Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

BRKG Officials In New York Working MASSIVE 100-Car Pileup on I-90 Near Buffalo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4 Officials In New York Working MASSIVE 100-Car Pileup on I-90 Near Buffalo

What in the heck is the Thruway doing open?

Breaking911
    ‏Verified account @Breaking911
    6m6 minutes ago

Officials In New York Working MASSIVE 100-Car Pileup on I-90 Near Buffalo

(Video via Kadire Flowers)

On top. Horrible nasty weather.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

What the hell!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

First thought is lake effect snow whiteout. Can get real big pileups with no place to go when that happens.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

sandy reynolds
    ‏ @sandyreynolds81
    2m2 minutes ago
    sandy reynolds Retweeted Mike Seidel

#Buffalo #pileup & #EriePA more snow #Blizzard

Mike Seidel
    ‏Verified account @mikeseidel
    1h1 hour ago

Big pile up on I-90 eastbound between exits 49 and 50 in metro Buffalo. 15-20 cars & 10 tractor trailers involved in the accident.
    2 possible minor injuries.
    #Blizzard Warning northern Erie County including Buffalo until 1 AM.

Video via Kadire Flowers
    #FrozenAmerica

https://twitter.com/mikeseidel

Blizzard causes 100-car pileup in Buffalo, New York

Weather 21 minutes ago

Poor visibility and a snowstorm resulted in massive traffic delays in upstate New York, including a chain reaction of accidents on the I-90 involving dozens of vehicles.

More here, including other little videos:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/948305449161408512
    Attached Images

http://heavy.com/news/2018/01/buffal...mpression=true

Video at link of pile up

The current temperature in Buffalo, New York, is 19 degrees — and it’s snowing. The video above was posted on social media a short time ago. It shows a pile-up of about 100 cars and trucks, many of which collided with one another due to the icy road conditions.

“They all stuck (sic),” one of the guys in the car can be heard saying. The other guy in the vehicle can be heard saying “wow” a few times.

“Look at that truck,” another passenger says, filming a jackknifed tractor trailer. “This whole road is about to be shutdown for years,” he says.

“That’s ridiculous,” another voice can be heard saying.

Northern Erie County, New York, is currently under a blizzard warning, which will remain in effect until 1 a.m. on Wednesday, January 3.

According to the National Weather Service, a blizzard warning is issued when the two following “conditions are either occurring or expected within the next 12 to 18 hours.”

1. Snow and/or blowing snow reducing visibility to 1/4 mile or less for 3 hours or longer
    2. Sustained winds of 35 mph or greater or frequent gusts to 35 mph or greater.
    According to a public alert, traveling is very dangerous and drivers have been told to use extreme caution if they need to be on the roads. Those who do not have to travel are asked to stay off of the roads until the storm has passed and crews have had a chance to properly clear and treat the roads.

“Travel will be very hazardous, including during the evening commute,” reads the warning.

In addition to the slippery roadways, many of which are covered in snow and ice, there is a steady, 45-mph wind that is causing severely reduced visibility.

The Buffalo area is expecting an additional 1 to 3 inches by the time this weather system pushes through. On Wednesday, residents will get a bit of a break from the snow, but will still be dealing with cold temps, with a high hovering around 20 degrees. For those who will miss the white stuff, there will be scattered snow showers in the area on Thursday.

As for the remainder of the day today, western New York is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 7 p.m. local time.

Much of the northeast is experiencing brutal cold this week. In fact, parts of northern New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are experiencing single digit temps that feel like 30 below 0.

Later this week, the east coast may be in for some seriously nasty weather. A storm system is expected to move-in by mid-week, bringing along with it the potential for from serious snow in the Northeast. Some areas could see upwards of a foot of snow by the time this storm moves out.

“From near Statesboro, Georgia, to Florence, South Carolina; Fayetteville and Greenville, North Carolina; and Norfolk, Virginia, mostly snow is forecast to fall. Near this zone, a narrow swath of several inches of snow are in store. Enough snow is in store to cover roads and the landscape,” Accuweather reports.

Areas as far south as central Florida may also see some snowflakes out of this massive weather system.

Read More From Heavy
    Will it Snow in Florida? Weather System Brings Cold to Sunshine State
    Loading ...
    Read More
    New York, Snow
    Comments
    Leave a Reply
    Your email address will not be published.

Comment:

Name:

Email:

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    What the hell!
    that's the understatement of the year so far..

Crazy. They let this plane land.

Buffalo Airport
    ‏ @BUFAirport
    10m10 minutes ago

Welcome to #Buffalo @jetblue 1586 from @MCO 🌴❄️ – at Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF)

Little video on top:

https://twitter.com/BUFAirport

Shawn
    ‏ @cbr600f4iny
    3m3 minutes ago

When there is a #Blizzard in #Buffalo...you have to have a @FlyingBisonBrew
    #blizzardbock #bock #sixpack #sixpackblizzard #Whiteout #CraftBeer #blizzardwarning
    Attached Images

Glad I am able to STAY HOME. (It was 2 below here this AM and we still have snow from our first White New Year's Day, not expecting more till Thursday but still - black ice from the runoff from the mountains.)
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Just SHOCKED(!!) Not really.

This is Buffalo.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Athens, Tenn.
    Remember WHY?

Dave McKinley
    ‏Verified account @DaveMcKinley2
    9m9 minutes ago

One Death now confirmed in #Thruway accident which occurred during blizzard like conditions this afternoon near #Buffalo
    @WGRZ

It's sucky where I am in Rochester, but not as bad as these guys in the red areas. Those guys ALWAYS take a pounding:

TJ Pignataro
    ��
    ‏ @TJPignataro
    12m12 minutes ago

#Buffalo's got company east of Lake Ontario. #blizzard #RED
    Attached Images

Mark Dashner
    ‏ @markdas
    18m18 minutes ago

Tried to snowblow the sidewalk but only made it half way through the job due to cold and wind. I can only hope I'll be able to keep my #Buffalo card

Josh Potter
    ‏ @J_Potter
    21m21 minutes ago

I'm still going out tonight. I don't care if the weather kills me. I'm only here till Friday. #Buffalo

Yeah, the bars are open. Hockey games going on. They're posting pictures of lovely looking snacks like Buffalo Wings Cauliflower and Buffalo Chicken Wings Meatballs. They're crazy. Nom nom.

https://www.westviamidwest.com/buffalo-meatballs/
    Attached Images

The only way to deal with roads like that is to drive at a snail's pace, which no one is inclined to do. So, it's bumper car time!

Quote Originally Posted by blackjeep View Post
    The only way to deal with roads like that is to drive at a snail's pace, which no one is inclined to do. So, it's bumper car time!
    Around here, sometimes even driving slow doesn't matter. You can be crawling and BAM. It's the ICE. It's happened to me twice. Thank God nothing drastic happened.

Son and granddaughter are skiing at Holiday Valley. They are driving back to Cols. Oh tonight. Think they pick up 90 around Erie. Hope the weather is decent down there.
    God is pro-life!

Snoop Dog
    ‏ @MohSanoop
    38s39 seconds ago

Actual footage of @JetBlue flight 2466 landing in #Buffalo.

#Travel

https://twitter.com/MohSanoop

Quote Originally Posted by Maryh View Post
    Son and granddaughter are skiing at Holiday Valley. They are driving back to Cols. Oh tonight. Think they pick up 90 around Erie. Hope the weather is decent down there.

No. Erie just had 5+ feet of snow and is probably getting more as we speak. Buffalo is a blizzard with parts of the Thruway now closed.

Have your son check in here to see Thruway conditions:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/index.shtml
    Last edited by mzkitty; 01-02-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Roads here (east of Rochester out in the countryside) are really bad. I'm staying put tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcat View Post
    Roads here (east of Rochester out in the countryside) are really bad. I'm staying put tomorrow.
    Tomorrow's supposed to be a little "nicer" -- up to 23 degrees here. Good because I have to go out. Sigh.............

Anyway, here's this little map currently. Hope it stays south of us.

Spectrum News BUF
    ‏Verified account @SPECNewsBuffalo
    4m4 minutes ago

Lake snow hanging in there though in a much weaker and less problematic state than earlier this afternoon. This will taper off tonight and we look forward to break tomorrow from the snow and harsh cold. Watch the forecast on #WxOnThe1s
    Attached Images

This is why DH never entertained the idea of returning to the city he was born and raised in - Buffalo. Even though he has fond memories of the snow and the things they did to entertain themselves, as an adult no thanks. His sister still lives there. She sent us a picture of her White Xmas.

Only a matter of time. Happens every year.

On the plus side, Buffalo had a 47% chance of a White Christmas! ("Accuweather says the top five cities [likely to have a White Christmas] are Minneapolis (77 percent), Denver (50 percent), then Milwaukee, Detroit and Buffalo (all with a 47 percent chance).")

A couple of days ago we had a 40 car pile up on 31 in Muskegon. There was also a big pile up on I94 near Kalamazoo. Lake effect snow just keeps on coming. Sorry for those people in Buffalo.

The only way to deal with roads is to not go out unless you have to and even then stay close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post

Snoop Dog
    ‏ @MohSanoop
    38s39 seconds ago

Actual footage of @JetBlue flight 2466 landing in #Buffalo.

#Travel

https://twitter.com/MohSanoop
    Too funny. I love cats; they make me smile.

Bad combination: bitter cold winds over lake not yet frozen.

Seen worse when I lived there in the 60’s. Driveways drifted over with only the orange gulf antenna balls above the snow. We opened the hay mow Doors and sledded out the second story. In 77 slid around the 90 in Cleveland on 90 and clipped a deer in silver creek, the next guy in a brand new Vega cought it full on. The exits in that area are 20 miles apart so he had a long wait. What fun, sorry someone had to die.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Back in the 80's I was coming home after calling on Kodak in Rochester. Weather kept getting worse and worse. I had snow tires all around and front wheel drive and just kept going. When I passed Erie (I was on 90) I thought it was great that there were no cars because driving was getting sketchy. When I crossed the Ohio line a state cop stopped me and wanted to know what the hell I thought I was doing! Then, he told me that 90 in Pa. was closed. I told him I didn't know that. I told him I was just trying to get home and that our little farm was just 20 miles away. He let me go and told me to be careful. At times, on 90, I could feel the car riding up a bit on the snow. Funny, I was concerned, but without other folks around me, I figured I could make it.

BTW, it was a company car so I didn't really care much if I dumped it. I also had my "winter box" in the trunk which had heavy winter gear, food and all the other necessary stuff to survive driving around Altoona, Rochester, Buffalo, Erie and Meadville in the winter. I made a good living as a sales engineer until the horse got shot out from under me. Yep, the company died. That happened a lot back then. Those are other stories for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post

No. Erie just had 5+ feet of snow and is probably getting more as we speak. Buffalo is a blizzard with parts of the Thruway now closed.

Have your son check in here to see Thruway conditions:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/index.shtml
    Thanks mzkitty, I just heard from my son and they made it back to Cols. Whew!! Now I can sleep better! Thanks for the info.
    God is pro-life!

Yup more than once drove by the orange side of the rad markers. Always ran the sawdust retreads and always had a kit in the trunk. Best 2 wheel cars in the snow were a Vega wagon and a volare.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

And according to the weather channel, the weather is going to get even colder.

This absolutely has to be fake news!

All of the extra-smart Yankees I work with are so proud of their ability to drive on snow and ice. They complain that nobody here knows as much as they do about driving in stuff like that. Every time we have the glaze ice on the roads and some folks call in and can't make it for their shift, the rest of us have to endure their tales of bravery and skill; driving through mountainous hills of driving snow in a whiteout blizzard with winds howling over 900 mph and 70 feet of snow, etc.

I guess maybe the article could be true. Do you reckon that 100 carloads of us "Suthrunners" decided to take a trip through the northeast during this time of year?

It'd only take 4-5-6 of y'all spaced right to clip a few semis...
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Athens, Tenn.
    Remember WHY?

Ain't that the truth. I got rear-ended two months ago as result of that. Still don't have my vehicle out of the shop.

My Murano is AWD. If I keep away from other traffic and am on a straight road, I can go pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    And according to the weather channel, the weather is going to get even colder.
    Interesting....My daughter who lives between Cincinnati and Dayton woke up to frozen pipes this morning. I hope they don't freeze again tonight.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    My Murano is AWD. If I keep away from other traffic and am on a straight road, I can go pretty good.
    If you can keep away from other traffic. I commute 68 miles to work and even if I leave at 5:30 am, there's still too much "close" traffic. Couple that with the black ice we get in this sub-zero crap and there's no way to arrive at work without sore hands from gripping the wheel. I seem to recall you're from up here, so I suspect you remember what it was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    Interesting....My daughter who lives between Cincinnati and Dayton woke up to frozen pipes this morning. I hope they don't freeze again tonight.

Kathleen
    That can get expensive. We have water heat and I had to drain the entire system once when an ice storm took out power for a couple days to keep them from rupturing. One has to have a plan in place for extended cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    This absolutely has to be fake news!

All of the extra-smart Yankees I work with are so proud of their ability to drive on snow and ice. They complain that nobody here knows as much as they do about driving in stuff like that. Every time we have the glaze ice on the roads and some folks call in and can't make it for their shift, the rest of us have to endure their tales of bravery and skill; driving through mountainous hills of driving snow in a whiteout blizzard with winds howling over 900 mph and 70 feet of snow, etc.

I guess maybe the article could be true. Do you reckon that 100 carloads of us "Suthrunners" decided to take a trip through the northeast during this time of year?
    Bless you, drycreek! Bwahahaha! I love this!!!!

I have family heading towards buffalo tomorrow....and family heading south towards us tomorrow and thurs....and there's supposed to be southern snow then. Goodness! Of course, we won't get anything. We had 15 min of flurries a couple of weeks ago when even Louisiana had snow! And Mobile, for heaven's sake! Dh woke me and the kids at 520am, to see the flurries. It was pretty! Then my preg butt crawled back into my warm bed and zzzzzz. Sweet ds went outside around 630 and collected snowballs from the car windows....and my freezer has several ice balls from then still!

I miss snow. Not Buffalo snow, lol, but I miss a pretty ground covering a couple of times a yr...and I miss sledding down hills.