Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON Technology to nix cashiers at hundreds of Walmart, Kroger stores
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Technology to nix cashiers at hundreds of Walmart, Kroger stores

From The Blaze
    Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm
    About 500 Walmart and Kroger stores this year will utilize a smartphone app that eliminates the need for customers to interact with cashiers, according to published reports. Both companies are already using the technology, but plan to expand it in 2018.

Walmart announced this week that 100 more stores will use its “Scan & Go” app. Walmart is already testing Scan & Go in a few select markets, including Texas, Florida, South Dakota, Arkansas, Georgia and Kentucky, according to Business Insider. Two-hundred Walmart stores will have the technology by the end of 2018, reports state.

How does it work?
    Customers use the app to scan and bag items while they shop. The app displays the cost of each item, along with a running total. When customers are finished shopping, they can pay directly from their phones instead of standing in line at a register. Before leaving the store, Scan & Go customers will walk through a Mobile Express lane for security purposes.

Some of the test stores have Scan & Go kiosks that allows customers to try out the system on a store handheld device before downloading the app to their phones.

Continued: https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...-kroger-stores

Could be a disaster. If it's used alongside cashiers, great. It basically ensures the line will never be too long because you can always get out your own checkstand.

If it replaces them, not only do you have to have a smartphone to shop there, but you also have a lot of fired cashiers who no longer contribute to the economy.

I do not have a smart phone ,and will never own one. With all of the hacking going on I will not put my banking online. This idea is ripe for exploitation and fraud.
    I do not know what technology is used at the Aldi stores but you can hardly put your purchases on the belt fast enough to keep up to the checker.
    Some one at Aldi decided the checkout was a bottleneck and solved the problem.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Walmart already does such a good job with their self checkout lanes, so this should be great.

I miss the old days......................
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

[Worldwide? The day has come.]

Prague
    Alza.cz To Open a Store Without Cashiers
    11 January 2018
    Alza.cz, leading online retailer of computers, electronics and consumer goods in the Czech Republic is going to open a new store near the metro Flora with no cashiers.

In spring, similar stores will appear also near the metro stations Můstek and Budějovická.

Stores will be open 24 hours a day. They contain 80% of the company's products, including TVs and other electronic equipment.

The store is able to serve up to 1,000 customers per day.

The buyer chooses the product using a computer. After the payment is made (by a card or online), the doors where cells are located, will open. The luminous pointers on the floor will help the client to find the right box.

Alza.cz plans to build a new logistics center in Slovakia which should open in 2019. The online shop logistic centre's location is not clear yet, but it may be located somewhere in the neighbourhood of the Czech Republic.

http://www.praguemorning.cz/alzacz-t...ers-9IogCJLgkN

I WILL NOT buy a smartphone.

I WILL NOT use such an app.

I pay cash as much as possible and I use cashiers so THEY can keep their jobs.

The hell with 'progress' if it hurts people.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Stores around here have found that the self checkouts are only used during insanely busy times and the holidays. People will wait in line for a cashier rather than use self checkout. I used scan and go at Sam's Club twice. It glitches, typically at payment time. Too worrisome but it did help bypass long lines. One of the problems is that I prefer to pay cash and the "options" require using a debit/credit card.
    And stores need to realize that smart phones only have so much memory. Multiple freestanding apps that can't be moved to a memory card mean that your app is unlikely to get loaded to a phone that is already at it's limits.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

I have a smart phone because when I am not home, I want to know what is going on in the world....and I'm a NERD!!!

I use my debit card in those swipe and go isles at Krogers/Fred Meyer.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

My phone can't weight onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery to make a gumbo.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I was in th walmart near me a couple of months ago - they were rearranging everything to add those scan & go things. So had
    this Millenial kid running the checkstand - I said that if they added those things they weren't going to need so many cashiers
    and a bunch would be let go. He said he wasn't worried he was sure they would just switch him to some other job there.

Week later half the cashiers were gone. Never saw that kid again.

Stupidity has a price.

The Walmart here has installed a lot more of the self checking machines, maybe half of the checkout lines are now self check, as each aisle has 4 of them, 2 on each side. I like using them, and they've got much better at detecting the bar codes. They do have a single checker hovering about in case of operator error. Sometimes if you don't move fast enough the scanner will read an item more than once and you can't go back so the checker has to unlock the machine and fiddle. I haven't had them ring the wrong amount up yet but I'm sure that will happen as I buy a lot of stuff on clearance. Even with the checker coming to rectify my screw up, it's a faster checkout than waiting in line.

Funny thing about Walmart lines, people don't chat. I'm the jerk who's always yapping with folks in line, but not in Walmart, I think it's how the lines are bottlenecked, I always feel crowded for space when I check out if I'm standing in a line, it's the only store like that.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

I try not to use the self checkouts much. I'll use one if I only have 4-10 items....but that's like 4 times ever in my years of going to wm. Usually I have a cart full! But when only 2 or 3 regular checkout lanes are open....and the lines are long....I sometimes use the self checkout because I don't like standing in line for 25 min.

As Mr. John B. Wells says, "If you don't like something, stop buying it." I never will use a self check out and don't have a cel phone much less an iphone. How are all these people going to feed their families? Oh yes, the big wigs will get richer. Just don't participate.

Quote Originally Posted by bev View Post
    Walmart already does such a good job with their self checkout lanes, so this should be great.

They have them installed few stores here and it looks like 90% welfare people use it with their electronic/chiped welfare cards.

I like the self- checkouts at Walmart . I have to take the items out of my cart anyway,so I can take my time and check everything before I pay. And sometimes I get left behind change.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

(Now) I never go through the self checkout lanes. I want people to have jobs. I am actually glad the local Albertsons grocery store no longer have self checkout machines.

Our closest Walmart has several self check lanes. Some are for onesie-twosie items, with just the scanner and settlement machine and a some bags. Others have the belt that moves for larger orders.

I used to very strongly want real people cashiers as Wal-Mart. Hell, a long time ago in a lifetime far, far way I used to be one of those cashiers. However, numerous experiences at my local Wal-Mart (local meaning closest, 1.5 hour drive one way) have brought me firmly to the pro self check camp. Don't get me wrong, I want people to have jobs. The problem comes when people don't want to work, but have to.

Some highlights:
    --Having to wait in line for 30, 35, even 40 minutes.
    --Having to answer questions about 75% of items in my order.
    --Super pushy CSMs (in f'ing superhero capes, nonetheless) telling me to go to a different checkstand because it 'would help them'. The only way it would help them was to make the lines appear shorter, not actually be shorter due to the placement of some display items.
    --Being told about things in the cashier's personal life that I had zero interest in and should probably have not been shared in the first place.

I could go on and on about my experiences at WM, but ultimately, it's just a great big 'No' for me.

My grocery store of preference does not have any self check lanes. It's awesome there. The staff are appropriately engaging, knowledgeable, and just all 'round nice people. Their prices are lower than WM, and the quality is better. It's also employee owned.
    Don't tailgate the honeywagon. ;)

I think most of the people who use the scan checkouts - used to be cashiers - guess they forget that some people need jobs - I refuse to use them - more than once when the checkout lanes were backed up - I just left my cart full and left.

The more the greedy unskilled labor force keeps insisting on unrealistic "minimum wage" rates, the more their jobs will be forfeited in favor of technology. They're doing it to themselves. Dumb-asses don't even understand that when they get a minimum wage "raise," they also get a proportionate raise in prices.

This is closer to being what I want.

I want a cart smart enough to know what I put in it. I want a cart I can swipe that store card on, like the walmart credit card would be used at wally world, and it knows I am over 21 so if I put beer in the cart it knows I am ok. Course someone could borrow my card and be under 21 so I expect alcohol to always be an issue.

But anyway, I don't really think I want em anywhere near my phone.

They will store data somewhere. They will get hacked. I will consider my smartphone not secure cause of that. I just finally got back to having a smart phone because it is able to do a whole lot and is very portable.
    working on unplugging.

In my town people were so pissed when they redid the check outs and added a whole bunch of self checkouts on each end of the front end that they refuse to use the self checkouts. They would rather stand in line 6 deep at the 2-3 regular check outs than use the self check ones. I'm sure the scan and go would go over like a lead balloon. Of course these are the same people that pull out a check and write it rather than use a card.

Where are my wages in the form of a discount for my labor of checking myself out? We have several stores here with self checkout but there is a learning curve. Easier to let the cashier earn his/her wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Commander View Post
    Where are my wages in the form of a discount for my labor of checking myself out? We have several stores here with self checkout but there is a learning curve. Easier to let the cashier earn his/her wages.
    I agree. No discount in my area for self-checkout and self bagging so I don't do it.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sometimes the West Coast, sometimes the South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    I miss the old days......................
    You mean when employers could actually hire qualified people who gave a damn about doing a quality job? This is what a $15/hr minimum wage gets you. Automation doesn't require benefits, call in sick, and has no idea what minimum wage is.
    Politicians can't give us anything without depriving us of something else. Government is not a god. Every dime they spend must first be taken from someone else. -- unknown

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -- George Bernard Shaw

Glad to see I'm not the only one that considers using standard checkout helps those people keep their jobs. I also let them bag my groceries and try to use a line with a bagger. Kind of bugs me when they don't have baggers on. Especially for how much I see managers walking around chatting to each other.
    As far as the self checkouts go, I sometimes use the grocery store ones at busy times if I'm running in for 1 or 2 items that aren't produce that needs weighing.
    Last 2 Walmart visits were kind of creepy with the cashiers. Not uncomfortable but I'll probably try the self check out next time as I'm just in there for McD's coffee cans or a single item.

Why is amazon cheaper? No cashier or store! The scan and go program is said to be offering customers discounts for using it shortly after its fully functional.

I kind of like the idea of skipping the cashier and bagging process.

Time saver plus people don’t do a good job bagging.

I would prefer this over all the brick and mortar stores closed.

They have to compete with amazon somehow

I use it at our Vero Beach Sam’s Club. It works fairly well. I had an issue with it not being able to read a few barcodes though. And that breaks the whole process. I’ll try it again the next time I shop there.

I agree Dozdoats..........as long as possible I won't have a smartphone............and won't use such pay & go protocols..........our local stores (specially Safeway) are scheduling fewer cashiers...we all ready stand in lines......King Sooper (Kroger) isn't as stingy but several other stores are shorting cashiers...........
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

What savings are you going to get by self checkout and self bagging, none? I’ll go to the hunan being

Someone I know got arrested for shoplifting at a local WM because she missed scanning an item in her cart. She's a middle aged woman with children in high school. It was in the local small town paper along with her mug shot and she swears it wasn't intentional. I won't be scanning my own groceries by phone or otherwise. The only time I've used it was when the lines were long and a cashier offered to walk me over and scan all my stuff. I only pay with cash or checks so that pretty much eliminates me....I've never owned a debit card.

Don't worry, it won't be long now. Soon all you will do is load your cart, head to the door, go thru the detectors and be done. The products will all have rfid chips, your credit card, phone or the chip on your hand or your forehead, will be debited the exact amount that is in your cart. The inventory control system will be equally efficient in keeping the products in stock and on the shelves. Won't be long. Those self checkout lanes are the in betweeners......

I REFUSE to use the self checkout in any store I go to - it takes jobs.
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

They are in the lower prices you pay.

I don't use self-checkout and I don't have a smart phone. I do complain loudly and often about the lack of open checkouts and missing clerks. I've been told that doing the online survey is a good way to get your complaint to Walmart. Why do I have to use the Internet instead of talking to an employee?

Walmart came in and put all the small businesses in a 30 mile radius out of business and, then when we have no other shopping option, started whacking away at the "convenience" of Walmart. I've never loved the store, but now am loathing it. I do shop there because options are limited in rural areas. I do not buy clothing or groceries there because there are other options for those items i.e. Aldi for food and thrift shops for clothing.

My walmart has over half the cashiers replaced with the scan and go things. I've only seen people using their credit cards. I'm also wondering how the speed grocery pickup is working out for people.

Hey, Walmart just raised their starting wage to 11 bucks an hour and gave other benefits such as bonuses and paid pop out a kid leave for both their female AND male employees.
    Gotta cut costs somehow.
    "When you're dead, you don't even know you're dead.
    It's difficult only for others.
    It's the same when you're stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Yogizorch View Post
    They are in the lower prices you pay.
    BULLSHIT
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    I REFUSE to use the self checkout in any store I go to - it takes jobs.
    Some of the people at our local WM -need- their job taken. Whether I use self check out depends on how much stuff I have, and what mood I'm in.

At the local grocery store, I always bag my own stuff. They have a shortage of baggers, so I'd have to wait for the cashier to ring up the entire order, then bag it. The baggers they do have, aren't particularly good at it anyway.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Someone I know got arrested for shoplifting at a local WM because she missed scanning an item in her cart. She's a middle aged woman with children in high school. It was in the local small town paper along with her mug shot and she swears it wasn't intentional. I won't be scanning my own groceries by phone or otherwise. The only time I've used it was when the lines were long and a cashier offered to walk me over and scan all my stuff. I only pay with cash or checks so that pretty much eliminates me....I've never owned a debit card.
    Oh the poor dear! That could happen to anyone. May she be vindicated.
    Ah well look at the shiny dog n pony show. - Dosadi
    ----------------------------------------------------
    For every prophecy on the first coming of Christ, there are eight on Christ’s second coming. — PAUL LEE TAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    Don't worry, it won't be long now. Soon all you will do is load your cart, head to the door, go thru the detectors and be done. The products will all have rfid chips, your credit card, phone or the chip on your hand or your forehead, will be debited the exact amount that is in your cart. The inventory control system will be equally efficient in keeping the products in stock and on the shelves. Won't be long. Those self checkout lanes are the in betweeners......
    Detectors...well, sure, more cancer-causing rays to bombard our persons...like the backscatter x-rays at airports and the SMART meters that are safe...yeah, right. Agenda 21.

Wonder what the powers that be use to stay healthy with all of the radiation everywhere.
    Ah well look at the shiny dog n pony show. - Dosadi
    ----------------------------------------------------
    For every prophecy on the first coming of Christ, there are eight on Christ’s second coming. — PAUL LEE TAN