Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

RACE Baltimore Residents Blame Record-High Murder Rate On Lower Police Presence
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baltimore Residents Blame Record-High Murder Rate On Lower Police Presence

December 31, 2017

For the third year in a row, Baltimore, Md., has had more than 300 murders, reaching a new record of murders per number of residents in 2017.

Some residents attribute the high murder rate to relaxed police patrols in the city following high-profile cases of police brutality. Officers have backed off in neighborhoods, like the one where Freddie Gray was arrested.

The Rev. Kinji Scott, a pastor in Baltimore who's held positions in local city government, says the opposite needs to happen.

"We wanted the police there," Scott says. "We wanted them engaged in the community. We didn't want them beating the hell out of us, we didn't want that."

He's among activists who are calling for police reform to reduce the violence in Baltimore and several other high-crime cities across the U.S. that he says haven't seen change. That change begins with a conversation between the communities directly involved, Scott says.

"We need the front line police officers and we need the heart of the black community to step to the forefront of this discussion," he says. "And that's when we're going to see a decrease in crime."

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.
    Interview Highlights

On the current state of community safety in Baltimore

When you think about young people who are out here facing these economic challenges and are homeless and living places that are uncertain, and you're a parent you're scared. Not just for yourself really, but for your children.

The average age of a homicidal victim in Baltimore City right now is 31 years old. We had a young man who attended one of the prime high schools, [Baltimore Polytechnic Institute], Jonathan Tobash, and he was 19 years old, he was a Morgan State student. And he was killed on his way to the store. That's the state of Baltimore right now.

On whether the community wanted police to back off after the death of Freddie Gray

No. That represented our progressives, our activists, our liberal journalists, our politicians, but it did not represent the overall community. Because we know for a fact that around the time Freddie Gray was killed, we start to see homicides increase. We had five homicides in that neighborhood while we were protesting.

What I wanted to see happen was that people would be able to trust the relationship with our police department so that they would feel more comfortable. We'd have conversations with the police about crime in their neighborhood because they would feel safer. So we wanted the police there. We wanted them engaged in the community. We didn't want them beating the hell out of us, we didn't want that.

On whether the high murder rate is unique to Baltimore

It's not. I lost my brother in St. Louis in 2004; just lost my cousin in Chicago. No it's not unique, and that's the horrible thing.

On whether Ferguson, the killing of Michael Brown, and the birth of the Black Lives Matter movement has brought change

The primary thrust nationwide is what President Obama wanted to do: focus on building relationships with police departments and major cities where there had been a history of conflict. That hasn't happened. We don't see that. I don't know a city Baltimore for certain we've not seen any changes in those relationships. What we have seen is that the police has distanced themselves, and the community has distanced themselves even further. So the divide has really intensified, it hasn't decreased.

And of course we want to delineate the whole culture of bad policing that exists nobody denies that but as a result of this, we don't see the level of policing we need in our community to keep the crime down in our cities that we are seeing bleed to death.

On whether he's optimistic for 2018

I am not. Because I look at the conclusion of 2017, these same cities St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Chicago these same black cities are still bleeding to death and we're still burying young men in these cities.

I'm a preacher, I want to be hopeful, but not as it stands, no. Not until we really have a real conversation with our front line officers in the heart of our black communities that does not involve our people who are "leaders."

We need the front line police officers and we need the heart of the black community to step to the forefront of this discussion. And that's when we're going to see a decrease in crime.

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57482...olice-presence

Baltimore breaks city record for killings per capita in 2017

Jan 1, 2018

Baltimore has set a new per-capita homicide record as gunmen killed for drugs, cash, payback - or no apparent reason at all.

A surge of homicides in the starkly divided city resulted in 343 killings in 2017, bringing the annual homicide rate to its highest ever - roughly 56 killings per 100,000 people. Baltimore, which has shrunk over decades, currently has about 615,000 inhabitants.

"Not only is it disheartening, it's painful," Mayor Catherine Pugh told The Associated Press during the final days of 2017, her first year in office.

The main reasons are the subject of endless interpretation. Some attribute the increase to more illegal guns, the fallout of the opioid epidemic, or systemic failures like unequal justice and a scarcity of decent opportunities for many citizens. The tourism-focused Inner Harbor and prosperous neighborhoods such as Canton and Mount Vernon are a world away from large sections of the city hobbled by generational poverty.

Others blame police, accusing them of taking a hands-off approach to fighting crime since six officers were charged in connection with the 2015 death of Freddie Gray, a black man whose fatal spinal cord injury in police custody triggered massive protests that year and the city's worst riots in decades.

"The conventional wisdom, or widely agreed upon speculation, suggests that?the great increase in murders is happening partly because the police have withdrawn from aggressively addressing crime in the city's many poor, crime-ridden neighborhoods," said Donald Norris, professor emeritus of public policy at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Even as arrests have declined to their lowest level in years, police say their officers are working hard in a tough environment. They note the overwhelming majority of Baltimore's crime has long been linked to gangs, drugs and illegal guns.

"The vast majority of our kids and residents of this city aren't into criminal activity like this. It's that same revolving group of bad guys that are wreaking havoc for people's families," said T.J. Smith, the chief police spokesman whose own younger brother was the city's 173rd homicide victim in 2017.

Baltimore's homicide rate started to surge after Gray's death in 2015, a year when the city saw over 340 slayings. There's been a depressingly steady march of killings since.

Violent crime rates in Baltimore have been notoriously high for decades and some locals sardonically refer to their city as "Bodymore" due to the annual body count. But prior to 2015, Baltimore's killings had generally been on the decline. Before rates in recent years eclipsed it, Baltimore's homicide rate had peaked with 353 killings in 1993, or some 49 killings per 100,000 people. Baltimore had over 700,000 inhabitants back then, making the per-capita rate lower than in 2017.

Patrick Sharkey, a sociologist at New York University, described Baltimore as a place "where there is an urgent need to make sure that neighborhoods do not continue to fall apart and the population doesn't give up on the city."

Pugh, who took office?as mayor in December 2016, said her year-old administration is focused on reducing crime, boosting police recruits, and improving long-neglected neighborhoods. She told attendees at a candlelight vigil she hosted for victims of violence that "this will become the safest city in America."

Attending the vigil were Norman and Yvonne Armstrong, who struggled for words to describe their heartache since losing their son, Shawn, to gun violence. The working family man, a 31-year-old father of three, was fatally shot at a Baltimore carwash in September. His murder is unsolved.

"The kids out there with guns don't care about anything," said Norman Armstrong, the pain of grief etched on his face.

Among the names behind the 2017 numbers is Jonathan Tobash, a 19-year-old college student who embodied the best hopes of his Baltimore community. Police say the sophomore at Morgan State University was shot to death Dec. 18 after stumbling onto a robbery in progress outside a convenience store near his family's home.

Ericka Alston-Buck, who founded the Kids Safe Zone community center in the rough Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood, said concentrated poverty must be addressed and a measure of healing has to take place in order to truly tackle high rates of violence in Baltimore.

"Hurt people hurt people. No one's doing anything to close those holes in their souls," she said. "As long as no one does that, nothing is going to change."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/b...-2017-52083860

Two Baltimore killings reported on first day of 2018

Two men died in shootings Monday afternoon, marking the city’s first homicides of 2018, police said.

The killings come as the city continues to struggle to curb violence. Baltimore saw the highest number of killings per capita in 2017, with 343 homicides.

Police were called about 3:40 p.m. to the 2000 block of Eagle St. in the Carrollton Ridge neighborhood in South Baltimore for a shooting. Officers found an unidentified man who was suffering from a gunshot wound to the neck.

He was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center where he died a short time later, police said.

About two hours later, officers were called to a parking lot in the 5100 block of Goodnow Road in the Frankford neighborhood in East Baltimore for a double shooting.

Officers found two men who had been shot sitting in a white Infiniti. A 30-year-old in the driver’s seat had gunshot wounds to the head and torso, and was pronounced dead a short time later at an area hospital.

The passenger, a 36 year-old man, had been shot in the hip. He was taken to an area hospital. His injury is not life-threatening, police said.

Homicide detectives are investigating both shootings. Anyone with information is asked to call detectives at 410-396-2100 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7LOCKUP, or text a tip to 443-902-4824.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...101-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post
    "We need the front line police officers and we need the heart of the black community to step to the forefront of this discussion," he says. "And that's when we're going to see a decrease in crime."
    And when you spit on the police and call them pigs, they aren't going to give you a big hug and want to help you.

The Rev. Kinji Scott, a pastor in Baltimore who's held positions in local city government, says the opposite needs to happen.

"We wanted the police there," Scott says. "We wanted them engaged in the community. We didn't want them beating the hell out of us, we didn't want that."

He's among activists who are calling for police reform to reduce the violence in Baltimore and several other high-crime cities across the U.S. that he says haven't seen change. That change begins with a conversation between the communities directly involved, Scott says.

The solution is simple, as many have previously stated: all black cops, all black prosecutors, all black judges, and all black prisons.

The solution is simple, as many have previously stated: all black cops, all black prosecutors, all black judges, and all black prisons.
    It will be just like those wildly successful african countries.
    Last edited by Millwright; 01-01-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Stupid should hurt, are ya feeling the pain of your stupidity. Cry me a river.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Just by being black, you have a higher chance of being murdered than a cop does. Black lives matter? Only if killed by a cracker. The rest of the time, not so much.

You reap what you sow.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

An dey figgered dat out all by deyselves.
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

An dey figgered dat out all by deyselves.
    I blame record-high murder rate on criminals.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Freddie Gray was a heroin dealer

He was also supposed to be home in bed recovering from neck surgery
    Not on the street dealing drugs

I don't care what the back story is about the paddy wagon ride

When a heroin deals dies that IS GOOD NEWS

hey yo -
    try not prosecuting the po po when he jus be doin' him job all up da hood nah. and try not havin sum uppity she boon prosecutor 'n mayya nah - try dat sheet 'n get bac wid us nah, hea?
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post

A surge of homicides in the starkly divided city resulted in 343 killings in 2017, bringing the annual homicide rate to its highest ever - roughly 56 killings per 100,000 people. Baltimore, which has shrunk over decades, currently has about 615,000 inhabitants.

I guess "citizen" does have kind of a positive, contributing connotation & might not be too accurate here...

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post

He was also supposed to be home in bed recovering from neck surgery
    Not on the street dealing drugs
    Attempts to polish his memory with unconfirmed tales of work ethic will not be admissible by this court!
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Adults with the IQs of children interbreeding amongst themselves.........and this is what you get.......

sure the Grey case crap didn't help the situation .... but .... Baltimore isn't any different than the other major cities with a ghetto area - if there's a shooting and 35 BLACKS witness it .... ZERO will come forward with info - what goes down in the ghetto stays in the ghettto ....

Baltimore is under a 1M - 300 shooting deaths - that's beyond bad - that's Somali warlord numbers ....
    Illini Warrior

"Not only is it disheartening, it's painful," Mayor Catherine Pugh told The Associated Press during the final days of 2017, her first year in office.

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post

she was stupid enough to take Obammy advice - ''Give them room to express themselves" ...
    Illini Warrior

Here's a suggestion to Baltihorrible. The only way to beat the system is to stay the hell away from the system. All your anti-gun BS and stooopud talk AND BLM crap has got you in this shape. Anyone with half a brain and any means has left your decrepit
    enclave of co-dependency. Most of us here in flyover redneckville aren't killing each other on a daily basis therefore we don't see the want or need to deal with police. BTW for the record, I've had several leo in my family. Don't want to see even them in uniform.

Fix your own problems or learn to live with an occasional freddie gray.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

They got what they asked for, no police, and now the blacks are killing each other in droves and the so called leaders want them back. Typical liberal thinking, look at today and not in the future and I do not blame the police for backing off.

Why do peoples on this board, continue to call the defective,
    POS FUSA Africans, who are the (dreaded N word) , BLACKS?

Blacks aren't, and never have been, nor ever will be,
    the problem in Baltimore, or the other ghetto hell holes,
    that the major metro areas have become.

Its the POS FUSA Africans(the dreaded N word), that are the problem.
    Please learn and know, the incredible difference.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.

Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

Quote from the article: On whether he's optimistic for 2018

I am not. Because I look at the conclusion of 2017, these same cities — St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Chicago — these same black cities are still bleeding to death and we're still burying young men in these cities.

I'm a preacher, I want to be hopeful, but not as it stands, no. Not until we really have a real conversation with our front line officers in the heart of our black communities that does not involve our people who are "leaders."

The dude is a preacher. Then start preaching how to behave according to what God says. Don't be gettin' girls pregnant when you aren't married. If you don't work, you don't eat. Have respect for authority as long as they aren't going against God's laws. If the black pastors did that it would help a lot.
    It is not the police's fault.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    They got what they asked for, no police, and now the blacks are killing each other in droves and the so called leaders want them back. Typical liberal thinking, look at today and not in the future and I do not blame the police for backing off.
    INDEED
    it would be nice if we could stand back and "let the problem solve itself" - but they are slow learners and reproduce faster than rabbits - so that's not likely to happen any time soon
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. REV 3:16

"The primary thrust nationwide is what President Obama wanted to do: focus on building relationships with police departments and major cities where there had been a history of conflict. That hasn't happened. We don't see that. I don't know a city — Baltimore for certain — we've not seen any changes in those relationships."

The only thing Obama wanted to do as far as relationships between blacks and cops was to destroy and working relationship and insert hatred! Every chance that fraud could get he injected himself into the narrative and took the side of a criminal, or drug dealer against law enforcement and stoked the fires of racial discord and violence. On multiple times he would open his trap before the facts were known and side with the thugs, and out right terrorist organisation BLM,who openly called for the killing of cops and he would not even speak out against them the piece of shit.

The black community has a code of silence when it comes to crime, they refuse to speak up, yet cry like babies when that crime hits home, and go on the TV and wail and want some one to come forward and speak out to who killed my poor baby!! NO ONE is going to help you, when you will not speak up when something happens and YOU YOURSELF turn a blind eye to it! Their whole culture needs to change before anything can be done to stop the rampart crime in the black community. Then NEED TO HELP THEMSELVES BEFORE ANYONE CAN HELP THEM. If they insist upon a code of silence, then no amount of police can save them, a cop cannot be placed into every home, and follow everyone around 24/7/365. Change your attitude first, then ask for help, and perhaps you can live in a civilized world among civilized people. But change is needed first.
    Rusty in NC
    Don't tread on me!
    sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
    Wickr tiger133

amarilla:
    The dude is a preacher. Then start preaching how to behave according to what God says. Don't be gettin' girls pregnant when you aren't married. If you don't work, you don't eat. Have respect for authority as long as they aren't going against God's laws. If the black pastors did that it would help a lot.

AMEN - but the crowd in the church house PROBABLY isn't the problem - it be dah boyz up dah hood nah.

the genetic predisposition to violence and sloth - fueled by the voices of their own "leaders" the flames of it all fanned by media pushing an anti cop agenda . . .

what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Re: post 21
    Nowski, I must respectfully disagree for the reason that the law-abiding members of that race have enabled the more base elements to thrive. I hold them accountable because since the 60s they've let the leaders and the laggers ruin their advances. The middle better clean their own house before whitey has to do it.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by tiger13 View Post
    "The primary thrust nationwide is what President Obama wanted to do: focus on building relationships with police departments and major cities where there had been a history of conflict. That hasn't happened. We don't see that. I don't know a city — Baltimore for certain — we've not seen any changes in those relationships."

The only thing Obama wanted to do as far as relationships between blacks and cops was to destroy and working relationship and insert hatred! Every chance that fraud could get he injected himself into the narrative and took the side of a criminal, or drug dealer against law enforcement and stoked the fires of racial discord and violence. On multiple times he would open his trap before the facts were known and side with the thugs, and out right terrorist organisation BLM,who openly called for the killing of cops and he would not even speak out against them the piece of shit.

The black community has a code of silence when it comes to crime, they refuse to speak up, yet cry like babies when that crime hits home, and go on the TV and wail and want some one to come forward and speak out to who killed my poor baby!! NO ONE is going to help you, when you will not speak up when something happens and YOU YOURSELF turn a blind eye to it! Their whole culture needs to change before anything can be done to stop the rampart crime in the black community. Then NEED TO HELP THEMSELVES BEFORE ANYONE CAN HELP THEM. If they insist upon a code of silence, then no amount of police can save them, a cop cannot be placed into every home, and follow everyone around 24/7/365. Change your attitude first, then ask for help, and perhaps you can live in a civilized world among civilized people. But change is needed first.
    BINGO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Nowski, I must respectfully disagree for the reason that the law-abiding members of that race have enabled the more base elements to thrive. I hold them accountable because since the 60s they've let the leaders and the laggers ruin their advances. The middle better clean their own house before whitey has to do it.
    BINGO!!!! two in a row

And Baltimore was one of those cities that will pay you to live there! Here's three links of stories about cities that will pay you to move there. Who wants to live in a city where the place you shop and work in, is continually burned down. You don't even know if you're going to make it home at night. I say leave them be, let them kill each other, less breeders, EBT cards, Obamaphones, free medical, etc. Right there is the root of their problems. Socialism breeds these types of animals.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...828-story.html

https://nypost.com/2017/10/24/these-...to-move-there/

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifest...to-move-there/

any body see the breitbart headline today about the massive riots in Paris officers attacked and 500 cars burnt
    and the news reporter filming this referred to the participants as having an African appearance
    Those rats are contaminating the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by 33dInd View Post
    any body see the breitbart headline today about the massive riots in Paris officers attacked and 500 cars burnt
    and the news reporter filming this referred to the participants as having an African appearance
    Those rats are contaminating the world as we know it.
    Yep; they sure are.

We have the Paris monkeyshines over @ the savage TNB thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Exactly! Leave them be to kill each other. They are like packs of chimps who do kill other chimps. Let Baltimore be the clear example of what knee grow on knee grow does to a society. It's better than watching a movie on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
    You reap what you sow.
    This!

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Nowski View Post
    Why do peoples on this board, continue to call the defective,
    POS FUSA Africans, who are the (dreaded N word) , BLACKS?

Blacks aren't, and never have been, nor ever will be,
    the problem in Baltimore, or the other ghetto hell holes,
    that the major metro areas have become.

Its the POS FUSA Africans(the dreaded N word), that are the problem.
    Please learn and know, the incredible difference.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.

Nowski

I'm trying to be nice and decent for a change, LOL LOL LOL

Wait a minute. All this savage crime is happening in BLACK areas by BLACK people. Simple. It is the fault of the white guys.

I lived near Baltimore for 30+ years. It has been sad to see its thriving blue collar ethnic neighborhoods go right down the tubes. Fells Point, PigTown, Little Italy, rows and rows of brick homes with marble stoops all the way from Federal Street, to Fleet Street-Inner Harbor, once gleaming bright, now burned out, boarded up, with drugs openly sold on the various cross streets..........awful. The people living there did this. They can have it.
    Go to Church. Pray.
    "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God. But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice" ....Psalm 68

Not on the perpetrators, in my town in the UK there are no murders and no police presence..........

So this analysis is completely useless..........

Quote Originally Posted by homepark View Post
    I lived near Baltimore for 30+ years. It has been sad to see its thriving blue collar ethnic neighborhoods go right down the tubes. Fells Point, PigTown, Little Italy, rows and rows of brick homes with marble stoops all the way from Federal Street, to Fleet Street-Inner Harbor, once gleaming bright, now burned out, boarded up, with drugs openly sold on the various cross streets..........awful. The people living there did this. They can have it.
    So what is the answer, ring fencing IMO might help for starters to protect the lawful areas.........this is only an initial suggestion...........

They ruin everything.

I too lived just outside of Baltimore for 22 years. The problem goes back to the 60s when the progressive Democraps disarmed and neutered the good Blacks and made them defenseless against the criminals, then they continued to make it harder and harder for good people. Destroyed their families and their way of life. There aren't many of them left, they have been killed or driven out by the hood rats. The bottom line for the cities now is to let them burn down.