Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

TECH Possessives in auto-correct? Satan yes. God no.
Closed Thread

Possessives in auto-correct? Satan yes. God no.

Try it. iPhone 8. Maybe others as well.

Type Satans, and the auto-correct will recognize the personal possessive by adding the apostrophe.

Now type Gods. No apostrophe.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    Try it. iPhone 8. Maybe others as well.

Type Satans, and the auto-correct will recognize the personal possessive by adding the apostrophe.

Now type Gods. No apostrophe.
    Well, on an old iPad ios9, it tries to correct Satans to satins. No apostrophe added. Doesn't do anything to Gods.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Why did you even post this? The reason there's no apostrophe in Gods is because God can be singular or plural. Hence autocorrect doesn’t know how to address it. (Satan can only be singular.) Further, Apple’s autocorrect is notoriously fickle anyway, and it acts in an arbitrary and capricious way. For example, I DID get an apostrophe in “Gods” when I was writing this. Also, if you Space one past the end of the word and the backspace, you will see additional autocorrect choices.

ETA: It also capitalized “space” above for no apparent reason, but not when I wrote this sentence.

Now, if you mean this thread as a rant-fest on autocorrect caprices, we can have some fun with that.

Now, if you mean this thread as a rant-fest on autocorrect caprices, we can have some fun with that.
    I look away from the OP that certain devices have built in progressive or anti-religious bias.

Of course that may be the device's individual satan - but like anything man-made, it probably has MANY SATANS (flaws.)

Sorry Dennis - you do mean well. And if you're referring to Satan (proper nown as God, or Maker is proper) you're correct.

There is one and only one at each end of the choice spectrum - and both can possess.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Dobbin is a wise horse!

His complaint, Dennis, is that there is only ONE God...

No Christian is ever going to write "gods" when referring to their own beliefs...

Summerthyme

So am I to assume that only Christians are supposed to use Apple devices?

I see that in only a couple of posts, this thread has gone off the rails.

I've sent some pretty funny texts thanks to autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    So am I to assume that only Christians are supposed to use Apple devices?
    Oh crap. Am I a heathen now cause I don't? Wait-I'm a Catholic so it probably doesn't matter what device I use.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

snicker....

Language warning, these should make your day.

http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

I am not trying to stir up a thing. Approaching this from a grammar/ English usage perspective, the auto-correct should insert an apostrophe. The letters "Gods" can be plural (for many Gods), but that quantity of usages will be dwarfed by the instances of the same four letters as a personal possessive noun (God's...).

Therefore, I ask the question.

It seems to me that the programmers inserted their own atheistic preference into the program. I could be wrong, but that's what I see, unless someone can explain it otherwise.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Feel free to go over to http://support.apple.com and take it up with them. I’m sure they’ll want to hear all about your perceived religious injustice on the part of autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    I am not trying to stir up a thing. Approaching this from a grammar/ English usage perspective, the auto-correct should insert an apostrophe. The letters "Gods" can be plural (for many Gods), but that quantity of usages will be dwarfed by the instances of the same four letters as a personal possessive noun (God's...).

Therefore, I ask the question.

It seems to me that the programmers inserted their own atheistic preference into the program. I could be wrong, but that's what I see, unless someone can explain it otherwise.
    You're right, "gods" (plural) or "god's" possessive are correct. God is a proper name referring to a singular and known Entity, and should always be capitalized.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

No Flip, it would actually be gods or gods’ in your example. God’s would always be capitalized, like Fred’s.

The scientifically provable number of usages favors the apostrophe.
    So, why no apostrophe?

The programmers of auto-correct are apparently trying to say something...

Perhaps you didn’t read my original post on this thread. Particularly subsequent to the word “further”. If you need to bitch, bitch to Apple.

Perhaps you didn’t read my original post on this thread. Particularly subsequent to the word “further”. If you need to bitch, bitch to Apple.
    I read every post. You asked for my intent, and I gave it.
    The prefix is TECH not REL, although it has religious implications.
    To put it differently, why would programmers choose such a preference?

Again, ASK APPLE. NO ONE HERE WOULD KNOW.

Good lord, man....

Again, ASK APPLE. NO ONE HERE WOULD KNOW.

Good lord, man....
    Perhaps the correct prefix should've been CHAT?

Your clearly not happy, and this is your house.

I find the situation interesting and figured others might try it on their phones. Weekends are generally slow news days, so I figured I'd post it.

You don’t even understand what you’re asking. That’s what bugs me. I’m certain that a dedicated team worked on autocorrect, and for many years. Additionally, there is no doubt that their algorithm is secret and proprietary. And I guarantee that they still work on it today. You asking “why would it do this” is FAR OUTSIDE OUR EXPERTISE. You must go to the source with your inquiry. No one here can help you.

Get it now?

The fundamental truth is that you just want to complain about it.

You don’t even understand what you’re asking. That’s what bugs me. I’m certain that a dedicated team worked on autocorrect, and for many years. Additionally, there is no doubt that their algorithm is secret and proprietary. And I guarantee that they still work on it today. You asking “why would it do this” is FAR OUTSIDE OUR EXPERTISE. You must go to the source with your inquiry. No one here can help you.

Get it now?

The fundamental truth is that you just want to complain about it.
    You apparently have Gods ability to see my soul.
    Lack of apostrophe intended.

After running this place for nearly 20 years, I can pretty much figure out anyone’s true motivation, even if they don’t know it themselves.

I see that in only a couple of posts, this thread has gone off the rails.
    The entire thread seems like it is going to Hell because of poorly understood and most likely non spiritual semantics in an accessory computer program.

If you are in a group actually discussing Auto-Correct it seems likely there are other, more interesting subjects being overlooked.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

I'm sure when you read the auto-cucumber suggestions prompted by typing "god", there is a subliminal message flashing that prompts you to join the Hairy Christmas cult.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

When someone types capital G and then ods, auto-correct should be programmed to add an apostrophe. It's a frequent and common usage in the English language. For some reason, it isn't. I welcome any info from anyone who may know something about it.

In the process, I've managed to annoy some by asking. That's ok. My personal practice is only to comment on threads that interest me. If this thread doesn't interest you, one can condescendingly smirk and le it fall into oblivion.

Are you a software engineer? Coulda, woulda, shoulda, that’s what I’m hearing from you.

If I type "gods", the autocorrect suggestion is "God's". Android phone.

Must be an apple thing.

I've said for a long time that Excell and Apple were tools of the devil.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

When someone types capital G and then ods, auto-correct should be programmed to add an apostrophe. It's a frequent and common usage in the English language

So you DID post this thread just to bitch about it.

When someone types capital G and then ods, auto-correct should be programmed to add an apostrophe. It's a frequent and common usage in the English language

So you DID post this thread just to bitch about it.

I'm pointing it out.
    You say bitching.
    I say it's a question.

Ask you f’ing question of f’ing Apple.

Thread closed.