Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

The Grand Solar Minimum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31
Results 1,201 to 1,209 of 1209
    I've got to say, our drastic weather change- from 80's to 40's for high temps, although we still haven't had a frost- is extreme enough that even our Amish neighbors are complaining.. and they generally take weather as it comes!

I was hoping for a few weeks of 60's and 70's... I want to train my miniature horse to drive, so she can pull a sled I had made last winter. But between the humidity, the near- constant rain and the downright chilly wind, my bones don't like it out at all. Sigh... need to toughen up, somehow.

In the meantime, it's a great day to work inside.., started a batch of strawberry wine (needed to get the strawberries I picked and froze out of the freezer to make some room) and there's a big kettle of chicken broth on the stove that I need to finish seasoning and can up. I ran out of my homemade seasoned salt (a "clone" of Lawry's Seasoned Salt), so I guess I need to make some of that next.

Summerthyme

Seeker, if you ever do get the real greenhouse plastic, don't buy the expensive tape sold to mend it. I did and then found that the wide clear Gorilla tape in the Orange plastic dispenser is lasting far, far longer. Gorilla tape is also expensive, but nothing like that specialty stuff which was I think $20 for 30 ft.

Here in the wet side of the PNW we are having a glorious fall. It's STILL dry and warm and beautiful and in the 70's. Farmers plan on it raining October 1st. I think we've had about 1/2 inch of rain since the beginning of the month so agriculture in our area is suffering. Our area is in an extreme drought.

I can hear you in the SouthWest snickering! Yeah, we get more winter rain in two months than you do all year, except this year, we haven't gotten nearly enough. We've cut over 50 dead Douglas firs and have at least that many more dead to go. Many of the rest are hanging in there but barely. (Unfortunately, poison oak was not at all affected by the dry weather. After pulling 60 ft vines I got systemic poison oak. Yeah, me. I just toughed it out. Did I ever mention how much I hate the stuff. Yeah, I thought so. )

So, while you in the East are flooding, we in the West are in severe drought. I wonder what the winter will bring. I have no faith in the weather guessers.

Getting down to about freezing at night, up to the low 50's during the day and then back down again; it is possible it will start getting to sub-freezing later in the week but that is hard to predict here.

It is a bit early for this sort of weather but not unknown either, some years by Halloween you don't really want to be outside much and other years it is almost balmy (for Ireland in the 50's).

Everyone is expecting a super-cold and snowy years this year, which would fit with the East blowing wind patterns that made this one of the hottest years in modern times during the Summer; if they shift back to a mostly Atlantic pattern they we should get the usual wind, rain and "chilly" weather in the 40's and 50s; but if they continue to have a lot of Eastern Winds then it is likely to be like last Winter and go down far enough to snow and hard frosts at night when it is clear.

Interesting times...at least we have managed to keep the stoves working and I've already paid for a delivery of turf that should be here later in the week or early next week.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Our creek has been flooded for days. Weeks. My garden is a soggy mess and I can't get back across the little creek (way out of its banks) to my house, so am bunking in the little Cabin on the hill. Dogs are safe and we have what we need, but this rain and flooding is the worst I have seen in almost six years out here. The Global Solar Minimum is wet. Yep, I surely got that.
    This is from four days ago and my county is on that list below the video:

Texas Governor Greg Abbott issues disaster declaration ahead of tropical disturbance

https://abc13.com/flash-flood-watch-...rday-/4243760/

Llano, TX had a bridge washed out, Marble Falls, TX is not doing good. either. Much more. Going to post some of this on Main.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker22 View Post
    Our creek has been flooded for days. Weeks. My garden is a soggy mess and I can't get back across the little creek (way out of its banks) to my house, so am bunking in the little Cabin on the hill. Dogs are safe and we have what we need, but this rain and flooding is the worst I have seen in almost six years out here. The Global Solar Minimum is wet. Yep, I surely got that.
    This is from four days ago and my county is on that list below the video:

Texas Governor Greg Abbott issues disaster declaration ahead of tropical disturbance

https://abc13.com/flash-flood-watch-...rday-/4243760/

Llano, TX had a bridge washed out, Marble Falls, TX is not doing good. either. Much more. Going to post some of this on Main.
    We're right with you there....we're in the Northern Brazos Valley, and thankfully on high ground. Still, pastures are soaked and draining, ponds overflowing, mud everywhere, cattle don't have any winter coat yet, and I'm keeping chickens in their house/runs rather than let them free range. And, it's really, really chilly with a good breeze, still. I really hate to complain since this summer we were in severe drought, pastures went dormant and when the rain finally started back up we got invaded by army worms...we're still recovering from that. We're building up hay storage now, expecting that to be an issue in mid winter at the rate we're going.

Honestly, we've never been this cold and wet this early in the season since we've been here. Not looking forward to another winter like that...

TxGal, someone has been buying every bit of land he can around here and practically denuding it. Old, old places burn down or cave in and he dozes everything into a pile and burns it completely and then digs a huge pile and buries the rubble deep. It is well packed and greens up fast. He's even cleaning all the overgrown fence rows and then installig new five-strand and steel posts. He's dug more ponds, too.

We are wondering if he is going to run as much cattle as he can and then use all that extra land for haying for fewer head once climate changes enough that there will be only one or two cuttings a year. I found out that this person is out-of-state somewhere and the guy doing all this around us is just his manager. Sure is an efficient manager!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    TxGal, someone has been buying every bit of land he can around here and practically denuding it. Old, old places burn down or cave in and he dozes everything into a pile and burns it completely and then digs a huge pile and buries the rubble deep. It is well packed and greens up fast. He's even cleaning all the overgrown fence rows and then installig new five-strand and steel posts. He's dug more ponds, too.

We are wondering if he is going to run as much cattle as he can and then use all that extra land for haying for fewer head once climate changes enough that there will be only one or two cuttings a year. I found out that this person is out-of-state somewhere and the guy doing all this around us is just his manager. Sure is an efficient manager!
    Very interesting! I'd agree with you, he's going to run cattle, either his own or lease it to someone...that would account for the fencing and the ponds being dug. I don't think many down here got more than 2 cuttings, half of what they'd normally do, and even then the yield for just those 2 cutting was half of normal. This is shaping up to be very, very ugly. He probably needs to put in some wind breaks on the north side, if there aren't any natural ones. Cold, wet, windy conditions are the absolute worst for livestock.

I'm sorry to see von Koehler leaving the thread, and hope he comes back. I learned so much from him, even though I'm down to fractional time reading due to outdoor chores...we're just so behind because of the weather. I'm still leaning to a really deep GSM...but sometimes I teeter into the mini ice age camp...not necessarily complete with glaciers in the states, but something quite severe. Even raising cattle is going to be a challenge, especially up north.

TxGal, there are no windbreaks, but there are places like mine spotted all around where we let lots of trees and undergrowth keep hold. Hopefully that will help. Lots of wooded hills and "bumbs", too, since I am north of I-40 and just out of the Arkansas River Valley. I just hope he doesn't buy and scalp any more land along my road.

My biggest concern is that across the road from me is his largest bare area. I face west and in summer the wind generally comes from the SW and in winter from the NW. This means lots of the trees in my front overgrown area are wide open to that wind now could come down in a storm. Luckily this would be away from the power lines. The worst will be when we get those hot dry spells and he will have created a desert that will blow dirt right at me and I will have to stay indoors because I have bad lungs. In spite of the fire danger, I intend to keep all my surrounding growth just as it is, as a small windbreak just for my own little place.

Three cuttings of hay were normal here for most of the years I've been here, with an occasional year giving a fourth cutting. With out chilly spring I'm not sure there was even a third cutting this year.