Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP There's an ugly, unavoidable reckoning building (Ol' Remus) Short. To the point.
+ Reply to Thread

There's an ugly, unavoidable reckoning building (Ol' Remus) Short. To the point.

http://www.woodpilereport.com/html/index-510.htm

And scroll down - while you Read The Whole Thing.

There's an ugly, unavoidable reckoning building. The cynic in me says however remote you are, or self-sufficient you are, however well-appointed your hidey-hole, however much ammo you have, however deep your deep larder, however much training and comms and meds you have, it probably ain't enough for what's coming.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Content is required please.

That WAS the content I intended.

BUT you're the boss. And it's your bandwidth.
    ==============================================
    Photos and external linkage at the original site. Link to original site is at the OP.
    -------------------------------------

Yer Ol' Woodpile Report

2 Jan 2018

In the first part of his career, Parrish's illustrations were of medieval fantasies, Arabic themes, fairy tales, classic mythology, Mother Goose and children's poems. In 1910, when he was forty years old, his income was two and a quarter million dollars, in today's terms. Reveries is typical of his late phase illustrations, Art Nouveau-ish, like Mucha except 3D.

In the early 1920s he turned from illustration to full-on painting. One of the first was his 1922 work, Daybreak, the most popular print of the twentieth century, said to be in one of every four homes in America. I have a 1923 print for reference and I gotta tell you, the on-line versions are little better than vandalism. The link takes you to the best one I could find and it drops 'most every color but blue.

In the mid 1930s Parrish abandoned his artisan-bread-and-butter commercial work and turned to his real love, pure landscape. He was active almost until his death in 1966 at age 95. My opinion, his best work, but 'best' in terms of the genre's personal appeal rather than quality.

Some years ago I attended a Parrish exhibit in Philadelphia. It's a cliche, but even art books of the highest standards don't adequately convey a large part of their elegance. I've haunted galleries and museums my whole life but I was surprised by their jewel-like appearance.
    Incidentally, Parrish's hobby room was a machine shop, big stuff like you'd find in industry. A vertical mill, big lathe, that kind of thing. He said he was really a mechanic who liked to paint. A guy you could get to like.

This removes all doubt where the "hate speech is not protected" movement is going. California has eviscerated the second amendment, now the first amendment is going down fast. The bad news is, this is just a symptom, one of many. These people are serious about criminalizing our existence and are going from success to success.

Reason - California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page ... would equally criminalize insulting posts on a NRA page, or on a pro-Trump organization's page, or on a Communist Party page

There's an ugly, unavoidable reckoning building. The cynic in me says however remote you are, or self-sufficient you are, however well-appointed your hidey-hole, however much ammo you have, however deep your deep larder, however much training and comms and meds you have, it probably ain't enough for what's coming.

Next
    Rep. Sheila Lee is a particularly unpleasant and perpetually aggrieved harpy known for her jaw-dropping ignorance—"homicide is the leading cause of murder"—who imagines recycled rhetoric from the 1970s makes her a champion of the oppressed. What it really makes her is a museum piece yet to be stuffed and displayed as a cautionary tale of regrettable missteps in our national history.

She once told a staffer, "You don’t understand. I am a queen, and I demand to be treated like a queen." They do, but even away from the fawning, servile opportunists in DC she can't help but reveal herself for the abusive moron she is. So Lee was in the news. Again. And that's never good.

United Airlines gave Rep. Lee a first class seat reserved by a school teacher and "human rights activist" named Jean-Marie Simon. Yes, Poe-like comeuppance. Ms. Simon was bumped to economy and bribed to not make a fuss. But she made a fuss. When all this was reported in the media, Rep. Lee informed us it was she who was the victim. Well of course she was, she's never not the victim. To wit:

Since this was not any fault of mine, the way the individual continued to act appeared to be, upon reflection, because I was an African American woman, seemingly an easy target along with the African American flight attendant who was very, very nice.

This saddens me, especially at this time of year given all of the things we have to work on to help people. But in the spirit of this season and out of the sincerity of my heart, if it is perceived that I had anything to do with this, I am kind enough to simply say sorry.
    I understand the airline is working to address the passenger's concerns. I am glad of that. But as an African American, I know there are too many examples like this all over the nation.
    I hope one day, we will accept our collective diversity.

Translation:.
    As an African American woman I'm a deserving beneficiary of Cosmic Justice in whatever form it appears, so her whining proves she's a white supremacist bigot. This worthless nobody should shut her racist mouth about being evicted for my convenience, she's lucky United didn't go full David Dao on her. You may adore me now.

Rep. Lee stands out even among those determined to be curiosities rather than curious, those dull of mind and slow of wit, quick with tongue and temper, and on their better days merely tiresome exhibitionists. In her defense, she faithfully represents her constituents.
    I gotta wonder how Lee gets through a day on the hill. Do they pretend her canned shuck 'n jive, "collective diversity" for one, means something profound, or anything at all? Do they give her little treats and prizes so she won't annoy the grownups? Or do they stand in embarrassment, staring at their shoes for lack of any possible response to the incomprehensible?

And Sheila Sheila Sheila, if the half-glasses aren't believable on Schumer they're certainly not going to work for you. Actually, stop trying, nothing's going to help.

As for United Airlines, they keep finding new ways to treat customers like something they scraped off their boots. And when they get caught sphincter-kissing DC they should have the grace to own up to it. Do the right thing for once and shock the nation.

Next
    From the excellent 1942 British photo-essay, The life of an ATS ‘Ack Ack’ Girl, at Word War II Today:

"From 1941 all unmarried women between 20 and 30 years old were called up to join one of the auxiliary services. Later this conscription was extended to some married women. They were not intended to serve in the front line of battle – but for much of the war the front line was indistinguishable from the home front, especially with regard to Anti Aircraft gunnery".
    They were regularly strafed and killed in batches.

Next
    Aristotle warned of immigration in his treatise, Politics, of 350 BC. This is from Book 5, Chapter 3:

Another cause of revolution is difference of races which do not at once acquire a common spirit; for a state is not the growth of a day, any more than it grows out of a multitude brought together by accident. Hence the reception of strangers in colonies, either at the time of their foundation or afterwards, has generally produced revolution.
    [h/t orthosphere.wordpress.com]

Next
    The quote for this week comes from Francis Porretto at Liberty's Torch:
    Journalists dislike getting straight answers almost as much as politicians dislike giving them. They cannot be “reinterpreted.”

An aside: The most pathetic, self-selected losers are those who answer questions not asked. Meaning, the journalist makes a contentious statement then stops talking and looks at the interviewee. The correct response is an awkward silence, purposely so, followed by a request for a question. It exposes the setup for what it is and puts the burden for clarity where it belongs, on the journalist.

Next
    6.5 mm has become a popular rifle caliber of late. Ol' Remus keeps up with all the trendy trends, so I've had one for a while. A long while. The case length is a tiny 1.33 inches but it shoots a 75 grainer at most of 2,000 fps with just a pinch-o'-powder. It's a .25-20 Winchester, first marketed in 1895, which makes it only six years older than the 9x19mm Parabellum. The .25-20 is a necked down .32-20 of 1882, which was also ... no, that way lies madness.

Speaking of the 9x19mm, Ruger introduced a 10/22-like carbine in 9 mil, comes standard as a breakdown. They don't quite say it, but it looks like it uses the 10/22 trigger group. One reviewer measured a four pound break, as-is. Anyway, lots-o'-well thought out features and, it must be said, probably not something ol' Bill would have authorized for the "civilian" market.

It replaces the Ruger Police Carbine of 1996-2006, hence the name Ruger PC Carbine—which makes it the Police Carbine Carbine. It's looking like it will be their next 10/22. The aftermarket is burning the midnight oil as we speak. Alas, two range tests had FTE issues with CCI econo-fodder. I'll consider getting one after the first recall and design changes.

Next
    October
    ABC News - Philadelphia police unveil cars with bulletproof windows ... officer safety
    December

CBS Philly - City Council Approves Bill That Could Force Businesses To Remove Bulletproof Glass ... insults blacks

and finally,
    With single digit temperatures night and day, this is the time of year when the wood stove takes its place as the guarantor of a cozy winter. Wood heat corpuscles are the best kind because they're from an on-hand physical source rather than a contract or a promise. Joy, thy name is woodpile. Cleaning out the ashes, different name.

Well gang, 2017 is done and done. An amazing year, but in a century or so it won't even rate a mention in the footnotes of history. May 2018 be the same. But now it's time to step away from your reloading bench, time to put aside your stacking and turn off your vacuum packer. Yer ol' Woodpile Report awaits.

1949. Cadillac magazine ad

The '49 Caddy was a lightly refreshed '48 Caddy except with a new-for-'49 high compression V8 engine, an overhead valve design churning out 160 hp from 331 cubic inches of displacement. Power windows were standard but an automatic transmission—Hyda-Matic Drive, no less—was optional. The B Pillar is gone but a one-piece windshield would have to wait until the 1950 restyling.

The ad copy assures potential buyers of their rarified taste and general superiority, so ipso facto and shazam, only a Cadillac can answer their elevated automotive needs, it continues, a proposition only the pathetically envious would contest.

Typical for the era, the grille weighed up like a piano and the fenders could be drilled and tapped. The fashion-forward tail light bumps would metastasize into outright aeronautics in the years to come .

Shown is the Coup deVille, French for "town carriage" and GM-eese for "shorter wheel base".

Remus's notebook

Popular Mechanics - When Kodak Accidentally Discovered A-Bomb Testing ... in 1945 something weird was happening to Kodak's film

Baltimore Sun - Baltimore has now had 343 homicides in 2017, sets record for killings per capita ... city baffled why

Aviationist - Impressive Chinese Maritime Patrol Flying Boat Makes First Flight ... four-engine turboprop can land and take off in heavy seas

Daily Mail - Horrific New Year's Day assault on a female police officer in Paris was filmed by her attackers as they kicked her around like a rag doll ... escapees from Detroit or Baltimore perhaps

Conservative students’ ‘Deplorable Radio’ show remains banned from university airwaves ... used the word “tranny” during a live broadcast, police called to evict them

YouTube - Silicon Valley's Doomsday: Prepping For An Economic Apocalypse ... those who are creating the future are prepping for the consequences. Video. 17m 15s.
    (h/t Survival Blog)

This is, in its way, commendable. But it appears most of 'em are preparing to live a week in splendor, or a few weeks in comfort, but making little or no preparation for a long term catastrophe, meaning actual survival skills not involving Hepa filters or clever furniture.
    Many seem to lack stamina, perhaps not physically, but mentally. They believe when things get tough they're entitled to a better option. The ability to exercise options is a good definition of wealth. For the survivalist it may be a fatally bad expectation.

I've also noticed they won't believe what their eyes see. Everything has to fit their mental movie, no matter how blatantly contrary it is. It's fascinating to watch. It's a genuine skill, but not a survival skill.

I've long believed growing up rural and poor confers a survival advantage not replicable with training or gadgets. Coping with hard work, stress and scarcity aren't learned on weekends at a hobby retreat.

But, I wish 'em well. Y'gotta start somewhere.

Daily Signal - 1 of Every 5 Government Employees Has a 6-Figure Salary ... plus platinum-class benefits and an attitude

USA Today - Store closings: 17 retailers on the 2018 death watch ... the usual suspects
    The Hill - The more we learn about Amtrak derailment the stranger it gets

NBC News - America’s rifle: Why so many people love the AR-15 ... nearly an advertisement, with the obligatory admonitions

Daily Mail - Chicago's age of the Assault Rifle: Rival gangs turning to military weapons to settle disputes ... 140 people have been shot by rifles in the past 18 months
    As always, full of elementary errors and purple prose

Wired - This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop ... cheap, generic, demonstrably safe and effective. They say.

All Outdoor - Watch: How To Avoid Garand Thumb, Hickok45 gives a lesson ... includes video, 2m 55s

Intellihub - ‘Exqisite human leather’ products, wallets, belts, shoes, being sold online ... requires secret payment arrangements to be made

Return of Kings - 38 Pictures That Show The Decline Of America Since The 1950s

Alpha Game - Explaining the "strong female leadership" in The Last Jedi ... do please read the comments

Vox Popoli - The five stages of corporate convergence ... from "infiltrated" to "fully converged"

Phys Org - Support for right to deny service to same-sex couples is fueled not only by religion ... no contract involving coercion is valid, and refusal to enter a contract leaves both parties as they were, hence, no damages

iBankCoin - Facebook Dumps ‘Fake News’ Patrol After Spectacular Backfire ... clueless alt-left site made the good stuff more popular

Unz Review - 10 Ways Life in Russia Is Better Than in America ... everything's cheap and the food's better

Campus Reform - Prof urges 'abolition of white democracy' during lecture ... "No voting is going to help. No writing your congressperson. We need to smash white supremacy."

Stuff you may want to think about
    Synopsis with links

War, City Journal - Americans learned several misleading lessons from World War II. The first and greatest error was overestimating the effectiveness of military force. World War II created a new understanding of how wars are fought and won. But wars since then have not fit this paradigm, and many of our subsequent military mistakes came as a result of misapplying World War II’s lessons. Governing became understood as a matter of trained professionals applying management methods to public policy. It inspired the ambitious welfare-state policies of the postwar era, especially Johnson’s War on Poverty. We can't fight and win a “war” on poverty, or drugs, or cancer, because these things are nothing like war.

Green Berets, US Defense Watch - The army’s leaders, which consist mainly of social justice warriors, flaming liberals and back-stabbing ticket-punching, perfumed princes, have consistently demonstrated that they possess neither the warrior ethos nor the moral courage to challenge the social engineering insanity invading the lean green machine. One or several training personnel wrote a scathing letter, indicting senior Green Beret officers and enlisted men for essentially erasing any physical standards in order to successfully pass females through the program, while placating feminists in the Pentagon. Below are several passages ...

Fed tax, American Greatness - Federal taxes, whatever they were to be, had a simple requirement from the Constitution. They had to be the same for everyone, regardless of state of residency. But if one lives in a state with high income and property taxes, such as California, New York, or Illinois, under the old tax code you would be entitled to write off large sums of money from your federal tax bill that people in more reasonably taxed states were unable to deduct. Voters in blue states actually have to start paying for their expensive schemes themselves.

Populism, Amerika - Conservatives have for too long functioned as janitors. The Left does crazy stuff for awhile; conservatives rush in and try to fix everything before the Left takes over again, and this just keeps the Leftist system afloat. Conservatives start to regard themselves as having this role, and then the role shapes them. Trump is not a Republican; he respects what works and sees everything else as a parasite. He gestures with his right hand in a way that attacks the strongest points of the Left. They react, but at the same time, his left hand is quietly undoing whatever power enables them to have strength at all.

1940. Genoa Nevada

Genoa, population 939, is on the western border of Nevada near Lake Tahoe and Carson City. It's the oldest town in Nevada, predating statehood, claiming the first newspaper, hotel and court. Genoa has kept its authentic Old West appearance and has been used in John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies. Photos of same location in the '50s and now .

More stuff you may want to think about
    Synopsis with links

Global cooling, WND - Solar scientists are now increasingly forecasting a period of very low activity that will commence in the next few years, by around 2020 to 2025. The result? Cooling, even Little Ice Age conditions. In 1895, the panic was over an imminent ice age. Later, in the late 1920s, when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, the media jumped on a new threat – global warming, which continued into the late 1950s. Then in 1975, the New York Times’ headline blared, “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.” Then in 1981 it was back to global warming.

Principia Scientific - Seven New Papers Forecast Global Cooling & Mini Ice Age ... the pile of scientific papers grows higher

Earth has been in an "ice age"—the Pliocene-Quaternary—for 2.6 million years now. The last general glaciation ended 13,300 years ago, give or take a cold weekend. At present we're in an inter-glacial warm period. There have been many. It's cyclical, you see, like the predictions.

Geological records show the change from a short term variation, what the popular press likes to call a Little Ice Age, into a true glaciation period can begin with blinding speed, perhaps as little as a dozen years. At the beginning of the last one, sea level dropped something like thirty feet in about that time. At Glacial Maxiumum it had dropped around four hundred feet.

NASA, Sultan Knish - Obama had reimagined NASA as an “Earth Improvement Agency” that would push Global Warming and Muslim self-esteem. NASA’s iconic shuttles were turned into museum pieces. Children could peer at them through glass walls as the artifacts of another culture that actually did great things. President Trump is rebuilding NASA as an agency of human space exploration while discarding the post-modernist angst about human industrial progress that powers pseudoscientific myths about ‘Global Warming’. Ideologues who don’t believe in America, also don’t believe in Americans traveling to other worlds.

Prediction, PJ Media, Sarah Hoyt - It has become obvious that any man can be accused of harassment at any time by anyone. So, I predict that instead of giving HR more power, this will give companies pause before hiring women, which will lead to a lot of decent and qualified women being left unemployed. Companies that can’t avoid hiring women will either hire women to “make-believe” positions, in which they interact only or primarily with other women, or they will allow a lot more work-at-home.The long-term result of this will be the dismantling of the daycare and child-warehousing practice which has led to a lot of the left’s ascendency in education.

Choke point, Front Page - Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher famously observed that socialism works until you run out of other people’s money. The left's identity politics is running out of other people. Every scam has a choke point. That’s where the bait turns out to be the hook. The choke point is when the small minority expands to include you. And then it’s no longer a few billionaires. It’s the upper middle class. And then it’s the entire middle class. It’s all white people. It’s all men. And then it’s everyone. And that’s the scam. When they have worked through the most obvious targets of that resentment and greed, they will turn on anyone who can be resented or envied. And that's everyone.

Bloodbath, Raconteurrport - Importing the Third World to the West is merely a way to bootstrap draconian bloodbath wars between the current civilized populations, and the non-native invasive species. Trying to extrapolate a future trend without including the inevitable response to the current machinations is akin to suggesting that one could increase the zebra population of the veldt without the lions, leopards, and cheetahs paying the newcomers any mind or taking any action. The increase of The Diversity and the impending financial collapse of the Nanny State should long ago have suggested to anyone with the wits the two most obvious conclusions: Things are going to get sporty. You don't have enough ammo.

1940. DuBois Pennsylvania

DuBois is a town of about 7,500 in central Pennsylvania near ... um, near the rest of central Pennsylvania. Peak population was in 1920, around 13,700. John DuBois was the founder, hence the name, but coincidentally a direct translation of "du bois" from the French is "of wood" and it was a lumber town originally. It was also a coal mining town for a while, now it's a college and light manufacturing town. And a lumber town.

Even more stuff you may want to think about
    Synopsis with links

Swatting hoax, Market-Ticker - Cops in Wichita showed up at the house and shot an unarmed man who came to answer the door. The police claim that he "moved a hand toward the area of his waistband" as justification for shooting him. So what if he did? He was on his own property, in his own home. He had no knowledge of the "Swatting" phone call and thus no reason to expect the police to show up. He had done nothing illegal. It has now been reported he was unarmed. If he had been that changes nothing.

As always, Denninger takes it past the edge, but the "Simon Says" routine looks like it's sometimes a calculated excuse to shoot. This guy opened his door, stepped out, had several cops shouting at him at the same time, moved wrong and was killed. The choice can't be "resist and die" or "comply imperfectly and die". See the body-cam video at The Wichita Star to decide for yourself.

NY City crime, National Review - New York City’s formerly high-crime neighborhoods have experienced a stunning degree of gentrification over the last 15 years, thanks to the proactive-policing-induced conquest of crime. It is that gentrification which is now helping fuel the ongoing crime drop. Urban hipsters are flocking to areas that once were the purview of drug dealers and pimps, trailing in their wake legitimate commerce and street life, which further attracts law-abiding activity and residents in a virtuous cycle of increasing public safety. The degree of demographic change is startling.

If this were written by anyone but Heather Mac Donald it wouldn't have been published. Even so, she has to dance around the truth, namely: the number of African American People Of Colour went down so crime went down. Not much of a word count.

Unz Review - Is It Racist to Notice That on Average Blacks Shoot People More? ... If New York City had been all white in 2014 there would have been 32 murder arrests instead of 374

Neutron stars, Principia Scientific - Electric Universe Theory offers serious objections to the current concept of pulsars as almost unbelievably dense, very small diameter, possibly incredibly rapidly rotating, collapsed star cores with densities comparable to an atomic nucleus, composed entirely of neutronium. The observed varying periodicity of the Vela pulsar implies that these unbelievably rapidly rotating stars must instantaneously vary their rotation rates by possibly thousands of rpm. There also would have to be some phenomenon to so align the narrow beams such that they would be at least 108 times more likely to intersect the earth’s line of sight. This stretches any amount of credulity.

Jap carriers, National Interest - Reuters reported Japan is actively considering refitting its massive Izumo-class helicopter destroyers to carry American stealth fighters. Specifically, the Izumo-class destroyers—of which Japan has two ships—would be able to carry the F-35B, which has a vertical take-off and landing capability. Other newspapers have since confirmed the report, citing their own sources within the Japanese government. When the first ship was unveiled in 2013, many observers called it an “aircraft carrier in disguise.” It is not difficult to see why. The ships are actually larger than Spain and Italy’s short take-off and vertical landing aircraft carriers.

1944. Autrey France

A Panzer V, the famous Panther Tank, still smolders from a knockout hit in northeastern France. The Panther was cheap, fast, maneuverable, well armored and mounted a high-velocity 75mm main gun with better penetrating power under 2,500 meters than the Tiger's 88mm gun. The early builds were not, however, reliable, and the weak final drive was never corrected. About 6,000 were built during the war.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Thanks DD, and you know the content rule.

Your bandwidth ...

Yup. Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Thanks DD, and you know the content rule.
    In a nutshell, what is the content rule?
    I’m almost always posting from my phone, cut and paste is not always a simple thing.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

In a nutshell, what is the content rule?
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...-stories-on-TB

If you're on a phone or tablet and can't copy and paste the full story, mention that in your post, and most times someone will help you out...

Summerthyme