Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


SOFT NEWS Dentist Ordered to Pay Mother Nearly $1 Million Dollars For Rasing Him and Funding His Training
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    S.W. Mich. near South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,367

    Dentist Ordered to Pay Mother Nearly $1 Million Dollars For Rasing Him and Funding His Training

    Not sure if I used the best prefix...what is WoT?

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.3733635

    By Caitlyn Hitt
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 3:51 PM

    A dentist in Taiwan has been ordered by one of the country's top courts to pay his mother nearly $1 million for raising him and funding his dentistry training, according to The BBC.

    The mother and son reportedly signed a contract in 1997 in which the dentist, who was 20 years old at the time, vowed to pay his mother 60% of his monthly income after getting his dentistry license.

    When he refused to pay her for a number of years, she took him to court.

    The son argued that it was wrong of his mother, identified only by the last name Luo, to demand financial repayment plus interest for raising him.

    Luo said that she had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars raising her two sons following her divorce.

    She added that she was fearful neither son would take care of her in old age. As such, she signed a contract with both of them agreeing to pay for their schooling provided that they repay her with a portion of their earnings down the line.

    Citing local media, the BBC reported that Luo and her older son reached an agreement for an amount less than they'd initially agreed upon.

    The younger son, identified by the last name Chu, was not so lucky.

    According to the outlet, he said he was young when he signed the agreement and, because of this, it should be irrelevant.

    Additionally, he claimed that he had worked in his mother's dental clinic for years following his college graduation and helped bring in more than the amount he was expected to repay her.

    Despite his best efforts, the courts ruled in his mother's favor, finding that the contract was valid.

    Speaking with the BBC, a Supreme Court spokeswoman said the judges ruled in Luo's favor because Chu was an adult when he signed the contract with his mother and wasn't forced to do it.

    What's more, Taiwan's civil code dictates that adult children are responsible for caring for their elderly parents, though it's rare that a parent sue their child for not providing appropriate care.

  2. #2
    That'll probably put a little chill on family celebrations.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    No one who hasn't experienced that culture will understand that article. There is something not being said there. Based on my experiences there, the existence of a contract spells troubled waters. That contract would not be necessary if the guy conformed to their cultural norms. He obviously had issues at the age of 20 that made the mother feel such a contract necessary.
    With cultural norms put aside, a contract is a contract. The mother rightfully sued imo.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    35,161
    60% is a bit much and raising him was her obligation.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    60% is a bit much and raising him was her obligation.

    A contract is a contract.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    10,099
    Mothers, make sure your babies grow up to be cowboys.
    Don't let them be doctors, or lawyers or such.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    60% is a bit much and raising him was her obligation.
    Through the lens of western culture, it would appear she had an obligation to him.
    Through the lens of their culture, that obligation ended.
    Age of Majority is 18.
    Age of criminal responsibly is 14.
    Voting age is 20.
    Current law in Tiawan only mandates 9 years of education.
    High School is optional for another 3 years.
    If you don't do well enough in those years to qualify for college, you can be sent to a buxibon (what we would consider remedial/cram school). Acceptance in college is not the given it is in the states.
    There is no equivalent to a local community college.

    There is definitely a back story here. If you're from a rich family, you can effectively buy your way into school if your grades didn't cut it, but you still have to pass entrance exams.

    Competition in ROC advanced education is fierce, she had to put up a serious wad of money for both the buxibon and added fees if his grades didn't cut it. Conversely, if your grades did make muster, you're supported by ROC financially. That is what tells me she had to buy his way in.

    In my eyes, he should have been appreciative rather than trying to squelch on the contract. She could have left him to fend for himself instead. I've been in Tiawan on multiple occasions, I'll lay good odds that's exactly how their court saw it.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    60% is a bit much and raising him was her obligation.
    True only to the age of majority. Parents are in no way obligated to pay for higher education.

    While 60% is ludicrous IMO, he did sign the contract.
    I don't want to. I'm not going to. You can't make me. I'm retired!

    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Elza View Post
    True only to the age of majority. Parents are in no way obligated to pay for higher education.

    While 60% is ludicrous IMO, he did sign the contract.
    I'd be very much surprised if that 60% wasn't a result of his refusing to pay her back for several years.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    I'd be very much surprised if that 60% wasn't a result of his refusing to pay her back for several years.
    No, per the OP that was stipulated in the contract, it's not a penalty after nonperformance.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    No, per the OP that was stipulated in the contract, it's not a penalty after nonperformance.
    I don't disagree, it was in the OP article. What I'm questioning is the veracity of that part of the article.
    It reads like a western interpretation.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    I don't disagree, it was in the OP article. What I'm questioning is the veracity of that part of the article. It reads like a western interpretation.
    Ah, gotcha.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    S.W. Mich. near South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,367
    Delta,

    " Mothers, make sure your babies grow up to be cowboys.Don't let them be doctors, or lawyers or such."

    Great sense of humor!

    I haven't figured out how to use those quote thingys.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiana MaJo View Post
    I haven't figured out how to use those quote thingys.
    Do a reply-with-quote on someone who did, and you can see how they did it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    151,215
    Judge Judy would’ve had a field day with this case.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    [quote ] text [/quote ]
    Will look like this when you remove the spaces.
    text
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Judge Judy would’ve had a field day with this case.
    Yes she would, I'd pay to see that case with her in the states.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Containment Area for Relocated Yankees - former Pittsburgher
    Posts
    1,324
    I wouldn't. Judge Judy is an obnoxious mouthy power-mad bitch. If I was ever in her court, I'd end up in jail because I'd be unable to refrain from telling her this.
    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    37,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    60% is a bit much and raising him was her obligation.
    Not in that culture. The deal is in most asian countries is parents raise, and educate, their children and in exchange the children support their parents until death. I had a roommate from Thailand who was constantly in freak out mode about her grades, etc, her sisters had been sold as slaves to the local village in exchange for her education they were paying for over here in the states. There was NO room for error at all, anything short of mere perfection would result in the deaths of her sisters. In exchange for her fine education here in the states when she was done about 60-70% of her income would go back to support the village.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    37,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Through the lens of western culture, it would appear she had an obligation to him.
    Through the lens of their culture, that obligation ended.
    Age of Majority is 18.
    Age of criminal responsibly is 14.
    Voting age is 20.
    Current law in Tiawan only mandates 9 years of education.
    High School is optional for another 3 years.
    If you don't do well enough in those years to qualify for college, you can be sent to a buxibon (what we would consider remedial/cram school). Acceptance in college is not the given it is in the states.
    There is no equivalent to a local community college.

    There is definitely a back story here. If you're from a rich family, you can effectively buy your way into school if your grades didn't cut it, but you still have to pass entrance exams.

    Competition in ROC advanced education is fierce, she had to put up a serious wad of money for both the buxibon and added fees if his grades didn't cut it. Conversely, if your grades did make muster, you're supported by ROC financially. That is what tells me she had to buy his way in.

    In my eyes, he should have been appreciative rather than trying to squelch on the contract. She could have left him to fend for himself instead. I've been in Tiawan on multiple occasions, I'll lay good odds that's exactly how their court saw it.

    Things NOT mentioned in the article, because the story is viewed through the eyes of western journalism, didi the mom sell her daughter(s) to fund her sons education? This happens more than anyone in the west wants to acknowledge.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  21. #21
    Yep, and in some Asian countries (a growing number, including I think China) there are laws being passed that REQUIRE children to support their parents in their old age, including girls (who used to be expected to support their in-laws).

    It is a different system, but until recently even Japan didn't really have any sort of regular system for dealing with the very old; that was the family's job; most of the time that means "buying" mom and pop a small shop to run in "retirement."

    These days a combination of economic slowdown and an increase if the oldest-old (80 plus) who eventually become to frail to run such business; along with smaller families (not everyone even has grown children who are alive or grandkids in a position to take them in) is forcing Japan to make some inroads on elder care; especially using automation and robots.

    The contract thing does make me think that Momma suspected sonny boy wasn't like to come through without pressure; but while that might be thrown out as invalid by a US court (I say might, not sure) in Asian; it just would iron-clad the existing custom.

    Without it, Dr. Dentist might have been ordered by the court to pay a lower amount to support Mummy Dear every month, but he would almost certainly be ordered to pay elder support.

    The west has "versions" of this, but it comes up more often in terms of laws that try to force adult children to pay for nursing homes and the like; and of course the taking of the parent's property after death to pay for the back-bills.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Things NOT mentioned in the article, because the story is viewed through the eyes of western journalism, didi the mom sell her daughter(s) to fund her sons education? This happens more than anyone in the west wants to acknowledge.
    Agreed. Young girls have been sold into slavery for far less. Western journalist will do a rare fill in the blank pity story, but never expect them to tell the unvarnished truth.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    27,704
    That parents have an obligation to raise and provide for their children, and that children have an obligation to then care for their elderly parents, has LONG been a tenet of Judaism (and subsequently Christianity), as well as being reflected in the morals of (older) pagan societies:

    Mark 7:

    6Jesus replied, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote,

    ‘These people honor me with their lips,

    but their hearts are far from me.

    7Their worship is a farce,

    for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’d

    8For you ignore God’s law and substitute your own tradition.”

    9Then he said, “You skillfully sidestep God’s law in order to hold on to your own tradition. 10For instance, Moses gave you this law from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’e and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’f 11But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’g 12In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. 13And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.”
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    37,742
    Agreed to the above it's only been in the last 30 or so years where it's common place to put mom and dad into a nursing home and go about one's life like they no longer exist. I realize in severe cases, like with my dad and his dementia which only made him even more violent, that there are times when these places are needed, but more often than not it's not needed!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Purdy area, Western WA
    Posts
    28,504
    If you "don't have room" to take in an elderly parent....MOVE and buy a place with more room....you SHOULD have thought about that when you were buying the "too small" place you are in! You MAKE A PLACE for mom or dad, a good place, equal to your own room.

    The duty does not go away with YOUR "circumstances" or finances. If you are too far away and they won't or cant move to you, YOU MOVE TO THEM, to fulfill your duty. That is WHY it is called a duty...it isn't easy. It also does not depend on your FEELINGS about that parent, it should be something done out of a feeling of love, respect and honor, BUT THE DUTY IS NOT DISMISSED BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THOSE "FEELINGS"! God commands us to LOVE (and you cannot command feelings) which should tell you that the love that God commands has nothing to do with your feelings. THAT KIND OF LOVE IS A DECISION to sincerely act and behave in a manner consistent with LOVE.

    Few people NOWADAYS feel any sense of obligation to fulfill their sacrificial DUTY to their parents and that has now devolved into fewer adults feeling any sacrificial duty to their children. So many 18-35 yr old PARENTS now seem to be stuck in permanent immature, juvenile irresponsibility, no longer willing to deny themselves and the immediate gratification of their wants, or forego getting high or drunk, partying or other recreation just for the sake of their kids and the children's needs.

    I KNOW what I am talking about. I was not "close" to my parents emotionally. They were strict and authoritative and a little distant. My mom suffered from paranoia, fears and other, self worth issues and could become horribly verbally abusive. She came to live with us for years and I AM SO GLAD SHE DID. I was able to help her climb out of the paranoia prison, cement her positive sense of self-worth, and profit greatly by her 70 plus years of knowledge I had a chance as an adult to absorb. We grew MUCH closer as adults, as I came to understand that she had done the absolute best she knew how to raise me and my sister considering how SHE was raised, what education and skills she had to work with and what physical and mental burdens she had to deal with daily. By the time she died we had become really bonded tightly in love. We went to garage sales all summer, fishing every chance we got, shopping together, out to dinner together in restaurants every time she had a doctor's appointment or Bone cancer treatment. We canned hundreds of jars of food together for Y2K and she taught me dozens of new dishes. EVEN later when she could not stand up to the stove and cook, I made a little table in the kitchen with an electric skillet where she could sit at that table and fix foods, "the way SHE liked them cooked!" which made her delightfully happy. When she became bedridden I mounted a special Birdhouse on her window where she could see them come and eat and also see inside the birdhouse as they made nests!
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 01-04-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    You who SEEK revenge,or JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    151,215
    Quote Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
    I wouldn't. Judge Judy is an obnoxious mouthy power-mad bitch. If I was ever in her court, I'd end up in jail because I'd be unable to refrain from telling her this.
    You’d also be in jail for telling that to a sitting judge, which it sounds like you’d probably do. My suggestion is to never, ever go to court. Not for any reason.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    9,443
    Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Agreed to the above it's only been in the last 30 or so years where it's common place to put mom and dad into a nursing home and go about one's life like they no longer exist. I realize in severe cases, like with my dad and his dementia which only made him even more violent, that there are times when these places are needed, but more often than not it's not needed!
    Exactly! This is why my daughter and I moved from NH back to Oregon fourteen years ago -- so my grandmother wouldn't have to go into assisted living (she never would have needed a nursing home up until the last couple of weeks of her life -- she was 97 when she died and up until her final heart attack was still caring for herself just fine; I did most of the housework, though). Either I or one of my siblings will take care of my mother, should she ever need us to. And my two older daughters are both prepared and willing to take care of me if I ever need it. However, we don't have any family history of dementia, and most family members have stayed in fairly good health until shortly before their deaths.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mount Kosciuszko
    Posts
    345
    We're being robbed by a dentist!
    et conciderunt ligna, ergo sum

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Containment Area for Relocated Yankees - former Pittsburgher
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    You’d also be in jail for telling that to a sitting judge, which it sounds like you’d probably do. My suggestion is to never, ever go to court. Not for any reason.
    Oh, it's what I would *like* to do. I'm not stupid though. I know when to shut my mouth. You don't back talk judges (even semi-faux ones like Judge Judy who probably would send one to the slammer) or cops or others who can make your life miserable. When it comes to court (and I've been to court a handful of times as a witness or potential juror), you let the lawyers do the talking and never say more than you must.

    I don't like people like Judge Judy. I know it's mostly an act, but I find her persona and behavior unprofessional in the extreme.
    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    25,737
    judge judy is a travesty of our judicial system and I believe her disgusting, disrespectful behavior is the reason she's on the show; it was created to make a mockery of our Law and foment hatred and disregard for it. Her yearly check tells you who she really works for, the revolting little poop eater.

    "All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."


  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mid-South
    Posts
    5,888
    Mother should only receive the amount of money, she loan her son to go back to school, to get his dental licenses and not a penny more. Raising her son was her responsibility until he's 18. So sad families members split up over money!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Purdy area, Western WA
    Posts
    28,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzieq View Post
    Mother should only receive the amount of money, she loan her son to go back to school, to get his dental licenses and not a penny more. Raising her son was her responsibility until he's 18. So sad families members split up over money!
    It is JUST AS MUCH HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF HER IN HER OLD AGE as it is her responsibility to raise him!
    If he wants to abdicate HIS responsibility then He can PAY HER TO be able to pay someone else to care for her in her old age!
    HE is bailing out of his end of the social (and legal) contract after his mother FULFILLED her part of the contract!
    YEP, HE PAYS.
    You who SEEK revenge,or JUSTICE for the wrongs, crimes and sins done to you, will find it in the same place that God is freely handing out Mercy, At the Cross, where Christ died taking the punishment not only for your sins, but also for the sins committed against you by others!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Swimming in sea quarks
    Posts
    3,767
    I mean no offense to anyone here, but judgement through the eyes of one culture of another is usually flawed.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Colorado, via People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    8,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Elza View Post
    Parents are in no way obligated to pay for higher education.
    Not true; ask any divorced parent who's children are from NY/NJ/CT and other states. Courts have consistently gone after divorced parents on behalf of the children to pay for college; it happened to me, so I can speak from experience. It doesn't even go to trial, it's an immediate court hearing and then court order, which is procedural at best.
    " 'cause we'll put a boot up your ass, it's the American way".

    Preps = "Git 'r done"
    Preps = "Just do it"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.