realize are indeed reading and benefitting in some way from what is being posted. This is a very good thing!

It's also likely that a number of "readers " are subscribed to the thread, so get notices when it's updated...

Summerthyme

Our tap water usually measures pH8+. According to what I can gather (there isn't that much info.), something more like 6 -7 is preferred for the hydroponic solution. I ordered a little dip-in battery operated meter. Perhaps a pack of strips would be adequate, but aquarium people maintain they are unreliable. I have the API Master Test kit for aquarium water, but it is several years old, and a PITA to use just to determine that measurement (little test tubes, dropper bottles, and a color chart to compare results to).

Also looking at a foliar fertilizer, since I've always lost tomatoes to blossom end rot, and had other plants with yellow leaves that have green veins. Chose a Iron and Calcium blend for the cart, unless anyone advises differently. Found an article that says that even hydroponically grown plants can benefit from foliar ferts. (esp. if pH isn't ideal). I'll still be growing some plants in soil pots anyway, and my soil/compost is always seemly unbalanced.
    Last edited by Faroe; 03-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Also, am ordering more compost worms. My previous batch died last year. (Due to our heat, one has to really keep up with them.) I found some videos showing how to better and more efficiently manage these. We take far too much yard waste to the dump, just because there aren't any more good places to put it all. Things don't break down here unless you water the compost bin just like the garden. I already have two that get that attention, but mostly we just get buried in dead plant matter (pecans, poplars ?, mulberries, and Chinese elms.)

We will still be taking care of this yard indefinitely after we move, and the place we are moving to has caliche for topsoil. It is a cream colored dust, so I'll need all the composted yard waste I can get if I want to make any soil based wicking beds over there.

The plan is to make a series of shallow worm beds much like the hydroponic beds, out of stacked 2X4/2X8' frames , set on pallet platforms with cinder blocks for legs. I'll line the bed with thick plastic sheeting, and put a drainage spigot through the bottom of the plastic at one end. The platform will be leveled with a slight tip toward the spigot, and a bucket underneath.

Even a drain doesn't completely solve the wicking problem from the bottom, and I know from experience how horribly mucky that bottom layer can get. Scrap fish pond filter to the rescue. This stuff is heavy plastic, looking a lot like a giant disorganized sheet of Ramen noodles, or an inch thick compressed mat of old-fashioned telephone cords. It is perfect for both draining water and letting the worms crawl back up out of the bottom. It is also seemingly indestructible, I've been using scraps of it for years. Kinda pricey new, but worth it. Originally purchased as lightweight drainage for my indoor vivs. (I really need to get some more for two viv upgrades.)

The topper is to be 1/4 inch hardware cloth encased in another wood frame. Galvanized is toxic to fish, so probably worms too, but stainless steel mesh is very expensive. I'm hoping a coat of latex spray paint on the mesh will solve that problem. Finally, a plywood roof to keep rain out, but with some ventilation. ...a lot of work, but it should last indefinitely, and can be re-purposed if I end up killing all the worms yet again.
    Last edited by Faroe; 03-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Faroe, all your work is so interesting! But I get exhausted just visualizing all the hard work involved! I could never do that!

Where I live, I could never depend on the power staying on to grow the way you are preparing to, so I'll just have to stay with shoving plants or seeds into the ground and depending on Mother Nature to take care of me. I do give her a big helping hand whenever I can, like container gardening for better drainage and fewer weeds, and mulching with leaves and composted yard scraps, and watering when there's not enough rain. I can put up shade cloths when the sun is too hot and I can put down covers when the temp goes too cold. And if all that doesn't work, I guess I'll be getting awfully tired of beans and rice!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    Faroe, all your work is so interesting! But I get exhausted just visualizing all the hard work involved! I could never do that!

Where I live, I could never depend on the power staying on to grow the way you are preparing to, so I'll just have to stay with shoving plants or seeds into the ground and depending on Mother Nature to take care of me. I do give her a big helping hand whenever I can, like container gardening for better drainage and fewer weeds, and mulching with leaves and composted yard scraps, and watering when there's not enough rain. I can put up shade cloths when the sun is too hot and I can put down covers when the temp goes too cold. And if all that doesn't work, I guess I'll be getting awfully tired of beans and rice!
    I'm not depending on the power to last here, and if the skies get dark enough with volcanic debris, solar might not produce even in sunny NM. Nevertheless, I know what DOESN'T work here, because I've tried THAT for years. So, I'm working with what I have NOW, and looking to transition as things change. Kratky hydro is non-electric. That is the beauty of it. As long as I have the ingredients to make a solution, we're good... (assuming conditions remain suitable to grow stuff at all, outdoors.) Compost worms may end up being the long term dual-purpose (chicken supplement) solution. Anyway, just approaching it from different directions, and I'll see what works long term. I'm actually happiest when I'm building things outside. (Stuck indoors this afternoon - weather is extremely blustery with intermittent rain.)

Based on your many past posts, your place actually sounds well set-up.

Faroe, it used to be better set up, but not for a GSM. Lots has broken down because MY BODY has started breaking down, but I now am better prepared for a GSM.

I've decided to go back and re-read this entire thread. I am up to the end of May last year and ready to start page 11. Time to quit for the evening, but I'm glad I thought to do this. So many things are getting refreshed in my mind and the repetition will help me retain them better this time.

An interesting thread on the main about grocery price increases in Australia, largely due to the weather issues they've had of late -

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...d-Price-Crisis
    Last edited by TxGal; 03-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Faroe, it used to be better set up, but not for a GSM. Lots has broken down because MY BODY has started breaking down, but I now am better prepared for a GSM.

I've decided to go back and re-read this entire thread. I am up to the end of May last year and ready to start page 11. Time to quit for the evening, but I'm glad I thought to do this. So many things are getting refreshed in my mind and the repetition will help me retain them better this time.
    It would be interesting to hear what stands out to you from your review of this thread. What struck you as important?

von Koehler

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Von Koehler, I've only read the first ten pages so far. I'll have to wait until I've read a good deal more before I can answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    The topper is to be 1/4 inch hardware cloth encased in another wood frame. Galvanized is toxic to fish, so probably worms too, but stainless steel mesh is very expensive. I'm hoping a coat of latex spray paint on the mesh will solve that problem. Finally, a plywood roof to keep rain out, but with some ventilation. ...a lot of work, but it should last indefinitely, and can be re-purposed if I end up killing all the worms yet again.
    Faroe, call around to some salvage yards in your area and tell them what you are after. Stainless steel mesh will be priced there at a fraction of what it would be new. You may also find other things at the salvage that you can repurpose. Make sure that they have swept the pad so you don't get any sharp metal or nails in your tires. Driving into one of those things can be interesting, to say the least.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Today I have made an important prep breakthrough, after years of trial and error: the perfect chocolate sauce!

From scratch and my own recipe. It's actually Paleodiet conforming in that there is no sugar in it.

Tastes so good, especially if you are a chocoholic.

ETA: making chocolate covered apricots now

von Koehler
    Last edited by von Koehler; 03-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Our tap water usually measures pH8+. According to what I can gather (there isn't that much info.), something more like 6 -7 is preferred for the hydroponic solution. I ordered a little dip-in battery operated meter. Perhaps a pack of strips would be adequate, but aquarium people maintain they are unreliable. I have the API Master Test kit for aquarium water, but it is several years old, and a PITA to use just to determine that measurement (little test tubes, dropper bottles, and a color chart to compare results to).

Also looking at a foliar fertilizer, since I've always lost tomatoes to blossom end rot, and had other plants with yellow leaves that have green veins. Chose a Iron and Calcium blend for the cart, unless anyone advises differently. Found an article that says that even hydroponically grown plants can benefit from foliar ferts. (esp. if pH isn't ideal). I'll still be growing some plants in soil pots anyway, and my soil/compost is always seemly unbalanced.
    Blossom end rot is caused by cool temperature growing. To avoid it plant later in the season. Spraying weekly is effective if needed but not ideal. Spray anytime cool temps persist.

For blossom end rot use Calcium nitrate and Magnesium sulfate(Epson salt) A teaspoon of each per gallon of water. A gallon is enough to treat 1000 plants. Use a hand pump sprayer to lightly mist the plants. Treat first thing in the morning before the heat of the day.

FIRST Acid safety...
    Acid into water. Never water into acid.
    Wear safety glasses and rubber gloves.
    Use glass or acid safe plastic as containers, no metal.

How to adjust PH for hydroponic solution. You need to test how much buffering your water has to know how much acid to add per gallon.

First you need a few things...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ph strips

a 8 oz beaker marked in oz.

A dropper

Sulfuric acid

You only need to test once.

Place 8 oz of your tap water into the glass beaker.
    put 2 drops of acid into the beaker.
    Measure the ph drop.

Continue putting 1 drop at a time into the beaker until it reaches a ph of 5

total your drops.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Say it was 5 drops..

The math.

16 x 5 drops is what is needed per gallon or 80 drops. But it's much easier to make a weakened solution and add more volume. To make a weakened solution to add to tanks is easy.

600 drops is an oz.
    4 oz is 2400 drops.
    2400 / 80 is 30

So if you add 4 0z. of acid to 2 gallons of water.
    You will treat 30 gallons with about 8 oz of the acid solution.

If you do not understand the math. You can do the measuring with the drops (the stuff between the dashes)and I will calculate how much acid you need to add per gallon and how to make your solution.

P.S. Sulfuric Acid is available at auto parts stores and is very cheap. Do not by the ph down stuff it's expensive and just a weakened acid solution sold for high dollars.
    Last edited by Stanb999; 03-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.

I have now re-read the first 30 pages of this thread. And I'm more glad than ever that I decided to do so. I am being reminded of so many things that had slid to the back of my mind! Good useful things for dealing with the GSM. It's interesting to read how we all said last fall that we would let the following winter help us decide if the GSM was really happening. Now we are getting to the end of that winter and I wonder what conclusions all of us have arrived at by now?

Von Koehler, that chocolate things sounds good, but I tend to crave salty snacks more than sweets. Right now I'm wishing I'd gone shopping this morning and I'd now be sitting here eating the new snack I discovered that tastes like potato chips but dissolves enough in the mouth so that I can eat them easily without dentures.

I have now re-read the first 30 pages of this thread. And I'm more glad than ever that I decided to do so. I am being reminded of so many things that had slid to the back of my mind! Good useful things for dealing with the GSM. It's interesting to read how we all said last fall that we would let the following winter help us decide if the GSM was really happening. Now we are getting to the end of that winter and I wonder what conclusions all of us have arrived at by now?

Von Koehler, that chocolate things sounds good, but I tend to crave salty snacks more than sweets. Right now I'm wishing I'd gone shopping this morning and I'd now be sitting here eating the new snack I discovered that tastes like potato chips but dissolves enough in the mouth so that I can eat them easily without dentures.
    This is true but remember that worst of solar cycle 24 [the current one] won't happen until 2014. The next 5 years will be "interesting" indeed. This Winter is just the opening act. I think this Summer's growing season will really be important as far as food production will be affected by the GSM.

The chocolate covered apricots turned out great; I'm in hog heaven.

We all have an expiration date so might as well enjoy life while we can.

von Koehler

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Martinhouse, check your PM.

Well, our forecasters kind of blew it again yesterday with the forecast for the night. We'd had the bottom edge of that big winter storm come through yesterday morning, lots of rain and gusty winds, but not as severe as it could have been.

Last evening the overnight forecast was for a chance of showers and perhaps a rumble of thunder. What we got around 2-3 am was a huge line of severe weather, high winds, lightning and thunder, and heavy sideways rain. Got up to check the internet to see if we were under a tornado watch, but had no internet for an hour. It finally came up, and until around 4 am we watched the line plow through the area. Lots of power outages around us, we were surprised ours stayed on. I really hate night storms. That storm crossing the country is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker22 View Post
    Faroe, call around to some salvage yards in your area and tell them what you are after. Stainless steel mesh will be priced there at a fraction of what it would be new. You may also find other things at the salvage that you can repurpose. Make sure that they have swept the pad so you don't get any sharp metal or nails in your tires. Driving into one of those things can be interesting, to say the least.
    Good idea. Thanks.
    We need to stop by our local yard this year for some burn barrels - I'd like to get set up for making some bio-char.
    I've got stacks and stacks of old pallets in the back yard already for this purpose.

Suspicious Observers has a few new videos/podcasts out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm95DadR3xg

Disaster Evidence, Major Blizzard, Cosmic Radiation Study | S0 News Mar.14.2019

Run time is 5:49

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ztZg54roPI

Solar Influence on Weather and Climate | Dr. Brian Tinsley

Run time is 53:40

Thanks for that post, Stanb999.
    Taking notes.

The Master Blend formula has separate bags for the Epsom salts and the calcium nitrate, so I may be good on that, for now. I've got the beaker, and droppers, and unused bottles of pH Up / pH Down back from when I first started keeping fish, and didn't know you should never try to "chase" pH with fish. Appreciate the conversions of drops to oz, and the math looks straightforward.
    Last edited by Faroe; 03-14-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Adapt 2030 had a new podcast out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMD9bCRowJ4

March Article 13 Vote Limits Web Sharing of Weather Related News & Images (801)

Published on Mar 14, 2019

"Final Vote for Article 13 of the EU Copywrite Legislation now in play as the FINAL vote or the previously agreed on legislation vote months earlier, will severely limit what can or cannot be viewed in the EU and what content ultimately falls under the soon to be finalized version. Anything news originating from the EU words, images or audio will a content filter, so links to Italian olive farmers loosing the entire region to cold or empty Greek shelves, or Russian wheat export pullback, will be deemed un-sharable. A different way to make crop losses disappear. "

Run time is 12:03

Ice Age Farmer has a new podcast out - it's a good one, very important (the Wood Blueberry Farm that is mentioned in this podcast is about 100 miles from us):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRuTWqYJFYs

"Wettest Winter Ever" - Farmers Desperate - Massive Solar Storm Warning

Run time is 20:08

Published on Mar 13, 2019

"Farmers are going to extreme measures just to eek out a crop, as a cold, wet winter kills crops and rots fodder. History is repeating as we enter the sun's Grand Minimum cycle. Also, massive Solar Storms -- the likes of which would decimate our society -- have happened before, and will happen again.

Start growing food today and preparing for the food scarcity ahead."
    Last edited by TxGal; 03-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.

The wind storms from the last two days destroyed our yard. Ugh...I had just raked everything CLEAN a couple days earlier.

Anyway, past that, and mostly caught up on germinated seeds planting. Cos and Bibb lettuces still had good germination rates even from old packets, ditto for Copenhagen (2013), and the Swiss chard looks promising, so don't give up on those seeds if you have some odd bits left over from the long ago past. Put old tomatoes, peppers, and basil in germination baggies only to discover that I'm short on a Hydrofarm t-stat to regulate the mat. I just set them in the boa cage - good regulated temps, I don't see the harm to the boa or the seeds. The weather was warm enough to take him briefly outside for the first time for some sun today. OMG what a beautiful animal! Sunlight always makes their colors look gorgeous. He is still a little baby, and we are still getting used to each other, but it was a good handling session, calm and Zen, unlike the hissing micro-monster he was just a few months ago.
    Last edited by Faroe; 03-14-2019 at 01:51 PM.

This is true but remember that worst of solar cycle 24 [the current one] won't happen until 2014. The next 5 years will be "interesting" indeed. This Winter is just the opening act. I think this Summer's growing season will really be important as far as food production will be affected by the GSM.

The chocolate covered apricots turned out great; I'm in hog heaven.

We all have an expiration date so might as well enjoy life while we can.

von Koehler
    2014 was five years ago, did you mean 2024?

I always keep an eye on the weather in Australia and New Zealand as our weather seems to mimic theirs. They got a super early winter this year, coupled with extreme flooding in some areas and extreme drought in others for their summer.

We're already flooding here in Iowa due to having four feet of snow on the ground and the ground is still frozen solid, but the air temps have been staying well above freezing at night.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    2014 was five years ago, did you mean 2024?

I always keep an eye on the weather in Australia and New Zealand as our weather seems to mimic theirs. They got a super early winter this year, coupled with extreme flooding in some areas and extreme drought in others for their summer.

We're already flooding here in Iowa due to having four feet of snow on the ground and the ground is still frozen solid, but the air temps have been staying well above freezing at night.
    Yes, you are right. 2024.

von Koehler

Kein Krieg für Israel!

It was reckless of me, but I SURE they were dead. The Brandywine tomato was dated 2012 (first time I planted it, not the seed harvest date). The others were mostly 2013/2014. I guess the boa tank is the perfect temp. Surprising quick germination - maybe sympathetic reptilian vibes too...don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to have about 500 tomato and basil plants.
    Maybe the neighbors will take some.
    Free to a Good Home.

I had some of the 1999 tomato seeds germinate a couple of years ago, usually tomato and pepper seeds only last about five years but then sometimes they last a lot longer.

You probably don't really want 500 plants unless you have a lot of space (each plant needs about a foot of soil in the ground or in a pot) or do what I did in a similar situation and take them to the farmers market and give them away.

Our local area had yellow tomatoes five years before the hit the stores here lol
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Well, I just finished reading over this thread from the very start. I would have finished yesterday but our internet service went out around noon and didn't come back on until 8:30 PM.

I didn't read many of the longer scientific articles and essays, but I did read all of the member input and studied most of the graphs and charts again.

It was a good refresher and I sure hope everyone will continue posting so much good information.

Now I need to find something to do where I barely have to use my eyes for about a week! (: (:

MY old 14-year-old kitty died last weekend. She crawled away somewhere among the storage boxes in the front porch and I've yet to find her. I'd blocked the kitty door and set food outside of it for Edward the Mooch but didn't see him until today. I heard that teeny little baby kitten meow that tomcats say to their mommy persons and lo and behold, he was right outside the door right outside of my living room!. The rear entry door into the greenhouse opens outward and uphill and he must have shoved hard against it and used the downhill of the sidewalk to squeeze right under that door. Of course, I tied the door shut this time, after I fed him. I also checked every container and there were to signs of kitty digging and no smelly places, so he didn't do anything bad while he was in there. Good kitty! I do think he had just come in and that's why he was talking to me. He wanted his bowl filled!

I think that huge raccoon I trapped was responsible in some way for whatever killed my poor old kitty. I sure will miss her. And I am glad that horrible raccoon is dead and buried! Now I need to find Lady so she can be buried, too, and I can open the kitty door back up for Edward to get into the front porch again.
    Last edited by Martinhouse; 03-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.

All of the kale tops I planted back out in the greenhouse are doing great. Even the ones that had not rooted and the few little sections of stalk that has leaves starting out at joints are doing well and I'll bet they now have roots started since I've kept the soil damp for them.

If I can keep a few of these plants into the early summer and get seed from them I won't have to order any seed or buy more plants plus I will have learned a very nice way to grow more food than expected from one crop while waiting for it to be time to plant the next one.

And I'm REALLY hoping that some of the little kale side shoots will develop seed heads. If they do, I can use this method to get seeds from kale plants growing outdoors, by keeping it low enough to fit under my screen cages so the worms can't destroy them.

Adapt 2030 has a new podcast out today, and it may well express what many of us are thinking - we believe GSM is happening and don't need convincing. Now it's time to prepare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_MWXLjVuQ

(MIAC #190) Are You Noticing Something Isn’t Right with the Planet?

Run time is 21:51

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    Adapt 2030 has a new podcast out today, and it may well express what many of us are thinking - we believe GSM is happening and don't need convincing. Now it's time to prepare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_MWXLjVuQ

(MIAC #190) Are You Noticing Something Isn’t Right with the Planet?

Run time is 21:51

Kein Krieg für Israel!

All of the kale tops I planted back out in the greenhouse are doing great. Even the ones that had not rooted and the few little sections of stalk that has leaves starting out at joints are doing well and I'll bet they now have roots started since I've kept the soil damp for them.

If I can keep a few of these plants into the early summer and get seed from them I won't have to order any seed or buy more plants plus I will have learned a very nice way to grow more food than expected from one crop while waiting for it to be time to plant the next one.

And I'm REALLY hoping that some of the little kale side shoots will develop seed heads. If they do, I can use this method to get seeds from kale plants growing outdoors, by keeping it low enough to fit under my screen cages so the worms can't destroy them.
    I planted kale seeds in rock will inserts a few days ago, and they are sprouted. They are all going into individual net cups later today. So far, everything is growing very well in the Kratky set-up with Master Blend solution.

Love seeing lots of little sprouts in the Spring.

Faroe, I do, too. And I hope everyone trying new ways to grow things knows that this is the time of year that so many things just WANT to sprout and might do so when at a different time of year they would not.

It was reckless of me, but I SURE they were dead. The Brandywine tomato was dated 2012 (first time I planted it, not the seed harvest date). The others were mostly 2013/2014. I guess the boa tank is the perfect temp. Surprising quick germination - maybe sympathetic reptilian vibes too...don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to have about 500 tomato and basil plants.
    Maybe the neighbors will take some.
    Free to a Good Home.
    As a greenhouse grower our seed are very expensive and timing is very important. So we bleach treat our solanaceous seed(tomatoes, peppers, eggplant). This will prevent damping off and promote germination especially if the seeds are old. So we bleach treat prior to planting.

To bleach treat seeds

You will need
    2 glass or ceramic bowls
    A small strainer
    Full strength bleach (without additives)

The process.
    Make a 20% bleach to water mixture. 2 oz. bleach to 8 oz water. Close is ok.
    Soak seeds in bleach mix for 10 min.
    Fill bowl with clear water
    Use strainer to remove seeds from bleach.
    Carefully run under faucet to remove excess bleach.
    Place seed in clear water bowl for planting.

Do not treat more than you plan to plant.
    This method has been proven to increase germination in 10 year old seed.

deleted not worth the time.
    Last edited by Stanb999; 03-17-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Stan, this thread is for learning about a Grand Solar Minimum and about ways to deal with it.

You have said that the world can deal with it this time because of our technology. However, this GSM, which has barely started, could last years, if not decades, and we are already seeing buildings collapsing under huge snowfalls and tremendous traffic problems with roads impassable and countless vehicles at a standstill or even crumpled or overturned on or alongside the roads. (And what about that dam that was destroyed?) What if one of those buildings is the factory that makes those chemicals you need for your way of growing food? Or the warehouse that stores them? What if one of those trucks was delivering those chemicals? Or if it was the UPS truck delivering those chemicals or some other vital order to you? And there have already been enough crop failures worldwide that I sure wouldn't want to depend on the potatoes, beans, and rice, etc., always being available in stores, as you've mentioned before.

If this sort of thing is happening already, technology ISN'T going to deal with it. And none of us is going to want to move outside of a big city and invest thousands of dollars so we can sell salad to restaurants that no one can get to any more or afford, even if any are still operating.

I moved to this slab of limestone 42 years ago and by now am in the position that if the lights went out tomorrow, I and several others could live indefinitely with what I have made of it.

When I said this is the time of year that things like best to sprout, notice that I said some things, which doesn't necessarily mean seed only, and I said sprout, not germinate. And so please grant that I may be speaking from experience just as much as you are, and please stop being so quick to tell me and other's like me that you are right and we are wrong.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Martinhouse; 03-17-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Just thought I'd mention for anyone who's interested...on all the little side shoots that have appeared and grown on the kale stumps I left growing in the greenhouse, seed tops are starting to appear. So it looks like I might get lots of seed of this type of kale before it's warm enough for whatever makes those accursed worms to show up. This is the curly kale from the garden center last fall and I think it is called Winterbore, which I'm pretty sure is not a hybrid. I should know in a few days if the seed stalks are going to form up properly. None of these plants is more than a foot high and even with a good stalk of seeds they will be short enough that they would fit under my screen cages.