Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82
Results 3,241 to 3,256 of 3256
    Ah, the bomb squad arrives in the nick of time! Summerthyme, you are remarkable.
    -----
    I remember NAIS! It was ridiculous to the point of being unenforceable. Guess that's why it just sort of faded away. Like I was going to fill out papers every time a possum ate a chicken!

Oh, the Census? We get it... it makes fine chicken bedding. We filled it out dutifully for years (if we actually had a government we coukd trust, we'd be happier about giving information tgat *should be used for the good of the nation*... but we doubt that's the case.

When it started getting ridiculously intrusive, we stopped responding, i doubt they'd try fining a farmer.,, and most of the Amish don't send them back... but they can't harass them via telephone. God bless Caller I.D.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    Ah, the bomb squad arrives in the nick of time! Summerthyme, you are remarkable.
    -----
    I remember NAIS! It was ridiculous to the point of being unenforceable. Guess that's why it just sort of faded away. Like I was going to fill out papers every time a possum ate a chicken!
    It didnt fade away. Unfortunately it will return. The push for total traceability isnt stopping. The big guys can't sell internationally without "gap plus" certification. Gap plus requires birth to slaughter house tracing. They have more money to lobby the state house than you.

Nais is mandatory in several states for cattle. Scrapie tags are necessary in all states if you transport goats or sheep. In order to sell a chicken or pigs you need a premis id. Unless you start eating horses, they aren't a big food safety concern. I do reccomend it.. eating horse ☺. Lots of good red meat.

Now that suggesting n to eat a horse just made me sad. I’d have to be real hungry before I ate a friend...
    Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    Now that suggesting n to eat a horse just made me sad. Id have to be real hungry before I ate a friend...
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

The only time any of the regulations actually affected me was when I took some goat kids to the local livestock auction -- I didn't have tags in their ears, and they charged me six dollars per to put tags in. Other than that, I have successfully ignored it with no consequences. But I'm pretty sure that *someone* knows where nearly every head of large livestock lives.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Not trying to be nasty. TxGal, I'm relieved to learn that I'm not posting alone from some alternative universe.

We rent our large NM acreage to a guy with cattle, and that is registered, but for property tax purposes. I get all that. On the other hand, a decent backyard garden, and couple of fruit trees can easily blow past $1000 per year, and NO one I have ever known, in numerous states, was EVER keeping track! Farmers markets transactions are generally cash. Nearly every back yard in this town has at least one pecan tree. It is common to drive to Cruces to sell the nuts to one of the wholesalers. We have never hit $1000, with ours, but other people do - nobody ever mentions registering any of this. The check is an IRS issue, not an ag issue.

I'll leave off the topic from here on out.
    Faroe, I wasn't referring to you at all :-) We have less than a handful of folks who get testy quickly and pop off comments that can cause problems. I have found the ignore feature to be handy.

I agree with you, and we have many similar observations and experiences. There can be a huge difference between those who read about life with livestock, and those that live the life. One of which is that we are the ones who don't sleep much, and I can add are often out taking care of our animals for hours at a time in weather that keeps most people inside, and we worry about and take care of their needs before our own.

We also don't have a census here. If other states do, I wouldn't be too surprised, but not in Texas, at least not in our part. I'm not at home right now, but we do keep our auction receipts and we do have many deductions that go to the state and organizations within the state, I can check that later. I'm trying to catch up on the thread. One point is that our cattle do not have to be ear tagged. Our registered animals are ear tattooed as a requirement of the association, not the state. When they get to the auction they slap stick a number on their hips for auction purposes, but any ear tagging (if done) is done by the new owner, generally, as they often have their own color/numbering system. Some here still do branding, even with registered horses.

I think this subject has well been beaten into the ground. Probably where it belongs!

We are definitely on the same page :-)
    Last edited by TxGal; Yesterday at 10:37 AM.

-----
    Isn't she great?! I've also had some conversations with Dennis when necessary, very kind and helpful :-)

Anyone heard anything from von Koehler? I'm hoping he just burned our from all the work he was doing on this thread, and stepped away for a while. It's always a good thing, and he was spending a lot of time bringing information over.

Hope your weather is improving, but I'm not sure it is. We've got 1 day in 10 that looks like we'll see the sun. I'm still wondering how the heck our garden is going to do this year. Onions are holding, but it's been so wet I still don't have the seed potatoes in. I need to go check out bedding plants at the garden centers. We have an almond tree that is in full bloom, but we've never gotten any almonds to stay on the tree long. We keep getting freezing spells.

TxGal, my ten-day forecast shows Partly Cloudy with temps in the 50s from Sunday through Thursday and then colder again. Lately, as we get closer to those partly cloudy days, they get changed to cloudy or cloudy/showers or variations of such.

I'm planning to run into town tomorrow and hoping the plants are in. I hope to get everything I need in one trip, including strawberry and raspberry plants. There is so much new growth on the kale and broccoli stumps in my greenhouse container that I'm wondering if I should even spend anything on new bedding plants of those two items. Of course, I could get maybe a dozen of each, rather than the three dozen of each I got last fall! I want to look for wheat seed, too, but not sure that what the health food store sells for sprouting is the winter wheat type. I just can't see myself getting a 50# sack of it at the feed store and then storing that much in canning jars, plus I doubt they'd have winter wheat this time of year, anyway.

Probably I'll wait and hope I can buy a bale of the nice wheat straw a different feed store should have in by May.

I hate going anywhere now because flu has just gotten into full swing here. My sister's daughter-in-law is a PA and she said her clinic is swamped with flu cases. I'll have to set my alarm, I guess, and force myself out into the dark and cold of pre-dawn to do my shopping. I find when I hit the stores as they open at 7 AM, there are nearly no other people around.

Today I may go to my smaller town and get more of the 30 gallon barrels to cut in half. Still haven't found anyone to cut them for me, but I'll do it myself if I have to, even if I can do only one a day with a rest day in between each one.

I'm starting to think we won't hear from von Koehler any more. I'm resigned to seeing the charts and graphs and other info from the podcasts you link to and on the odd occasion when Felix posts them. I certainly don't know how to find all that information myself! But since most of us don't need convincing any more, I think this thread will still do fine as long as we all keep sharing as we've been doing.

I am SO READY for spring!

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post

We also don't have a census here. If other states do, I wouldn't be too surprised, but not in Texas, at least not in our part. I'm not at home right now, but we do keep our auction receipts and we do have many deductions that go to the state and organizations within the state, I can check that later. I'm trying to catch up on the thread. One point is that our cattle do not have to be ear tagged. Our registered animals are ear tattooed as a requirement of the association, not the state. When they get to the auction they slap stick a number on their hips for auction purposes, but any ear tagging (if done) is done by the new owner, generally, as they often have their own color/numbering system. Some here still do branding, even with registered horses.

I think this subject has well been beaten into the ground. Probably where it belongs!

We are definitely on the same page :-)
    You have the census... it's done by the USDA.. or is Texas not part of the USA?

TxGal, my ten-day forecast shows Partly Cloudy with temps in the 50s from Sunday through Thursday and then colder again. Lately, as we get closer to those partly cloudy days, they get changed to cloudy or cloudy/showers or variations of such.

I'm planning to run into town tomorrow and hoping the plants are in. I hope to get everything I need in one trip, including strawberry and raspberry plants. There is so much new growth on the kale and broccoli stumps in my greenhouse container that I'm wondering if I should even spend anything on new bedding plants of those two items. Of course, I could get maybe a dozen of each, rather than the three dozen of each I got last fall! I want to look for wheat seed, too, but not sure that what the health food store sells for sprouting is the winter wheat type. I just can't see myself getting a 50# sack of it at the feed store and then storing that much in canning jars, plus I doubt they'd have winter wheat this time of year, anyway.

Probably I'll wait and hope I can buy a bale of the nice wheat straw a different feed store should have in by May.

I hate going anywhere now because flu has just gotten into full swing here. My sister's daughter-in-law is a PA and she said her clinic is swamped with flu cases. I'll have to set my alarm, I guess, and force myself out into the dark and cold of pre-dawn to do my shopping. I find when I hit the stores as they open at 7 AM, there are nearly no other people around.

Today I may go to my smaller town and get more of the 30 gallon barrels to cut in half. Still haven't found anyone to cut them for me, but I'll do it myself if I have to, even if I can do only one a day with a rest day in between each one.

I'm starting to think we won't hear from von Koehler any more. I'm resigned to seeing the charts and graphs and other info from the podcasts you link to and on the odd occasion when Felix posts them. I certainly don't know how to find all that information myself! But since most of us don't need convincing any more, I think this thread will still do fine as long as we all keep sharing as we've been doing.

I am SO READY for spring!

Yep, I'm also beginning to think he's not coming back. It's unfortunate, but I guess it's just one of those things. At least he gave the thread a great start and posted a boatload of scientific info. As you said, those of us who already believe don't need anymore convincing. We just need to do what we can to take care of ourselves, our family and friends, etc. Opsec applies, of course.

I don't know how you accomplish as much as you do! I always learn something from your posts, and get ideas on what to try. You've got me thinking again. :-)

We have some flu out our way, but many, many people are dealing with spring allergies right now. We had so much rainfall that when the temps warmed up a bit, so much came into bloom at once. Oak pollen is particularly terrible this year. Lots of people with sinus and ear infections, along with bronchitis and asthma flare-ups. The one good thing is that these intense pollen bursts usually pass quickly. Even though we haven't had much flu, we do the exact same thing - avoid crowds, shop when the storms are usually less crowded, etc.

Now that I've read what you're planning, I'm really getting the urge to go to the garden centers....all of them!

Adapt 2030 has another podcast out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSJTuNVDm4

Winter Storm PETRA, Record Snow Roofs Collapse Canada (793)

Synopsis from the webpage: Published on Feb 21, 2019

As winter Storm Petra bears down on the US with thunderstorms to the South, ice in the east and massive snows to the desert S.W Quebec received record snow that is collapsing roofs, Saskatchewan coldest in 80 year, and Las Vegas record snow. The grand solar minimum continues to intensify.

Run time is 8:13

TxGal, thanks for the link, as always.

I wonder if there will ever be enough snow here in north central Arkansas to collapse my roof? The first ten years I was here we had some pretty cold winters with lots of snow and ice. 1977 to 1987. But we had the normal well-defined seasons. Long springs and autumns, medium length winters and summers. The biggest snow we had back then was 17" one time and it got so cold that most of Arkansas ran out of PVC pipe for replacing broken water lines.

It really hasn't been exceptionally cold here this year. Just chilly because there's so little sun. And we've gotten more rain than we usually do in different months than we used to. I am hoping that Arkansas is far enough south that the GSM won't be too deadly. And that there will be enough sun to at least grow potatoes and greens and maybe a few various other root crops.

I didn't go buy more barrels today and hope to do so on the way home tomorrow if I can cram all my other shopping on the itty-bitty passenger side of my truck. I just couldn't pry myself out of the house today, even though I got a good night's sleep. Tomorrow AM will be warmer and easier to go out into the dark of early morning. After reading about Venezuela, I am going to force myself to set the alarm clock and get up early.

Oh, how I hate winter!

I spent a few days deep cleaning and canning some tag ends in the freezer. Those days were partly cloudy, lots of sun, and warm. Now that you could do surgery on my floor it is so clean, I woke this morning to misty rain which means with all the pups and my big feet, here comes the mud. Mother Nature truly has a sense of humor.

The Carrot crowns I rooted from two separate sources had very different results. The "organic" all are bushy and green. The other ones all died. The rabbits will at least have greens to munch on.

The Cabbage crowns are interesting too. The cabbages were left in the shed until I could get around to processing them and grew 1/2" roots. I planted them in the garden and every one of them has five little cabbages forming in a circle around the main crown. Once they grow large enough to have roots of their own, I will split them apart. They are mulched with bunny hay and happy in this weather.

There is a bunch of dandelion growing in a side lot. Does anyone know if I can dry it?
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

You can dehydrate dandelion leaf for tea. I find it too bitter but I find red clover flower tea too sweet, so I mix them half and half and it is perfect. I also add mullein and a pinch of cleavers, also dehydrated, because they are said to be good for the lungs.

Transplant some dandelions into garden dirt that's rich with bunny or chicken manure. The leaves will get three inches wide and over a foot long and each plant can be a foot and a half in diameter! I've done this both in pots and in the ground.

I found raspberry, blackberry, and strawberry plants in town this morning, but no bedding plants yet.

I will have to go back in tomorrow morning to the gas station, the feed store, and Dollar General in my small town. By then I should have made up my mind for sure if I want to get more barrels to saw in half for more gardening containers. If Lowe's didn't have bedding plants, I doubt my small town feed store will have them, but I can at least get the onion sets and planting potatoes.
    '
    It will feel good to know I'll have what I need for the years planting, if the flu gets so bad here that I don't dare go anywhere at all.