Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER Auto Insurance. You Can't Make This Up
+ Reply to Thread

Auto Insurance. You Can't Make This Up

Last November 14th I got rear ended in traffic. The other guy's insurance pays for it, of course. The debacle starts when Geico has no valid policy for this guy. Turns out, he has Geico Commercial, and the only thing in common they have is the name Geico. Nowhere did his insurance card say "commercial". Takes them about 3 days to find it. After getting to the right parties, they set up an damage appraisal at my work. The day for the appraisal comes and goes, Thanksgiving passes, and finally I call them back. "Ooops ... I must have lost your appointment". After they finally look over the vehicle, it takes them another week to come back with a value. Send me the check, I tell them.

I finally schedule repair at a body shop for December 18th. Called the shop ahead of time to give them the heads up to collect the parts before I show up. Drop my vehicle off on the 18th, and Geico drops off a rental car for me. On the 19th, the body shop discovers hidden damage and submits a supplement claim. Christmas comes and goes and we hear nothing. January 1st comes and goes, and still nothing.

Early last week I call the body shop, and he said he confirmed they received the supplement on the 19th, and "they have to pass it through their process". Another week goes by, the body shop still hears nothing.

Fast fwd to today, and they FINALLY call with the supplement approval, but get this: They stress that the 30 vehicle rental is going to expire on the 17th, so "they [body shop] need to hurry up and get this done!". I'm sorry, but that takes a lot of chutzpah to make a demand like that after they've drug their damned feet for over a MONTH with this and dropped the ball how many times? I was speechless when I heard that. Like I said, you can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulSkeptic View Post
    Last November 14th I got rear ended in traffic. The other guy's insurance pays for it, of course. The debacle starts when Geico has no valid policy for this guy. Turns out, he has Geico Commercial, and the only thing in common they have is the name Geico. Nowhere did his insurance card say "commercial". Takes them about 3 days to find it. After getting to the right parties, they set up an damage appraisal at my work. The day for the appraisal comes and goes, Thanksgiving passes, and finally I call them back. "Ooops ... I must have lost your appointment". After they finally look over the vehicle, it takes them another week to come back with a value. Send me the check, I tell them.

I finally schedule repair at a body shop for December 18th. Called the shop ahead of time to give them the heads up to collect the parts before I show up. Drop my vehicle off on the 18th, and Geico drops off a rental car for me. On the 19th, the body shop discovers hidden damage and submits a supplement claim. Christmas comes and goes and we hear nothing. January 1st comes and goes, and still nothing.

Early last week I call the body shop, and he said he confirmed they received the supplement on the 19th, and "they have to pass it through their process". Another week goes by, the body shop still hears nothing.

Fast fwd to today, and they FINALLY call with the supplement approval, but get this: They stress that the 30 vehicle rental is going to expire on the 17th, so "they [body shop] need to hurry up and get this done!". I'm sorry, but that takes a lot of chutzpah to make a demand like that after they've drug their damned feet for over a MONTH with this and dropped the ball how many times? I was speechless when I heard that. Like I said, you can't make this stuff up.
    Might want to have a chat with your state insurance dept.

Welcome to the world of insurance. If the car isn't done by the 17th and they are wanting to end the rental you will need to go "up the ladder" and get ahold of a supervisor and keep going up until you get one that will take care of it.

When I worked for an insurance company I had a claimant go on the internet and find out who the top person was and went direct to them. By the time I got the assignment the word had already came down that I needed to "take care of this now"! When I inspected the car i complemented him on "getting to the right person" since I had never seen such a "flurry" of emails. He laughed and said that is how he does everything and always gets the results he wants ...

why don't you have a lawyer? as much as I HATE the bastards they are one notch ABOVE the F^CKING Insurance companies
    ďSo then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.Ē REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Geico f*cked up something for me a long time ago. I would never use them again.

*spits*
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

A long time ago, early 70s, GEICO dropped my father without warning and with a form stating reason: because he had had no accidents or tickets and was probably overdue for a pay out

Because he was dropped he had to pay exhorbitant insurance rates for mandatory policy
    They fled Pennsylvania for Alabama and lived happily ever after

Because I still remember the financial burden placed then on the family budget because of GEICO ill never buy into Geico and still tell that story when asked about car insurance referrals

I also don't like USAA or Duke Energy phone only service
    A town with >300k should be able to provide an office

I'm an Auto-Owners guy myself. My folks had them for years without incident. Even offer a paid-in-full discount that knocks about 10 percent off the bill. Prices are reasonable and that's WITH a homeowners bundle.

I hate the concept of mandatory insurance, but they're a good one to have since you have to have it.

Auto Insurance. You Can't Make This Up
    Huh-Whut?

Make it up?

I thought that was just how they normally operated.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Geico is cheap insurance and this is the reason why. My homeowners renewal is coming up soon and I'll discuss with them to put our vesicles on with them instead of Geico. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sorry, but that takes a lot of chutzpah to make a demand like that after they've drug their damned feet for over a MONTH with this and dropped the ball how many times? I was speechless when I heard that. Like I said, you can't make this stuff up.
    It is what it is. A co-worker backed into my car causing minor damage (busted headlight and some light cosmetic work). His insurance was easy enough to work with in terms of fault. I picked a body work store that my insurance company uses and they liked that because they used them also (one of the preferred providers). Their rental car company was also in the building with the body shop so that worked out great. However, when she was discussing the rental it was like that was the worst thing they had to do and her tone just changed about how the car is my liability and they don't pay for ANY insurance. I mean she got louder and very blunt about the insurance thing. I personally think this is crap. Their insured is causing me to have to need this vehicle that I don't own, have no real value in, yet if I get hit by an uninsured idiot, I have to hit up my insurance to repair a vehicle I have no value in? That always pisses me off, so I just usually go ahead and spend the $100ish dollars for their loss waiver. That way I don't at least have to fix their vehicle if I get hit by a hit and run driver.

Back in "09 we were re-ended at a traffic light, totally the other guy's fault, and there was no contesting it. Wife ended up with whiplash requiring treatment for over a year before it dissipated. Any way, we had a Honda Odyssey mini-van, which was slated to go to summer camp with our Scouts, nearly 600 miles away. The other company did a rental for us, but there were some delays getting the damage fixed - not major, just couldn't close/latch the hatch, minor stuff mostly but didn't seem to be a high priority for the shop. When I told the Adjuster from the other company that either the van was 100% ready by such-and-such date or the rental van was going to be gone 10 days to up past Yosemite no ifs, ands, or buts - no van means 6 Scouts no have transportation - calls were made. It was fixed with time to spare. He could see the headlines: Scouts Cancel Summer Camp Over Lagging Car Repairs True story.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here: https://corom.org/survival-austere-medicine/

Reddit AustereMedicine/

If you have full coverage your insurance covers you for every vehicle you drive. So you should never have to pay rental insurance. That's what my insurance company told me. It's more a scam to get more money from you or for people who don't have full coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
    It is what it is. A co-worker backed into my car causing minor damage (busted headlight and some light cosmetic work). His insurance was easy enough to work with in terms of fault. I picked a body work store that my insurance company uses and they liked that because they used them also (one of the preferred providers). Their rental car company was also in the building with the body shop so that worked out great. However, when she was discussing the rental it was like that was the worst thing they had to do and her tone just changed about how the car is my liability and they don't pay for ANY insurance. I mean she got louder and very blunt about the insurance thing. I personally think this is crap. Their insured is causing me to have to need this vehicle that I don't own, have no real value in, yet if I get hit by an uninsured idiot, I have to hit up my insurance to repair a vehicle I have no value in? That always pisses me off, so I just usually go ahead and spend the $100ish dollars for their loss waiver. That way I don't at least have to fix their vehicle if I get hit by a hit and run driver.

Be happy the other guy had insurance.
    You don't know hassles (plus the hit to your own bank account) when the perp is uninsured.
    BTDT.

Last summer shortly after I was told that Hermione might have DM, I backed the Murano into a chain fence. The kind with upright posts about 3’ high, with chain suspended between them. Scratched the hell out of my back hatch. So I got an estimate (about $2000) and contacted my insurance company. They paid for the repair quickly. The car was ready in 3 days. Fast-forward to insurance renewal time. The company DOUBLED my rate, and will for FIVE YEARS. From $1200 a year to $2400. It’s a total scam.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenwings View Post
    If you have full coverage your insurance covers you for every vehicle you drive. So you should never have to pay rental insurance. That's what my insurance company told me. It's more a scam to get more money from you or for people who don't have full coverage.
    I have good insurance, the point is that I purchase insurance to protect myself from liability if a crash is my fault and to protect the value of my property (ie: My vehicle's value) if I'm hit with someone who has no insurance or substandard insurance or if I'm the one at fault (I carry full coverage).

The problem with using your insurance for a rental vehicles:

#1: You now have a claim against your insurance for something that wasn't your fault, but they still had to cover you (ie: Hit and run or uninsured motorist). Depending on the company, this may or may not be an issue. You've now used that claim to repair a vehicle that you don't even have any value of.

#2: If one is involved in a crash and they're at fault, insurance is going to have to pay out to fix not only the other person's vehicle, but also be hit to repair property that doesn't even provide any value.

fun -fun - fun .... anytime you get involved with an insurance company .... run into an obstacle - file a report with the state agency that regulates them - usually there's a complaint form online - the insurance company gets an immediate copy - you'll get a call from them toot sweet ....

my fav over the years was with good ole State Farm - got hit by my parent's neighbors - we both had State Farm - waited for a reply - called my agent again - called their agent - called the State Farm hotline >>>>>> they wouldn't take action because the other State Farm policy holder wouldn't file a report or claim - ?????????

you always use the insurance coverage provided by using your major credit card - never ever depend on your own insurance - there's ALL kinds of restrictions you might not know about ....

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I'm an Auto-Owners guy myself. My folks had them for years without incident. Even offer a paid-in-full discount that knocks about 10 percent off the bill. Prices are reasonable and that's WITH a homeowners bundle.

I hate the concept of mandatory insurance, but they're a good one to have since you have to have it.
    We have Auto-Owners as well. Have been with them for about 8 years now. No complaints.

Reading people's replies along with my experience got me to thinking why this sort of crap happens with insurance companies, and I think I have the answer: It's just like government. Allow me to let Milton Friedman explain:

ďThere are four ways in which you can spend money. You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what youíre doing, and you try to get the most for your money. Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then Iím not so careful about the content of the present, but Iím very careful about the cost. Then, I can spend somebody elseís money on myself. And if I spend somebody elseís money on myself, then Iím sure going to have a good lunch! Finally, I can spend somebody elseís money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody elseís money on somebody else, Iím not concerned about how much it is, and Iím not concerned about what I get. And thatís government. And thatís close to 40% of our national income.Ē

Milton Friedman, in a Fox News interview in May 2004

So you see, insurance companies fall into the 4th category. In addressing claims, their spending other people's money on other people. There's no incentive for them to give a shit.

I recently had an accident and since my car is older I donít have full coverage. I have Geico but itís one of those things that looks like I was at fault so no matter what I guess I am. I was turning left away from gas tank after filling my car and a lady comes speeding into the gas station parking lot. I stopped before hitting her but she just kept turning right and going. She actually hit me on rfight drivers side in front and never stopped until she parked her car. She therefore got her whole side messed up from front wheel to back wheel and even sprung the door. We didnít call police since it was on private property and they donít like to come out for that.Well Geico says Iím at fault. They fixed her car up and Iím driving my car as is. It makes me sick cause I canít afford to fix it right now. Probably every insurance would say that but maybe I should check into other insurances after reading this! Oh yes, my insurance didnít raise.
    Last edited by Craftypatches; 01-13-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add something

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    why don't you have a lawyer? as much as I HATE the bastards they are one notch ABOVE the F^CKING Insurance companies
    Saw a bumper sticker the other day that read, "One Call, That's All". It gave fair warning to drivers behind them. Made me smile.

I am in my mid 60's and drive very carefully because my 20+ year old vehicle is all I can afford, until FRA for SS in a year. I cross my fingers that I don't get hit, but if I do I will contact a lawyer as soon as I am able afterwards.
    Methodist CH, 1969

Yes. When I rented a car a few months ago on my house-hunting trip, the rental agent tried to talk me in to some VERY expensive supplementary insurance (almost as costly as the week's rental of the vehicle). I called my insurance company and they verified that they cover any vehicle I drive -- I had never rented a car before, which is why I didn't know that. Saved me over three hundred dollars.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Full coverage will cover a rental car, but what you have to watch out for is "loss of use". If you get in an accident with a rental car, your insurance will cover it, but the rental company will then charge for loss of use while their vehicle is being repaired, which would be the money they could otherwise make renting said vehicle out. Your insurance may not cover that portion for a rental vehicle.

geico is septic sucking pond scum. They are one of the worst for money grubbing. I was in a very slight mishap about 10 years ago, in my dad's truck they had geico insurance. I was approaching a street from the parking lot, and there was compact snow/ice. I was at a literal crawl, 1mph perhaps because there were cars pulling up to the light to my right and I wasn't going to enter the road until they were all gone. Well the front tires went over the edge of the little bevel that they put from road to parking lot and the truck ever-so-slowly slid down it and the bumper brushed the corner of a car that had just zoomed in front of me thinking I was going to get ahead of him. It put 3 super minor scratches in his bumper that perhaps could have been buffed out, not sure, but the owner and I exchanged insurance card info. I didn't blame the guy, if it was my car I'd want it fixed too, so no problem.

The trouble began when geico wasn't acting fast enough, the car's owner began to call and harass me and my parents. Then one day her husband called and was threatening a lawsuit, and was super nasty and mean. I tried to explain that geico was supposed to be handling it to no avail. Then geico starts up with 'you weren't on the insurance policy, you have to pay for it' crap. They began to harass me and my folks as well, so I got on the phone and called my agent (Allstate) and they were PISSED. They said there was all kinds of illegal going on, and told me who to call. geico was still dragging their feet, and then demanded I go on the folks insurance policy even though I only drove my dad's truck twice a year and had my own insurance. They called a dozen times a day, shrieking threats, and all sorts of crap.

Told my insurance agent about that, and they gave me the geico headquarters number with one of the brass to talk to, my agent said they were making out a report and turning geico in and explaining everything that was going on. Chit got done then. Oh, ironically, my folks coverage covered the damage 100% and did not affect the insurance rates at all, but they were so pissed off at what went on they immediately got rid of geico and went elsewhere.

I happened to go online to research geico and their shady practices and hit the jackpot, that is one useless group. There were others who were in their 50's and 60's who geico tried to force on their parent's policies due to very minor scrapes, it seems to be one of their favorite scams.

I haven't drove my own car for 10 years, but when I was driving my own car I would check insurance rates every 6 months, because after 6 months to a year, they will start to raise rates on you. I had a different insurance company rep every year for a long time. Always check rates elsewhere and make sure they don't overcharge you, I was being charged rates for someone who owned a $250,000 - $500,000 home for at least two decades (the insurance companies just copied info from the previous one). I've never owned a home in my life. Allstate caught that and fixed it.

Ironically, in 2003 I had to pay more on my 10 year old car for comprehensive and UI than for full coverage for my 1985 Toyota 4x4 when it was brand new.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Geico is cheap insurance and this is the reason why. My homeowners renewal is coming up soon and I'll discuss with them to put our vesicles on with them instead of Geico. Thanks for the heads up.
    For each cell?

Nyuck nyuck nyuck......Sorry - Biology fan here!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Welcome to the world of insurance. If the car isn't done by the 17th and they are wanting to end the rental you will need to go "up the ladder" and get ahold of a supervisor and keep going up until you get one that will take care of it.

When I worked for an insurance company I had a claimant go on the internet and find out who the top person was and went direct to them. By the time I got the assignment the word had already came down that I needed to "take care of this now"! When I inspected the car i complemented him on "getting to the right person" since I had never seen such a "flurry" of emails. He laughed and said that is how he does everything and always gets the results he wants ...
    I have always done this as step 2 or 3. On more than one occassion I have been told by initial contact that whatever I wanted addressed was outside of their control/script at which point I ask to speak to supervisor. If they can't/won't address the issue I ask who can and more than once the mistake is made of telling me that they are as high up as I can go and to deal with it. Then the fun starts, first I try phoning company headquarters and ask to speak to someone on executive team by name (internet is my friend). I also send certified mail to all members of executive team, explaining issue, what I would like done to resolve and my intended course of action if not satisfied (bad pr in places of business, small claims court, etc). Every time I have gone this route I have gotten apologetic phone call from executive or staff and an even more distressed call from local management apologizing for mistake and get everything I wanted plus some on occassion.

The secret is to be polite logical and have a plan of action to let them know you are serious and not psyco nut. Also make sure said plan cost them more in time/money than making the matter right.

Depending on what state you live in, most states' rental agreements are good for only 30 days. The contract needs to be rewritten. And as you are the claimant; you stay in that rental car until your car is delivered fully repaired and meets YOUR expectations. If there is a flaw in the paint, have the body shop redo the panel. As the claimant you are entitled to having it fixed to your satisfaction.
    You might also want to hit Geico for dimunition of value. Your car, damaged and repaired is not worth the same amount of money the same car in an undamaged, unrepaired condition is. This is called dimunition of value and the insurance company is on the hook to pay you the difference. Particularly if the vehicle is frame damaged (any repair to a structural component).
    And watch Geico like a hawk-they are snakes and shysters.

Insurance provided by a credit card for a rental car is ALWAYS secondary to your primary auto insurance.Read the fine print.
    And being in the rental business for a number of years-collecting for a claim made on credit card provided rental car insurance is like pulling teeth. They won't take liability, blah blah blah. In my experience over the years the renter 90% of the time is on the hook for the damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you always use the insurance coverage provided by using your major credit card - never ever depend on your own insurance - there's ALL kinds of restrictions you might not know about ....

Years ago my mother was hit. Other driver's insurance would cover repairs, but when I asked about a rental car, they said his insurance didn't cover that. Short letter to state insurance commissioner with a copy to the other driver's insurance company. Two days later they called and said they had made a mistake. Yep, sure they did.