Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 113 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,320 of 4502
    Seeker22, I rub the dried kale and broccoli leaves through a colander so I have what you'd call a fine flake or coarse powder. I put it in rice and in potato soup, and a few other things I may be able to eat.

I can't wear dentures and my elderly swallower doesn't work very well any more, so I have a VERY limited diet and try to get as much nutrition as I can without running the risk of choking, which can be pretty scary when one lives alone. Since I loathe even the smell of green vegetables cooking, let alone their taste, the fine flakes of dehydrated leaves are almost my only way of getting vegetables.

I have a Vegematic chopper which I bought in the late 1960s plus another I found at a yard sale much later, but I enjoy sitting at the computer watching movies and chopping things for canning or dehydrating while I'm watching justifies the time spent sitting.

Martinhouse, I am very sorry you are having trouble swallowing. Have you discussed this with your doctor. My mother has received treatment which helps. Good luck.

Thanks, LC.

When my longtime regular doctor retired, I was "assigned" to a new doctor who is Dr. Personality Minus. Otherwise referred to by me as "Dr. Dumb-as-a-stump". I am lucky that I haven't felt the need to actually go see him for going on four years now. I went to him when I first started getting spells where suddenly my legs would get weak and shaky and I'd have to sit down or at least hold onto something. He checked me for various infections, with blood work, and then told me he couldn't find anything wrong with me. I haven't gone back since.

Also, I can't handle the summer air-conditioning in those tiny examining rooms, and I wouldn't set foot in a doctor's office during flu season unless I were already dying, so I just do what I can to live with whatever ails me at any particular time. Sometimes it's not pleasant, but I'd probably be dead from taking prescription drugs by now if I'd gone the usual route, so I'll just have to live with my various problems until one of them eventually does me in. I'm okay with that.

Martinhouse I have swallowing problems also. I had my esophagas stretched 3 times for an out of pocket of $3000. and it only lasted 6 months.

Since then I've been using supplements of gelatin and aloe vera daily and it helps some.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...-a-pole-shift/

Magnetic Poles Are Moving Rapidly as Never Before – Precursor to a Pole Shift?

Posted Jan 12, 2019 by Martin Armstrong

The magnetic poles on the Sun flip about every 11 years. Since nobody lives there, we really have no idea what the effects would be. On Earth, the major pole shifts that are permanent tend to be in the 720,000 years range. So once again, there was nobody around to record what really happens. I have previously warned that the North Magnetic Pole was moving away from Canada and headed in the opposite direction toward Europe.

For most of the 1900s, the physical North Pole was moving westwards around 10 cm each year towards Canada’s Hudson Bay. Then all of a sudden, in 2000, it changed direction moving 75 degrees eastwards and began moving east at a rate of around 17 cm annually. Nobody has ever witnessed such a change. This is completely unprecedented! Now the North Magnetic Pole is moving rapidly and erratically. Today it is now moving at a pace of 55 km PER YEAR!!!!! This is creating a real crisis because the entire world GPS system was based upon a fairly stationary locate for the North Pole.

The North Pole was previously in Hudson Bay about 54,000 until 48,000 years ago at 60 N and 83 W. Perhaps it is like lightning and just never strikes twice in the same spot. Now it is instead moving toward the British Isles according to NASA. Magnetic poles are defined in different ways but are commonly understood as positions on the Earth’s surface where the geomagnetic field is vertical. These north and south positions, called dip poles, do not need to be opposite of each other. In 1831, James Clark Ross located the north dip pole position in northern Canada. Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) tracked the North Magnetic Pole, which is slowly drifting across the Canadian Arctic, by periodically carrying out magnetic surveys to reestablish the Pole’s location from 1948 to 1994. An international collaboration, led by a French fundraising association, Poly-Arctique, and involving NRCan, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris, and Bureau de Recherche Geologique et Miniere, added two locations of the North Magnetic Pole in 2001 and 2007. The most recent survey determined that the Pole is moving approximately north-northwest at 55 km per year.

First of all, there are two types of pole shifts. While the MAJOR pole shifts appear to be 720,000-year cycles, there are also what are known as excursions. The last “excursion” took place around 41,000 years ago and it was also associated with an Ice Age. This excursion was, in fact, a Global Event from all the data and these tend to be just short-term flips that are not permanent. Factoring in that data with the broader more permanent reversals warns that we are potentially in line for such a major event and it may, in fact, line up with the Economic Confidence Model come 2032. This could be an explanation for the extremely cold winters since 2015.

A pole shift can be far more rapid than previously anticipated. I believe that people prefer to assume uniformity rather than a catastrophe. A stalagmite-based paleomagnetic record of the post-Blake excursion reveals details of repeated polarity drifts have occurred during periods of low geomagnetic field intensity at 100 thousand years before present. One surprisingly abrupt centennial reversal transition occurred in 144,000 provides unprecedented evidence that raises fundamental questions about the speed of geomagnetic field shifts. Such rapid polarity changes could severely affect satellites and human society in the future if the current geomagnetic field intensity continues to decrease. This sudden rapid movement of 55 km a year may be a warning of such a pending shift becoming imminent.

We know that 120,000 years ago the North Pole was in the territory of Yukon in Canada at 63 N and 135 W; then it went to the Greenland Sea at 72 N and 10 E about 84,000 years ago, moved from 54,000 until 48,000 years ago and settle in the middle of Hudson Bay at 60 N and 83 W; it rested there for 30,000 years, then wandered once again from about 18,000 to about 12,000 years ago when it came to its present location. However, there are actually four poles, which most people are never taught in school. Former NASA engineer Maurice Chatelain (1988) argued that during the Hudson Bay period (48,000 to 18,000 years ago) the equator was in fact 30 degrees further south in South America. It most likely passed through central Chile and Argentina. Antarctica was most likely free of all ice. That could explain the existence of the map of Antarctica without ice that has been found.

This rapid movement is striking alarm bells everywhere from a navigational perspective. During the past 150 years, the pole shift has been in the same direction. The most astonishing fact is that since 2000, the magnetic North Pole has shifted nearly half of the total distance of the past 50 years! In other words, the pole shift has apparently picked up speed so much so that they have had to re-calibrate airports and their GPS signals so planes can still find them. This rapid movement of 55km a year can really alter transportation.

But the directional change is even more alarming for Europe. The summer in Europe barely saw many real scorching hot days but the winters are getting colder. In 2012, even the waterways in Venice were icing over. Germany relies upon its canal system to move goods and agriculture. In 2012, the canals froze. The canals in the Netherlands were not freezing during the winter during the global warming period. That changed in 2009. Hamburg was frozen to the bone in 2010.

They are calling 2017 the Year without an Arctic Summer. The Greenland Ice Sheet gained near-record amounts of ice. Very little melting has occurred this summer. The Canadian Coast Guard reported that the Atlantic Ice in Canada was increasing in the winter of 2018. The extreme cold temperatures and the high winds have been combining to expand the Arctic ice this season. There is a natural cycle to this and they have reported that the seasonal “freeze up” is occurring three to four weeks ahead of normal and above the 30-year average.

This winter is once again extremely cold. It has only been in the 60/70s here in Tampa and the same is true in Abu Dhabi. If next year 2019/2020 is colder still, this will be the fourth year and at then we would decline at a bare minimum very steeply into 2021/2022, where our models on markets are predicting a shocking event.

The migration of the magnetic poles could be a major factor in creating these cold winters. If the former NASA engineer Maurice Chatelain is correct that the equator was in fact 30 degrees further south in South America between 48,000 and 13,000 years ago passing through central Chile and Argentina with Antarctica being ice-free, then I guess I was wrong and did not move far enough south.

We do know that the Sahara Desert was once lush, tropical, and full of animals 6,000 years ago. There is debate over the true origin of the Sphinx in Egypt. Many consider that it predates the Egyptian culture dating as far back as 10,000 BC when a Lion would have faced the constellation, Leo. If Chatelain is correct, then perhaps the movement in the pole also altered the climate dramatically sending the equator 30 degrees lower.

It is not likely that we will all just die because of such a pole shift. There are no mass distinctions that have been discovered less than 50,000 years ago. Perhaps the dinosaurs were the victims of a pole shift that caused a volcanic winter or there was an asteroid that hit the Earth according to abundant geological evidence that was about 10 km (6 miles) in diameter and struck the Earth about 65 million years ago. This probably killed roughly 3/4 of all the species that existed at that time. So barring a strike by an asteroid, a pole shift does not appear to create a mass extinction.
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

I have an issue with the above post. On the main the magnetic pole wander is an ongoing discussion and some are confusing magnetic pole with polar axis. It appears this author also is confused:

Former NASA engineer Maurice Chatelain (1988) argued that during the Hudson Bay period (48,000 to 18,000 years ago) the equator was in fact 30 degrees further south in South America. It most likely passed through central Chile and Argentina. Antarctica was most likely free of all ice. That could explain the existence of the map of Antarctica without ice that has been found.
    The earth's axis varies by 3 degrees at most over time. By including this bit of dubious info it almost invalidates the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandune View Post
    I have an issue with the above post. On the main the magnetic pole wander is an ongoing discussion and some are confusing magnetic pole with polar axis. It appears this author also is confused:

The earth's axis varies by 3 degrees at most over time. By including this bit of dubious info it almost invalidates the article.
    For me, it DOES invalidate the article. We are speaking about scientific issues that will impact J6P. Food scarcity, possible starvation, having to leave their homes and find warmer climes... Unfortunately, most of them do not understand the science behind these things and are easily confused. Panic is possible because of a wrong definition which should have been fact-checked before the article went to press. People are stretched pretty thin these days.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Martinhouse, you are not alone in swallowing problems. I have it off and on (I'm always cautious), and I know a handful of other people that also do...all due to a variety of problems.

Just an FYI, when researching the problem some time back, I stumbled onto an article about nursing homes and nutrition for the elderly. Swallowing difficulties were common, and a very good, proactive nursing staff found a workaround for the problem that was really helping their residents. They started to puree their food in a little food processor, getting it to the consistency of baby food or a somewhat thick soup depending on the patient's abilities and preferences (either separate or a mix of foods). What they found after time is that the overall health of the patients improved because their nutrition improved. Something like beef stew or a chicken, rice, and a vegetable dinner, pureed, provides a lot of flavor and nutrition while working around the patient's swallowing difficulties. The little processors aren't expensive and even Walmart and Amazon carry them. We have one, it might be worth a try. I've gotten to where I hate soup with chunks of anything, even my homemade, but I'll put it in the processor and it's a great consistency with a lot of nutrition and flavor.

von Koehler, great article, thank you! I'm still reading it a few times to comprehend it all.

Really glad to see you posting :-)

Yes, thanks for this article. I, too, am reading it more than once.

TxGal, the little food processor sounds great, but since nowadays I try to not depend on electric things any more than I have to,I'd sure like to find a manual one if there is such a thing. My diet is down to a very few basics, now, and I doubt I'd want to get back into cooking like I used to. Plus, some of the things I used to eat just wouldn't be the same if pureed. Like popcorn, pizza, tomato/onion/swiss sandwiches, salads and raw broccoli...

I just try to eat enough of the few nutritious things I can swallow and force myself to eat at least one decent meal a day, even though I don't actually feel hungry very often any more.

Guess I won't have too much trouble growing enough to feed myself during a GSM, will I?

MH - just a little suggestion. Keep some coca-cola around. If you get choked (not as in cutting off your airway, but feeling like food is stuck in your esophagus), try drinking some. The effervescence may help to dislodge the bolus of food and let it go down (or up where you can spit it out).

Martinhouse, there are manual food processors. I bought one for y2k but never used it, so I don’t know how well they work. I’ll bet Lehman’s, the store Amish use, would have something on that order. They have an online site.

I have a hiatal hernia, and it causes me to not be able to swallow at times. I have found that taking a drink before I start eating helps somewhat...sort of primes the pipes, lol. I also learned that putting a couple drops of spearmint essential oil in a glass of water relaxes the esophagus somewhat. If something starts to stress me while I’m eating, I will tense up and not be able to swallow sometimes. I have started to insist all talk at the supper table be kept pleasant. Lol

I hope you find something to make it easier for you!
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Moldy, I always have Coke around. It's the one thing that settles my stomach when I feel nauseous. And that's almost every day because eggs make me feel yucky. I eat them anyway because I like them scrambled andthey are such a perfect source of nutrition, but the nausea remains most of the day if I don't drink some Coke afterwards.

My swallowing problem is more that a bad swallow sends some of the food or drink up onto the top of my soft palate and then enough into my windpipe that it constricts when I start coughing. THAT"S the scary part and I've learned to just relax and hold the cough as long as I can and then try to clear it.

Dinghy, I think all my swallowing and reflux problems are from arthritis in the spine, particularly the lower part of my neck and then the area of my worsening scoliosis. The reflux comes with the muscle spasms in the entire center of my torso and the swallowing is worse when my neck is especially sore. So I just try to eliminate those problems and live with what I can't.

Just hoping I last long enough to give myself a shot at dealing with this GSM. So far, it's been interesting and I suspect it will get downright fascinating in the next few years. If I were thirty years younger, it would be the greatest adventure I could wish for!
    Last edited by Martinhouse; 01-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.

For 'pureeing' food without electricity, how about a manual food grinder/meat grinder? With the proper cutter blade or plate, they can process foods very finely. Not quite as smooth as babyfood, but it might still be easier to swallow.

Kathleen, who used to make babyfood the Eskimo way, by chewing whatever we were eating, then feeding it to the baby. Alternatively, by just thorough mashing with a fork, though chewing works better with meats.
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    von Koehler, great article, thank you! I'm still reading it a few times to comprehend it all.

Really glad to see you posting :-)
    There is a lull in the madness. Really didn't feel up to doing much.

von Koehler

Kein Krieg für Israel!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Foley-Food-Mill-Ricer-Masher-Strainer-Baby-Food-Maker-Red-Wood-Handle/273242004662?hash=item3f9e7e1cb6:gUwAAOSwFFZbDFjA:rk:2f:0

This thing will make puree. There are more modern Foley food processors out there, this one is an oldie. Mashed potatoes made with this are sublime.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Adapt 2030 put out a new podcast yesterday. Can't tell much from the title, but it's about changing weather, crops losses, and changing growing conditions that countries are not ready for. Very important podcast, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARVKe03RWUg

(MIAC #166) If You Were a Global Leader What Would You Do?

Run time 29:57

He also talks about fruit walls in old France during the Maunder Minimum. Here's a link to some pics:

https://99percentinvisible.org/artic...icro-climates/

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015...n-farming.html

Seeker22, I have always owned at least one Foley Food Mill. I use it for a lot of things and last year I used it for the potatoes I made into my canned mashed potato soup. (This year I added water and used the blender...easier on my neck and bad shoulder.)

The new ones are not as good quality as the older ones, even if the older ones are somewhat dull. Naturally.

TxGal, thanks for posting another Adapt2030 podcast. I look forward to listening to them while I'm doing things that require visual attention. If I think I've missed a picture, I can always back up and look at it.

Von Koehler, what ever you feel up to posting for us, it is very much appreciated. My brother in Iowa just told me they have about 4-5" of snow on the ground and it's still snowing. Are you getting the same weather where you are?

TxGal, I just watched the new Adapt2039 podcast. It was good, and following it I watched a year-old interview with John Casey which was excellent.

Martinhouse, Adapt2030 has had some good ones. I thought I was keeping up, but apparently not.

The below segment was on our local news feed out of Bryan/College Station, TX, about the cotton harvest. I've mentioned recently how much trouble one farmer has had out our way getting in his cotton (he didn't, it's still in the field). This article and video explains what another farmer has experienced, his cotton crops are a total loss:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Co...504153511.html

Cotton Harvest Is Over

By Todd Carroll |

Posted: Thu 7:24 AM, Jan 10, 2019

If you’ve driven through the Brazos River Bottom west of Bryan College Station you’ve probably noticed cotton in the field that hasn’t been picked and remnants of some harvested crops that haven’t been plowed under. That’s courtesy of the wet fall we experienced. Jay Wilder grows cotton in Burleson County.

“Since we last visited prior to Thanksgiving we haven’t been able to harvest any more cotton at all. It’s just been rain after rain after rain. The ground is so saturated it won’t support any kind of machinery at all as far as our cotton pickers or where we were able to pick, we haven’t been able to absolutely any field work. It just won’t hold the machines up.”

Wilder has about three hundred acres of cotton still in the field that won’t be salvageable.

“The grades on the lint itself have gone down so much that buyers aren’t wanting to buy it or the end user’s not able to use it. The seed quality in the cotton itself is beyond usable areas there. They’re getting seed fragment now in the lint, which when that happens the buyer will not buy it.”

So harvest is over, but Wilder isn’t able to get to work on 2019.

“We’ve got twenty-five hundred acres of farmland. We may have three hundred of that that’s been shredded and plowed. We have absolutely no rows up to start with. No fertilizer out. No herbicides out. Anything we would have done typically in the fall has not been done. So I don’t know what our game plan will really be because we’ve never been in this situation.”

Wilder says it will take a minimum of a month with no rain for them to be able to get back into the field.

“It’s kind of a scary situation. I don’t know, I’ve never been in it and my Dad, he’s been doing this for sixty years. He’s never seen it this wet.”

Okay, I just watched this video, as well as reading the "transcript" of it. The pictures make an impact stronger than juts the printed word, don't they.

This type of message makes me realize more than ever that there will be more than just food that's in trouble from the changing weather patterns. Time to sit down and kind of scan my everyday life and really pin down the things I want to continue to be able to use when they are no longer available. Sort of a mental "day in the life of..." and paying attention to each thing I do and what I'm taking for granted right now.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...rm-gia-impacts

Winter Storm Gia: 5 Dead, Hundreds Stranded on Interstates and Thousands Without Power

By Pam Wright

Winter Storm Gia Causing Major Problems on the Road

It is not a good time to be on the roads in a area from the Midwest to the Atlantic Coast due to Winter Storm Gia.

At a Glance

Hundreds of people became stranded on Missouri roadways Friday night.
    Nearly 500 crashes, including 300 vehicles that slid off roadways, were reported Missouri.

Five people were killed in weather-related crashes.

A plane slid off a runway Friday afternoon at the airport in Columbia, Missouri.
    Winter Storm Gia continued its siege on the Midwest Saturday after leaving hundreds of motorists stranded on Missouri roads, causing scores of crashes, knocking out power to tens of thousands and killing at least five.

More than 100,000 Missouri customers were without power Saturday evening as more than a foot of heavy snow knocked down trees and power lines, according to PowerOutage.us.

The northbound lanes of Interstate 65 in northern Indiana have been closed for hours after a semi-trailer jackknifed along the snow-covered highway about 65 miles northwest of Indianapolis. Officials said the interstate would likely be reopened by early evening.

On Friday, more than 800 motorists became stranded during rush hour as falling snow made Missouri's Interstate 44 virtually impassable.

The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore, reporting Saturday morning from the interstate west of St. Louis, noted that many people remained stuck in conditions he called "horrible."

Some interstates in Missouri, including I-70 and I-44, reopened Saturday morning after being shutdown Friday night, but treacherous conditions continued.

At least three fatalities in Missouri are a result of weather-related crashes, local state police tweeted Friday night. The storm that has dumped up to 20 inches of snow in some areas of Missouri has also resulted in more than 2,000 calls for help and more than 175 crashes that left at least 40 people injured. Some 300 vehicles slid off the road by late Saturday morning, the Missouri State Highway Patrol

State police in Kansas also reported fatality crash related to the storm, KVOE reported. Bradley Horton, 62, of Topeka was killed after losing control of his pickup truck and striking the center barrier on the Kansas Turnpike. Horton reportedly was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

A second Kansas crash Friday evening involving two semi-trailers killed a 41-year-old driver from Mexico, the AP reports.

In a Saturday morning tweet, Missouri Gov. Mike Parson expressed concern and urged all residents to stay off the roads until conditions improved.

Friday afternoon, a plane slid off the runway after landing at Columbia Regional Airport in Columbia, Missouri, Rob Quinn tweeted shortly before 3:30 p.m. EST.

"Plane tipped - wing almost hitting the ground. ... I’m on exit row. Bus coming to get us. Stewardess just announced 'congratulations on surviving your first plane crash,'" he said in a tweet.

KOMU-TV reported the plane was American Airlines Flight 5766 from Dallas. The station said passenger Theresa Cook said there were no injuries. A bus sent to take passengers from the plane got stuck, and passengers had to be driven to the terminal three at a time.

In Iowa, southbound lanes of Interstate 35 near Decatur City remained closed Saturday morning after a passenger bus carrying seven passengers struck an overturned tractor-trailer, injuring one, the Associated Press reports.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...snow_us_26.png

Prediction totals for 19 January 2019

Kein Krieg für Israel!

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/png/US.png

Weekend Winter Storm Continues; Wet Upcoming Week for California

A widespread weekend winter storm continues to impact portions of the Ohio Valley into the Mid-Atlantic region. Heavy snow and freezing rain will produce hazardous travel conditions, as the storm system diminishes across the Ohio/Tennessee Valley before giving way to a developing coastal low along North Carolina. Meanwhile, an onslaught of moisture will take aim for California over the next week.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Great site for up to the minute space weather data and charts:

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communitie...er-enthusiasts

Kein Krieg für Israel!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00007-1

9 JANUARY 2019

Earth’s magnetic field is acting up and geologists don’t know why

Erratic motion of north magnetic pole forces experts to update model that aids global navigation.

by Alexandra Witze

The release of the World Magnetic Model has been postponed to 30 January due to the ongoing US government shutdown.

Something strange is going on at the top of the world. Earth’s north magnetic pole has been skittering away from Canada and towards Siberia, driven by liquid iron sloshing within the planet’s core. The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move.

On 15 January, they are set to update the World Magnetic Model, which describes the planet’s magnetic field and underlies all modern navigation, from the systems that steer ships at sea to Google Maps on smartphones.

The most recent version of the model came out in 2015 and was supposed to last until 2020 — but the magnetic field is changing so rapidly that researchers have to fix the model now. “The error is increasing all the time,” says Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA’s) National Centers for Environmental Information.

The problem lies partly with the moving pole and partly with other shifts deep within the planet. Liquid churning in Earth’s core generates most of the magnetic field, which varies over time as the deep flows change. In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean. Satellites such as the European Space Agency’s Swarm mission tracked the shift.

By early 2018, the World Magnetic Model was in trouble. Researchers from NOAA and the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh had been doing their annual check of how well the model was capturing all the variations in Earth’s magnetic field. They realized that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable limit for navigational errors.

Wandering pole

“That was an interesting situation we found ourselves in,” says Chulliat. “What’s happening?” The answer is twofold, he reported last month at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in Washington DC.

First, that 2016 geomagnetic pulse beneath South America came at the worst possible time, just after the 2015 update to the World Magnetic Model. This meant that the magnetic field had lurched just after the latest update, in ways that planners had not anticipated.

Source: World Data Center for Geomagnetism/Kyoto Univ.

Second, the motion of the north magnetic pole made the problem worse. The pole wanders in unpredictable ways that have fascinated explorers and scientists since James Clark Ross first measured it in 1831 in the Canadian Arctic. In the mid-1990s it picked up speed, from around 15 kilometres per year to around 55 kilometres per year. By 2001, it had entered the Arctic Ocean — where, in 2007, a team including Chulliat landed an aeroplane on the sea ice in an attempt to locate the pole.

In 2018, the pole crossed the International Date Line into the Eastern Hemisphere. It is currently making a beeline for Siberia.

The geometry of Earth’s magnetic field magnifies the model’s errors in places where the field is changing quickly, such as the North Pole. “The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” says Chulliat.

To fix the World Magnetic Model, he and his colleagues fed it three years of recent data, which included the 2016 geomagnetic pulse. The new version should remain accurate, he says, until the next regularly scheduled update in 2020.

Core questions

In the meantime, scientists are working to understand why the magnetic field is changing so dramatically. Geomagnetic pulses, like the one that happened in 2016, might be traced back to ‘hydromagnetic’ waves arising from deep in the core1. And the fast motion of the north magnetic pole could be linked to a high-speed jet of liquid iron beneath Canada2.

The jet seems to be smearing out and weakening the magnetic field beneath Canada, Phil Livermore, a geomagnetist at the University of Leeds, UK, said at the American Geophysical Union meeting. And that means that Canada is essentially losing a magnetic tug-of-war with Siberia.

“The location of the north magnetic pole appears to be governed by two large-scale patches of magnetic field, one beneath Canada and one beneath Siberia,” Livermore says. “The Siberian patch is winning the competition.”

Which means that the world’s geomagnetists will have a lot to keep them busy for the foreseeable future.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Winter storm buries Romanian forest:

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    Okay, I just watched this video, as well as reading the "transcript" of it. The pictures make an impact stronger than juts the printed word, don't they.

This type of message makes me realize more than ever that there will be more than just food that's in trouble from the changing weather patterns. Time to sit down and kind of scan my everyday life and really pin down the things I want to continue to be able to use when they are no longer available. Sort of a mental "day in the life of..." and paying attention to each thing I do and what I'm taking for granted right now.
    Yes, videos always help me. The two points I came away with were that he and his father had never seen these type of conditions, and they've got 2,500 acres that they should have worked/been working for planting, and they have not been able to. That's a lot of acreage. I'm not sure what they'd normally plant on those acres, but close to us it's row crops and usually a rotation of corn, milo/sorghum, soybeans, and cotton. Guessing livestock feed crops along with the cotton.

We're all still too wet in our area. We have pasture we never got winter ryegrass down for winter grazing; we had to give up, it was too wet even for a small riding mower to tow a broadcast seeder. We're lucky we got any down. Pastures are still draining, we haven't had enough sun and dry spells to allow it to dry. Not normal!

Your mental 'day in the life of' exercises are what I call my 'what if' thoughts. I read this type of article and it gets me moving on more blankets/comforters/duvet covers, getting those thermal curtains up we just bought, and work arounds for deep cold weather issues going forward. It's almost a constant process now. I'm focusing on our own food growing now, both outdoors and especially indoors. Indoor growing will be a learning curve for me, but the Adapt 2030 podcasts really nudge me in that direction.

I still need to go to the LDS Home Storage Center this month, (https://providentliving.lds.org/food...s-map?lang=eng). They had price increases on grain products for 2019, which is about what I expected due to recent crop losses. We're lucky we have two centers within a 2 hr drive of us. I priced their products with the equivalent at Emergency Essentials and Honeyville Grain, and saved a huge amount of money on food storage for Christmas gifts for the kids.

So much to do!!