Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP "Dynamic Control Sensor"?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    OK. No crank. It's now making more sense to me. Thanks.
    I wish I had a bumper to bumper wire diagram to study.

First thing I'd do is a good visual inspection under the hood to look for something obvious, also checking out the battery condition and state, related cables and ground points. You know, the basics.

Then I'd do what Millright suggested and jumper the starter depending how the circuit is set up. This would bypass the ignition switch and attempt to test the motor itself. If that is successful, we know the battery, it's cabling, grounds and motor are pretty much OK.

Once you have to start tracing back to locate the problem from there it can get tough without a schematic to see if other things are tied in... due to things like factory security/immobilization systems. I've seen Jeeps not start due to bad door lock switch assemblies and that was the older stuff on the road, years ago. Had to cycle the tailgate lock assembly to get it to start to get into the shop to diagnose that system. It was a hair puller.

Hopefully some Jeep tech will chime in on the other boards and suggest some of the more common problems to investigate or point in a certain direction. But it's really a hands on type thing. It's got to get into a shop at some point unless it's something stupid.

I wish you success. We'd all love to know what the final outcome turns out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Geterdone View Post
    If all else fails; replace the flux capacitor

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

R/T: 1.0

Post #39. That's got to be the source of the problem

"..........Something else-Jeep has auto-adjusting seats, you tune the key and they reset back to last drivers settings unless you hit a button which puts it to that buttons settings.
    I've noted I get in, turn the key and the seats are not adjusting and a couple of times, when I pull the key out of the ignition the seat has started adjusting and the Ding, ding, ding you get if the key is left in when you open the door-it will start......."

This thing ever been in a flood and resold at some point?

Is it a tilt steering column? If it is, is it sloppy with excessive play at the pivot point?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    Post #39. That's got to be the source of the problem

"..........Something else-Jeep has auto-adjusting seats, you tune the key and they reset back to last drivers settings unless you hit a button which puts it to that buttons settings.
    I've noted I get in, turn the key and the seats are not adjusting and a couple of times, when I pull the key out of the ignition the seat has started adjusting and the Ding, ding, ding you get if the key is left in when you open the door-it will start......."
    A symptom perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    This thing ever been in a flood and resold at some point?
    Anything is possible but unlikely-we are the second owners and tho we got it thru a dealership it came with the previous owners paperwork on maintenance and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    Is it a tilt steering column? If it is, is it sloppy with excessive play at the pivot point?
    Honestly? Not sure-I imagine it tilts in some manner but neither me nor FL have ever done it, maybe when we got it we set that up but it has zero play in it so, unless I check, I'm not honestly sure.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

I was just suggesting that if the steering wheel could be rocked about due to loose screws inside column shrouding, that would certainly upset the ignition switch linkage and possibly the switch internal contact position. But you would know if your upper column was "sloppy".
    I've seen that over the years, but mainly on GM's. They can loosen up due to people pulling themselves out the driver seat using the steering wheel.
    And of course electrical systems can exhibit some hokey symptoms after circuit boards and connectors have been submerged.

My hunch says it may lie in the column somewhere but that's a wild guess.

Also a maladjusted or faulty shifter cable/linkage can upset neutral start position switch contacts as well as column components. I can't visualize your particular setup.

...and it may be as simple as, the starter relay is getting iffy. It only makes contact when it feels like it.

Iffin I were troubleshooting, that would be the starting point.

Pull the relay and see if it gets 12v on key-turn (at the coil side of the relay), then jumper the two lines that are actually "made" by the relay.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

The ignition is on the console several inches from the column, that said column is tight.

Some of this I'll have to let the mechanic at the local garge do as I've neither the tools nor the experience with a newer vehicle-my older ones never were an issue as you could see everything-they must use Atomic Compactors to cram all that crap under the hood.

Not that I trust the dealership much but, according to them, they did test the elctrical system and it came back clean-starter, battery and all that.

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

A little update. I posted about this issue on Edmund's Friday. One of their people got the schematics and came back telling me this module "Needing" replacement has nothing to do with a Nostart issue. My research over the weekend came to a similar conclusion-it only kicks in when the vehicle is sliding, say on wet pavement or on a incline/decline and losses traction otherwise it just sits there monitoring like a virus scan.

Going to get with the shop around the corner and have them get it to their shop.

I am going to ask them to pull the numbers on the starter we had replaced last year as well-my suspicion: The ignition under recall is the culprit. They make no money on it so they added the "Starter" [[without actually replacing the starter]] to it to pad the bill. The ignition is still the problem so they are adding this module to pad the bill as they would make no money off an older Jeep otherwise.

Man, they sound like rascals. I hope you get the darn problem fixed without getting raked. Best of luck to you and the local shop techs.