Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL Welfare Reform at Top of GOP's To-Do List
+ Reply to Thread

14 Welfare Reform at Top of GOP's To-Do List

Rep. Steve Scalise: Welfare Reform at Top of GOP's To-Do List
    By Susan Jones | January 2, 2018 | 9:58 AM EST

(CNSNews.com) - "There's a lot that we're going to be doing in 2018, and it starts where we left off," Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), the House Majority Whip, told "Fox & Friends" on Tuesday.

He put welfare reform at the top of the list, noting that as the economy takes off, "the next big thing you're going to see is a need for workers."

"And I think the best thing we can do is to go and reform those welfare programs that are trapping people in a failed welfare state. Let's actually put some work requirements in place so that we can get people back to work, rebuild the middle class.

"Then we're going to have to work on health care again."

Scalise also called for a balanced federal budget.

Earlier on "Fox & Friends," Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway also mentioned welfare reform among the Republican priorities for 2018, saying President Trump values "the dignity of work."

"This is a president that's invested in all types of careers and is trying to tell Americans that we dignify every type of work."

Conway noted that not everyone is cut out for college, "and that's fine," she said. "We want folks to be able to graduate from high school, community college with a skill and get to work."

She mentioned apprenticeship and jobs-training programs as pathways to employment.

Conway also listed the budget and infrastructure improvements as domestic priorities for the president.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...p-gops-do-list
    ----------------------------------

This has been a long time coming! No more Skittles, Cheetos, lobster, for the dindu nuffins!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    No more Skittles, Cheetos, lobster, for the dindu nuffins!
    Better follow it up with an open season rule for when the inevitable "thass raciss" riots kick up.

I knew this was coming - they have been chipping in this direction all year - selective GOPish states as well .... goes along with the immigration reforms ....

you saw the FL welfare queen with the 15 illigite kids - she's going to have future trouble and ALL her sisters tooooo .....
    Illini Warrior

I am all for work-fare for the able-bodied, as long as it ONLY involves charities, nonprofit or civic/community/government organizations.

The ONLY way the private sector should be involved is in creating, sponsoring and agreeing to hire (as needed) graduates of new apprenticeship programs with a certificate at the end that all in the field (or the State at least) agrees to recognize.

I have seen "workfare" abused over and over again by the private sector when it is just "offered" essentially free or nearly free labor; on both sides of the Atlantic.

The main workfare program here in Ireland was shut down after a review showed that almost all the larger employers were just using it for free labor that was replacing employees they would otherwise have to hire.

My housemate is typical, a large multinational company got the services of a free, totally qualified and trained engineer (actually about five of them) for FREE; praised their work to the skies, hinted they would be hired and then claimed "the home office" wouldn't let them.

Of course not, when they could get five more unemployed engineers who worked for their welfare/job seekers checks by making a phone call?

A similar program in the UK was shut down or modified (forget which) when several of the countries largest corporate chains (more than one) was caught claiming to be "mentoring" welfare workers when in reality the jobs had little or no mentoring at all; and were instead free labor that simply replaced the low wage folks that they would have to pay otherwise.

The irony of some of these people not being hired for full-time jobs they would have qualified for, but instead, are "hired" as free labor to be paid for by the taxpayer because they are on "workfare" did not escape a good deal of the UK public.

There is a lot that "needs doing" in the US (and Ireland for that matter) and lots of non-profits, charities and community organizations that could use the help.

Again, if the major grocery store chains want to get together and start a "sales-person" or "supermarket manager" training course with a real certification at the end they all agree to recognize (like the Data Entry certificate I got a night school) I'm OK with that.

Otherwise, pay your workers and don't ask the taxpayer to do it for you.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Better follow it up with an open season rule for when the inevitable "thass raciss" riots kick up.
    That's okay, let them burn the place they live in down, that won't be anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I am all for work-fare for the able-bodied, as long as it ONLY involves charities, nonprofit or civic/community/government organizations.

Otherwise, pay your workers and don't ask the taxpayer to do it for you.
    There's plenty of jobs available for the nonskilled. They can pick through garbage and separate the recyclable items from the nonrecyclable. Plenty of trash on the roadside, they can spend their time picking that up. There's plenty of forest land that needs to be worked to prevent fires,. Here, they've got the jail birds out doing the work, it beats sitting in jail and they're learning a skill. Plenty of replanting of native species along rivers and trails. Lots of burned out areas in California (just for an example), that need replanting of trees and native plants. There's plenty for the dindu nuffins to do. Graffiti work is another area that the didnu's can work. So many other worth while projects they can do. If they don't show up, they don't get anything. Break their dinner plate.

Some were behind me in the grocery line several months ago saying "Party, Party, Party all day long" I guess they have lived like Kings and Queens while everyone else worked to support them. They were perfectly healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    There's plenty of jobs available for the nonskilled. They can pick through garbage and separate the recyclable items from the nonrecyclable. Plenty of trash on the roadside, they can spend their time picking that up. There's plenty of forest land that needs to be worked to prevent fires,. Here, they've got the jail birds out doing the work, it beats sitting in jail and they're learning a skill. Plenty of replanting of native species along rivers and trails. Lots of burned out areas in California (just for an example), that need replanting of trees and native plants. There's plenty for the dindu nuffins to do. Graffiti work is another area that the didnu's can work. So many other worth while projects they can do. If they don't show up, they don't get anything. Break their dinner plate.
    Exactly, plenty to do and in the UK you can even add the health system to your list (except when things have been "sent out" to the private sector); plenty of stuff that needs doing and not all of it manual labor (which not everyone can do); even in the best of health I probably would have fainted picking up roadside trash in the hot sun; but in order to get office experience I volunteed for non-profit in exchange for a job reference that did get me gainfully employed (I volunteered while I worked on that Data Entry certificate).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

After five generations or more of never-hit-a-lick-at-a-snake levels of work, the dindoos here in the FUSA are about as useless as any human being (if they could even be called that - many are merely bipedal animals) has ever been.

Cutting off their freebies will not sit well with them - dey bees n'titled.

Best buy more ammo if you live near them..... better yet, move.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    After five generations or more of never-hit-a-lick-at-a-snake levels of work, the indoors here in the FUSA are about as useless as any human being (if they could even be called that - many are merely bipedal animals) has ever been.

Cutting off their freebies will not sit well with them - dey bees n'titled.

Best buy more ammo if you live near them..... better yet, move.
    Thankfully, not everyone on welfare is in this category; when I worked there it was about 1/3 of the total welfare population.

The groups where:

1. Educated and usually employed people down on their luck, usually illness, divorce, widowhood or a layoff (or combinations) these people would be the most used and even appreciate workfare, especially if it led to something (even a good recommendation) they do not deal well with exploitation - my engineer housemate is in this category and nearly ended up taking the agency to court before the welfare office backed down.

2. Willing but clueless; often barely high school (or no diploma), in many places actually was married to the father of the children but very young; may have expected to be a housewife until the marriage broke up - often young (two kids and 21 is common) this group has a high danger of falling into group three without interventions. My mother used to do personal interventions in these situations (she ran a daycare center) but one person can only do so much.

This group benefits THE MOST from workfare when it is well thought out, leads to certification in a field (office work, daycare assistant, supermarket clerk or even nursing/union labor for the more highly skilled/driver).

3. The group of "never-hit-a-lick-at-a-snake" level of work for at least two or three generations; you often have to go to great-grandparents to find anyone employed. While you get the occasional really driven person that does make lemonade out of a life of lemons; for the most part this group is the group the public THINKS welfare reform targets but that isn't really the case.

This is especially true when the ever-popular "contract out" is done to the "private sector" to run the programs who get paid by how many people they get off welfare; trust me they don't want to deal with this third group and usually try to just give them enough rope to hang themselves with and/or try to make sure they never get started in one of their "programs" in the first place.

Instead, they want everyone from group one who almost certainly will show up for work and becoming gainfully employed (and would anyway eventually in most cases); the second group makes them look good and is pretty easy - a GED here, a secretarial course there, the occasional nursing scholarship to put into the report to Washington (even better if you have photo of smiling new nurse, she's only one out of 5,000 people in your program but that doesn't matter).

They don't want failures, UNLESS they can get them into "jobs" that everyone knows the person isn't suited for (because without major and I do mean a major workover on an individual basis these people are not fit for the workforce yet) but just getting them "hired" often lets the mark the "passed the program" so the program gets paid.

Now it won't surprise me if these days both groups one and groups three are larger and the middle group smaller; that's because many good people have been thrown on welfare/AFDC with their teenagers do to layoffs and industry changes (and after 35 getting hired again to do anything can be a slog and in some areas nearly impossible) and group three has probably grown as the job market decline lets more of group two sink down to the lower levels by the time they are past 35.

Again, I'm not against welfare or training programs; but to WORK they take a lot of time, effort and money AND they have to lead to REAL EMPLOYMENT, unless the government wants to set up a new WPA, which in some cases might be the best solution but again it should NOT take jobs in the private sector, otherwise you are just using taxpayers to support private business (and usually not the small ones either, the ones who could really use the help).

Thankfully, not everyone on welfare is in this category

Depends on where you are. If you want first hand experience you can live rent free in a house in central AL where the population is 70% black and see for yourself what welfare in the FUSA hath wrought.

Thanks again for the Great Society, LBJ. Glad I didn't get killed in your war. Yet ...
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Thankfully, not everyone on welfare is in this category

Depends on where you are. If you want the first-hand experience you can live rent-free in a house in central AL where the population is 70% black and see for yourself what welfare in the FUSA hath wrought.

Thanks again for the Great Society, LBJ. Glad I didn't get killed in your war. Yet ...
    Does spending weekends at Jackson State (traditional Negro University) and going home with both white and black Classmates both in Raymond Mississippi, and Hattiesburg (as well as other small towns, one of which had the only traffic light in the county?)

I've also done volunteer worked and lived for town months in the "wrong" side of St. Lous, Mo and the homeless in downtown San Francisco - oh and I once had a job in one of the "worst" neighborhoods in Denver; now that was scary.

As a clergy person, I often have had to go places I would rather not have gone; especially the homeless -no-tell- motels of the Bay Area...I even spent a night in a room once (7 dollars a night and/or your entire SSI check for the month) the needles on the floor were just the start...

So rural and urban, I have seen it - that said it was 23 or more years ago since I married and moved over here but it sounds like while it may be more widespread, the shacks with dead washing machines on the front porch and/or the balconies full of leftover drugs and underwear are still going strong.

23 years is almost two generations' worth. Things have changed a lot in two decades, and not for the better. And they continue to get worse.

Congratulations on surviving your experiences in the deep South - though I wouldn't suggest doing it again.

23 years is almost two generations' worth. Things have changed a lot in two decades, and not for the better. And they continue to get worse.

Congratulations on surviving your experiences in the deep South - though I wouldn't suggest doing it again.
    Well, sadly I didn't get to meet my Mom's best friend that she met after her sister died (her other best friend) they were at the same old folks rec center; my Mom helped her friend out a lot when the hurricane took the roof off her house and the city didn't want to fix houses on "that" side of town. I didn't even know that "so-and-so" was an elderly African American Church lady until that happened.

Oh, and I wasn't totally stupid, I was usually with locals or the children of locals; that was true the few times I ventured into the serious slums in Venezuela - though getting shot at and ending up on the floor of the truck was an experience I'd rather not repeat - most of the time we were OK because my friend's fiance was from the area (he met her when he picked her up trying to hitchhike to college and to better herself).

I remember being stopped by a gang once at gunpoint who just smiled and said: "it's OK, it is just Rafa, so and so's hombre."

Still, in general, the Deep South was scarier; I was so poor myself at one point I took a job as a cocktail waitress and singer at the local Moose lodge; a charming and intelligent young man chatted me up, I went outside with him for a bit (not too far, I had a secret chaperone in the bartender) he wanted to show me something special.

I was glad I hadn't accepted a date yet, his "special" was his really fancy dragon robes..I don't know what level and I don't want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    I knew this was coming - they have been chipping in this direction all year - selective GOPish states as well .... goes along with the immigration reforms ....

you saw the FL welfare queen with the 15 illigite kids - she's going to have future trouble and ALL her sisters tooooo .....
    well I pray you're right but until I SEE IT TOUCH IT or TASTE it, I won't be holding my breath. we are now into the 7'th and 8'th generation of professional gubmint gibs-me-dats and IMO it WON'T be getting better any time soon.

GOPe = DEMONRAT = GOPe = DEMONRAT
    ďSo then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.Ē REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

While I hope they can reform it, I don't have much hope. I've written before about the single mom at church. He child is now 2 and 8 months. She still doesn't have a car one of her main excuses why she can't work. People at church have thought about giving/selling her one cheap but she can't afford the insurance and papers to have it in her name, nor the gas. When she could have walked to the Kroger, she wouldn't try and get a job there. Somehow people need to get to the job.

She would need childcare. Her son is special needs. Not cheap. Same problem for many others. Who is going to watch the kid, special needs or not?

She would need to clean up her Facebook page. She doesn't want to do that. She is still nursing him. She likes having a photo of that on the front page of Facebook. Others don't seem to think Facebook matters in hiring. Can't get it through her head it does. Others also would need to understand certain photos doesn't put you in the hiring top tier.

I suppose she would fall into Melodi's category 2 but I expect it to be category 3 for the son. Many of us have tried to help her but she is known as lazy now and not getting much help. She is nice but seems to have no connection to reality of "this is what mommies do because they are mommies."

A

Yep, Category two; but in danger of falling into Category three; in reality she might be a fourth category I think should have been on the in-house list but was not - and that is Single Mothers (or Married Mothers with disabled husbands) who are forced to be full-time caregivers for a sick or disabled child.

Now these women, when this is really the case (I don't know this girls case or not, sounds like she has other issues) they should be looked at as what they are: essentially government employees (aka paid by the taxpayer) to care full time for their special needs child (as well as any other kids they have).

By doing this, they save the States, Counties, and Federal Governments TONS of money that otherwise would have to go towards a special home with 24/7 round the clock carers and nurses.

The Mom's pay should REFLECT this, but she can LOSE HER JOB if she doesn't do it properly or is neglectful (this needs to be supervised to make sure it isn't some bully from social services getting weird but a basic standard of care should be required).

One study, the one about workfare in Los Angeles found this was one of the leading reasons women ended up back on welfare after getting employed; a child became seriously ill and/or had special needs to start out with and as soon as the subsidized special childcare (at a center for the disabled or some such) was pulled; the Mom ended up back on welfare because most daycare centers can't or won't take a severely ill or disabled child.

But otherwise, yep classic type 2 getting ready to fall into type 3 and since she has a Church community trying to help her and is still refusing help; except for the son (which she may not be able to do much about) she's likely to keep falling - you can't help everyone.

23 years is a long time. Let me update you. 20 years ago I worked for a food distribution company. There was a mix of a few full time people like myself, and "temp" workers. When I hired on, I wondered about that but it soon became very clear to me why that was. The way it worked was to bring in "temps" and once they had proved themselves, they would go full time. This very rarely happened. In the 5 years that I worked there, it NEVER happened that I knew of. This was because we were paid on Thursday just before noon. They would get their checks and leave for lunch, not to be seen again until Tuesday morning. I asked what was up with that and it was explained to me that if they worked more than 2.5 days, it would cut into their benefits. Yep, full welfare and pocket money.

Fast forward to about 15 years ago. I overheard a woman telling another that nobody in her family had worked for 3 generations and as far as she was concerned, none of them ever would. It would seem that actual work was beneath her and her family.

Periodically DH will ask me how it is that the government housing projects always have Jaguars, BMWs or Mercedes parked outside. Bless his heart, he's spent too much time working to notice what has been going on around him, so I have to explain it to him. They pay for nothing. Housing, free. Phone, free. medical, free. Food, free. Even their utilities are on a reduced fee basis because they are considered low income. But, let's be honest and realize that they pay that reduced bill from their welfare check, so essentially that's free too.

I did a little research a couple of years ago and discovered that a single mother with 2 children on food stamps in my county got $426 and change per month. I'm sure that amount has gone up, but irregardless, that amount is supposed to be a "supplement." Well guess what. It's not. If you don't work, you have nothing to contribute towards it to start with. Then there is WIC, with all the free food for pregnant mothers and children up to 5. But hey, let's not forget the school age children. They get a free breakfast and lunch at school. In my county, they even get the free lunch when school is out in the summer. All they have to do is show up. But wait, they might go hungry on the weekend, so let's fill their backpack with food for that. Never mind that most of it will litter the floor of the school bus and be thrown away.

Yes, I have been in the checkout line behind the woman with 3 EBT cards. Yes, I have been in the checkout line behind the woman with 6, yes 6 WIC vouchers. That's 6 kids all under the age of 5. Yes, I am approached often by someone wanting to "buy" my groceries with their EBT card, if I will give them half the amount in cash.

The welfare system is broken. It is no longer a helping hand, it's a way of life. It's a game to them to see how much they can get. As a tax payer, I am sick of it.

I am well aware that there are many people who depend on these programs to get through a hard patch in life. Hard patches are temporary, not a way of life. The majority have become comfortable in their poverty and have no motivation to better themselves. We need to scrap the whole system and start over. I'm not an expert, but even I can see that when a 13 or 14 year old girl has no more ambition than to have a baby so she can get her check started, we need to make drastic changes to the way things are. We have rewarded them for being irresponsible, so we get more and more who are irresponsible. Can't they see that they have become slaves to the system?

Melodi, her son has epilepsy and is way behind on normal development things. Still doesn't speak like he should. He doesn't make 2 word "sentences" yet. Limited vocabulary. Needs OT and PT. He has 3+ therapy sessions a week.
    There are days I just want to scream at her. She complains about having to go to them (social worker involved.) I remember paying $80/half hour for my son's therapy 10 year ago, CASH! since insurance wouldn't cover any OT/PT. She easily gets $500 of therapy sessions a week and is not grateful. She just complains that the therapists keep saying "he's so far behind." He is. Fact of life. If it weren't for the fact I think God wants me to help her, I'd have left.

A

That group existed when I worked at AFDC, and I also saw it when I was working as a temp in the 1980's; especially those times I took on the really low-end office jobs; they used to like to send me because even with my bad spelling, I can copy addresses onto an envelope and back then hospitals and universities trying to get their patrons to come to fundraising events used to have temps address them by hand so they looked like a "real" invitation, ditto a factory job on the "wrong" side of Denver (we were all temps, I don't think they hired actual workers).

That job was all about sticking tinsel onto some company Christmas cards (I'm not kidding) and then stuffing them in an envelope; a number of folks couldn't seem to manage even to do that.

And don't even get me started on the women I was supposed to "train" who really was motivated, but hired under a special government work program as a civil servant; except for the poor dear weight 500 pounds (at least) and no one had ever told her (I'm serious) that a tracksuit or PJ's are not proper work attire at the US Attorney's office.

It almost made me cry because she really did want to work now that her five kids were all in school and she was motivated, but all that preparation work that the "agencies" should have done was either not working or hadn't happened at all in her case (I suspect the later) I was only in that job for three more weeks (I was already transferring) and I did my best to teach her to answer the phone system; problem was I'm not sure her skills included reading beyond a fifth grade level and even I found the new system confusing.

We had, had a few hours "training" which mostly consisted of the "trainer" saying "and this button would do this, but your employer declined to purchase that option" over and over again.

I don't know if she stayed in that job or not; she needed a lot more help than anyone had time to give her and by the time I left staff was getting upset about missed calls, messages etc.

My next job was at AFDC (Administration for Children and Families - aka welfare in the US); that is where I discovered how people like her were getting hired...

I'm not sure you could get a private company to take someone like that on, nor should they; but if those were issues with a highly motivated person, I can only imagine what it must be like for those that are not.

Again, 23 years ago or now; the bottom "third" (maybe now it is half) of the worst cases are what always hit the newspaper and the floor of Congress; that's because the people who do manage to just use the programs as intended and are lucky enough to live where there is work (hard to move if you have two kids and no real income) are constantly changing; while the names and the faces of the bottom group just stay there.

Honestly, it is worse in Europe where we have REAL welfare (not just attached to kids in theory) and most of the multigenerational families are local and white (we haven't had immigrants in Ireland long enough to have multigenerational welfare families of color).

Quote Originally Posted by amarilla View Post
    Melodi, her son has epilepsy and is way behind on normal development things. Still doesn't speak like he should. He doesn't make 2 word "sentences" yet. Limited vocabulary. Needs OT and PT. He has 3+ therapy sessions a week.
    There are days I just want to scream at her. She complains about having to go to them (social worker involved.) I remember paying $80/half hour for my son's therapy 10 year ago, CASH! since insurance wouldn't cover any OT/PT. She easily gets $500 of therapy sessions a week and is not grateful. She just complains that the therapists keep saying "he's so far behind." He is. Fact of life. If it weren't for the fact I think God wants me to help her, I'd have left.

A
    You are that child's angel even if you don't know it; it sounds to me like Mom is a permanent welfare Mom wanna be; in my proposal (not that anyone would listen to me) taking him to appointments, getting him good medical care and doing any assigned homework "therapy" would be part of being paid to be his carer.

If she isn't doing that, then he might be better off in a home where they will; bless you for being there but as my Mom knew when she was doing similar things with her young single Mom's - some people will surprise you and take advantage of good help and opportunities to do better others, well they just won't and you can't make them.

You can however, watch that child like a hawk and if things get really bad, at least speak to your pastor about whom to contact (probably social services but they vary a lot).

Melodi, I do watch out for the kid. Haven't seen anything for sure or I would have reported it.

You brought up another good point on moving to jobs. I have another friend. Was a single mom until the daughter got pregnant and moved in with the boyfriend. This woman is trying to make it but you can't have $725 in rent making $10/hour. She doesn't want to move to where there would be better jobs. She doesn't have money to move but I'd even fund that if she was willing to move. I get wanting to see the grandkid but you cant survive on $10. Lives in the middle of nowhere. There are no jobs in the middle of nowhere. She is nearly retirement age and I have no idea how she thinks she can survive on Social Security. I don't think SS will be more than she is making now.

A

A