Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52
Results 2,041 to 2,045 of 2045
    TxGal, I recommend that you keep TWO roosters any time there is no broody hen setting a new batch. That way it won't be a calamity if you lose the rooster and there's no way to get another. (like no power to run an incubator or no more ordering from a feed store) Or have two all the time and with a little pen for one roo, let them take turns being in with the hens. This might be good to do if you can find a second rooster from a totally different bloodline.

I agree that chickens are the most important. I just wish I had my old dog that kept the varmints away so I could once again free range them.

Rabbits could be second most important as one can often forage and grow enough for them year round. And even if you don't use them for meat, they make the best manure for the garden and will be a good source of pet food if you're not buying anything any more. A few eggs for the pets could make up for some of the fats that rabbit doesn't provide.

Speaking of fats, does the oil separate from other nut butters like it does in peanut butter? I have an old hand crank meat grinder that clamps to the table and one of the blades is a nut butter blade. If I needed to make my own oil I would use this instead of a seed press (which isn't in my budget) and give the leftover mash to the chickens. Probably sunflower seed, since I imagine summers will soon be to short and too cool to grow peanuts.

I decided some time ago that I will likely have to give up growing peanuts, okra, and sweet potatoes. They would grow in the greenhouse, but not sure it would be worth the trouble and the crowding they would cause. Wish there were space to expand the greenhouse, but there simply is not.

Quote Originally Posted by von Koehler View Post
    Still haven't figured out how to capture, copy and paste Twitter images.

von Koehler
    Have you tried the Snipping Tool that comes with Windows?

Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    TxGal, I recommend that you keep TWO roosters any time there is no broody hen setting a new batch. That way it won't be a calamity if you lose the rooster and there's no way to get another. (like no power to run an incubator or no more ordering from a feed store) Or have two all the time and with a little pen for one roo, let them take turns being in with the hens. This might be good to do if you can find a second rooster from a totally different bloodline.

I agree that chickens are the most important. I just wish I had my old dog that kept the varmints away so I could once again free range them.

Rabbits could be second most important as one can often forage and grow enough for them year round. And even if you don't use them for meat, they make the best manure for the garden and will be a good source of pet food if you're not buying anything any more. A few eggs for the pets could make up for some of the fats that rabbit doesn't provide.

Speaking of fats, does the oil separate from other nut butters like it does in peanut butter? I have an old hand crank meat grinder that clamps to the table and one of the blades is a nut butter blade. If I needed to make my own oil I would use this instead of a seed press (which isn't in my budget) and give the leftover mash to the chickens. Probably sunflower seed, since I imagine summers will soon be to short and too cool to grow peanuts.

I decided some time ago that I will likely have to give up growing peanuts, okra, and sweet potatoes. They would grow in the greenhouse, but not sure it would be worth the trouble and the crowding they would cause. Wish there were space to expand the greenhouse, but there simply is not.
    We always have 2 roos for just that reason. We lose about 1 a year to predators. They beat on each other a bit until they figure out who is top bird.

If you look online there is an old article from MEN that shows an oil press that you can make. it isn't as efficient as a Piteba but it would probably be better than just letting it settle.

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    We always have 2 roos for just that reason. We lose about 1 a year to predators. They beat on each other a bit until they figure out who is top bird.

If you look online there is an old article from MEN that shows an oil press that you can make. it isn't as efficient as a Piteba but it would probably be better than just letting it settle.
    I keep three or four roosters, even though I don't have a huge flock of hens, to make sure that if I couldn't get any more roosters, my flock wouldn't get inbred.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45