Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Hawaii emergency incoming missle - FALSE ALARM
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Here's what really bothers me: The alarm may not have been "false" but perhaps only premature. Did somebody have good reason to believe such an attack was imminent, and made the call by misreading a cue?

In other words, WTH don't we know?
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

for 180 seconds this was the new reality........ not a good place

what is it with Hawaii and sneak attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Hopefully there won't be anymore "mistakes" otherwise the public will start ignoring them.
    My first thought. Crying wolf is NEVER a good thing... whoever did this better get fired.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by tiredude View Post

No, 2,100 seconds. It was 35 minutes before it was confirmed to be a false alarm.
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

There is at least one movie out there with a basic plot of checking out the family’s bomb shelter when a false alarm comes. They lock down and spend a long time not knowing any better.
    I was checking out the Bomb Shelter when I read that one post...
    Glad I don’t live in Hawaii.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Yea, it was pretty noisy here at our house. But the TV warning was pretty specific. It said the ballistic missile was inbound to Hawaii and they didn't know if it would land on land or in water. It said the Civil Defense System had detected a middle. There is a tsunami siren tower very near my house. Did not hear the new nuke siren go off.
    Last edited by Issy; 01-13-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Got a call here from Hawaii where my son in laws Boss was vacationing. They shi** their pants. I hope it didn't ruin the vacation. Will never forget this one, that's for sure.
    Guns, Grub, and God!

CNN Newsroom
    ‏Verified account @CNNnewsroom
    7m7 minutes ago

"We're still getting to the bottom of the details," says Hawaii Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard after a false alert is sent to Hawaiians informing them of an incoming ballistic missile strike http://cnn.it/2msSHly

https://twitter.com/CNNnewsroom

CNN Newsroom Retweeted
    CNN
    ‏Verified account @CNN
    10m10 minutes ago

CNN producer @lorenzaCNN describes receiving the false alarm in Hawaii: “We got alerts on our phone… we opened our sliding glass door to look out onto the beach, we saw probably 10 different families running, not walking, running back to their room.” http://cnn.it/2r4CF6W
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Duh.

Midwest Weather & Breaking News
    ‏ @CountyGibson
    5m5 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Missile attack warning that was sent to residents in Hawaii was the result of "human error," U.S. Senator Brian Schatz says

Quote Originally Posted by Border Guns View Post
    Got a call here from Hawaii where my son in laws Boss was vacationing. They shi** their pants. I hope it didn't ruin the vacation. Will never forget this one, that's for sure.
    DH told me the other night some friends of ours that live in Cali and their two adult sons were going to Hawaii for vacation.

I thought they were supposed to leave yesterday, but it could have been today.

I will have to ask him. It would definitely be a vacation to remember if they were already there.

ETA: DH said they were there, and friend got the alert on his phone
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 01-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

Quote Originally Posted by Issy View Post
    Yea, it was pretty noisy here at our house. But the TV warning was pretty specific. It said the ballistic missile was inbound to Hawaii and they didn't know if it would land on land or in water. It said the Civil Defense System had detected a middle. There is a tsunami siren tower very near my house. Did not hear the new nuke siren go off.
    That is specific. Something fishy is going on.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

There was supposed to be a test in December, did it work then? Definitely report that.

Daughter woke up to the warning this morning. She said she was scrambling to seal up the house and run water. They also have two airbnb rooms with guests to deal with. Her house is near the Marine Base so probably oneof the target areas.

She said the sirens did not go off in Kaneohe. They got their airbnb guests into the house with them and just waited for something on tv. She said there was nothing on the tv. Now she's going out for a paddle! I told her to watch the sky!
    Last edited by Maryh; 01-13-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Talked with daughter in Hi
    God is pro-life!

Quote Originally Posted by tiredude View Post

Location, location, location

Quote Originally Posted by marymonde View Post
    That is specific. Something fishy is going on.

Here's the TV thing from Walk N Trot's Zero Hedge post. I thought it was a joke.
    Read the comments under it too:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status...221888/video/1

If I got an alert like this I would immediately check other sources.....and know that it was a false alarm.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

back in the late 1960s there was a Conelrad blooper - the FEDs found some of the stations hadn't been checking their in-boxes .... the stations that were supposed to sign off kept on broadcasting and the primaries didn't go to emergency procedures - there was butt kicking over that ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    Here's what really bothers me: The alarm may not have been "false" but perhaps only premature. Did somebody have good reason to believe such an attack was imminent, and made the call by misreading a cue?

In other words, WTH don't we know?
    https://www.space.com/38573-china-sp...ntry-2018.html
    It may have been a piece tiangong-1 burning in they picked up.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Now it says the TV thing has been removed due to copyright infringement.

WTF.

Video on twitter of a dad who opened up a storm drain and putting his kids in it to get underground.

Don’t have a link. Can’t figure out how to get it.

We did check all other sources. Repeatedly. For half an hour. They all said it was not a drill.

We live on Maui. We have had calls from friends from all parts of the island ( except the resort towns) saying their nuke sirens did not go off either. Wondering if they went off in the resort towns. They sounded off fine during monthly tests. This is a problem. They went off on Oahu.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Duh.

Midwest Weather & Breaking News
    ‏ @CountyGibson
    5m5 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Missile attack warning that was sent to residents in Hawaii was the result of "human error," U.S. Senator Brian Schatz says

Human error, so most probably not a hack.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    Good training.
    the boy who cried wolf

comes to mind

not good

My money is on the space station due to burn in any time or at least a part of it.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Quote Originally Posted by JF&P View Post
    If I got an alert like this I would immediately check other sources.....and know that it was a false alarm.
    I think a lot of people were probably torn between taking the time to check out online sources and trying to seek shelter to gather supplies, loved ones, etc. It's one thing to say "I'm as prepped as I can be" while sitting at home, awake and alert. It's another to be at the grocery store or at your kid's soccer game, or rolling over in bed on a Saturday morning and get an alert that a missile is inbound. In the case of the folks under fire they actually may not have the luxury of time to check other sources. A family member texted news of the alert shortly after it was announced and said there wasn't any coverage on news or internet yet. Shortly after that I saw a tweet from Sen. Gabbard saying it was a false alarm. But I understand a missile from NK could reach Hawaii in about 20 minutes. What would be the best way to spend that 20 minutes? Checking the internet to see if it's real or trying to gather family into a safe location?

Good grief...Honolulu news is talking about political ramifications. Error supposedly.

OK, now that we all know this was a false alarm, its time for a little reflection.

When all 4 cell phones went off just after 8 am this morning with an EXTREME ALERT which said:

BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL
    I read that message in disbelief and said "Oh crap!" to the Mrs. The thoughts that went through my mind those first few seconds about my life and my future. What should I do? Is there enough time?

In a previous thread I stated that Oahu is small and congested and there is not enough time to get to a shelter in time while a million other people try to do the same. I said that I would probably just reflect on my life and shelter in-place. If it is God's will that I survive or die then that's that. I can say now that for that brief moment after receiving the Alert, thinking that maybe this is really it, I was OK with this decision.

This event is a real eye opener for a lot of people here. All telephone lines were jammed. Cell phones were useless as everyone tried calling. I did tell my wife that the Civil Defense sirens were not blaring and I would expect that we should be hearing the wailing sounds of those horns. But then again, it wouldn't surprise me that the siren malfunctioned at such a critical time...

I needed confirmation. Turned on the radio - all normal (taped, canned, programmed radio) programing. No info forthcoming. Tried calling 911 - All circuits are busy. Tried calling the radio stations - same, all circuits are busy. Turned on the TV - a channel had normal programing, one had the emergency alert information. Which is it? Ok or not? Go to the .gov web sites - nothing. News sites - nothing.

Finally after 15/20 minutes we get confirmation of the false alarm. If this had been a real event, the missile would have probably already landed. There is going to be A LOT of reflection and blame going around after this...

Just wanted to share my feelings about what happened this morning. Thanks for reading...

We did check all other sources. Repeatedly. For half an hour. They all said it was not a drill.

We live on Maui. We have had calls from friends from all parts of the island ( except the resort towns) saying their nuke sirens did not go off either. Wondering if they went off in the resort towns. They sounded off fine during monthly tests. This is a problem. They went off on Oahu.
    May have gone off in some parts of Oahu, but folks in Kaneohe didn't hear them as of my initial info from them.

Wake up call for Hawaii!

Haven't we been seeing notices/alerts for Hawaii to prepare for a nuclear attack for months now?

FOX news is covering this like no one had a clue what to do.....like this wasn't even a possibility.

Wow - besides being a false alarm, sounds like it's not working for many people.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Yep, if my official alert went off along with sirens; I'd be looking for someplace like the sewer drain/shop basement if out and heading to our pantry if we were home; I'd act fast and then worry about it being a false alarm.

I still remember standing in the hallway of my downtown Denver office screaming at people who were just standing near the windows watching THREE tornados bounce down the road and having one say "oh don't worry, they would warn us if we were really in danger."

I went into the stairwell as did most everyone else; they did pass by harmlessly but there could have been a very different outcome; broken windows and folks sucked out at the very least.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

When the verbal warning came over the TV, it did not say we had 20 minutes. It said within minutes. Now. We took cover and checked sources from cover. But you all might want to think about that. The warning said now. If you got a warning that said now, take cover now, could you? Would you be tempted to just grab this or that on your way to safety? The warning on TV said the missle was detected incoming now.
    Last edited by Issy; 01-13-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Typo again

I wonder why.??? Not good. They all seemed to work during monthly tests.

I wonder why.??? Not good. They all seemed to work during monthly tests.
    I'm wondering if since the alert was a mistake, that the entire system wasn't activated and so sirens weren't sounded? Dunno.

Comment online:

partyup • 14 minutes ago
    My brother calls me from the Islands and says alert for missile launch. He read it to me and I was stunned....then the phone went blank....Imagine what I thought...No news had anything. Finally he called abck and lots of panic going on....That was a long 38 minutes.....If it was joke or mistake I'd like 38 minutes wid da guy who did it.

I’m wondering if anyone suffered a heart attack...

Can Senator Schatz be trusted to call "human error"? Once again I am smelling an odor and it is not soiled underwear. If it is an human error why did it take 30 minutes to clear? Should have been verified and caught within a few minutes. If it was a hack this means the alert system can also be hacked to not alert to incoming causing more casualties. If this was a real incoming it could have went off course and splashed down in some part of the Pacific. The time frame of the minutes to stand down fits a real incoming. This may not be information TPTB want out to the public. Act of war. If it was real it could have been shot down by the satellite that went missing last week and doesn't really function or whatever. Once again you and I would not know and we have an Act of war.

Making this call "human error" takes the pressure off the incident in the minds of the public. You can't yell fire in a theater much less yell incoming ICBM in Hawaii. If nobody is found guilty and punished publicly we had a real incoming that was dealt with in some manner.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

From the state that can create fake birth certificates out of thin air.
    But not likely to die free

Anyone buying this?

Dean Grose
    🇺🇸
    ‏ @deanlosal
    3m3 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Hawaii Governor David Ige tells CNN that someone "pushed the wrong button" during an employee shift change, sending out the false alert about an incoming ballistic missile

Now it says the TV thing has been removed due to copyright infringement.

WTF.

I doubt there was enough “original creative content” to justify a copyright claim.

Anyone buying this?

Dean Grose
    🇺🇸
    ‏ @deanlosal
    3m3 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Hawaii Governor David Ige tells CNN that someone "pushed the wrong button" during an employee shift change, sending out the false alert about an incoming ballistic missile
    Nope because the com center would have known immediately and issued a stand down to avoid panic.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson