Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Nine-year-old girl is hit by bullet fragments after police officer fired two shots at a dog
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nine-year-old girl is hit by bullet fragments after police officer fired two shots at a dog

the good news is, the officer went home safe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...policeman.html

Nine-year-old girl is hit in the forehead by bullet fragments after police officer fired two shots at a dog that 'charged at him' but missed

• Officer shot twice at dog and missed but bullet fragments injured 9-year-old-girl
    • Police say dog 'charged at one of the officers' who's now on administrative leave
    • The two shots fired missed but ricocheted and hit the young girl in the forehead
    • She was treated at a local hospital and released Saturday evening
    • The case will be reviewed by the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office
    By Michelle Ganney For Dailymail.com
    Published: 09:37 EST, 2 January 2018 | Updated: 10:28 EST, 2 January 2018

An officer of the Wichita Police Department is on administrative leave after a shooting incident led to a bullet fragment injuring a nine-year-old girl.
    Police were summoned to a home in North Gentry, Kansas on Saturday evening following a domestic dispute and a suicidal person with a gun.
    Once police officers arrived at the scene, they say 'a mid-sized mixed-breed dog charged at one of the officers,' KWCH, which led to the officer firing two shots at the canine that ultimately missed but ricocheted and hit the young girl in the forehead.

Apparently the officer, who's only been with the force for seven months, then 'pulled his service weapon and shot at the dog, missing it. The round struck the hard surface floor of the residence and broke into fragments.'

Danielle Maples was furious at the turn of events. 'I'm mortified because there were so many things that could have been done differently, but were not,' she said

'A piece of a fragment ricocheted, striking a nine-year-old girl in the forehead, just above her right eye. She was treated at a local hospital and released Saturday evening,' police said.
    No one was seriously injured, however the mother, Danielle Maples, was furious at the turn of events. 'I'm mortified because there were so many things that could have been done differently, but were not,' she said.
    She claims her and her husband, who is the suicidal man in question, were outside when police arrived and they never asked permission to enter the house.
    Maples said within minutes of police arriving she heard 'two shots and screaming.'

My whole intention of calling was to keep everyone safe and that didn't happen,' she said. Charlie O'Hara, the family's attorney, says police need to review their policies. 'I think we all need to look at what judgment is being done by our police officers here and where they're getting that they can act like this,' he stated.

The case will be reviewed by the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office and the department will conduct an internal review.
    Maples said she initially called 911 Saturday night as her husband was threatening to harm himself with a gun.
    Police say Maple's husband was cooperative and taken for a mental health exam.

pics at link

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Officer Safety strikes again!!!
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

So he missed and did not get bitten?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Quote Originally Posted by Knighttemplar View Post
    Correct. Turns out neither the dog nor the 9 year old girl was that big a threat.
    Who knew?
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

I want to know what type of "canine" he was shooting at.

Probably a chihuahua
    Gammas stand apart, staking out and defending their space, finding their own mate, showing no interest in dominating the Betas.

Essentially, they avoid all but necessary, cautious interaction with Alphas and Betas.

Mixed breed mid sized...

hmmm...

And he can't shoot worth shit either.
    Gammas stand apart, staking out and defending their space, finding their own mate, showing no interest in dominating the Betas.

Essentially, they avoid all but necessary, cautious interaction with Alphas and Betas.

What a sad turn of events

Cops need to realize that if all cops share in the respect and admiration when one becomes a hero for an act of bravery, so to do all cops share in the shame and loss of respect when one of their own does something wrong.
    Police your own or you sure won't like what the voting public decides as the correct solution.

You know the old saying in the military. "One aw shit, cancels out 100 attaboys"
    The same holds true for cops.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

I've said it many times but I wish that a individual state requirement for police officer training is mandated canine management training. It could be done in a day or so by qualified trainers. Most of the cops that shoot dogs are located in urban or suburban areas and most of them have never had a dog in their life and so don't know how to read the body language nor how to defuse the situation. I know a lot of cops and work with some of them and to a man they love dogs and most have dogs of their own and none of them have ever had to shoot one. One of the ones I work with is a retired Michigan State Police trooper who was a noted K9 handler and he agrees on more training for new officers and refresher training for existing officers that have never had the training.

It would be extremely rare for a dog needing to be shot as there are almost always other management techniques that can be used including chemical spray. Tasers might be ineffective due to the fur on the dogs but for some short hair dogs I'm sure the tasers would work as well. The vast majority of dogs even if they do bite you it's going to be a weak front of the mouth bite and that usually out of fear. The full and deep grip bites are the ones that will tear you up. There are times where to protect a child or others a animal might need to be shot but I'd bet that with some decent training on canine management 90% of the shootings could be avoided.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Correct. Turns out neither the dog nor the 9 year old girl was that big a threat.
    The girl may have been a threat, but luckily he neutralized her.

Rule 4 violation....Didn't know the area BEHIND the target.

==========================================

Yo. Blue clad twat. If you can't handle the gun in the face of a charging dog, and HIT said THREAT (even if it IS only a threat in YOUR mind) perhaps you need to either do a TONNE of range time (which means you MIGHT need to buy more than ONE box of shells) or change your line of work to something befitting your fear and technical operations capability level.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    I've said it many times but I wish that a individual state requirement for police officer training is mandated canine management training. It could be done in a day or so by qualified trainers. Most of the cops that shoot dogs are located in urban or suburban areas and most of them have never had a dog in their life and so don't know how to read the body language nor how to defuse the situation. I know a lot of cops and work with some of them and to a man they love dogs and most have dogs of their own and none of them have ever had to shoot one. One of the ones I work with is a retired Michigan State Police trooper who was a noted K9 handler and he agrees on more training for new officers and refresher training for existing officers that have never had the training.

It would be extremely rare for a dog needing to be shot as there are almost always other management techniques that can be used including chemical spray. Tasers might be ineffective due to the fur on the dogs but for some short hair dogs I'm sure the tasers would work as well. The vast majority of dogs even if they do bite you it's going to be a weak front of the mouth bite and that usually out of fear. The full and deep grip bites are the ones that will tear you up. There are times where to protect a child or others a animal might need to be shot but I'd bet that with some decent training on canine management 90% of the shootings could be avoided.
    And since that is the case, it has been speculated that the rash of dog shootings is deliberate. That there is a political motivation for destroying people's pets.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Rule 4 violation....Didn't know the area BEHIND the target.

==========================================

Yo. Blue clad twat. If you can't handle the gun in the face of a charging dog, and HIT said THREAT (even if it IS only a threat in YOUR mind) perhaps you need to either do a TONNE of range time (which means you MIGHT need to buy more than ONE box of shells) or change your line of work to something befitting your fear and technical operations capability level.
    Rule #1 he didn't care
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

I almost had to shoot three dogs yesterday, two wolfhounds and a pit bull. They'd gotten out of their house and come across the soccer field at a dead run just as Aja and I were finished her run. Fortunately, I hadn't brought Hermione along. I was able to hold them off by growling at them (and standing my ground).

And the rule that trumps all other rules - HE DIDN'T HAVE TO CARE.
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I'm as offended by all the dog shootings as everyone else, and I'm in no way defending the officer's actions, which appear to be careless at best. But ... if you've called the cops about a situation that could well entail them entering your home, it might be a good idea to have your pet dogs secured somewhere out of the way before the cops arrive. If a cop enters a home in response to an emergency call and the first thing he sees is a dog running toward him, well, it's not exactly a recipe for a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucus Sunday View Post
    I'm as offended by all the dog shootings as everyone else, and I'm in no way defending the officer's actions, which appear to be careless at best. But ... if you've called the cops about a situation that could well entail them entering your home, it might be a good idea to have your pet dogs secured somewhere out of the way before the cops arrive. If a cop enters a home in response to an emergency call and the first thing he sees is a dog running toward him, well, it's not exactly a recipe for a happy ending.
    While this is good advice in any 911 situation, I think mama may have had her hands full dealing with suicidal daddy. Women can only multitask so much....
    "Susie, get in the basement and take Fido with you so that when the nice police officers show up they don't shoot either of you." (While attempting to restrain daddy.)

Surely that officer was under-equipped. He needs to be sent out with full body armor and frag grenades, a napalm flame-thrower, grenade launcher and scatterable mines. That should protect him from dangerous little girls and barking dogs.

but the big question is did he go home safe,
    apparently the little girl did not.

I do have to say that it does not take a rocket scientist to see that dog has a lot of "Pit" in it. I think the Mixed breed thing is a farce. Pit owners are even using that description now to get around insurance company requirements.
    But not likely to die free

Quote Originally Posted by Rucus Sunday View Post
    Well, most of these dog shootings ain't because the homeowner called them. No, most of them are because they got the wrong address or someone called in a false report or something else stupid. And the fact is, you can put your dog up or your dog can run AWAY from said idiots in blue and they will still kill your dog! If you google cops shoot dog, you will get lots of sick ass stories about it.
    What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. Its not good at much else. Author Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    Surely that officer was under-equipped. He needs to be sent out with full body armor and frag grenades, a napalm flame-thrower, grenade launcher and scatterable mines. That should protect him from dangerous little girls and barking dogs.
    And a Predator wrist nuke-just in case he loses.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

I ride a bike and carry a spray called halt. It shoots about 12' and cost about $7 and can be used quite a few times. I have yet to see a dog it does not stop right then and right there. The dogs seem fine the next day but don't get very close any more. They should carry that as i usually find a dog chasing someone is usually being chased by a kid.

My .357 snubby works faster.

Don't forget, per the OP, both parties outside. No warrant. No permission to enter. The only way to beat the system, stay the hell away from the system.

Lil girl hit the blue-line lottery.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    My .357 snubby works faster.
    I thought about that but can you hit a dog from a bicycle with one hand and miss the kid chasing the dog?

Wichita again? Jeez.

At that instant in time, I wouldn’t give a shit. But then, I don’t ride a bike, and wouldn’t shoot a dog for attacking ME unless it had me firmly. But if it/they are coming at my pups, BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!

At that instant in time, I wouldn’t give a shit. But then, I don’t ride a bike, and wouldn’t shoot a dog for attacking ME unless it had me firmly. But if it/they are coming at my pups, BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!
    Happy Hunting....I am more worried about them getting tangled in my wheels at 15-20 mph the wreck would hurt me worse that the dog could. My original point however is there are very few times I believe the police should have to shoot a dog.
    You don't hear about mailmen shooting dogs or getting mauled.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighttemplar View Post
    I bet the dog wasn't even charging. Probably just looked at the officer and barked. Doing what dogs do.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyU View Post
    I thought about that but can you hit a dog from a bicycle with one hand
    Used to be a line of revolvers for exactly that purpose. Check out velo-dog revolvers.

Police are trigger happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Police are trigger happy.
    If your training focuses on how to use a hammer, everything will look like a nail.

I almost had to shoot three dogs yesterday, two wolfhounds and a pit bull. They'd gotten out of their house and come across the soccer field at a dead run just as Aja and I were finished her run. Fortunately, I hadn't brought Hermione along. I was able to hold them off by growling at them (and standing my ground).
    This is another reason to carry a gun with you. A gun is not only for crime.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    Well, most of these dog shootings ain't because the homeowner called them. No, most of them are because they got the wrong address or someone called in a false report or something else stupid. And the fact is, you can put your dog up or your dog can run AWAY from said idiots in blue and they will still kill your dog! If you google cops shoot dog, you will get lots of sick ass stories about it.
    In my 20 years in law enforcement, in a 60+ man department, not one single officer ever shot a dog. I guess we were just that good.

Fu*king moron is the best I can come up with.

They have these classes now but you cant fix stupid with a class. Maybe I am wrong but if a dog is close enough to be a real threat, there should be no way that you can miss it, especially twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    In my 20 years in law enforcement, in a 60+ man department, not one single officer ever shot a dog. I guess we were just that good.
    How can that be? Aren't you all a bunch of jack booted thugs that just want to go around beating your wives or girlfriends and shooting dogs?
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Aren't you all a bunch of jack booted thugs that just want to go around beating your wives or girlfriends and shooting dogs?
    Jackbooted thugs never admit to being jackbooted thugs. It's part of the training. I worked with jackbooted thugs for many years, and they managed to hide it remarkably well. Some of them seemed almost like decent human beings, but you can always tell if you know what to look for.

With the resent shootings one thinks Wichita police are a quick draw McGraw police dept. and Baba Looey better thake cover...

I am not sure what is worse. His attempt to shoot a dog that was supposedly charging him, or that he missed said dog, didn't take into account the child behind line of fire and caused an injury even if random luck and not his mastery of firearms. I mean he definitely never to carry a firearm or be in law enforcement as he is a lawsuit(s) waiting to happen starting with this one and probably a dead bystander at some point and time.