Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD New Ruger 9mm PC (Pistol Caliber) Takedown Carbine (with accessory Glock magazine well)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Ruger 9mm PC (Pistol Caliber) Takedown Carbine (with accessory Glock magazine well)

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Video at the link...

Ruger® PC Carbine™

Practical and Versatile

Interchangeable magazine wells for use of common Ruger® and Glock® magazines. Ships with SR-Series Pistol and Security-9® magazine well installed and an additional magazine well accepting Glock® magazines is included. Ruger American Pistol® magazine well is available at ShopRuger.com.

Easy takedown enables quick separation of the barrel/forend assembly from the action for ease of transportation and storage. Takedown is as simple as locking the bolt back and verifying that the rifle is unloaded, pushing a recessed lever, twisting the subassemblies and pulling them apart.

Dead blow action features a custom tungsten dead blow weight that shortens bolt travel and reduces felt recoil and muzzle rise. Bolt is machined from heat treated, chrome-moly steel to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.

Reversible magazine release and reversible charging handle to support ambidextrous use or one-handed control manipulation while maintaining a proper firing grip.

Cold hammer-forged, chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The heavy contour barrel provides consistent accuracy, while barrel fluting sheds unnecessary weight and allows for quick handling.

1/2"-28 threaded barrel with included thread protector allows for use of standard muzzle accessories.

Accurate sighting system with adjustable ghost ring rear aperture sight and non-glare, protected blade front sight.

Soft rubber buttpad with spacers allows the rifle to be properly sized for different shooters or varying levels of outerwear or defensive gear (three, 1/2'' spacers included).

Durable, glass-filled nylon synthetic stock features sling swivel studs for rapid sling attachment and forward mounted accessory rail to allow for a variety of under-barrel accessories such as lights or lasers. The grip features a proprietary texture for enhanced control.

Light, crisp trigger pull with minimal overtravel and positive reset utilizing proven 10/22® trigger components.

CNC-milled from an aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum billet, the receiver includes an integrated Picatinny rail and is Type III hard-coat anodized for maximum durability.

Also includes: one, SR-Series pistol magazine and hex wrenches for rear sight adjustment, buttpad spacer adjustment and charging handle removal.

MSRP is $649.00
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

That's definitely on the purchase list.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Why would I trade my kel tec for this?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Quote Originally Posted by Knighttemplar View Post
    Did somebody ask you to?
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Kel-etc Sub2000 gen2 is better and much less money.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbine.htm

Ruger's NEW 9mm PC Carbine
    by Jeff Quinn
    photography by Jeff Quinn & Boge Quinn
    December 28th, 2017

PHOTOS at the link - Click pictures for a larger version.

The PC Carbine's charging handle is reversible for use on either side.

Muzzle is threaded 1/2x28 TPI for suppressors or muzzle brakes.

Bolt stop (top), magazine catch (center), crossbolt safety (bottom).

PC Carbine will run with both Ruger and Glock magazines.

Sixteen-inch fluted barrel.

Ruger has just introduced a new pistol-caliber carbine, called, cleverly enough, the PC Carbine, chambered for the 9x19mm (9mm Luger) cartridge. The new PC Carbine differs from the PC9 and PC4 carbines built by Ruger from 1996 to 2006. The new PC Carbine has several features that make it a better carbine than the previous ones. There was nothing wrong with the PC9 and PC4, but to me, the new PC Carbine is a better package.

One thing that Ruger chose to do with the new PC Carbine is to enable the weapon to use Glock and Glock-compatible 9mm magazines. This feature will endear the PC Carbine to many shooters, as the Glock magazines are both cheap and plentiful, while being reliable. There are lots of Glock magazines on the market, and I have found that even the Asian copies are very good. The thirty-three-round Asian mags are available online for under twenty bucks each. In addition to the Glock mags, the new PC Carbine will also accept Ruger SR9, Security-9, and Ruger American 9mm magazines. The carbine comes with the Ruger mag well in place, and is also furnished with a magazine well to run with the Glock magazines. Switching from one mag well to the other takes only a couple of minutes. To do so, remove the receiver from the stock be loosening two Allen-head screws (wrench furnished with the gun), press the magazine release, and lift the module from the stock. Pop in the other module, reinstall the receiver into the stock, and it is ready to run the other type magazine. Perfect.

The little PC Carbine handles very well, and is balanced for easy handling; the carbine weighs in at six pounds, ten ounces on my scales. The trigger pull is excellent, releasing crisply with about four ponds resistance. The reach to the trigger can be adjusted by either removing or adding spacers to the buttstock, between stock and recoil pad. Three spacers are furnished with the rifle. The barrel and forearm of the stock remove quickly and without tools for easy transport or storage, and go back together just as quickly. The stock is a black synthetic, and is well-textured on the forearm and pistol grip for a secure hold. The receiver and barrel are finished in a matte black, giving the little carbine a well-matched, black finish.

The sights on the PC carbine are very useful, and a good choice for a weapon of this type. The rear aperture is adjustable for both windage and elevation correction, with the front post protected by wings on both sides. The carbine has a multi-piece bolt assembly that attenuates recoil. The bolt carrier hits the receiver with half the total bolt mass and when it bounces back it bumps into the weight and they cancel much of each other's momentum. The felt recoil of this little weapon is almost nothing. Even using the +P loads from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap Ammunition, recoil is light. Also, the sixteen-inch fluted barrel provides muzzle velocities a couple of hundred fee-per-second (fps) faster than the velocities registered from pistol barrels. The 124 grain Buffalo Bore jacketed hollowpoint +P registered 1479 fps twelve feet from the muzzle. CCI Blazer Brass 124 grain FMJ clocked almost 1280 fps at the same distance.

The endearing qualities of a 9x19mm carbine include low recoil, low muzzle blast, and the ability for its user to put a lot of holes into a target quickly. With good +P hollowpoint ammunition, the 9mm from a carbine barrel are very effective on tissue. The Ruger PC Carbine is as easy to shoot, and easy to shoot well, much like their 10/22 carbine. The operation is very similar, with the charging handle and crossbolt safety being in the same locations. The bolt stop also works like the one on the 10/22, as does the take-down latch.

As mentioned earlier, the PC Carbine will run with either Ruger magazines, or Glock-pattern magazines, so I fired the carbine with both types. Starting out with the supplied seventeen-round Ruger mag, I loaded it to capacity with CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain full metal jacket (FMJ) ammo, and proceeded to fire on steel targets from seven out to one-hundred yards. A note on loading the magazines; like most double-stack 9mm magazines, I greatly appreciate using the UpLULA mag loader to assist in the loading process. There are other useful magazine loaders on the market, but I have found none as good as the UpLULA. It works, and makes getting those last couple of cartridges into the mag much easier. Right out of the box, the PC Carbine ran flawlessly. Every cartridge fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. Switching to high-performance hollowpoint ammunition from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap, the PC Carbine continued to run without fail. Recoil was mild, even with the +P ammunition, and again, the weapon ran perfectly. Switching out to the Glock mag well, I loaded a thirty-three round Glock magazine, again with the CCI FMJ ammo, which ran flawlessly, with two exceptions: I had one failure-to-feed early on, and one failure-to-eject a few magazines later. Other than those two incidents, the PC Carbine ran smoothly with every other cartridge tried. Even the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator ammo, which will sometimes hang up while feeding. ran perfectly in the Ruger PC Carbine.

While the mechanical sights on this PC Carbine work very well, for accuracy testing, I mounted a Leupold Mark 6 target scope, to evaluate the accuracy potential of the rifle. The PC Carbine has a section of Picatinny rail integral with the top of the receiver, so mounting the Leupold was quick and easy. I fired five-shot groups at fifty yards for accuracy, and the PC Carbine shot much better than expected. Every group fired, with every type of ammo tested, grouped five shots into less than one inch, every time. The Buffalo Bore 125 grain +P load grouped into half of that, every time. This little PC Carbine is accurate! It is certainly plenty accurate for hunting medium game and predators, as well as for social work, if needed. For a handy little carbine to keep in the truck, jeep, tractor, or ATV, the little Ruger is an excellent choice. With an overall length of thirty-five inches with one spacer in place, the carbine handles easily. It takes down quickly for storage if space is limited, or for transport in a gym bag or other small case. Separated into its two sections, the longest of which is only about twenty inches, the PC Carbine takes up little space, yet assembles for use in under five seconds. Most-importantly, it doesn’t look as if you are transporting a rifle.

As of its introduction, the Ruger PC Carbine retails for $649.00 US, but some judicious shopping should yield a "street price" somewhere around the $500.00 mark; this represents a great value for a high-quality carbine such as the PC Carbine.
    The 9mm Ruger PC Carbine is a good choice when one wants something with more power than a 9mm pistol, but much easier to shoot and handle than a full-powered rifle. The Ruger PC Carbine is light, handy, powerful and accurate, and like all Ruger firearms, the PC carbine is made in the USA.

much less money.

All I got so far is the MSRP. Not in stock at Bud's yet.....

I missed out on the Ruger PC9 they used to have. It took the Ruger P95 magazines.

I guess this new offering is a nod to the popularity of Glocks. They also offer a model that uses another Ruger proprietary magazine - for the Ruger American Pistol maybe?

I’ll stick with my kel tec gen 2 with optic at 45 and a dozen ets mags. The mags fit my carry pistol to keep everything legal so I can keep them loaded where my permit is honored. They are about 10 years too late.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

I have a Kel-Tec. I also have a rugged 10-22 take down. The quality of the latter exceeds that of the former. Then there is the ability to switch from Ruger to Glock mag wells with yet another mag well available. That is the kill shot for me. The base engineering that allows such a switch between the rake angles of a Glock vs Ruger magazine tells me a mag well for any 9mm pistol on the market could be made.

That last part makes it worth having over the other 9mm carbine offerings.

I Love The Name: “PC-Carbine” and the exact trend I called a while back in ‘The Failing Remington Company’ thread about a month or so ago.

I predict good sales in Kalifornia.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    I missed out on the Ruger PC9 they used to have. It took the Ruger P95 magazines.

I guess this new offering is a nod to the popularity of Glocks. They also offer a model that uses another Ruger proprietary magazine - for the Ruger American Pistol maybe?
    More likely the popularity and reliability of the factory 33rd glock mag for the Glock 18 which is the machine-pistol version of the famous Glock 17 9mm pistol.
    They've been available for many years and, in my opinion, one of the reasons the kel-tec sub2000 setup for glock mags was/is the most popular and most-sought model.

My Sub2000 is .40 cal in Glock. I have five 31 rd aftermarket stick mags. I’ve proofed all of them at the range without a single jam. I’m happy as can be. But I did install the M-Carbo trigger spring kit and an aftermarket trigger, as well as a rubber cheekpiece on the buffer tube. Again, I’m REAL happy. No trigger creep and break weight on the trigger is about 4 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    much less money.

All I got so far is the MSRP. Not in stock at Bud's yet.....

There are a couple of places taking orders in the low $500's price range.

That's the big plus with this carbine, the ability to share existing mags. That's the BIGGEST thing that pisses me off every time I buy a new piece of "hardware", having to inventory more, different mags. Being able to use mags I already have is a big plus.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

You don't gain much with a 9mm carbine. Now, in 10mm with a folding stock...that would just dandy!

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe's Daddy View Post
    You don't gain much with a 9mm carbine. Now, in 10mm with a folding stock...that would just dandy!
    Over my 17s;
    My Chrono says + 150 fps 115gn WWB, + 175 fps 124gn pdx-1, and 240 fps Federal +p+ HP LE.

10mm full charge would be nice, but there are not many pistols in it. The 40 cal would be ok, but it'd be just another caliber to feed. I would like to see a .45acp version as I have a stock of the Korean after market 25rd mags.
    Which btw I was able to get on the cheap given they'd bust the end plate off if they hit the ground out of the box. It was nothing I couldn't fix with an ultrasonic polymer weld rig. Granted I can't take the plates off now for cleaning or spring replacement, but at the price I got them at, I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A.B. View Post
    I Love The Name: “PC-Carbine” and the exact trend I called a while back in ‘The Failing Remington Company’ thread about a month or so ago.

I predict good sales in Kalifornia.

PC stands for pistol caliber

Me want! Soon baby...
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Shooting the NEW Ruger 9mm PC Carbine - Gunblast.com
    Run time (10:16)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmb4AIl2sM

Gunblastdotcom

Published on Dec 28, 2017

Subscribe 169K
    FOR MORE INFO: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbi...

Jeff Quinn ( http://www.gunblast.com ) tests the NEW Ruger 9mm PC Carbine.

The 9mm Ruger PC Carbine is a good choice when one wants something with more power than a 9mm pistol, but much easier to shoot and handle than a full-powered rifle. The Ruger PC Carbine is light, handy, powerful and accurate, and like all Ruger firearms, the PC carbine is made in the USA.

Check out the extensive line of Ruger firearms and accessories online at
    http://www.ruger.com.

To order the new PC Carbine online, click on the GUN GENIE at
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/?WT.mc_i....

To find a Ruger dealer near you, click on the DEALER FINDER at http://www.lipseys.com.

To order quality 9mm ammunition, go to
    https://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/9...,
    http://www.buffalobore.com,
    http://www.doubletapammo.com, and
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com.

Category
    Entertainment
    License
    Standard YouTube License
    Show less

467 Comments

No as cool as a keltec. doesn't fold or look as cool.

No folding or adjustable stock also? Forward pistol grip or multiple rails?

Major fail. Fire this design guy please. Looks like the 10/22 that came out in the 60s(?)

For anything over $500, I'd just get an AR. Pistol ar would be as short as this thing broke down. The beauty of the keltec is the FOLD. stays together and assembly is 1 second. This thing is built on a survival rifle platform:-P Booo.

eta, and a right handed safety.. lololol. failblogdotcom!
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Why would you think it's either/or?

For links and images see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rity-9-pistol/

Tested: Ruger’s PC Carbine and Security-9 Pistol

by Brian C. Sheetz & B. Gil Horman - Tuesday, January 2, 2018

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...preset=article

During the latter part of the 19th century, it was not uncommon for cowboys to pack both a single-action revolver and a lever-action carbine—each chambered for the same ammunition. Back then, that typically meant a rimmed cartridge such as .44-40 Win. carried on gun belts and bandoleers. It was an eminently sensible system by virtue of the fact that it simplified the user’s ammunition supply.

Nearly 150 years later, the concept still makes a lot of sense, depending on the circumstances, especially since most defensive firearms now feed from convenient detachable-box magazines. That development alone has simultaneously revolutionized the carriage of extra ammunition and the quick reloading of firearms. Previously, fine motor skills and ingrained muscle memory were required to successfully pluck those rimmed cartridges singly from their leather loops and shove them, one by one, into chambers or tubular magazines—often while under pressure. And while it’s true that some 21st century shooters still enjoy the nostalgia such guns recall—a point not lost on Ruger, which still offers many single-action revolver models—most of today’s buyers are more interested in modern guns designed for personal defense. That is a point of which the company is also keenly aware.

Two such models that exemplify that conviction are entirely new designs, yet were somewhat informed by ground the company plowed in the not-too-distant past. The first is a pistol-caliber, semi-automatic long gun chambered in 9 mm Luger and appropriately labeled as the PC Carbine, and the second is a like-chambered compact, semi-automatic pistol called the Security-9. Both names are evocative of past Rugers that enjoyed success among scores of shooters. One, the Ruger Police Carbine (February 1997, p. 40.), was chambered in either 9 mm Luger or .40 S&W and shared magazines with like-chambered pistols from the firm’s original P Series. The other, the Security-Six revolver (January 1985, p. 26), was also, coincidentally, manufactured in 9 mm Luger using full-moon clips, although the bulk of its production was in .38 Spl. and .357 Mag.

But as with all families, any similarity in name is often more than made up for by a disparity in traits. And so it is with the latest Rugers. Whereas the former Police Carbine was compatible only with magazines from the company’s sole line of extant center-fire pistols, the new PC Carbine accepts magazines from three current Ruger pistol lines: the SR Series and Security-9—which, curiously, are not interchangeable between their host pistols—and the American. Even more compelling, the PC Carbine is also capable of being fed from the now-ubiquitous Glock-pattern magazine. And since the new Security-9 pistol is, of course, fed from a detachable-box magazine (in its case, one holding 15 rounds), it allows for quicker reloads than any revolver—even one using moon clips.

What the two newest Rugers really share, though, is the company’s strength of bringing together the latest in manufacturing technology, features and design to optimize firearms for their intended purposes—in these cases, keeping law-abiding armed citizens safe from the deadly threats inherent to modern life. Whether its engineers accomplished their specific goals in designing and building the PC Carbine and Security-9 should become clear after careful consideration of the separate reviews that follow.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...53/trusty2.jpg
    The Ruger PC Carbine
    By Brian C. Sheetz, Senior Executive Editor

The pistol-caliber carbine concept seems either to attract or repel depending on how those considering it perceive such a gun’s role. Detractors question why someone would want an arm with the bulk and weight of a rifle but possessed of only a pistol’s power. Looking at it from the opposite position, however, supporters suggest that such a carbine’s longer barrel enhances the velocity, and, thus, energy and lethality of most handgun cartridges. Also, being a shoulder-mounted arm with diminished recoil compared to true rifles, and having a longer sight radius than a pistol—not to mention accommodations for red-dot or magnified optics—make it far easier for most shooters to score hits with than any handgun. Its lesser recoil also increases its ability to make accurate repeat shots rapidly—all of which makes it potentially easier to master by a greater range of users. In any case, it’s probably best to see the pistol-caliber carbine not as a rifle replacement, but as a pistol force-multiplier.

Ruger’s latest take on the concept, the PC Carbine, wisely applies several notable improvements to the company’s previous effort. For one, the PC’s method of operation, like its predecessor, is fundamentally a blowback design, though the mechanism is much improved and greatly simplified. In addition, the PC borrows from Ruger’s phenomenally successful Model 10/22 semi-automatic rimfire carbine not only in some aspects of its general layout, and even in a few specific trigger group components, but, most notably, in its mimicking of the Takedown version’s ability to be quickly and easily separated into two compact sections. Perhaps most importantly, in terms of its market appeal, the PC, with a simple swapping out of magazine well inserts, can be quickly converted to accept Glock-pattern 9 mm Luger magazines, including that company’s own 33-round example originally developed for the G18 machine pistol. Finally, as with its companion pistol reviewed below, the PC Carbine is priced to attract—essential in an era of $450 AR-type rifles—with a suggested retail of $649 that is likely to translate to over-the-counter figures in the high $400s.

The gun is not as high-tech in appearance as most other currently offered pistol-caliber carbines, which tend to be based either on unique designs or on adaptations of the AR. Its buttstock and fore-end are molded from 33 percent glass-filled nylon into a fusion of traditional and modern lines. The butt is capped with a rubber recoil pad and spacer system borrowed from the company’s Gunsite Scout Rifle. It has a molded-in sling swivel stud and stippling in panels on either side of the pistol grip, which also features slight palm swells. Further, the buttstock forms the magazine well, which houses a large, serrated, metal magazine release button that can be installed on either side. Internally, the release engages Ruger magazines at a rectangular cutout in the front center of their bodies. Two action screws secure the receiver to the stock. They pass through imbedded brass inserts that prevent their falling free when the receiver is removed.

Once the receiver is free, either of the Ruger magazine well inserts, one of which is marked on its mouth “SR9 S9” and the other “RA9,” or the Glock magazine insert, marked “G9”, can be dropped into place within the magazine well as the magazine release is pressed. As the receiver is reinserted into the buttstock, and the action screws tightened to 65 in.-lbs., the insert is clamped firmly in position. It’s worth noting here that Ruger advises that some Magpul Glock-pattern magazines may not function reliably with the PC Carbine. Factory Glock magazines, however, have been found to function well, as have some other aftermarket offerings, including 50- and 100-round drum designs.

The gun is taken down for transport or storage in identical manner to that of the 10/22 Takedown. A recess in the lower front of the buttstock guides the thumb into position to retract a downward-protruding pin in the fore-end assembly. That allows the fore-end to be twisted and the barrel pulled free of the receiver. The buttstock and fore-end assemblies measure 193/4" and 165⁄16" in overall length, respectively, and the latter, which also has panels of stippling on its sides, has a molded-in section of accessory rail for the attachment of a light or laser at its lower front just ahead of a metal QD sling stud.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...57/trusty6.jpg
    The new PC Carbine disassembles into basic subassemblies by way of three captive screws. The bolt assembly is pictured in detail (inset, above r.) to show its head and tungsten dead-blow weight (arrow). Inserts for Glock and Ruger magazines (above l.) simply drop in.

At first glance, the PC Carbine’s receiver, bolt assembly and trigger group appear similar to those used in the 10/22. The PC’s receiver is machined from aluminum bar stock and is closed at the rear while its bottom and front are open. It is finished in a flat-black hard-anodized treatment. An integrally machined, 61/2"-long, 16-slot section of Picatinny rail runs along the receiver’s top surface, and machined openings in its sides include an ejection port on the right and keyways on the right and left for the bolt carrier’s hollow charging handle, which can be swapped by way of a single screw running through its center. Two sets of holes through each side of the receiver at its rear act as attachment points for pins that secure the polymer fire-control housing, which contains a crossbolt safety in the trigger guard’s front and a blade-type bolt catch immediately in front of the trigger guard that is pressed upward to hold the bolt to the rear. Finally, a steel barrel block is attached by way of machine screws at the receiver’s front. It features the recesses that accept a set of lugs machined onto the barrel’s breech end when the barrel assembly is turned into place during assembly. (There is also a knurled ring that can be adjusted to ensure the joint assembles without excess play.)

A bolt carrier measuring approximately 1.125" square by 4.5" inches in length rides below a guide rod and a “bolt top” keyed to the bolt. While fundamentally a blowback, the gun’s design also relies on a separate so-called dead-blow weight, mimicking the function of a like-named hammer. The weight measures 0.750" square by 1.875" in length and is metal-injection-molded from tungsten—an elemental metal with a density 1.7 times that of lead. According to Ruger engineers, the weight accounts for nearly half of the bolt assembly’s mass, which keeps its overall size reasonable yet still allows the mechanism to counteract the recoil of even 9 mm Luger +P cartridges. The weight rests in a pocket machined into the bolt carrier that allows about 0.025" of play fore and aft, and, in operation, comes to rest a split second after the carrier, retarding the carrier’s velocity somewhat as it changes direction. That helps prevent the “bolt bounce” effect often associated with such guns, which can result in receiver battering and a lack of reliability. It also softens the blow of the carrier against the receiver somewhat, even though that task is primarily handled by a elastomer buffer attached to the rear of the recoil spring assembly.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...58/trusty7.jpg
    As with the 10/22 Takedown, the PC Carbine’s barrel can be rotated out of engagement with its receiver by pressing forward on a lever that withdraws a tapered lock pin. The knurled ring can be adjusted to eliminate excess play from the mechanism.

The PC Carbine’s 16 5⁄16" barrel is tapered and fluted, which helps to keep the gun’s weight centered between the hands, making it less muzzle-heavy than its predecessor, which housed a slide assembly and counterweight in its fore-end. The muzzle is threaded 1/2"x28 TPI. and capped with a polymer O-ring and knurled steel thread protector. Steel sights—a fully adjustable ghost-ring rear and a wing-protected blade front—are secured to the barrel with screws and provide a sight picture similar to that of the U.S. M14 and M1 Garand rifles. Future plans call for an optic plate that would replace the rear sight assembly to allow mounting of a reflex sight directly to the barrel.

At 6 lbs., 10 ozs., the PC Carbine has a substantial feel, but its weight is centered between the hands, and the gun comes to the shoulder readily—its iron sights aligning well with the eye when the stock meets the shooter’s face. Beyond resulting in better balance, the new carbine’s design facilitates the take-down configuration since the action’s moving parts are confined to the buttstock assembly.
    A recent Ruger-sponsored media event at Gunsite Academy in Paulden, Ariz., provided ample opportunity for about a dozen writers to put a sampling of the new carbines through their paces. In the course of running several thousand rounds through the guns in exercises designed to simulate dynamic engagements, the PC Carbine proved its mettle, with all the guns exhibiting excellent reliability and commendable accuracy.

Back at NRA Headquarters, other editors were favorably impressed with the gun’s handling qualities. Accuracy results, as tabulated in the accompanying table, were achieved using a Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4X 24 mm scope set at 4X. Comparing velocity and energy figures of the Hornady Critical Defense Lite 100-gr. FTX load fired from the PC Carbine with corresponding results from the Security-9 pistol (p. 76), demonstrate that, on average, the PC Carbine’s longer barrel added 221 f.p.s. and 117 ft.-lbs. of energy at the muzzle—a 17 percent increase in velocity and a 31 percent increase in energy. In addition, the new NovX 65-gr. polymer matrix load in the PC Carbine achieved 2031 f.p.s. and 595 ft.-lbs. of energy—a 36 percent increase in velocity and a 37 percent increase in energy compared to the Hornady load.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...56/trusty5.jpg

For anyone who concedes that the pistol-caliber carbine concept is valid and who can envision how one might complement a personal inventory of firearms, Ruger’s PC Carbine must be acknowledged as one of the better modern examples. Its take-down feature and multi-magazine adaptability provide a utility that every modern-day armed citizen should at least consider as he or she traverses the 21st century frontier.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...52/trusty1.jpg

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...54/trusty3.jpg

The Ruger Security-9 Pistol
    By B. Gil Horman, Field Editor

During the last few years, Ruger has kept its 9 mm Luger semi-automatic pistol fans well armed with the double-stack American and American Compact, designed for uniformed users and protection-minded citizens, and the svelte single-stack LC9s for daily concealed carry. As popular as these two options have been, Ruger recognized that an intermediate option that splits the difference between these two was missing from the lineup.

Ruger’s new Security-9, a compact, polymer-frame, double-stack 9 mm Luger intended primarily for civilian applications, including every-day carry, home defense, target shooting and casual plinking. It weighs nearly 7 ozs. less than the American, while providing double the ammunition capacity of the LC9s. The suggested retail price of $379 is likely to translate into real-world prices closer to $300.

The new Security-9 pistol takes its design cues, inside and out, from the pocket-size LCP II .380 ACP. Imagine an LCP II on steroids, and you’ll have the right idea. This pistol is a pre-cocked, hammer-fired double-action with a passive trigger safety and Browning-type, tilting-barrel lock-up. The recessed hammer, much like the strikers in striker-fired models, is cocked most of the way back by the rearward motion of the slide. Depressing the trigger completes the hammer’s cocking cycle to fire the gun.

The dovetailed polymer sight system consists of a white-dot blade in front and a low-profile, white-outline rear notch unit that is secured by a screw. Both are drift-adjustable for windage. The blued, through-hardened carbon steel slide is milled with angled front and rear cocking serrations. The muzzle end and top edges are cut with angular bevels, while the back of the slide has a rounded, no-snag profile. The enlarged ejection port sports a heavy duty extractor claw.

The blued 4" barrel is cut with traditional land-and-groove rifling with a witness hole located at the top rear of the barrel hood for the purpose of confirming whether a round is in the chamber. The recoil assembly consists of a flat-wire spring captured on a steel guide rod.

Removing the slide reveals a one-piece machined and hard-anodized aluminum chassis pinned within the polymer grip frame and secured to the frame by two polymer pins. Much like the lower receiver of an AR-15 rifle, the Security-9’s chassis is the serialized receiver proper. The number is visible through a window molded into the right side of the frame. The chassis houses most of the moving parts, including the fire-control system and external controls to prevent wear and tear on the polymer frame. Its 4.15"-long slide rails provide greater support for the slide assembly than the small steel inserts used in other designs.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...62/trusty9.jpg
    The Security-9 fieldstrips into a few subassemblies by way of a removable barrel link pin (r., arrow). The serialized receiver module, shown removed from the polymer frame for illustrative purposes (above r.), is pinned in place and is not intended to be user-serviceable.

The take-down pin, slide stop, thumb safety and magazine release are all on the left side of the frame. Each has been minimized for comfortable concealed carry. The small slide lock is protected by fencing molded into the frame. It is exceptionally tight when engaging the slide and, therefore, not a practical option for releasing the slide from the locked-open position. It’s a much simpler proposition to pull back on the slide to release it.

The thumb safety is by far the smallest I’ve seen on a pistol in this size class. Nevertheless, it’s relatively easy to manually locate and press down into the “fire” position. The steel magazine release is smooth-faced and diminutive in size, but remains easy to find and operate. It allows the magazines to drop free of the magazine well when depressed.

The black polymer frame is constructed of a durable, long-fiber, glass-reinforced nylon that has proven to be a reliable material in other Ruger models. The dustcover is molded with a 1.5"-long, four-slot accessory rail. The generous, squared-off trigger guard has a textured finger rest along the front edge and an overtravel stop for the trigger. It has been undercut where it meets the grip frame for added comfort.

Grip frame indentations, located behind the trigger housing, provide easier access to the trigger and magazine release. The frontstrap, sides and backstrap of the grip have a molded-in, semi-coarse texturing that mimics skateboard tape without being as abrasive. This texturing provides positive purchase but does not require gloves for long shooting sessions. The base of the backstrap has a short extension that protects the shooting hand from being pinched by the magazine baseplate.

The smooth-faced polymer trigger is listed as having a pull weight of 6 lbs. The pistol I tested exhibited a 5-lb., 5-oz. pull with a bit of take-up before a fairly clean break. The trigger reset is short, with an audible and tangible click. The trigger pull has a shorter, smoother and lighter feel than those found on many of the striker-fired pistols I have used that incorporate passive trigger safeties.

The blued-steel, 15-round magazines are proprietary to the Security-9 pistol. They are not interchangeable with magazines from the company’s other platforms because of differences in feed angles. Manufactured by Ruger here in the United States, the magazines are fitted with polymer followers and baseplates, the latter being textured along the sides to match a pair of textured indentations located on either side of the magazine well. This allows the magazine base to be firmly gripped and stripped out of the gun in case of a malfunction.

A good deal of engineering effort has gone into designing a pre-cocked hammer ignition system for this pistol that provides a smooth trigger pull while operating in a safe and reliable manner. The thumb safety has two functions when set in the “safe” position: It blocks the rotation of the sear, to keep it in firm contact with the hammer, and it blocks the movement of the hammer.

The geometry of the hammer and sear were designed with a significant degree of engagement for a positive lockup when the safety is set in the “fire” position. The sear has a neutral balance while under strong spring tension. This works to prevent disengagement if the pistol is dropped. In the unlikely event that the pistol should receive a significant enough physical shock to disengage the partially cocked hammer from the sear, a hammer catch acts to prevent the hammer from moving into contact with the firing pin unless the trigger is fully depressed.

The trigger’s inner safety lever is another component that works to prevent unintentional discharges. It also acts as an inertial block. Lastly, a lightweight titanium firing pin is paired with a strong return spring. The lighter pin requires a blow from the hammer to move forward with enough force to fire a chambered cartridge. Dropping the gun on a hard surface does not provide enough directed energy to move the firing pin. The Security-9 does not have a magazine disconnect safety and will fire if the trigger is pressed while the magazine is removed.

Fieldstripping the Security-9 is a simple process that does not require the trigger to be cycled, though a tool is required. Begin by removing the magazine and verifying the chamber is empty. From the closed position, push the slide back about 1/16" to align the notch in the slide with the takedown pin. Using the rim of a spent 9 mm case, or similar tool, gently pry the takedown pin out the frame. Press the slide forward off the frame and then lift the barrel and recoil-spring assembly out of the slide. The pistol is now ready to clean.

The Security-9 is safety-rated for all SAAMI specification ammunition, including +P loads. However, a steady diet of +P ammunition is going to cause the pistol to wear out much more quickly than standard-pressure ammunition. If you plan to shoot with +P loads most of the time, then the folks at Ruger recommend purchasing a duty-grade American Pistol instead. If you plan to practice with +P loads occasionally and carry them for personal protection, then the Security-9 will do nicely. This gun should not be loaded with +P+ ammunition at any time.

Overall, the Security-9 offers an impressive, well-balanced package of features for a pistol at this price point. At the shooting range, it ran reliably with all of the ammunition tested without any failures. The fit and finish are on par with more expensive polymer-frame Ruger pistols. The pistol feels light and well-balanced in the hand, all the controls worked properly, the slide cycles smoothly, and the sights are easy to see. Like other lightweight 9 mm pistols, the Security-9 can produce a snappy level of felt recoil with some loads. Nonetheless, the grip is just the right size to properly manage the diverse selection of 9 mm loads available.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...59/trusty8.jpg

This pistol arrives ready to serve as a first-time gun purchase, a comfortable daily carry gun and as an affordable trunk or camp gun that won’t cause bitter tears to be shed if it picks up a scratch or two along the way. And Ruger already offers a wide variety of high-quality holsters, magazine pouches and sight upgrades for it at the shopruger.com website.

https://assets.americanrifleman.org/...55/trusty4.jpg
    Last edited by Housecarl; 01-03-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added images from article..on different machine need to check settings on my regular one that's being a problem with this

Exactly!
    "Be Prepared" - Boy Scouts Motto
    "And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus Christ, Mk 13:37
    "Don't worry, be happy" - Bobby Mcferrin
    "Take a chill pill" - Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Exactly!
    Y'all must only own one gun? Bummer.........

No like.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    Y'all must only own one gun? Bummer.........
    Each of my guns has a specific niche that it fills. The one in the OP wouldn’t fill a niche that I need filled.

I wonder how the recoil compares to a keltec sub2000? Both seem to use a simple blow-back design which is fine except for the level and sharpness of recoil generated from "only" a 9mm pistol round.

A lightweight AR-15 in 223 kicks much less than the sub2000 in 9mm. However, they don't pay gunwriters to point out those kind of details especially when trying to sell pistol caliber carbines.

If you put that rubber sleeve on the Sub2000's buffer tube, that recoil sharpness is almost entirely mitigated. But remember how lightweight the Sub2000 is compared to an AR pattern rifle. Naturally that's why it smacks you the way it does.

I would get one when it comes out in .40. I like Ruger.

It looked interesting to me, but the main reason for posting is that it is NEW. We need to keep up with developments, like 'em or not.

I started shopping through various 9mm carbines over a decade ago when my mom decided her cut down 20 ga. double was too much for her in the recoil department. So after some consideration of what was available without spending more money, I elected to try the field of 9mm carbines as available at the time.

HiPoint - useful and manageable but too small magazine capacity.

KelTec Sub2000 - adequate magazine capacity but not manageable for an 80 YO

Beretta Storm CX4 - worked on all counts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WtkuVzbgD98 Hickok45, 19:40

There were 9mm ARs but since she had difficulty managing a .223 AR, that platform was eliminated early.

There are obviously more options now, but that was then.

Pistol caliber carbines have their place in certain circumstances. I'm prone to like the new Ruger offering, I've wished for a 9mm 10-22 for years and it looks like this is close. I do wish the rear sight was at the back of the receiver rail however, but its placement may have something to do with the takedown capability.

Willing to give this one some time - not gonna rush right out and buy one, but we will see how it goes.
    Last edited by Dozdoats; 01-03-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: video link added

I would like Ruger to come out with a semi-auto carbine in .357mag. That I would be interested in buying.

It's a bear to get rimmed cartridges to feed in a semiauto.

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showth...Mag-conversion
    Thread: M1Carbine to .357Mag conversion

My health is such that I could no longer carry any of my long guns. Today, talked with my gunsmith, and he's got a 5.56 NATO AR that's 1/2 pound lighter than the Ruger PC. Too, it'll have a Trijicon SRS02, flip-up backup iron sights, and be setup for suppressor, which I'll order soonest- dependent upon the infernal wait, of course... Larry Vickers Blue Force Gear sling, and 13 30rd 3rd Gen Magpul mags. Should be dirt simple, like me, and able to get me from point A to B... Golly, but I love it when a gunsmith plays around... He's a 3 Gun competitor too, so he knows his stuff... Yeah, I will always have my two Sig P226 TACOPS, but needed something good enough to engage out to 600yds or so...

Hell, I'm too old to switch from ARs now...

GBY&Y's

Maranatha

OldARcher
    "Make haste- slowly." -Marshall Wyatt Earp============ "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." -Kyle Swanson, US Navy SEAL

Proud Founding Member of the Nowski Brigade

Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS!

It looked interesting to me, but the main reason for posting is that it is NEW. We need to keep up with developments, like 'em or not.

I started shopping through various 9mm carbines over a decade ago when my mom decided her cut down 20 ga. double was too much for her in the recoil department. So after some consideration of what was available without spending more money, I elected to try the field of 9mm carbines as available at the time.

HiPoint - useful and manageable but too small magazine capacity.

KelTec Sub2000 - adequate magazine capacity but not manageable for an 80 YO

Beretta Storm CX4 - worked on all counts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WtkuVzbgD98 Hickok45, 19:40

There were 9mm ARs but since she had difficulty managing a .223 AR, that platform was eliminated early.

There are obviously more options now, but that was then.

Pistol caliber carbines have their place in certain circumstances. I'm prone to like the new Ruger offering, I've wished for a 9mm 10-22 for years and it looks like this is close. I do wish the rear sight was at the back of the receiver rail however, but its placement may have something to do with the takedown capability.

Willing to give this one some time - not gonna rush right out and buy one, but we will see how it goes.
    Why not try some lighter handloads in your mom's 20 dbl? If that would still be too much for her, something in .22wmr might be adequate and easy to handle. Neighbor has a revolver in .22 wmr, and is very happy with it. Hasn't been in a gunfight with it, though.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

It's a bear to get rimmed cartridges to feed in a semiauto.

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showth...Mag-conversion
    Thread: M1Carbine to .357Mag conversion
    should feed okay from a tubular mag, IMO. No fast reloads, though. But why convert to .357? There's no significant ballistic advantage.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    Over my 17s;
    My Chrono says + 150 fps 115gn WWB, + 175 fps 124gn pdx-1, and 240 fps Federal +p+ HP LE.

10mm full charge would be nice, but there are not many pistols in it. The 40 cal would be ok, but it'd be just another caliber to feed. I would like to see a .45acp version as I have a stock of the Korean after market 25rd mags.
    Which btw I was able to get on the cheap given they'd bust the end plate off if they hit the ground out of the box. It was nothing I couldn't fix with an ultrasonic polymer weld rig. Granted I can't take the plates off now for cleaning or spring replacement, but at the price I got them at, I don't really care.
    An issue with the 10mm is it is to high pressure to do as a blow back, it can blow up. It needs a locking bolt. I made a run of AR's in .45 ACP with a DI gas system and locking bolt, then made one in 10mm. It ran great but a buddy involved in the project kept it. My lower that uses the .45 Glock mag is a very slight mod to use the model 20 Glock 10mm mags.

The 10mm is one of my all time favorite calibers, 357 power in an auto and can use super heavy hard cast buffalo bullets for deep penetration in bears and dangerous game.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    I wonder how the recoil compares to a keltec sub2000? Both seem to use a simple blow-back design which is fine except for the level and sharpness of recoil generated from "only" a 9mm pistol round.

A lightweight AR-15 in 223 kicks much less than the sub2000 in 9mm. However, they don't pay gunwriters to point out those kind of details especially when trying to sell pistol caliber carbines.
    Wait until next year for something super cool in 9mm AR. A buddy of mine has perfected a gas piston operated, locking bolt 9mm AR that has the recoil of a .22. Since it is not blow back it does not have that heavy reciprocating bolt assembly that all blow back 9mm use to keep the casing from blowing the head. As a matter of fact, it can use lightened bolt carriers for hardly any recip mass. He has applied for about four patents for completely unique things he did to make it work flawlessly.

He will be introducing it at SHOT this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    An issue with the 10mm is it is to high pressure to do as a blow back, it can blow up. It needs a locking bolt. I made a run of AR's in .45 ACP with a DI gas system and locking bolt, then made one in 10mm. It ran great but a buddy involved in the project kept it. My lower that uses the .45 Glock mag is a very slight mod to use the model 20 Glock 10mm mags.

The 10mm is one of my all time favorite calibers, 357 power in an auto and can use super heavy hard cast buffalo bullets for deep penetration in bears and dangerous game.
    Had a colt in 10mm, cracked the frame, end of pistol. I have a Glock 20, 7k rounds later I've had no problems with it. The 9mm carbine pushes it into low to mid range. 357 energy via the increased velocity. A 10mm version would push energy into 41 mag, and low side .44 mag range.

I'm long on 9mm and .45acp, so at this point in time, I can't justify the cost and time. Hindsight is 20/20.